Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, in one of the pre-race interviews they showed he said something about not dwelling too much on either the highs or the lows, which was I found interesting.  I.E., if he does really well, don't dwell on that as he may forget the hard work that was required to get there, but also don't dwell on the lows as they happen and are part of it.  Quite an interesting approach.  A great race though and seeing him approach the finish but knowing he was going to miss it by seconds was gutting.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-A few of these ultra guys have good moustache or beards.
    So hard to be just 11 secs outside the record,every non runner would be like "couldn't he have just ran a little faster"
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    That was heart breaking to watch, those long straight finishes really are tough.   He still got the American record didn't he?

Shame Carla didn't get her British record.

No run this morning, we've had what looks like one heavy shower of snow during the night, I expect there's a lot more on the hills.  But what little we had has now frozen and looks deadly.   I haven't seen anybody walking, just a couple of cars which are going very carefully.

So 50 minutes of kettlebell stuff, which helped a bit with the DOMS I have from yesterday's glute session but I expect the DOMS will be worse later/tomorrow.  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just checked and it was 18 minutes off the American record, brilliant.
  • Carla's being pretty chipper about it - from her Strava she says "Wanted sub 7hrs so went after it! Clearly it was a go until you blow kind of day but I couldn’t have given it any more, I left everything out on the course and I was dragging my ass to that finish line if I liked it or not."

Given no records were broken, I'm sure Hoka will organise another at some point. After all, it took two attempts to achieve Breaking-2. 

Not sure if I'm running today or not. Thick frost outside when I peeked out of the window so I had breakfast and I'm waiting to see what happens. Will go for a walk if it doesn't improve.
    Shades - I'm getting a flu shot tomorrow - do you advise resting the day after?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - Carla looked great for most of the race, but ultras are like marathons only worse, much harder to get right and it has to be there on the day.   She had a good run.

Hope you can get out later for a run.   I'm not even going to consider a walk as max temp is 4 today here plus sleet and hail showers, lovely 🙄

No need to rest after flu jab unless you have some sort of reaction which is unlikely.   I didn't even have a sore arm, did have a bruise though.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    It's the same here, Shades/Cal.  People are walking very gingerly outside.  I may go out later, but the problem is on a Sunday it will be busy with pedestrians on my regular routes unless I go out early evening.  I'll just see how the day goes.

I jumped on the scales for the first time in a few weeks and I'm a decent weight.  12st2, which for me is really good.  When I started MAFing last April I was 12st10 and I'm fairly sure I did Marrakech at close to 13st (certainly in middle of Feb I was 13st0, and Marrakech was 26th Jan).
  • Shades, it's actually worse here - 2 degrees max with snow/sleet forecast. I'm about to say sod it and go for a walk before that all kicks off. 
    Big G, that's great!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - best get out before it gets too bad.   The pavements here are like ice, I just saw a girl out walking her dog and she was struggling to cross the road.   The dog was OK, must be so easy when you've got 4 legs.   :)

Big G - that's great news on maintaining your weight loss.  The Zwift must help when you can't run but you still had a long period injury time before you started Zwift so you've obviously found the right balance food wise.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades/Cal, thanks.  I felt I was a reasonable weight but hadn't checked for a while, so it's good to see.  It probably partly explains my good MAF times and that 10k effort I did.  Sometimes when injured I do pile the weight on a bit, to I'm happy to not have done that this time around.

OH drove to work today rather than walking and she said she saw people sliding around whilst walking (the main roads were fine for driving).  I am currently dressed in running stuff but it's not happening any time soon, so I'm about to jump on the bike.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - easy to pile the weight on when not running as the appetite is still there.

I haven't seen anyone else walking except that dog walker earlier.   Our road is sort of slush/ice now but the cars are going so carefully I can only imagine that's because it's a lot worse from where they've just driven from.
  • Well that was fun! I decided to walk to Norwood Park, which sits between the top of Streatham Common and Crystal Palace, as I'd never been through it. It was cold on the way there but the pavements weren't bad other than some frozen puddles I had to avoid. The paths in the park were a lot more treacherous so had to be careful there, though.
    At that point, 4 miles in, it started to snow. Proper snow, and it was settling. I was wearing Nike Frees which don't have much grip at all so my pace dropped from 15s to 18s as I made my way back home and I got pretty cold. It wasn't so bad once it had settled to a better thickness but when it started it was pretty slippery and I had to negotiate a 10% downhill which was a bit worrying.
    It was nice seeing a few little kids experiencing snow for the first time, but I hope it melts quickly. The worry is that it's going to melt and then freeze solid overnight as it's -2 so I don't think I'll be able to run tomorrow either.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-That's brilliant on the weight,that will really help when we race again.
    Some snow here but it didn't look icy so I went out,it came down pretty heavy at times but it was enjoyable out,11 miles done,meant I only got 27m this week but cycles for 2.5hrs which is about the same as 18m so happy enough esp as I was ill for a few days.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal  - that was a bit of an adventure for you.   Sunny here now but still icy, pedestrians are walking in the road as pavements still frozen.

It's not been a good day for the gritters either here

Ian - that's your longest run for quite a while.   Are you still dealing with the PF or has it gone now?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It seems to have gone now,I'm still being careful with it as I don't want it returning.A positive is my Achilles has been great the last few weeks so maybe a few months of lower running has helped it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that is good news on the PF and the achilles.   Maybe what you were doing for the PF helped achilles too, apart from the reduction in running.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, that sounds an eventful walk!  

Crikey, Shades.  Where was that gritter incident?

Ian, yeah, it'll definitely help.  This is pretty much the weight I was when I did that 5K PB in that race last year, so it's good to be there again before any races come back, rather than having to work or make changes to get back down to the weight.  Good news on your PF, and also your achilles.

I went on the bike for about 1hr45 and had a good ride.  Tri club have their session tomorrow evening which I'm hoping to join, and all being well I'll get a run done tomorrow AM.  I'm not running today, not even later on, but an extra day off won't hurt at this point, so it means it will be 38 miles for the week.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I'm just glad I'm feeling better about them both,nice to be able to go for an early run rather than waiting for my legs to get warm.
    I'd like to start getting a few more runs in around 10m as my legs started feeling it then.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - on the Holne road, so I think that's just off the DD route.   No injuries.

I'm not surprised you've binned a run today, it feels like it's starting to freeze again now.

Ian - it's tiresome having to manage an injury so let's hope the improvement is permanent.
  • That's a hell of a thing, Shades! Yikes.
    Snow has mostly melted here - at least what I can see from the window. Some still on rooves but the ground just looks wet. Which is going to freeze overnight, yay.
  • Big G Well done on the weight, I'm sitting here with a bowl of defrosted mince pies (9p from Aldi) and ice cream.

Shades, hope the ice melts soon and go get out running, I'm sure the gritters shouldn't be positioned that way? 

Cal well done on getting out for a walk, it was cold here this morning too.

Ian not a bad week considering the illness, glad to hear the pf is staying away!

Had a few days in the office this week as training on the new system, was good to see other people and for a change of scenery.  Plus also managed a run after work for a change instead of from home.

Woke up this morning and it felt cold so opted to run later in the day as had an open uni tutorial at 10 and wanted to watch football at midday.  Snow came down pretty heavy (we dont usually get much snow being quite inland but decided to force myself out for 7 snowy off road miles (garmin rounded down to 6.98 miles and was my 5 run of the week to the total of 29.93 miles my highest since my marathon at the start of October.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - nice photos.   

Good for you getting out in the snow and your highest mileage week.   You'd need some warming fare after a snowy run, such as the mince pies.   Is your freezer still stashed full of mince pies  ;)

I was hoping to do a run in the snow yesterday but we didn't have enough and what we had turned to ice.

The overturned gritter was on the evening news last night, apparently it was only doing 12mph at the time of the crash  :o

Must have been good to go into the office.   I think the negative of WFH is missing out on the social chit chat and seeing other people even if it's only on the journey to the office.

I was hoping to run this morning, all the surface slush/ice has gone but we have another frost and I can see some ice on the roads/pavements.  Nothing like as bad as yesterday so I'm very hopeful for tomorrow.   I'm not so sure how easy a run would be today as I have severe DOMS in glutes/hamstrings/quads and my hips.   Not unexpected as I did a glute session on Saturday and then kettlebell session yesterday.   At least I'm feeling that I have done some exercise.   🙂  
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, good pics and well done for getting a decent week of training in.

Looking at the forecast Shades, it looks look it'll be warmer here in the next few days but with rain and strong winds :(  I actually prefer it colder (but not icy), compared to those conditions! I'm hoping I'll get a run in a bit later on as I'm watching people come down my hill and they appear to be walking normally.

Tri club have their session tonight and the coach has told us what we're doing.  It looks a tough session.  Not knowing much about bike training it's apparently a "classic" called "Stairway to Heaven" where we do 3-mins just below FTP, 2-mins at FTP, 1-min above FTP, 2-min recovery, and repeat.  Ooooph.  Only 6-mins of effort per block looks easy, but I know that will be tough.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'd rather the milder weather even with wind and rain   :)
    Now it's daylight there is more ice than I thought and big patches too so am not risking it today.   Should be OK in the morning if the roads dry up today.

I'm more concerned about your laptop than you coping with the Tri session tonight  ;)
  • Robert - Lovely pics

7 miles at lunch for me. A few icy bits but not so bad with a bright sun melting things mid morning. Saw one poor lady stack it while running up ahead of me. I obviously couldn’t get close to give her a hand but she seemed ok.

It’s funny but after running at MAF all this time I’ve gone from being self conscious about being slow in the early days, to these days seeing most people wheezing and struggling by and thinking ‘slow down!’

Things should be more sensible at work so hoping to get a ton of miles in this week. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Went out on my hilly trail route and took a nasty tumble :(  It was nothing to do with any ice as there wasn't any when I went out, but I tripped over something and face planted when I was a bit dazzled by the sun.  I've ran that section dozens of times and it's not technical or hilly, but over I went.  Bottom and top lip both cut and swollen, nose bleeding, and forehead has grazes/lumps, plus gash on my chin.  Left knee just has a very minor graze and hands are fine (I was wearing thick gloves).  I was about 3 miles from home and walked back with a brisk walk, holding my buff over my face as my nose was bleeding a lot.  I must have looked a right state walking back, and I was worried about my teeth but I think/hope they are okay, although they kind of feel "on edge".  I'm currently in some mild discomfort with a blocked nose although bleeding has stopped now, and I expect I'll come out with quite a lot of bruising at some point, but fingers crossed I'm hoping it's nothing too serious.  I was shaken when I got back home, but OH came home from work and is here with me now.
  • Big G - Rotten luck that does sound nasty. Hopefully it’s all just superficial
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a really nasty fall.   So easily done, sounds like it's shaken you up too.   I expect you'll look like you've done a couple of rounds with Mike Tyson in the morning.  
    Best avoid any Zoom calls for a couple of days.  😉

Rcouture - hope you have a less demanding week.

I know what you mean about feeling that you want to say "slow down".   If you did they would look at you like you were mad, after all don't they have to do every run faster than the last one, right. 🤔
  • Oh dear Big G! I saw several people running early this morning when I went to the supermarket (I went early to recce the pavements) - I thought they were mad. There's no way I would risk running when there's ice about. The pavements were largely clear but there were some frozen puddles in gutters and patches of ice here and there. I hope you're OK though - a fall can shake you up. My hand still isn't 100% after the one I had in the Autumn. Hopefully you haven't broken your nose.

Anyway, I did manage to get out for a short one (5 miles) at midday - sunny then so most of the ice was gone but there were a few slippery spots that I walked over. Legs feel rather heavy despite me not running yesterday - I think I am a bit run down. Things have been rather stressful with the PC and the flat and I have been pushing it with all the hills this month.

I got my flu shot this afternoon - nothing to it really, it hardly hurt. Hopefully I'll feel OK tomorrow but I'm not sure I'll run anyway as weather is still very cold so I think it'll be frosty again. Wednesday looks better (if windier) so I hope I can manage a decent hilly MLR for my team.