Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    hope TS has rounded the week off in desired fashion . . . .   

are  you snowed in today, WP?   

remained dry here, so no ice, thankfully, despite subzero temps overnight.  3.5 miles trudged this morn, and 27 for the week. (Funny how what once would have been an almost derisory total is now pretty satisfactory)!  :)

Dave
  • Dave: I like the kit as trainers match your club vest:) shorts look fine actually they going well with vest. Well done on run today.bet you were not in shorts :)

We are indeed snowed in first snow fall in 2+ years but then rain and it froze so like glass here no cars have passed and no walkers either.I have done a 50 minute kettlebell workout.I just need to get through tomorrow and then back to normal on Tuesday I have a lot of miles to make up! weekly mileage 13.69!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • I made this mistake of going out too early (10:45): still black ice around so only managed about quarter of an hour. Only just over 42k for the week, so a little over 26 miles. Thwarted this week by the weather, first floods then snow then ice. Hope Mick isn't weather affected!

When did you start running for Sheffield, Birch? You look pretty fit in that picture, by the way!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    alehouse
    ....  or maybe a pair of skates today!!
    You did well to defer your run and get a decent one in but there may be no escape today.
    Pity about Vardy - Perez is similar but not such a natural finisher

Welshpoppy
    iced in again - poor you.  Call it a rest day/cut back period

Mick
    Newtons laws of self selection should be applied vigorously!
    Well done on your rowing improvements - the others will be wondering where you have sprung from :)
    I like your little snag!!

Dave
    you are so lucky to have different industrial estates to run round :)
    Well done on your 11+ miles and for backing it up today - very good going.

You are definitely trying in that photo - the shoulder rotation displays all the signs of extreme fatigue!
    Are you carrying slightly less timber then than now ;) ?

Well it was cold and cloudy here this morning -5C and a hard white frost everywhere. Fortunately the air had been so dry there was little ice, just crunchy frost underfoot.  Not quite up to Mick's standards but it brought a chill to one cheek where the prevailing NNW breeze played across it like a fine whip!

7.12 miles done in 72:05 (10:07m/m) with avHR 130 and a max of 144 - so job done

10:10  123  134
    09:32  128  137
    10:04  130  136
    10:28  131  135
    10:03  131  133
    10:27  130  139
    10:13  135  140
    01:07  140  144  - kicking for home :)

Little cardiac drift which was good news keeping it all nicely aerobic and managed to find a little over the last 200 yds just to stretch the legs.

Week's total of 27.85 miles brings up 79.44 running total or 127.84Km so should be good to hit 150Km before next week is out - weather permitting.

As Dave said - what would have once been derisory is now more than satisfactory!!! 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    50 mins kettlebells - that is hardcore, WP !!  well observed re the kit - that's why the black shorts would have been the better choice  :)  

alehouse - started running in 1986, joined Sheff AC in 1987.  I defected to SCS much later.   Let's hope the weather is kinder to you this coming week. 

TS - excellent - goal achieved and in seemingly controlled manner - encouraging ! 

and yes, there might currently be a bit more lard around my waist . . .    :/    

Dave
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    You look like a runner, that is a UK runner as you have no tan. I ran Wycombe Rye including that incredible hill on a weekly basis throughout high school. Did your half include going up the hill?

TS,
    A good steady pace for such conditions.

I chickened out again, -26c windchill makes it a miserable experience shuffling along. another 5k on the rower but this time easy and relaxing. I felt I could have carried on, max WHR% was only 54%.
    Forecast is good for tomorrow so hopefully, I will be able to run outside. I am still unable to even order a treadmill.

Mick
  • Mick
    I don't consider it chickening out at  that temperature!!  You could stick to the pavement if you stood still for a moment :)

Dave
    don't we all carry some "excess"?
    Thanks - it was what I was aiming at and it was nice to get into some sort of rhythm after the first 2 miles - of course I had cunningly aimed for the flat lands as well which made it easier!

It was another chilly but bright morning - 4C but with  a much stronger NW breeze that added a touch of piquancy to the chill particularly in the shady areas

Carefully plodded my 4 miles in 41:16 (10:26m/m) which was ok after yesterday avHR127 and a max of 141 meant I was well within my aerobic boundaries
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    rest day for me - some leg exercises done. 

Yes, I do remember a steep hill at Wycombe, Mick - also vaguely recall a boring section around some kind of forces base?   

nicely "plodded", TS

Dave
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    Yes there was an American Air Force base at the top of the hill. When I was an apprentice with BT I worked in the underground bunker at that base so I knew it well.

A little warmer today only -13c windchill so 7.4k done with the boys. It was good to get out even if it started to snow.

Mick
  • Mick
    well done for getting wrapped up and going out there.  Snow is ok - it's the other wet stuff, sleet and hail that turn it really nasty.

Dave
    very diligent for a rest day :)

Another similar climatic day but no sun as I did my 4 miles in 40:30 (10:09m/m) - nonsense HR readings!!
    Legs felt slightly more recovered
  • Ticking those miles off, TS!

Mick: what do you wear to run in when it is that cold? 

45 minutes this morning. Pavements were too slippery so ventured off road. Hard work on frozen rutted ground but felt reasonably safe. Wonder how WP is getting on with the weather. Supposed to be warmer here from tomorrow; mind you it was supposed to be snow and sleet from ten this morning but it didn't happen. 

I think your team need to concentrate on the league, Birch! Re running for Sheffield, I wondered if our paths had crossed as I ran for Rotherham second claim in the early 80s, largely in the South Yorkshire League. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Ale: I had high hopes for today but made to end of road and back as lethal like glass.I did have to pick up a runner who had not see ice and fell poor chap he was battered and bloody.BUT tomorrow i warmer so I only did weights and wheel of doom today ready for the run.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • sounds like I have got off lightly with the weather over the last couple of days - about time too I would say.

alehouse
    frozen rutted ground isn't good is it - but it's better than ice!

Yes nearly there - 7 miles to go all being well ................

Welshpoppy
    sounds very nasty indeed and you did well to turn round
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse,
    The secret to keeping warm or at least not having your skin freeze is layers. First a layer to wick away the sweat and trap the heat on both the legs and body with long sleeves. Another layer on the legs, thicker than the usual tights to block the wind. You can buy them with just the front that is thicker. Another layer on the body, nothing special, a t-shirt is fine.
    On top of that you need a wind break jacket of some sort. The best is with a high neck and straps for the wrists to keep the heat in.
    Two layers on the hands, one that covers the wrist so long gloves are best. Mitts are best as the outer layer and then you can keep your fingers curled inside.
    Two layers are required on your head, a balaclava that covers your neck well and then a toque on top of that, that covers your ears again.
    To top it off you need a wrap around pair of glasses to stop your eyes from watering. Your eye lashes will freeze if you don't.
    It takes a little longer to get dress and it is best to get the wet stuff quickly after your run as in the past I have had my hair freeze to my hat.

WP,
    Good decision as I can tell you from bitter experience that even if you do not fall a sudden slip out of a leg can do a lot of damage. Very common in football when players lose their footing, pulled groins and hamstrings.

A more comfortable run today, only one layer on the legs required. A 7k tour of the village, all very quiet.

Mick
  • Mick
    I can remember layering up like that many years ago!

Are you now a familiar sight to the locals?

well no need of extra layers this morning as warmer weather arrived - though possibly briefly.

However it was a desperate run out there for me and a struggle all the way for 4 miles in 41:37 (10:25m/m) with avHR125 and a max of 140 - although it felt a lot harder than those figures suggest

Some DOMS didn't help either and I was pleased I had my mileage target to  keep me going!!

I got another Covid jab invitation this morning from my GP practice, as did my wife, so I was able to book them both together for Tuesday at the local centre, thus saving a 40 mile round trip for my original appointment, and which I promptly cancelled.

System appears to be working very well indeed with a fast rollout as a number of folk on the Hash Zoom call last night have now also got appointments although against a background of 100,000 deaths it is nothing to get too excited about :/

Not sure it death statistics tell the whole story and comparisons across countries can be futile as there are so many variables but it's still a horrible total.
  • Mick:That is a lot of kit  but understand why the one that threw me was the glasses.Good run it must be nice to be outside .

Torque: Good luck with Vaccine and great news you and Mrs TS will get it next week. But the death figures are grim:(

Dave: Come in car 57 how is it in your neck of the woods?

I have a Friend in Devon and she had her vaccine yesterday she is 67.

Today my time had come to break free of the shackles and get outside to run-yay 6.2 miles it felt good to be outside we had fog and rain but we are used to that.It was slow but it was dark and I was being careful.I then went out for a walk just under 3 miles.

I think we have the ice back at weekend but it may all change.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    I'm here, WP - did you mean "car 67" ?

Driver 67 - Car 67 [totp2] - YouTube

and by some mystic coincidence, my name appears top left of the vid !!   😲   

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    my debut in the South Yorks XC League was 1991, alehouse . . . .   

nicely held together, TS . . .   

WP - I'll bet the liberation felt good!  nice day's work, with the walk added :)   

Mick - I suppose "cruising" wouldn't be the correct term for those occasions when you are fully "layered up"?   

Dave
  • Dave: That it is!! spooky :D

I am just listening to Echo beach by Martha and the Muffins which I have as a single...oops think I am showing my age :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    a running & music combo thread would be great  ;)    except I'd be rooted to my laptop even more than I already am  . . . .    
  • Car 67/Driver 67 is my theme tune for this year, being 67. Last year it was Route 66.
    Thanks for the reply, Mick! I seem to wear most of that as soon as the temperature is anywhere near freezing! But not the glasses.

About 55 minutes off road plus my stretching today. Not quite as many diversions today and was relieved that I could get from the river bank back to my house at the end or it would have involved a detour that I could have done without. Easy day tomorrow I imagine. 
  • ...  "All the Roadrunning" by Mark Knopfler is a good place to start :)

not sure "nicely held together" accurately described my feelings!

Welshpoppy
    whoopee - let out at last :)

Echo Beach is one of the few pieces of music from that "new wave" that I really liked - definitely showing my age!!
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    It sounds like you are feeling the accumulated miles. Yes the neighbours recognise me now, lots of waves and greetings. It is more from the dog walking than running and I know all the names of the dogs but not the people.

Dave,
    No cruising would be to flatter what I do, but when I run I am still in my 20s and in my mind I am out in the front pack just cruising.
    You do have to be careful in sweating too much, when you have the wind behind you, as when you turn, everything can freeze.

My two favourite pieces of music are the 2nd movement of Mozart's Concerto for the clarinet and Aker Bilk's Stranger on the Shore, but they are not too good to run to.

A rest day for me today as the body is moaning a bit. I did get out to play with my snowblower as we had snow overnight so not completely lazy day and the dog will want her walk later.

Mick
  • Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    alehouse
    well done on avoiding the detour - not what one needs at the end of a run - and 55 min is good going - close to the magic 1 hour  :)

Mick
    Like you I recognise the dogs before the people as they don't change but their owners can have different clothing on!!

Good news on using the snow blower - hope the neighbours were impressed!

You are right - cumulative mileage effect as well as some longer ones (for me!) which have stretched recovery.

However 4.16 miles this morning in 43:34 (10:29m/m) with avHR 123 and a max of only 137 saw me hit my 150Km target (actually 95.54 miles = 153.75Km) with two running days contingency left in the 28 days allocated. :)

I should therefore make 100 miles in the 28 days as well which is a nice round figure - and then I can have a cut back week!!!

It has, of course, all been strictly aerobic mileage but nevertheless has been tiring. 
    Not sure if the micro dose increase in medication has been of any use but I guess it hasn't harmed me.  I have some blood work next week so will see what the outcome is from that.

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    well done, how was the pressure by making it public?
    My neighbours are hard to compete with, some of them have ride on snowblower. One way would have been to do it all by hand but at 74 the glory wouldn't be enough of an incentive.

-23c windchill so back on the rower.
    I am definitely getting more comfortable and the pace is getting more sustainable.
    This month so far on the rower.

Got a ways to go to get back to my 2016 level.
    I checked to see if I could order a treadmill but still no luck. At this rate I will row further than I run.

Mick
  • Torque: Well done on your mileage :)  enjoy the cutback week.

Yesterday 10k again for me and 3 mile walk but had one of my funny turns were I feel dizzy and need to eat which is strange as had breakfast post run and pre walk.

Today I am tired so opted for 4 mile run and will do shorter walk.It was horrid rain and wind first thing so waited till gone 7am to run.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Well done with the challenge, TS

Steady does it, WP!

Just over 59 minutes this morning. Would of course have been over an hour but didn't have the watch showing time. 37k so far this week with two days to go so hopefully hit 50 again, although snow is forecast for the next three days. 

Shame about the lack of a treadmill, Mick.
  • Welshpoppy
    that was a big step up after having had some time off - don't be so hard on yourself!

alehouse
    +59 minutes!!

Mick
    I too have had enough of shovelling snow by hand

Pressure?
    I often smile when I hear that word and think of the great quotation from Keith Miller - Australian cricketer and pilot during WW2.
    "There is no pressure in Test cricket. Real pressure is when you are flying a Mosquito with a Messerschmitt up your arse."
    You can substitute "Test cricket" with any other descriptive noun - running, work, presentations, speeches etc.
    I can recall using it in response to a question during a presentation for a large project about the pressure on me of such a large project  -didn't get the job :)

Well the sun was out this morning - snowdrops and crocus showing through the flooded ground and I felt carp so shambled round the 4 miles in plenty complete with a stop to chat to a friend - socially distanced of course!
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    Snowdrops ! The only snowdrops I am getting are landing on my head.

Another lovely day shame the windchill is -27c so back to the mancave.
    5k row in 22mins, it got me breathing hard if nothing else.
    The dog doesn't seem to mind the weather, I'll put her coat on and we will go for a walk in the artic sunshine later.

Mick
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    alehouse - good successive jaunts of (almost) an hour - even better that no detour was necessary!   

TS - congrats on reaching your target with something to spare - and the run including friendly chat & glimpses of early blooming counts as a good one !   

Mick - admirable discipline with your rowing; as others allude, shame you can't vary with a treadmill . . .  

WP - fine run/walk miles, I hope you are feeling better today - do you have more snow? 

just greyness and 3c here this morning - one of those runs where I tricked myself and ended up with 11.25 miles - loops of nearby park, then down to industrial loop #1 - which does then necessitate the 1K "drag" back to the park and thence home.  Tights and tracksters today - I don't know if this is another "older runners thing", but when it is, say, less than 5c, my legs seem to like the feeling of being "cosseted" !   

feels good now it's in the diary, and I can enjoy TV sport with a clear conscience . . . . .    

Dave