Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    It's been a while since I ran at 7am Jools 🙄
    Agree on the light evenings though, makes such a difference.
    9 easy ones today.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Whilst I have more time in the mornings (not even a commute into the office most days, let alone anywhere further afield) I'm quite liking getting my run done in the morning so that the evenings are free.  It'll end at some point, but it's the one change as a result of the pandemic which suits me.  (Although given a choice, I'd go back to old life in a heartbeat, if only it were safe!)
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I've slipped into a routine of waking early then spending an hour in bed listening to the radio with tea and toast. On the rare occasion when I've tried to run early its usually a slow and stiff effort. If I wait until PM I'm a bit better and get a quality run. When Mrs OO gets back to work I'm sure my lazy habits will reform 🙄
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I hear ya, OO. When the morning’s were lighter I got into a nice habit of doing 2 early runs before work but they were always slower efforts as I can’t get going first thing. Speed sessions are always at lunchtimes. One Friday I did a 15 miler before my 9.00am meeting. That felt good.

Got 8 miles in today at 7.05 pace. Happy with that as I’ve done no speed work of late and yesterday’s 10 miler on muddy trails was still in my legs.

Rest tomorrow and then will do my longer run on Friday just to shake things up a bit and free some sleeping time up on Saturday.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    MSe, for info, the Yorkshire routes seem to have the cyclists on the left I think.  Also, Richmond isn't the Richmond in the UK but it's from Virginia, so that probably explains that.

(I don't use a treadmill but have been Zwifting regularly on the bike for a couple of months and am absolutely loving it).
  • It rained all day yesterday so I went out in the afternoon hopeful that the ring road would be ok for miles and 800s. It was not! It was horrific actually. But I did find a clear hill in a residential area, so I sprinted up that 6 times instead and just did easy miles on the treadmill in the evening. Today you wouldn't know there'd even been any snow if it weren't for the sad looking remnants of snowmen dotted about the place. 
  • Jools - I could notice it was very slightly less dark by the time I finished yesterday around 7am. 
    OO - I usually have a lie-in at the weekends after my run with a  2 course breakfast :)
    GD  - nice 8 miler.
    Big_G - I wondered which Richmond in England MsE was referring to? I had plumped for Greater London rather than Yorkshire :) Didn't think of the U.S.
    Speedy - the rain arrived here overnight.
    Just time for a 6 mile recovery run today.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Gul Darr, I'm fairly new to Zwift but some of the "real world" maps are based on cycling world champion routes I believe.  Richmond, Virginia was used in the 2015 world championships, Innsbruck in 2018 and Yorkshire for the 2019 and there are routes in the game based on those courses.  The "big" ones though, in terms of climbing on the bike, are routes based on the classic Tour de France Alpe d'Huiz (called Alpe de Zwift in the game) and Mont Ventoux (Ven-Top in the game) which mimic the turns and elevation from the real world.  Then there are courses in France, London and New York, plus lots of other routes in their made up world, Watopia.

The London courses, for example, are a bit odd though.  The central london courses look accurately mapped with Big Ben, Buckingham Palace etc and on Strava they follow the real world roads.  But in the game, you go over Tower Bridge and not long after you're cycling up Box Hill, which isn't accurate obviously, and the Strava route isn't then on real roads for those parts of the route as it links up with central London.  It's quite interesting how it's been done, I find.  When you zoom out of some of the other routes on Strava, they are no where near where they would be but they are using islands/countries elsewhere in the world to map the routes.

The above is all based on riding as I don't have a treadmill but I think it's the same for running, plus they do have "running only" routes I think, including a track.

Bringing it back to running, Steve Way (Marigold) is riding a huge amount and has ridden up the ranks extremely quickly, from a base of near zero cycling as far as I know.  On Alpe de Zwift, sub-60mins is considered a very respectable time...he's gone up it in 39mins and is basically racing at the top of the highest category on Zwift.

Anyway, I digress.  As you were  :)  
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Marigold, as ever, all or nothing!

7 miles with 12 sets of strides for me.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    I think it has bothered me that I was so reliant on the tech DT. On Tuesday I ran easy for 45 mins, part of a group run and then I continued for a bit. It is nice running "with" others even virtually! As if to prove my point about the tech ruling me, yesterday I clicked on what I thought was the tempo run and it took me through Monday's intervals! Obviously it had no record of me doing them so gave that session to me first. And, like a lemming, I felt compelled to do the workout (on slightly tired legs from Monday). Lockdown is doing odd things to my brain. I am taking a day off today because I woke feelng frazzled. Have meditated (mind definitely not quiet) and stretched and tackled knots in my lower legs, feet and ankles with a Graston style Gua Sha tool which I highly recommend for fascial release. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chiropractic-Physical-Therapy-Myofascial-Mobilization/dp/B08FRB2FL5/ref=asc_df_B08FRB2FL5/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=463039782150&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1087643718245899734&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045836&hvtargid=pla-996668905908&psc=1

Glad your trail run was enjoyable GD. If that was my entry, it would have probably ended up with an injury! Shows how resilient your lower legs and stabilising muscles are.

(scans Gul's post for foot exercises... undercoat, apple sauce, tempo run, supermarket, 5 milers)

Ploddy or not getting 10 plus 6 plus 7 done in three days is excellent work Jools. I know what you mean about the shifting light patterns. I can feel the changes in my mood!

OO - I have to do pre run prep these days if I want to feel fluid from the start. It’s not your tea and toast in bed as I can’t eat before a run but does address the rusty bits of me. 

BigG - thank you. I’ll try not to engage my logical brain on Zwift I think. From running around London to Box Hill on the wrong side of the road felt odd but then maybe it was OK and as we should according to the Highway Code. Fairly new to Zwift having found cycling dull but liking running more. Now I’m running there I’m contemplating cycling again proving that all you need is the psychological hook (matters not what it is) before the lure becomes too great to resist. I’ve sold my turbo trainer but have a compatible spin bike so may see how that works. I think I recall money is required to sign up but hope it’s not going to break the bank.

Have a super day all.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    MsE, I too was sceptical about Zwift to start with.  I started on 8th Dec with an old dumb trainer and I purchased a cheap speed/cadence sensor and that got me on there just to see if I liked it.  That was good, but I realised I was missing a lot of the benefits of a smart trainer, so I bought one of those and haven't looked back.  I'm a convert!  I have two "real world" groups that I can ride with (one chats on Zoom, the other on Discord) so that helps to do sessions etc, otherwise there's the racing, doing as many of the routes as possible, plus the game side of it.  I'm finding it very good, although like I say I was sceptical to start with.  I think it's helped me retain/regain fitness following a running injury last year and I'm going to keep it going, certainly until I get back out on the roads in the summer at least.  In some ways, I actually prefer it to riding on the roads, which I don't think I'd say about a treadmill/running outside!  As you say, if I was just staring at a wall, I wouldn't be on the trainer anywhere near as much so it is strange how it encourages me to ride more.  I think I pay £13pm.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Hearing lots of good things about zwift but such a big investment I'm not sure I'll ever get there. I definitely would not ride a bike on roads- too many local friend have had accidents.

I also stretch before most runs these days MsE, unless it's an easy jog (eg with Mrs OO). 
    3 miles on the beach with Mrs OO this morning (after tea and toast of course), then part 2 is a hard sesh with a pal this PM. No idea what he has planned but for sure it'll be brutal.

In between was a stretch class on fb live. My wife has a subscription and I sometimes loiter off camera and do the easy ones. Lockdown living 😆

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Well I hopped on the bike and it connected to my laptop so easily I felt compelled to ride for a free 30 mins to see how it was. I was a sweaty mess about 5 minutes in. I think I may enjoy this as a way to stay fit without battering my legs so may continue. I've got another 10K free before having to sign up. Thanks for the encouragement BigG.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    A fan or two definitely helps, MsE. Being an Alexa-geek I say ‘Alexa, turn on fans’ and promptly get blown through the back wall ;) They do help but by no way stop the problem entirely! 
  • Big_G - thanks. Think I'll stick to outdoors :)
    Jools - I must do some strides this week.
    MsE - I will finish the decorating soon and then...
    OO - how did the session with your pal go?
    Mixed things up a bit today and went out for a run first. 7 gently progressive miles. Then I glossed some skirting boards.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    All good Gul, 10* 1 min on/off at full pace. Plus a few hills thrown in. It was a tough sesh but I feel ok today.
    I've given up on gloss Gul. The dulux mild sheen doesn't need undercoat and is water based so easy to clean up after. It's a game changer 😉.
    Another friend today. Hes a  2:50 marathon man so I could be in for another beasting 🙄
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I noticed yesterday that a corner of my shed is rotting. I’d love to replace it with a garden room with a peloton or Zwift bike, weights, yoga Matt, tv and sofa etc. Initial investigations are breathtakingly expensive.

Got my longer run done today. Made a nice change to get it done on a Friday and free some time up for the weekend.

Session was 16 miles, starting in the rain and a stiff breeze. As conditions improved I pushed for a neg split and averaged 7.46 pace.

I’m still labouring on some runs at the moment, can’t seem to hit a flow where I’m ticking along nicely at any given pace. It will come.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    There are some awesome pain caves out there.  3xProjector screens with Zwift "wrapped around" the rider, a Wattbike Atom, coffee machine and fridge in the corner, and plenty of air con would be fantastic :)  Pricey though!   I've never used Peleton but, on the face of it, it appears eye-wateringly expensive to me.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Anything linked to lockdown is massively inflated at the moment. Camper vans are a similar example. Unless you do a Gul GDawg and build your own at 5am every morning 😆
  • How does Zwift work with a treadmill then? Do you have to have a special treadmill, or just some sort of footpod? And can you watch it on a smart TV or would you have to rig up the laptop somehow?

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I can't specifically answer about the treadmill, but I believe footpads work on Zwift.  Apple TV seems to be a popular choice for people who want to hook up to a TV, or you can cast it from a tablet/phone/laptop to a TV.  As far as I know, it doesn't work on a Fire TV stick, presumably because that device isn't powerful enough (I did Google that a few weeks ago, but from a very quick look it didn't seem possible).  Zwift is pretty intensive on the CPU/memory etc on devices.  I use a laptop for Zwift, and a phone for the "Companion app", which then makes it easier to interact with the game if I want to.
  • OO - yes, that sounds a bit brutal. How did yesterday go? I should have taken your advice; cleaning the brushes afterwards is a pain :(
    GD - it will come, just keep pluggjng away. Nice MLR.
    In my second mile today, one hamstring started playing up. Could be a mild strain? Either that or it doesn't like all the bending and stretching from the decorating! It didn't get any better so headed home. 4 miles done. January mileage had already taken a hit from the painting and looks like it will end with a whimper. On the plus side, I can now do some foot exercises before I go back to bed :)
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    The dulux is expensive Gul but you'll more than save it in time and brush life 👍 You also reminded me I got a knee injury a year ago kneeling on a hard floor while doing DIY. Take care and ideally use knee pads for such jobs.
    Yesterday's sesh was a 10 miler. 8 easy with my pal who fortunately had already run fast in the morning. I added 2* 0.5 mile efforts at the end.
    Recovery jog with Mrs OO today and probably landing mid 50's with LSR tomorrow.
    Indeed it will come GDawg and you've got plenty of time so I'm sure you will be patient.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    11.5 this morning including 6 x 1 mile off 3 minutes.  A bit more consistent than I was 2 weeks ago (although you can definitely tell that I was alternating between headwind and tailwind!): 6.40; 6.41; 6.33; 6.43; 6.36; 6.43.  So average 6.39, which is probably about right for half marathon pace efforts right now, seeing as marathon pace is about 6.53/6.54s.  Clawing back the fitness second by second per mile!

Mr Jools and I are so bad at decorating and hate it so much we get a professional in.  Left to our own devices it would take us months to do one room badly, I fear.  Instead of which we've had almost the whole house done in about 3 weeks (just the main hall/sort of front room to do, now).
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Blimey, quiet on here! 18 @ 8.03s for me, to bring up 60 for the week.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Sorry for absence (as if you all missed me eh?) a boy from MsEsq's school took his life on Thursday. The younger generation are really struggling to varying degrees with this pandemic. Heart broken.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    MsE, that's awful.  So hard for the child and his family, and so hard for all the other children at the school.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Terrible news MsE. Hope you’re all OK. Running can be a great tool for processing these things. And we’re all here for some online keyboard therapy. Take care. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's shocking MsE, I feel for the youngsters suffering and the damage to their education.
    Lots of decorating here this weekend. The bedroom ceiling- an awful job and not good for the back. My Sunday run was laboured and I quit after 10 miles (7+3 with Mrs OO) but still scraped 55 for the week and 237 for Jan. 
    It looks like snow is hitting the north tomorrow so will try to get in a decent one today- legs permitting.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great month OO.
    Got a couple of 5 milers in at the weekend to get 45 done for the week and 176 for the month. That's my third biggest January.

Need to keep the motivation going somehow with no races planned.