Sub 3

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jooligan.. I ran a couple of laps there on Wednesday, most of the nearby flooding had gone.  Two big puddles to run through, an ice/slush patch near the grandstand and a lot of water on the in field grass but passable.  We could definitely do with a drought!
    You're putting in some good miles in the hills, your quad muscles must be like tree trunks. :)  
  • Jooligan - your climbing continues to be insane. Scaling Everest every month is quite something. I teach professional exams (Actuarial) so post-graduate. You'd think it would be reasonably chilled but they feel like long days!

Wardi - Another fine day here but more snow is coming. Hope it doesn't set. Pleasantly surprised by how quickly the snow melt and subsequent rain has managed to drain away. 

9 miles at 7:20s today. Comfy pace from a cardio perspective but cumulative fatigue in the legs has obviously been a thing this week. Rest tomorrow before Sunday's long run.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Jooligan - And there was me proud of ticking off my 2000m challenge.  Well done 'Everesting' on such a regular basis is seriously impressive.  

Hold your breath, it was "Spring like" here this afternoon, blue sky, sun and 11C so swapped on the chance of a few webinars on export VAT for a 10k on a mix of beach and coastal path with the pooch. Really needed it, especially as FB reminded I ran the Gran Canaria marathon, 2 years ago today (2.55 if your asking!) which can hit the mood a tad, with the current lockdown.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Top climbing and miles jools

Joe - sounds like you are adspting to more miles

OO - sounds like a good running day there. At least we are about to complete January and be a bit closer to spring.

10m home last night, 6m back this morning, few frothies later reasy for the latest rainy long run.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I wish the temps would rise a bit TR, forecast for the next week up here is struggling to get above 5 degrees.  Having said that it was 7-9 today so enjoyed a bit of warmth.  Enjoy the beers, how far tomorrow?

OO.. not surprised you preferred a trot in the warm-ish sun to matters of tax calculation.  Aye anniversaries can be wistful ATM.

Joe.. nice run at a decent clip, good idea to rest before a long outing if your legs are a bit weary.

Enjoyed 10.5m this morning, got rained on for the last 3m but it was only light stuff.  My Doctor has just invited me for a flu jab tomorrow so that does make me feel old. :/

• I know what you mean OO, I do wish facebook memories would just do one for a while. Constant XC races, medals, podiums. Although also a lot of memories of storm Someone Or Other and horrific snow, which does at least remind me that the weather is always shit and usually gets better at some point.
  • Indeed CC2. Just before the tsunami of CoViD cancellations I had 3 races called off in a fortnight last year due to the storms: a hilly trail 12M (Dursley Dozen), Wrexham HM & a XC fixture. Ciara, Dennis did for the 1st 2. The subsequent water logging did for the latter as the council withdrew permission to use the park.
    Photos I saw must’ve been from a couple of days prior then Wardi as there were folk literally skating on the racecourse. If it makes you feel better I got the flu jab letter & then cause I ignored it they even called me at home to invite me in the following day. I’m only 51 :D 
    OO My climbing might dwarf yours but your pace eclipses mine.
    Enjoy the rest day RJR.
    Another 9.5M for me with 850’ got me over 11,000m
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - i was invited for a flu jab too. Ive been doing 18m in recent long runs, if dorney was surprisingly to take place, i can jump up to a few 20s from 18 straight away.

CC - i expect crap running weather at the mo, if its not too bad after all then its a bonus.

Same run as last few weeks 5 easy,,10 approx mp+10%, 3 easy. Bit too quick on the effort section again.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    11.5 this morning including 6 x 1 mile off 3 minutes.  A bit more consistent than I was 2 weeks ago (although you can definitely tell that I was alternating between headwind and tailwind!): 6.40; 6.41; 6.33; 6.43; 6.36; 6.43.  So average 6.39, which is probably about right for half marathon pace efforts right now, seeing as marathon pace is about 6.53/6.54s.  Clawing back the fitness second by second per mile!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    CC - The 3 times I ran the Gran Canaria marathon, 22-25C there, -1 to 5C here. Saying that I do like seeing the FB updates and always amazed how quickly that time has flown by. 
    Jooligan - Nice of you to say.  One sure thing climbing does strengthen your legs though as you say too much can hit your pace.
    TR - Your still in a great marathon holding pattern, only take you a short while to be race-ready. Another good session for you today. I do hope Dorney is green for go, with the number of deaths and hospitalisations forecast to swiftly fall by the end of March as the vaccinations go at a great lick, there's a chance it could be on. 
    Joolska - That's a great session, nice and sharp, I hope your pleased with it. Your making really good progress. 

12m for me,  inc a 9m progressive run which felt like a proper run, speeding-up gently from 7 mm to finish 6.19 mm.  A bit wet, warm and blowy.  A LR for tomorrow should bring up just over 50 for the week. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice prog run OO, tasty pace at the end.  I see the Parkrun WR (female) went in Oz recently - 15:45.  Apparently it was pretty hot there and mostly on grass!

Jooligan.. yes my timing must have been good - the Knavesmire road access was underwater for a few days which usually means the 'Mire' is flooded.

TR.. nice mixed pace run again, hope you didn't get too wet.

Jools.. nice tempo paces there, always a nuisance when the breeze is up!

Felt a bit leg weary yesterday so kept it down to a steady 5m today.  Dry but cold & breezy up here.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Jools - nice one, good idea to repeat sessions to give you something to compare.

OO - nice running, shows you are in good nick. The Dorney folks have cancelled races up to the end of March and are waiting on the February update from Govt, but Dorney wont happen at Easter, theres 38000 folks in hospital with CV, thats not going to drop quickly, but as vaccinations increase there will be pressure to ease restrictions. Dorney are planning an October version, but ive enough October races ! Hopefully ill be able to find something in May or June, if not its Goodwood 4th july (which was rolled from December when id had CV).

Wardi - wet through as usual, but didnt get cold. Plemty of splashing through wet lanes and puddle ploughing. Best not freeze up for a day or three.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    18 @ 8.03s to make 60 for the week.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Well done jools, thats amother good weekend double and weeks miles.

Id run 8 days in a row so turbo'd today, 280ish for January which is (deliberately) around 50 or 60m down on where I'd usually be.

January ticked off, roll on spring.
  • Jools - Very consistent. Nicely done.

TR - Still top mileage. If the legs are feeling good then you must be in a good place. Enjoying the odd turbo sesh? Race wise there's not much between April and July which are likely to go ahead. Perhaps someone will spot the gap and schedule something.

OO - Gran Canaria sounds great for running. I'd like to get out there for some trails but not sure about a race. Shame that those sorts of places are going to be logistically off limits or a while.

Rest day yesterday which was vindicated by today's 15 miler. It was supposed to be steady but I felt so good I thought i'd bring forward next weeks marathon paced miles. It's my fiancees birthday next weekend so would be better to run steady then anyway. 15 miles @ 6:40 pace and through the half mara mark in 1:26:40. Felt in control and legs are fine now but we'll see if I pay for it tomorrow/this week.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Cracking run Joe - and that's a decent enough half marathon time!

TR.. a good Jan for you then, just a right PITA not knowing when we can put this training to good effect.  I guess all we can do is crack on and keep smiling and hoping.

Nice long run Jools and a good week in the bag.

11.5m today which also took me a smidgeon over 60m for the week.  Nice sunny day here but cold.
    Indian takeaway tonight and a beer or two to wash it down.
  • Jools - Really good miles and a cracking week. Is 18 the longest run for a while?
    Joe - That was some run, really impressive.  The trails in Gran Canaria are supposed to be really something. Have cast a glance at the Trans-Canaria a few times.  
    Wardi - Really good week, some good miles over Jan.  Hope you enjoyed the ruby and beers (a few cold lagers).

A case of CBA today until saw the extraordinary Eddie Izzard run his 2 marathons in a day and perform a concert, and went out @ 8 pm for a wet 5 to bring up 40 for the week, 229m for the month with 3,000m+of climbing. 
  • I've kept the long run at 18 for a few months now, OuchOuch.  The hope is that by doing an 'almost marathon training' long run, it should be easier to get back into proper marathon training in May, always assuming VLM is able to go ahead this year (I am still a bit sceptical, given the predicted end date for the vaccination programme).  I've got a long climb back to full fitness and times I could run a few years ago, but 244m for January, so a decent start.

6 miles plodded as a recovery run this morning.
  • 63 and a bit for me last week, to bring up 243 and a bit for the month (3091m climbing apparently, I don't normally look at that!). Strava has it in feet so had to convert, but 10000+ft sounds more impressive somehow). My right hamstring is very sore though, especially at the knee insertion (or what I assume is the knee insertion anyway)
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    CC2.. I had a minor niggle there recently (back of knee).  I found that mine went away after 2-3 easy days, depends on how sore it is I guess.

OO.. I went for a 'very hot' (according to the menu) curry last night (Monipur).  Very nice indeed, tasty despite the heat.  Aromatic/menthol qualities were clearly present - I felt like my airways had been cleared afterwards. :#

Despite 2-3 degrees this morning we had glorious sun/blue sky and clear views.  Got out for an enjoyable 10k to make the most of it, a dumping of snow beckons overnight and tomorrow morning with rain in the afternoon - charming!    
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Joe - agreed, i think folks will put on events if there's a need/desire. Good going on that 15, if you are running 15 comfortably then you have a lot more in the tank. 13m mp is pretty much 13m as hard as possible in training for me.

Wardi - yep, keep ticking off the training as we'll be in action sometime. Hope the beers and curry were good.

OO - well done, i wouldnt have gone out at 8pm on a Sunday.

Joolska - im with you, 18m wont need much of a jump to get into the 20s. 18 is a nice mental break from 20s too.

CC - hope that hammy is ok.

12m commute home tonight.
  • I did a strength session yesterday lunchtime and then 10 this morning. The legs were a bit tired!
  • OO - Slightly unlikely inspiration there but sometimes that's what it takes.

TR - Only 7 of the miles were actually at/quicker than goal race pace (aiming for sub 2:50) but the other miles obviously weren't slouchy. 12 miles makes for a nice start to the week!

Wardi - didn't see this snow coming, although happily we've missed it here. Even had to take my gloves off today. Looks like the curry to clear your airways was just in time.

CC - Hope that hamstring turns out alright. Something of mine would probably be playing up if I did anything like that climbing in a month.

8 miles with strides today. No sun but nice out.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    We had about 3-4 inches of snow this morning, traffic struggling to get up the small hill near me.  Then rain which turned most of it to slush.  A very dull gloomy day, almost dark by 3:30!
    Decided to stay in with the treadie so just over 9m done.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - you need better run detail in your updates then.

Wardi - i wondered if you copped the snow.

12m tonight, absolutely pissed down in the 2nd half.
  • We had a little dusting overnight but then an absolute deluge of rain that flooded my favourite path (and the road next to it - narrowly avoided a tsunami at least 3 times). Better than snow though!

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    The temps thankfully raised a degree or two last night, plus we had a fair bit of rain.  By this morning 99% of the snow had melted away.  Headed over to the racecourse, just the two big puddles to run through.  Nice conditions so did a few laps to tot up 12m for the day.
    Much sympathy about the soakings TR & CC2
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good for you Wardi

6m back in this morning, another soaking. If nothing else it cleans your trainers up nicely if its a pavement run.
  • Feels like we're in between two bands of rain here in the West Midlands, but I guess that can't last.

Wardi - plans to move to the Steeplechase?

11.5m this morning out at 6am. Can't get myself going at that time in the morning so its nice and easy on the legs.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Joe - 6am! Wowza.  Now that is good skills.  Must have been a touch surreal? And yes I am taking motivation from wherever these days but I do think Eddie Izzard is wired differently to most humans.  
    Wardi - Grand National? 

Lucky with the weather, as sunny and blue skies for my lunchtime dog run and this evening an easy 10K under starry starry skies so 11m for the day.