2021 in 2021

Comments

• 145 completed, 1876 km to go. 

In 1876 Mark Twain published the Adventures of Tom Sawyer, a year that saw Graham Alexander Bell make the first telephone call. Wonder what he would make of modern technology. He regretted inventing it as he felt it was an intrusion; given the number of telemarketing calls etc that I have had today I would have to agree with him. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • 3 days of 6ish km runs in a row takes me to 110 with 1911 to go. 

Lots happened in 1911: the first air mail flight, the first Mars candy factory opens, Mona Lisa is stolen from the Louvre, first aerial bombing raid and Chevrolet starts producing cars.
  • 6 miles today (should have been more but had to abort early due to frost and ice) - up to 162. 1859 to go. Construction began on the Suez Canal.
  • Another 6 today to move me to 168. 1853 to go.
    In this year, Manchester became a city; the world's first public aquarium opened at London Zoo, and smallpox vaccinations became compulsory by law.
  • 160k completed so 1861k to go!

In 1861 it was all kicking off in the United States, or should I say, dis-United States? Civil War, with black lives matter at the centre of it! One could speculate about how much has or hasn't changed!
    7, then 9, then 11 of the Southern States seceded from the union and formed the Confederate States of America under the Stars and Bars flag, as opposed to the Stars and Stripes, appalled that there was a move to abolish the slavery of black people. Civil war broke out in April 1861, just a month after the inauguration of the new president, Abraham Lincoln.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • 121km down, 1899 to go.
    In 121 AD, the site for Hadrian's wall is finalised and plans are set in motion to build it the next year. 
    1899, aspirin is developed and patented by Felix Hoffmann
  • Didn't run yesterday due to adverse weather and managed a cautious 5 miler today to take me to 173. 1848 to go....1848 saw widespread revolution across Europe, with a lot of monarchies disappearing.
  • 177 km banked, so 1844 to go. 

1844 saw George Williams found the YMCA, probably the first youth organisation in the world, and without which the Village People would possibly not have had a hit. 
  • 7 miles today to take me to Eric Bristow's favourite, 180.
  • And 15 today to put me on 195. 1826 to go.
    In 1826, Alexander Laing was the first European to reach Timbuktu. Sadly, he was murdered there the following month.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    194 done so 1827 left.

In 1827 Zarafa, a giraffe presented by the Ottoman Viceroy of Egypt, Mehmet Ali Pasha, to King Charles X of France, the first to be seen in Europe for over three centuries, walked from Marseilles to Paris.

Now I thought that was quite something!
  • 139km down, 1882 to go. 

I forgot to post yesterday which was a better fact than today's, so I'll just post my fact for 130 today.

A movement from Beethoven's Op.130 is the last item on the Voyager Golden Record - a collection of spoken word in various languages and music that has been placed Voyager 1 and 2. It's intended to be a signal to any intelligent life that may happen to come across the probes. Voyager 1 left the solar system in 2012, voyager 2 in 2018
  • 203 miles down...1818 to go. In this year, Dr James Blundell carried out the first blood transfusion using human blood (the way this is worded seems to imply that non-human blood was tried previously, but hopefully not on humans).
  • 151.62 miles done so 1869.38 to go

In 1869
    Scotlands oldest professional football team is founded, Kilmarnock FC

• Also on 1869 to go, but in km!

A good year for facts! Mendeleev presents his design for the periodic table of elements to the Russian Chemical Society, Sainsbury's opens its first store and the first confirmed robbery by Jesse James. 
  • So, the end of the first month and I believe that you should have covered either 172 kms or miles, depending on your target. And if you haven't then there is plenty of time to gradually catch up!

214km covered so 1807 to go. 

In 1807 the UK stopped trading with France. Almost sounds familiar! And also the first gas lights were shining on Pall Mall in London. 
  • 167km for me so far, leaving 1854 to go.

The Great Exhibition in Kensington was relocated to Sydenham Hill, and opened to the public in 1854. Today my route took me through the exact site where it would have stood. 
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    1803 to go, as 218 km done. Good start for the year.

1803 the Napoleonic Wars start, might be the reason alehouse why England stopped trading with France four years later??
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    165 miles done, so I'm a bit behind, but 1856 to go.

In 1856, the Theatre Royal, Covent Garden, was destroyed by fire for the second time.
  • After not logging any weekend runs, I managed 18 miles today to take me to 221. 221b Baker Street was, of course, the address of a certain famous detective.
  • 4 mile recovery run takes me to 225. 1796 to go. In this year, Edward Jenner administered the first dose of smallpox vaccine.
  • 1847 to go. The Communist League is founded in London by Karl Marx, Friedrich Engels and Karl Schapper.
  • 12 miles logged today which takes me to 237. In 1784 ballooning was all the rage. Scot James Tytler made the first balloon ascent in Britain, in Edinburgh, while Englishman James Sadler made the first balloon flight in England from Oxford.
  • mussesseinmussessein ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    185km down, 1836 to go. 

In 1836 Charles Darwin returns from his 5 year expedition aboard HMS Beagle - the starting point for developing his Theory of Evolution.

Texas also declares independence from Mexico, and adopts a constitution based on that of America.
  • Six miles today so up to 243. 1778 to go...the year of the American Revolution. 
  • 14 done today, so up to 257. 1764 to go.

That year saw the birth of Eclipse, the dominant racehorse of his era. A large, chestnut horse,  he was foaled during an eclipse and was named for it. He was unbeaten in 18 races and went on to sire a number of winning progeny including three Derby winners. In 1970 it was estimated that 80% of racehorses have Eclipse in their ancestry.
  • 16km today - 1814 to go. 

Norway proclaims independence. 

In London, there is a flood of beer at the Meux Brewery company, killing 8, injuring more and buildings were destroyed. A barrel of fermenting porter bursts, dislodging the valves on other tanks, and releasing up to 1.5 million litres of beer. 
  • A veritable beernami, mussessein. 

Managed another 9 this morning as the expected snow didn't materialise (it did snow when I was out, but the small non-settling stuff). Up to 266...1755 to go. In this year, Mount Katla in Iceland erupted, which lasted 120 days.
  • 1809km to go.

In 1809 Jean Baptiste Lamarck publishes his false theory of evolution, based on the inheritance of acquired or lost characteristics, in the same year that Charles Darwin is born.
  • 194.38 miles done so 1826.62 to go

In 1826
    The first Cowes regatta held on the Isle of Wight, remembering going as a child (not in 1826)