Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Spent half of yesterday sneezing and sniffling post run, so thought I'd do 6 max today.

Snow pretty much has gone, but just in case it might be icy I did one last park laps job.
    A few laps, mixed with some little bits in woods round one side, and then one little woody climb and back to finish.

Obvs 8 miles all in.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Hopefully just a quickly gone cold SG?

Road run for me today given all the freshly melted snow/mud!  
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, one of those weird ones that has you aggressively doing repeat sneezing, and getting a hooter redder than Rudolf's, and then a nice sleep, and it's fine again.

Look forward to a nice road run tomorrow. And remember the freedom that actually allows, after I was thinking my routes were dull again. Nope - not compared to laps of parks.

Easy 8-9 tomorrow, and best try and do something vaguely quality Friday, but we'll see.
  • Living next to a park is the dream, SG. Do you not ever do summer sessions in there? Is there a parkrun? And how on earth have you caught a cold?!

You’re really smashing the hilly ten milers, Jools. 

Tidy 5k, SC. 

The Yak Trax are unbeatable for me in icy conditions. They are snow chains you strap onto the bottom of your shoe - similar to what you might put on your tyres in a ski resort. I have done strides on the iciest roads with no worries. Probably only wear them 2-3 times every couple of years, but such a life saver. 

Bit of a shocker yesterday morning. Playing with both kids downstairs from about 6am. Gaining loads of brownie points. Helped build a cushion den to whoops of delight. Until my daughter tripped and smacked her chin on a wooden stool. Uh oh - blood everywhere. One of the straight clean cuts, but pretty deep. Not so many brownie points being accumulated all of a sudden. Fortunately, the minor injuries unit (based at the hospital) was ridiculously quiet. My wife and daughter only saw the receptionist, doctor and nurse, and had the kids’ waiting room to themselves, so it all felt safe. Glued her up and sent her packing. Looks a bit like a defeated boxer now with a massively swollen jaw, but she’s on the up.

Hastily rearranged cover work for my lessons rather than live teaching, expecting a far longer wait at hospital. So in the end, this freed a little time to get out for an hour. 2 x (1200, 800, 800) with 3 min, 2 min jog recoveries. 

Similar route to last time, and a punchy wind as well. So paces were about 6:00 with the wind and 6:18 against. All in, 8M at 7:10 pace. 

Another session done, 3.5 weeks until the 5k ‘race’. Think I will target sub 19. A minute slower than last year, but a solid stepping stone, I hope. 

7M easy this morn - a bit sore, 8:00 pace. Then a rare recovery double this afternoon - 3M at 9:10 pace. Both with the lad. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Probably just the change of temp tickling something a little, as today I was back fine.
    I've had similar in the past, and once got told to wfh the next day due to one day of it. Then didn't sneeze that night, or next day. Bizarre.

Park is handy, especially for snow days, but I rarely do sessions or the parkrun. Familiarity breeding contempt and that.
    Could maybe do one of those diagonal sessions Friday, thinking about it. 15mins of sprinting half the pitch diagonally, then trundling the goal line.

Hope the youngun is alright - can't imagine the stress of having a kid get injured!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    8.5 today for some de ja vu.
    Went with 2 layers, overlooking that the temp has leapt right up, so by 3miles was utterly boiling, and one layer down got back to normal.
    Started waking up half way in, and delved into some random roads, and then always easier on the down biased back, and 7.20 all in.

May take Sat back as a rest day this week, as it's been about 20 days in a row without one, and I spend all year doing 6 day weeks normally. See the slight coldy feel off totally.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    I went with summer gear today and I was still warm. Passed a guy starting out his run with hat, jacket gloves etc, bet that didn't end well. Roads are very flooded, must have pissed it down all night, I had to high step it through a few flooded bits which just about keeps the water out! 8 miles a bit faster than usual at 6:53 per mile.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Managed to miss the chance to go out for a lunch run thanks to a meeting that lasted 5 minutes! Dark and wet to look forward to this evening then.

I was woken up by the rain last night and spent at least an hour trying to decide whether I could be arsed to go and sandbag across our back gate (having removed the sandbags only last Friday!). Didn't bother in the end....

Sharp pace for that distance Reg. Always amuses me when you see runners clearly overdressed who can't read a weather forecast (like SG :wink:)

Those sort of injuries with your kids make you go cold and feel sick SQ! On the plus side, they can all so often end up with several hours hanging around A&E, so at least Covid has given you one thing to be thankful for I guess! Nice session too as a Brucey bonus!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    One top today then :)

Fartlek segs style fun. 4 road segs in and around half a mile.
    Needed 5.20 for a downhill with little up at end one, took that sub 5 (faster than the watch ever showed)

3 others - 2 I would have cruised on pace, and one that was an ask on a busy road with bin truck etc.
    Managed to somehow come out 20secs slower on the 2 "cruise" ones. Must have been one of those dodgy start/stop too early ones, and the other one got a 2nd, but a fair 5 seconds off - but knew that was a stretch today.

One of the segs is annoying as it's a "simple" U Bend style road. In one end, out the other end.
    The map has the trace going off the actual road near the end, but there's no other path, but even doing a good 10metres round the bend didn't get it.

Next time!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Mud today. Pretty much all mud. With hills.....

I'm building an ark!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Will take this week as a cut back week - very rare I do that, but Moraghan used to be big on it every 4 weeks or so.

Throw in snow at the start of the week, 1 run a day "guide" and bit coldy midweek, certainly seems a good week for that.
    First rest day today in a month, and that's against a usual situation of one a week.

A 13 tomorrow would see a 54mile week, which is decent enough sum for a cut back.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps Jools, think you're right on that seg regarding your strava comment.

Despite me jogging into the seg, and then putting the pace on just before it starting, it's somehow clocked me at 12or so min miling for the first bit.
    Not too worry - all light hearted fun.

They're talking no earlier than March for the schools back, I wonder if that's when they're pencilling in a return to the tier system.

By then we should have seen a good reduction in numbers from the Christmas/New Year surge, and a good reduction in new case due to the vaccinations.

And perhaps start to get those distanced races back up and rolling by April?
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Usual type LSR today  - 14.3M, 1800 ft of muddy hills making 45M and 5300ft for the week and 198M and 23,766ft for January.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Unlucky there SG
    Sounds brutal Bus.
    Hope you gents had better weather for running  in your neck of the woods than I did.
    Cold headwind & a proper drenching meant I failed to enjoy almost any of today’s run. Only did 9.5M & 840’ today: 80% tarmac, although in some places it was buried under a layer of mud &/or submerged under ice cold water.
    11.7M & 1500’ yesterday. Somehow felt like a lighter week with 4 single digit runs yet still totalled 74M & 8,500’
    January stats: 330M@8:31in spite of climbing 38,658’
    Last day off running 11/11/20
    Today I also ran my 20,000th mile since joining Strava midway through 2013.
  • Mixed week of running trying to work around the weather. 

Monday early run while the snow was fresh and that was very picturesque. Tuesday off as it was just nasty and icey before the heavy rain came and washed that away. Wednesday from Frieth down to Bockemer End where SG always sued to marshall on the Marlow Half. As I can out at the bottom I saw another runner ahead of me and irritatingly he was running a bit slower than me but not much so. If I see a much slower runner then I can just pass them, and faster runners just disappear, but he was clipping along and coming back and it took me the best part of 2 miles to catch and pass him. Have no clue who he is: and Strava flybys are now useless as nobody is on them. 5k time trial (12.5 laps) on Saturday down at Marlow track and I need to get some speed work in, then 12.5 miles up and down the muddy hills today.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    There's been the occasional scurrilous accusation on this thread (usually from the slightly unhinged), but can I just put on record, that I never sued anyone to be able to marshal the Marlow half ;)

Battling randoms and putting in track 5ks? Are you hankering for a tickling at a comeback?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Had a chuckle with a young pal - he was trying to steal a clubmate's seg - ignoring that 4.00 dead pace for 200m is bloody tasty. Especially as it's not on a track - but he has the bravado of youth and thinks he's a bit of a sprinter.

He went and put a 4.37 pace job in, decent for him, but that's just under a 34second 200m and he needs 29!
    He said he wasn't warmed up etc, will need other goes, but first rule of seg club is pick your battles wisely isn't it!

I'm of the thinking this is a bit of a GPS error one to be honest. The women's record is 4.30 for a lady who certainly doesn't look fast, so I was interested to see how his pace would come out.

I pointed out to him that the same guy owns a seg around 6.00 pace, for 1/3mile nearby

"As if" i could take that he said!! :D  

Who on earth would think 6.00 for 0.33miles is harder than 4.00 for 0.12miles?!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Anyway, went out for the longun with a very definite route to around half way, with a bit of exploring on the way back in mind.

3miles in had a 200feet hill over half a mile that felt bloody hard work - took about half a mile extra to get over.  Out to the offroad bit behind Asda down into Marlow - loads of mud. Quite disconcerting when you're going downhill and seeing 830s and stuff!

That was the sensible part of the run.

Tried going up Pump Lane south, which I presumed you can run up, as I'm sure I'd run down an earlier bit of the other week. Totally wrong, signs and gates saying no entry, and some woman in the hedges (presumably gardening) shouting out there was no route..
    Doh.

Off for a crack up that route into the woods I'd bungled a few weeks back. The map shows a straight line.
    Again totally bungled it, and ended up utterly lost in there again, with some utter trudging in thick mud in places and up and down random banks, and in and out of footpaths, thinking, de ja vu!
    Eventually found my way back into Winchbottom lane (a standard route, which I could have just done at the start anyway without the woods pissing about).
    Managed to run 1/3mile the wrong way down it, and then have to trudge up again, and have the killer 200 feet half mile at the end.
    Oddly felt easier at 13miles, then at 3miles. Albeit slow as a biscuit.

Eventually back to some more familiar woods, and an epic 15.5miler , and 1,300 feet job, which by my standards is big pimping.  7.55 pace not too bad bearing in mind a lot of 8-9s in there.

What I keep meaning to test, is where the footpath at the top of Winchbottom goes - by trying it - not by looking on the map. Then can perhaps manage to do the opposite of it!

I do have a slight fear this sort of run does nothing but slow me, but hopefully irrational!
    Will have to keep it road from here on in!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    It's all good strength work SG! How do you go the wrong way down Winchbottom Lane though? :smile:

Philip - its a real shame about the Strava Flybys. Probably 20% of the people I follow on Strava came about as a result of flybys and either me or them giving kudos afterwards...

Massive stats for January Jools!!! Most impressive start to the year. And yes, I think we got the better weather deal over here - dry, with even a wee bit of sun!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds bonkers, but because I was on a path in the woods, that was going up, and had Winchbottom to my right, then coming out of the woods and continuing that direction turning seemed correct.

It wasn't the steepest part either, so not like it was a clear drop which would have given the wrong direction away. Until the time it did :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps Jools that certainly is some mad stats.
  • Nothing worse than being too hot on a run, SG and Reg. Would always rather be too cold. Solid incentive to speed up! And I do think it is an experience thing as well - you soon get to know what conditions/effort level of run require what clothing. 

The stats make that long run sound tough but a goodie, Bus. Big ascent for the month. 

Unlike you not to enjoy things, Jools. Must have been savage. Bet you can’t wait for some summer weather in the beautiful North Devon. Outrageous monthly ascent from you. 

Hilarious run, SG. You definitely need mapping on your watch. 

Good effort with a solo TT, PMJ. 

240M for the month, 2612m ascent - just to mix my units. Nice little info graphic on Fetch - I especially like the pace breakdown. Either I have my zones wrong, or I do enjoy a flirtation with the no-man’s land in the middle. TBF, I didn’t set them up for mostly buggy running. 

Imagepng

59.9M for the week - the pain of not checking current total before this morning’s run. Managed to accrue this by ‘going a bit Reg’ and tearing up the rule book with a couple of afternoon doubles. 

Family walk up on the hill on Wednesday then ran the buggy back down home. Continuous 250m descent, compounded with trying to stop the buggy from escaping ahead of me. Lived up to my name with horrific quads ever since 😆

10M with 12 x 20s strides on Friday. 

13.3M buggy at 7:28 pace this morn. Weather cold but still - an absolute delight. Cracking run for my longest since the stress fracture. 

Started watching the Unknown Runner on Amazon Prime - largely about Geoffrey Kamworor. Must have been made a few years ago (although haven’t got to the end), but some great footage of his group and also Renato Cannova training them. 

• Stevie G said:
    Had a chuckle with a young pal - he was trying to steal a clubmate's seg - ignoring that 4.00 dead pace for 200m is bloody tasty. Especially as it's not on a track - but he has the bravado of youth and thinks he's a bit of a sprinter.
    Automated tools like Strava are pretty dumb so have to use crude terms so pace is always minutes per mile but I don't know anyone who refers to pace over track distances. 30 seconds for 200m is 4 minutes a mile pace but definitely not tasty. 200m in 30 seconds for a young male is 64% WAVA, same as a 20 minute 5k. 1 mile in 4 minutes is 93% WAVA and a sub 14 5k. Now, that is tasty. 

I could always do a 400m in sub-60 but never regarded myself as a sprinter. 

Stevie G said:
    What I keep meaning to test, is where the footpath at the top of Winchbottom goes - by trying it - not by looking on the map. Then can perhaps manage to do the opposite of it!

I do have a slight fear this sort of run does nothing but slow me, but hopefully irrational!
    Are you talking about the footpath that starts at the farmshop opposite the King's Head pub and then climbs northwards through the fields, continues northwards through the woods, does a little zigzag round Hard to find Farm and then continue northwards to join Winchbottom Lane about a hundred metres short of Heath End Road? 
  • I've decided that Wellington boots are evil. It always puzzles me why the paths are so churned up. Over summer all the paths recover so you can run down any part of the path. Then the rain comes and they get soft and, as a runner, I take the firmest route I can find. If everyone did that, then the usage would be even across the whole path. 

But no! Mr and Mrs walking with their dogs wear Wellington boots and so plough down the middle regardless and churn that up. Once they have churned the middle up so it is unusable by everyone, they then turn their attention to churning up other parts. A few routes I run are so churned down the main drag that people have made a secondary parallel path and those secondary paths are now churned up by the Wellie brigade.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    It's of course all relative when you're comparing world and sprint standards!

But as road runners, and in the context of doing segments, I'd stand by sub 30 for 200m IS tasty

(30secs for 200m is 4.02 pace, so 4.00 has to be sub 30, let alone
     beating 4.00).

Especially as like I said it's not actually on a track (I called it 200m to be more relatable as a distance), and we're road runners.
    How often do you ever see segments sub 4?

It has to be in the context we're dealing with.
    You could no doubt have done sub 60s for 400 in your heyday, but I'd be quite surprised if you were doing that second time round. 
    And for more context, this kid wouldn't beat you in your stage 3 of running, social/fun. So now you can see it's a little mad a challenge.

I've always fallen on the "realistic" side of aims and targets though.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie G said:

Are you talking about the footpath that starts at the farmshop opposite the King's Head pub and then climbs northwards through the fields, continues northwards through the woods, does a little zigzag round Hard to find Farm and then continue northwards to join Winchbottom Lane about a hundred metres short of Heath End Road? 
    Yep, I need to try it the other way round, and then I'll hopefully be able to recognise the right route the other way round.

Otherwise it seems to go in a weird circle, and either take you out way too far down Winchbottom, or down a massive grassy field that leads onto the Sheepridge pub. And not up and in the direction of that top of Heath End road bit.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SQ- wanton rule breaking aside, nice work.

9 for me today. Seemed to take a couple of miles warming up. I probably shouldn't be surprised, in the cold and early mornings, but always seem surprised for some reason! But eventually warmed up to 7.16 average.

Main chuckle was when I started, I sensed a local runner to my left at almost the exact pace, about 20metres into my run.
    I know he takes a certain route, and I thought I don't want to be pushing and trying to stay just ahead of some random for a couple of miles not even warmed up, so took a little detour to save face :D 

Not as bad as the time about a decade ago in my "run every run as it came" mode, and arrived onto a road just as some guy clearly doing a tempo was storming my way.
    I utterly annihilated myself to stay ahead for about a mile, but turned a bend and lay down behind a fence to utterly discombobulate out of sight :)
  •  I've never owned a pair of wellies, I've always thought wearing wellies is a bit like just admitting defeat in life, I hold slippers in the same regard and as such have never owned a pair slippers either.

The only time I ran 400m flat out was when I was young enough to think 400m was kind of a long way. 15 second 100m pace was not nearly flat out either. However for us dinosaurs on here, surely it's close to it now!

Love that Infographic SQ, so much so I have betrayed myself by using a modern portmaneau. A solid month from you there too. 

My week involved three runs and two rides. Just under 12 miles yesterday @ 7:30, picked it up for the last mile as I got to chase down a couple of runners, the second one was a man who was clearly speeding up as my footsteps became more audible to him. I'd been closing him down at 6:30 pace but by the time I got past him I was doing 5:20 as he seemed to be chucking the kitchen sink at me  :D all good fun and thankfully I didn't have to go much further. 

2.5 hours on Zwift Saturday made a solid weekend.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be surprised if more than a couple on here could break 60 for 400m.
    Give it a go chaps :)

I'm still haunted at the lung destroying feeling from hitting 60 in my only ever go at a 400 about a decade ago. I remember coming round the bend, thinking my "power" would see me catch a rival up, and being a bit shocked I didn't, as he did 58.

I can't remember if that was before or after doing a 1k, with an absolutely outrageous first lap in 2.57 I think it was.
    All I do know is when you run at those intensities, apart from for 200s, you're glad you're not a track racer!

I remember pointlessly trying to destroy someone on a run once. I was getting irritated they were nipping at my heels, so I put in full overdrive, and about 200m later looked back.
    They'd disappeared, and I had only the idiocy of doing that to reflect on pre an actual hard track sesh