Options

A thousand miles in 2021?

Comments

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal... well done for coming out fighting again, and doing even more climbing!
    Harmander...Yes. World Masters Athletics Championships were (briefly) shown to be taking place this year, in Tampere, Finland. Now they are re-scheduled for 2022, to be followed by Edmonton and Gothenburg in the following years. (In normal times they are held every other year).
    Thanks Hobie...Have you settled on this coming week-end for your 4-4-48?

Quite windy along the seafront, but fine for my 12 miles. Included a couple of climbs as well as running the piers. Nice to have the evenings stretching out a bit.

YTD: 231' .
  • Options
    Harmander: the recovery seems to be underway, keep it steady, good luck. 

Hobie: hope the 4x4x48 goes well, not something I'll be trying anytime soon!! 

TT: bred sounds good, forecast for early next week isn't great, hope you can overcome it, treadmill coming into its own, methinks. 

Out yesterday evening for 8.5. Longest run for a few weeks, I've a post work window which fits in nicely with a 5 mile run, trying to rejig life a little to allow longer runs but the compromise might be running less often. 

Ytd: 129.5
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    MrMr2 I agree with you, days definitely longer, curtains open till 1700 last night, and we're 'up here'. 

Harmander that is a good mantra to remember. Walking is good! 

Donnie our treadmill is definitely coming into its own, back on it this morning! Having seen the forecast I think it's indoor bike as well.

YTD: 157.47
  • Options
    Nice gentle 5 miles at lunch in work today before this weekends challenge.
    Going to start at 8 tomorrow night & last one will be 5 in the afternoon on Sunday. 12 Strava entries will hopefully appear. Forecast is Baltic.
    I'm always impressed by people who can run for a long time on a treadmill, I can't do it.
    215 miles YTD
  • Options
    Thanks for the details MrM2.
    Cheers Donnie2.
    TT - My PE teacher at school who inspired me to run (John Salisbury - a GB Olympian - check out his details below) told me that.
    Good luck Hobie1495

After a 90 seconds slower dawdle for the 2.4 miles yesterday compared with the Monday walk, I did an extra mile today (3.4 miles) - predicted time was 61 minutes 18 seconds - actual time was 59 minutes 47 seconds - so still improving a bit although the knee is a bit stiff now.
    Will take it easy tomorrow.

John Edward Salisbury (born 26 January 1934 in Birmingham) is a British former athlete who mainly competed in the 400 metres.[1][2]

Salisbury competed for Great Britain at the 1956 Summer Olympics in Melbourne where he won the bronze medal in the 4 × 400 metres relay[1] with his team mates Peter HigginsMichael Wheeler and Derek Johnson.

At the 1958 European Athletics Championships in Stockholm, Salisbury won the silver medal after completing the 400 metres in 46.5 seconds, as well as a gold medal in the 4 × 400 metres relay having recorded a time of 3 minutes 7.9 seconds.[3] In the same year he competed at the Commonwealth Games in Cardiff and won silver in the 4 × 440 yards relay with team members Derek Johnson, Edward Sampson, and John Wrighton. They recorded a time of 3 minutes 9.6 seconds.[4]

• Options
    John had won a Gold and a Silver at the European Athletics Championship a year before I was born - Top man
  • Options
    Hi folks, hope you're well.

Couple more to chip in, a 6.1 road loop and a very muddy 5.1 mile trail loop.

YTD=114.4.

Glad you're improving slowly Harmander, hope you can get back to where you were again in good time.

That challenge sounds intriguing Hobie, best of luck.

Will try and do a decent long run on saturday.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    LintonTT... Well done for mixing it up; road and trail. I really ought to get off the road from time to time!
    Harmander... 'Make haste slowly' is often the right thing to do...and you seem to be doing it. All the best!
    Hobie... Sounds like you are itching to get going. Hope it goes well!
    TT... 'Getting out' sounds like good advice....even if you do come back to the treadmill! Do you have different shoes for the treadmill? or can you get away with using old ones?

Rest day for me. Hope to run tomorrow.
  • Options
    Thank you LintonTravelTavern. and MrM2

You guys keep me inspired and I am pleased that so many of you have upped your game too- Looking back, I think I was on 250 plus miles this time last year and nearly 300 miles three years ago.

• Options
    I was 500 miles in 2020 and I found that pretty hard. good on you all for aiming for 1000. Shows a lot of commitment.
  • Options
    Matt, well done on your 500, everything is good...those that go further just have a very specific "bloody minded" gene.
  • Options
    Hobie1495 - love it.

...those that go further just have a very specific "bloody minded" gene.

I would add, and/or 

no life,

are married,

run for therapy (from stressful work),

wannabe Forrest Gumps,

can't drive,

want to help others catch the running bug.

All of the above may apply to me

• Options
    Harmander - how cool to have an Olympian as your PE teacher!

Nice work, everyone. Hobie, agree about the treadmill...so boring.

Six miles today comprising of a 2 mile warm-up, a 5K time trial (very disappointing...26:39 which is two minutes slower than I was doing last summer and a minute slower than I thought I should have run today) and a one mile cool-down. I guess I need to do some speed work.

YTD: 243
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Matt... Welcome. You'll meet all sorts on here. What does your running week look like?
    Cal... Me too for needing to work on speed! But I do enjoy the longer runs.

Thought I might miss the rain this afternoon.....but, got caught in a squall on mile 6 of 12! Tried reversing the loop, to avoid the fresh S'ly wind, but that didn't work either. Second 6' loop was a minute slower than the first one. Not as fast as I intended but 'comfortably' home in under 2 hours. Happy.
    (Wonder what weather Hobie has for his 4-4-48.)

YTD: 243' .

• Options
    Evening all,

Harmander, Sounds like you are on the road to recovery, very cool to have an Olympian as a teacher.

Hobie, Very best of luck, can’t wait for the write up.

TT, l don’t mind a treadmill run, and did a marathon on one at the back end of 2019, just missed out on 4 hours.

So l have started the February RtS, very nice to have a few “easy” days.

01.02 - 2
    02.02 - 2
    03.02 - 2
    04.02 - 2.5
    05.02 - 3.25

YTD = 194.75

• Options
    Sounds, er, refreshing, MrM2! Well, bracing, I suppose.
    Good luck Hobie!
    David, dear god...four hours on a tready sounds like my idea of hell!

14 miles today...went to explore South Norwood Country Park (I've done the parkrun there but never run there on my own). Unfortunately, as I did the parkrun during summer, I'd not realised the paths get very, very muddy at this time of year (I wrongly remembered they were gravelly sand. They are not). After sliding around and wading through standing water, I binned the idea, took the quickest route through and came back again. I will revisit again when it's dry, I think.

YTD: 257
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Frosty, but bright sunshine this morning. So got out to enjoy the seafront while it was still fairly quiet.
    Just a steady 8'. Tried some faster sections on the return run but there was little response!

YTD: 251' .
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    David, total respect and awe! Harmander sounds like an inspirational person who also knew what he was talking about I often wonder what ex Olympians do afterwards. Hobie and Harmander many of those apply to me.......

Matt welcome, join in the thread, we are very friendly. 

MrMr2 I have two pairs of treadmill trainers and six pairs of outdoor trainers. I also have an amazing independent running shop nearby that also delivers and it run by an incredible person who has forgotten more about running than most people know. 

Hobie I hope you enjoy your challenge.

YTD: 166.89
  • Options
    My longest ever training run today! 18 miles.  Didn't go too badly, although that will depend on how I'm walking tomorrow!

YTD 132.4

Welcome Matt, 500 miles is still a decent effort.
    I'm also a lot of that list Harmander, in fact all except "can't drive" although have nowhere to drive.  

Great mileage Cal.

Wet old weather currently MrM2, been caught a few times in it recently!

Must try a bit of a streaking one day Dave Charman, although the long runs would have to go on hold for a while.

Hobie's challenge sounds pretty immense.

Have a safe week all.
  • Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    TT, re ex-Olympians, most, who knows, but a few just carry on because they enjoy it. On one of my early non London mara's, at Halstead in '96 the great Don Thompson was pointed out to me as he jogged happily along.

For younger readers he won gold in the 50K walk in 1960 Olympics, was also known as Topolino or Might Mouse, as he was just 5'5" and just a really modest guy who loved walking/running.

I've probably unwittingly run with quite a few Olympians over the years, Eamonn Martin comes to mind, but probably Harmander has more experience.

• Options
    I did work with an Olympian for a while - Wendy Sly, who medalled in the infamous "fall" race after Decker and Budd tripped each other up. This was back when I worked on PC Gaming World - I think she was in marketing or something like that. I wasn't really a runner back then - I was more into lifting weights - so I never talked to her about running which is a shame. Kind of kicking myself now.

I wasn't sure I'd manage to get out for a run today due to the weather but there was no snow on the ground when I woke up so I got myself out. I ended up doing another 9 miles and while it did snow, it was the small stuff that doesn't settle. I rather enjoyed being out in it, it wasn't that cold.

YTD: 266
  • Options
    Afternoon all

Not an Olympian but my PE and rugby coach at Prep and Grammar school was an ex Ulster and Irish international. 

So the run streak continues and Run until you Drop, although the first week is tame, at least the date in miles or kilometers. As I’m a wuss I’ve opted for kilometers. Tried this before but usually only get to about day 20 before life gets in the way.

Also congrats to Scotland on last nights six nations, as an Irishman i couldn’t be happier!

Run streak day 39

YTD 194.38 miles

• Options
    Good running everyone.

Famous UK runners I have come across (from memory) in more than just being in the same race include

Dave Bedford
    Brenden Foster
    Mike Gratton
    Hugh and Steve Jones
    Charlie Spedding
    Richard 
    Steve Ovett (always liked him over Seb Coe)
    Steve Cram
    Richard Nerurkar

Paul Tergat loved our club because of Fauja Singh and we spent some time together

I also know Ashleen Kaur - she is not famous yet because she is only 6 - my grand daughter  lol

• Options
    Harmander, Sara Hall and Gerda Steyn were running the half I was running on the 19th, it’s now been cancelled .
  • Options
    Dubai,
    That would have been good.

BTW, I managed a 5 mile walk the other day.

• Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Harmander that is quite a list, I did often meet Steve Cram running round Newcastle when I was at uni, he overtook me on many an occasion!

DR well done on that running streak. LTT 18 miles is fantastic, congratulations. 

It was snowing today, good for a walk but the run was in the garage again!!!!

YTD: 176.99 (whoops 🤣)
  • Options
    My only contact with Olympians are a selfie with Paula Radcliffe and beating Ewan Thomas at Man v Horse a couple of years ago...still think he might have the edge on me over 400m.
    Great to hear your stretching out the walks Harmander.
    Dubai, enjoy the streak, think I might struggle with that.

Not my weekend....Should anyone suggest that running a mere 4  miles, once every 4 hours for 48 hours...it doesn't sound too ridiculous (technically 1 mile an hour)...But I've found out that it's a wee bit harder than in sounds.

I was joined at the last minute by the chairman of our running club who was going to join for 1 or two laps but after his wife taunted him decided to do the whole thing.

So we decided on 2 routes (one from my house & one from his, alternate them to releive the monotony...helped.
    Lap one started at 8 on Friday night...finished in time to catch some of the Amazing "It's a Sin" on tele before a quick kip.
    Lap 2 after a short drive, slightly hillier route.
    Weather wasn't terrible and alternating the routes helped and we even managed to finish with laps 11 & 12 being the fastest of the challenge.

We added a bit to the last lap and pushed the 48 to 50 miles...with 3750ft of climbing and getting my Brooks Ghost shoes to 1000 miles (Strava reminders hate me).

Sunday dinner and wine have never tasted so good.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hobie well done, that sounds like a very challenging thing to do. Congratulations on making it through.

Agree with you on it's a sin, I thought it was brilliant. 
  • Options
    Cal / TT, I really don't mind the treadmill at my local gym, it has a pleasant view out to the park and when I did the marathon, I set the speed to 10.6km p/h which seemed comfortable for around 3.30 hours, but had to slow down at the end, I shall have another attempt at some point.

Cal, I had a crush on Zola Budd as a 10 year old, I was gutted when she fell in that race!

Linton, Well done on the long training run, personally I don't think you need to go much further for a marathon, just my thoughts though.

Harmander, Good to see you are still recovering well, that is quite a list of well known runners.

Hobie, Well done on the 50 miles, isn't it funny how some of these events sound so easy on paper, but not once you are doing them? I must give this a go a some point this year!

Dubai, Good luck with this week, the distances are increasing, not that you need me to point that out  :D

So, I am carrying on with RtS, still fairly low distances, managed to get out early today, however we have had very little snow in Sussex so could have had a while longer in bed!

06.02 - 3.75
    07.02 - 4.5

YTD = 203.00
  • Options
    Well done on the 200 miles David, definitely give it a go...planning is everything, know what you're going to do in the breaks (eating, sleeping and family stuff) fueling isn't as critical as a normal ultra due to longer gaps...pretty much eat what you want.