My Last Run

Comments

• H'nut, that sounds more like an adventure than a run! It comes straight out of the SAS training manual: can you do it in full body armour the next time?! Awesome stuff: full respect!
  • Hazel, I've been known to shout at myself to pick my damned feet up.  :D
    Great running there - and top exploring. I rather like llamas.

Linton, my Epics are closing in on 1000 miles! Strava keeps sending me nagging emails to change them. You should be able to get another 300 miles out of your shoes but maybe keep them for shorter runs and use a fresh pair for your longer runs.

John, congrats on the sub-50!

I took a deliberate rest on Saturday (rainy and I wanted fresh legs for my Sunday long run) but when I woke up yesterday I felt groggy and awful. I settled on a 6.5 mile walk instead. But I managed to crank out a hilly (over 2000 ft/616m of climb) 18 miler this morning. Body is not happy but the challenge ends on Wednesday so I can do some lovely flat runs after that and maybe work on speed a bit. Today's run was very slow, but that's OK as the goal was elevation.
  • Made me laugh JB.  New route = don't know where water supplies might be and how long it will actually take so I go prepared.  I did think on route that I hadn't got any money or my public transport card with me if I should need it. 

I like llamas too Cal.  Massive run yesterday.  Don't overdo it on the last couple of days of that challenge. 

Recovery 4 and a bit yesterday evening.  Wet and gloomy and I had the woods to myself in the half-dark which suited me fine.  I could finally run one of my standard loops again now that the ice has more or less gone.  Just a few patches needing care.
  • Ha ha I won't. A slow, ploddy 4 mile recovery for me too. I was considering not running at all today, but since I didn't run Saturday or Sunday, I thought I'd see how it went. And it wasn't bad, aside from getting wet feet from a few unavoidable puddles on the common. My soleus was sore when I mashed a roller into it before I went out but it was OK on the run - I think it's really just overcooked from all the hills.
  • Cal, I think those hills would just about finish me off with my knee and Achilles. Not to mention the distance. Whoever designed that challenge must have a little bit of the sadist in him/her.

I've bored you before on my cemetery track run (250 metre circular) and how the Garmin registers 5k when it's clearly 100 or so metre short. Cal gave me a very clear explanation of how this can happen. So today, I did it again, Again it registered 5K and this time it really was 5K - i.e. I finished 100 metres further on than usual.

Maybe the satellite took pity on me. The good news is that this gave m an SB of 22.04 (WAVA 76.72%). I was pleased with this as there was a buffeting cross-wind. And with it being 20 laps it means there are 80 'corners' (OK, bends).
  • Not boring at all JB - it's a running forum after all.  That's a great Wava and time - well done.  Think I would get dizzy with all those laps. 

Gentle trot of a bit under 6 miles in 59:17 with a guy from my more or less abandoned Tuesday group.  He came over my way so I had the responsibility of dreaming up a suitable route.  It being a wet, windy and dark evening I decided it would be prudent to stay off the harder trails (slippery roots) and stick to more civilized tracks.  I think he was happy with my choice - minor jog around my village then a loop in the woods.  We kept the pace low so that plenty of chatting could take place and hardly noticed the not so grand weather conditions.  It was pleasantly mild anyway.
  • Oh I rather like hills, John - or at least the challenge. Maybe not so much when I'm puffing up a steep one, but getting up it is rewarding.
    Excellent time and WAVA there. I think I've only got above 70 a couple of times. 
    Nice to have a chatty run, Hazel - I do all my runs solo unless I'm racing.
    Well, the recovery run did the trick. I got myself out at 6.30am and knocked out a 12 mile run with over 400m of climb. I did what I said I do, which was heading over to the far side of Streatham Common and doing reps of Norbury Hill. Normally I go up the steeper and harder Gibson's Hill then down Norbury, but I did the reverse today. There's a short 10% bit just before you turn into Norbury but Norbury Hill itself is 6-7% for the mostpart, so it's easier on the calves. It also gave me chance to practise my downhill technique on Gibson's - first downhill was very tentative (it was barely light at that point, mind) but I got quicker with each lap.
    I still had some energy on the way home, which is net downhill, so the last couple of miles were sub-10s. Yeah, I really enjoyed that run.
  • Good way to finish the challenge Cal.  Have you worked out how much climbing you did in total?  Good idea to practice the downs as well as the ups.

Speed work for me yesterday once I had kicked myself out of the door.  Another wet and potentially windy day didn't look at all inviting.  I drove down to my standard flat route for speedwork and it was at least less breezy there. Bit more than 2 miles warm-up with a couple of pace pickups.  Then 2 x 2 miles (ish - GPS measured) with around 2 mins recovery between the two reps at LT pace and another 2 and a bit miles back to the car.  I was expecting the speed bit to be hard work and it was but not too hard.  Getting more confident about such runs again but I need to do them on a regular basis and look to run the whole 4 in one go.  Rain didn't bother me too much - I don't think I have ever seen the fields so wet - they won't absorb another drop I think.  My cap did get on my nerves a bit though and I ended up flinging it into a minor puddle to be collected on the way back.  Quiet stretch so not much danger of it disappearing before hand.  Capris also kept sliding down a bit which I could have done without but I decided to keep those on. ;)
  • Hi folks, hope you're having a good week.

Definitely have a little bit more bounce in the legs after halving my sunday long run to 7 miles.  Will be sure to do a cut back week more often, I guess I can't manage one every week indefinitely.

Last night a 6.1 mile road loop, nice and easy. found one runner who was hands on knees, having real trouble breathing, but just said he was out of practice, and was OK.  Also a serious looking cyclist repairing a puncture, (also Ok).

With a shorter sunday run I felt OK to run the next night too, result!  I finished work a bit earlier than normal and got home and it was still light.  I've discovered this awesome app called alltrails.com (possibly of interest to you guys) that helps find local trail routes, and off I set. Plenty of new exciting routes to try.

Like you say Hazlenut, the ground was so wet and flooded. Huge lake-puddles and ankle deep mud. I actually really enjoyed it! I can really feel different muscle groups in my ankles working over that terrain. 

That hill challenge sound hard work but rewarding Cal, well done, Do you find your knees hurt when you run downhill fast? I do, but have limited exposure to steep hills.  I know you're meant to attack them rather than break stride. More practice needed! An 18 miler is epic! Hope I can get there soonish. 

Good range of running Hazlenut, like the speedwork.  I think your running has inspired me a bit to find some off-road loops, regardless of mud, they're just better! It's tricky round here but possible.

Great 5k John.  In simpler times when I did my Thursday night run, a football team would always practice on the town school's 3G pitch. There's a cracking running track next to it  and I always wondered if I asked if they'd let me train there Thursday night, while they played. (I have DBS check). Would've been awesome!

Have a great week all.

• Glad you are feeling the benefits of a cut-back LTT.  Sounds a bit dodgy with that other runner - good on you to check on him - he must have very much been overdoing it to be in that state.  Good news you are discovering the trails - don't worry about any drop in pace and enjoy.  Running well downhill isn't easy - I'm not good at it but I don't have knee issues rather I get serious quads and butt DOMs if I race them.

10 miles yesterday afternoon - I started work late but took a break to run in daylight in the afternoon and went back to my PC later on.  Lumpy route but got round it mostly ok considering Wednesday's speed work.  I did inconviently get suddenly rather hungry at the bottom of the long hill home at around 7 miles.  Managed to keep going though - good thing as it got me home to food quicker than if I had given up and walked at some point.  Second day out in capri tights but will likely need the long leggings again next week. 
  • Hazel - 5,153m (runs and walks). That was just under a third of my team's total. Nice speed session.

Linton - I've had knee pain from running down hill in the past, but not currently. The steeper the slope, the slower I go but I'm still developing my technique (and confidence). I've found if I take itty bitty steps and kind of S-curve on the way down steeper slopes, it helps.
    We all need cut-back weeks, not just for freshness but to avoid injury. 

I had today earmarked as a speed session so decided to go back to my local flat road triangle for a 5K time trial. Legs felt OK on the 2 mile warm-up, even though it was still quite early, but the 5K was rather disappointing - 26:39. That's a whole two minutes slower than I was doing last summer and even if you factor in residual fatigue from my runs earlier in the week and early morning stiffness, it's pretty poor. I was hoping to be under 26 at the very least. I did another mile to cool down afterwards.

It was/is mild here - sun out now, although it was only just getting light when I went out this morning. It will be cold again from Sunday - I hope that doesn't mean more ice and snow but it's a distinct possibility so I'm probably going to do my long run tomorrow instead of Sunday.
  • Today didn't quite go to plan. It was intended to be a long run with the goal of exploring South Norwood Country Park (I've done the parkrun there but not been aside from that) which is further along from Crystal Palace. I got myself there OK, though legs felt pretty heavy, which is not surprising given the hilly 18 on Monday and the hilly 12 on Wednesday, plus speed yesterday. 
    My recollection of the park having gravelly paths was false, as it turned out, but I did do the parkrun during summer. When I got into the park it turned out to be very boggyand I spent some time slipping sliding, walking and wading, which resulted in a 13 minute mile for that part. I decided not to do a circuit of the park as planned but go out the other side. However, I must've taken a different exit to the one I'd originally planned using Strava maps (since I don't know the park well) which meant the nice route home through various green spaces didn't happen and I navigated my way back to familiar territory along a main road using the transmitters as landmarks.
    I thought I was heading back to Crystal Palace but then I realised the transmitter I was looking at was the Croydon one, which sits up by all those nasty hills I love to climb. Still, I knew where I was so I headed back to Streatham from there. I was only on 11 miles when I got back to the top of Streatham Common and realised I couldn't be arsed with taking a detour just to bang out another seven or more miles, so I opted to head back home. I did 14 miles in the end, but I did push the pace to a more respectable sub-10 for the last few miles.
    I may do a recovery tomorrow if I am able, but with snow forecast I'm not sure if that'll be an option. I have done 54 miles this week so it's a good total already, without any extra.
  • Pleased with a decent run today.  Planned to do 16-17 miles, a sensible increase from 15.
    Woke up early when it was still dark,  I was actually pretty excited to get out and try and do a long run!, and knew the earlier I went, the less chance of hitting rain.  Standard 500ml lucozade, and a coffee that would give a rhino an anxiety attack, and out the door.

left just before 7am, just starting to get light.  Plan was to do a 11.2 mile road loop then quickly swap shoes for older ones (in the porch) and do a very wet and muddy 4.8 mile trail loop for 16 miles.  I thought it may feel a bit easier on me, and lots more to look at.

At one hour I had my first ever gel, mint flavour.  A bit strange!, but not unpleasant.  The easterly wind was chilly, but I was well dressed.  I got home from the 11.2 in about 1:50.  Quick change of shoes and downed a lucozade, and back out.  The trail was super muddy, but lovely and soft to run on and less slippery than wednesday. Progress was pretty slow but that was fine. By 15 miles I was pretty weary and constantly checking myself for overly sore bits, but felt Ok.

Home at 16 miles, but felt passable so threw in a gentle 2 mile loop for 18.  Didn't feel totally wiped out when I got home due to the easy pace, 2 lucozades and a gel, but was getting pretty sore.

18 miles in 3:04 (10:15ish miles, although more 9's on the road, 11's on the trail). My longest ever training run! Hope I feel reasonably Ok tomorrow, so paranoid of overdoing it now on these bigger runs and hurting something.

Really pleased with that.  If I could learn to maintain that for another 8 miles (difficult I know) that would be 4:30 marathon territory.  For the first time, doing a marathon seems possible, rather than completely implausible!

Great running Hazlenut, as stated, it looks to be very cold next week, we are forecast heavy snow tomorrow, which is concerning as I'm working miles away, so praying it misses us!
    I also got hungry on my run today, and have eaten loads today!  Evidently lost a few calories.

That is  huge weekly total Cal! three long runs in a week.  Know what you mean about all the mud and general sliding about, roll on summer!  Think you may be right about the ice next week.

Have a good weekend.
  • That's a great long run, Linton, you're right to feel chuffed. Not sure I'd fancy a mint gel though I guess it would give you fresh breath eh?

Wasn't sure I'd run at all today but there was no snow on the ground when I woke up (just wet) so I decided to go for it. As I'd already done 54 miles this week including some tough runs, it was only ever going to be an easy run, but I thought it would be nice to do 6 miles to get me to 60 (which is as far as I've ever done in a week).
    I made up the route as I went along and then decided to do the Brixton to Wandsworth prison run (albeit by a slightly different route than last time) so I ended up covering 9 miles for  my highest ever total. There was the temptation to round up to ten but I started feeling quite tired when I went through 8 miles and since I was a mile from home at that point, it seemed appropriate to end at 9. That takes me to my highest ever total of 63 miles. I will definitely rest tomorrow.

Weather didn't feel that cold except when the wind blew, and it was gusty rather than constant, and while the snow did start around 6 miles in, it was small and didn't settle. Hope it stays that way.a fab long run, Linton. Not sure I'd fancy a mint gel - I guess it would leave your breathe fresh though! I had some chocolate mint ones given to me by a clubmate but I found the much too sickly.

• Impressive climbing Cal.  I wouldn't be disappointed by the 5k - there will be some accumulated tiredness in your legs from the miles and the hills.   Maybe cut down both for a few weeks and put in some speed training on top of a regular 5k?  Good idea to get yesterday's run done considering the forecast.  Hope you don't get too much snow.

That's a great long run LTT.  Keep the increases on those small - 10 % seems to be a standard recommendation.  Like the way you went home and then back out again - might be tempting to stay in and not bother! Mint flavoured gel sounds interesting.  What make was that?

Recovery run on Friday - 5.6 miles.  Ran past 2 herds of sheep with herd protection dogs - big white ones that came running up to the fence barking and growling.  Don't know if they were in training for the mountains or if we might get wolves around here (likely not though).  

Yesterday I was out and about with a couple of mates - 3.1 miles solo warm-up then we did a round together, some strength exercices (ouch - been neglecting those) and a cool-down round.  Nice to have a chat.  Bit short of 8 miles in total. 
  • Rare flat long run yesterday.  16.8 miles in 2:25 which was a bit on the fast side - started off too quickly.  Drove down the hill to the river for this - not a very inspiring area as it is very much geared to agriculture - the river is in a channel and not much other than mud on the fields at the moment. Wind can whistle across also which it did in parts, it depends on which side of the river dam you are on.  Few people than I was expecting about - drizzly cool sort of day I guess.  It was snowing lightly and 2 degrees on getting home.  Fuelling - a few swallows of water, a mini mars and a mini bounty.   Feet were a bit sore by the end and my core was aching all the way around from Saturday's exercices but legs feel ok today.  
  • Hi Guys, I am a 3rd year university student looking for runners to participate in my survey. All you need is to have ran over 10km competitively in the last 3 years. The survey will take a small 5 minutes of your time and any participation would be greatly appreciated.
    The link is below - Thank you!!

https://ljmu.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/the-relationship-between-self-confidence-and-performance-i
  • 5 recovery yesterday afternoon.  Met quite a few people out in the woods - mostly dog walkers.  Had to put in a minor pause for one group as they had to sort out several large dogs on long leads causing some giggling from all.  Getting colder again here as well - looking at the prognosis we are due a high of -4 degrees towards the end of the week.  Woke up to a few centimetres of snow this morning.
  • Nice long run, Hazel. It's freezing here - I think it's down to -5 in a couple of nights.

Well it's proper snowy in London now. I really didn't want to go out but I stuck my trail shoes on, bundled myself up in layers and got out just before midday. I started walking up my road but the pavement wasn't that bad so once I'd crossed the first road, I ran the rest of the way to the common. I figured it would be safest to try and stick to the grass/dirt but ended up running on a mixture of that and hard paths, since my shoes seemed to cope. The problem with snow is that it hides a myriad of hazards such as water, lumpy bits you can roll your ankle on and mud. The worst bit was the mud through the woods past the railway line - I knew it was muddy but I figured it must have frozen solid. It hadn't, so I ended up skirting around it at walking pace. 
    A very slow run but I did cover 5 miles. It was sort of enjoyable, but it also felt like hard work. I guess the concentration combined with not having run offroad for a while, plus wearing low drop shoes, tested the old legs in ways they are not used to. 
    Still, at least I know I can run on the snow, even if I have to slow down.
  • Well done Cal, glad you got out!  Well done on your trail run.

Weird to have a couple of days of proper snow for a change.  Parts of Kent are pretty bad.

Nearly binned my car on the ice driving home from work, and then nearly fell on my arse walking down the driveway, the snow having compacted and frozen, so no run yet this week.  Don't feel too bad after my 18, hopefully.

Nice long run Hazlenut, that's rapid! Those dogs sound intimidating!
  • I've found it easier running than walking, Linton - though maybe because I put trail shoes on. No harm in having some days off, though. This is definitely an easier week for me.

I wasn't feeling enthusiastic about today at all but once I'd forced myself to put my tights on, I was OK. Getting into my running kit is half the battle - once it's on then my head's in the right place. 
    It turned out to be cold but sunny - it actually looks lovely and I had enough layers on not to feel too cold, although it was below freezing. Less snow than yesterday and some pavements were decent but others, not so much. I did a few miles on Tooting Common  and the paths are rather icy there so I ran alongside them where I could. I did venture into the woods again and it was slow going there but at least the mud has frozen.

After that I hit the side roads and found most pavements OK to run on. I was able to gain more confidence in my footing as the run went on and the last two miles were at my normal easy pace.

I did 8 miles in the end - not the usual MLR I'd do on a Wednesday but actually further than I thought I'd do in these conditions.

Not sure whether I will run tomorrow or not - it's going to be -5 tonight so it could be very icy, or it could just be cold. I will have to wait and see.
  • Tried to run tonight.  Immediately realized it was a bad idea as the pavement was so icy.  I'm much more cautious since my fall in the ice a few week.  Had to run down the middle of the road, as that was the only ice-free bit.
    I went only as far as our local sports pitch and did loops in the snow, but only 4 miles.

Well done for getting out again Cal, the snow is falling really heavily down here in Sandwich.
  • Seems quite a bit more snow than you are used to at the moment then - and more than I have as well.  Take care.  Running in it / on it is harder work with balancing out all the lumps and bumps and slips and slides.

Agree on getting on the kit and out of the door Cal.  Much easier if the weather is nice!

Don't get run over LTT.  

Tuesday saw a gentle outing with a mate - I drove to his this week and finally got to meet his cows (he is a dairy farmer).  Very curious beasts.  Around 7 miles this time on a pretty scenic route - through a small valley with several small old mills, then up out of a minor gorge to look at some man-made sandstone caves which I hadn't seen before.  We walked up the steps here.  A house at the top of the ridge looks a bit dodgy - the slope right next to it has started to collapse due to all the wet weather.  Wouldn't like to be the people living there. 

Yesterday's outing involved hills - again somewhere between 6 and 7 miles.  Took a bit for me to go out (the get your kit on and out of the door problem) as it was raining heavily at the time I had planned - fortunately that washed away the morning's snow.  1 and a half village loops then 10 x up and down a local hill - the segment I set up has it at 0.23k with 28m of ascent - around 11% but that is the overall gradient - parts are steeper.  Nice workout - rather than all-out pace I concentrated on decent form - using my arms and picking up my feet.   Around 2 miles of cool down.
  • I am not good at picking up my feet, Hazel - when I concentrate on it, it feels really tiring.
    Well done for getting out, even for a short one, LTT.

Very cold last night so wasn't sure if it would be possible to run today and there was another dusting of snow on the roof outside my window. I waited until nearly midday to run and by that point, I was less than enthusiastic, but the sun was shining and pavements were mostly clear. Legs felt heavy, though, and hamstring wasn't happy about the cold. I told myself I'd just do 4 miles but then 4 became 5 and 5 became 6. 

Next week is warmer so I'm hoping to return to some decent distances then. But I don't have a marathon until May (if it happens) so I'll need to pace myself.
  • Tried again tonight! Didn't manage to get out until about 6 it was already minus 2C

The pavements were big sheets of ice and I could only, again, run down the middle of the road and move to the edge when cars came.  Not fun or relaxing in any way.  Gave up after 4 miles.  That's me done until the temperature increases and the ice goes.

Good running Hazlenut.  One of my friends when I was early 20's was a cow milker, went wth him few times, pretty cool.  Nice hill running.

Glad you got out Cal! totally agree, thank goodness for some warmer weather next week.

• My calves are still suffering from that pick the feet up Cal.  Grumpy bits do seem to feel grumpier in the cold - well done for sticking it out for a couple of extra miles.  Nice to get some sunshine.

Hope you were well hi-vized up LTT.  Treat yourself to a couple of days off to get that ice cleared.

11.2 miles yesterday afternoon.  Combined it with a supermarket trip - so shop, dump the car and run - gives me an opportunity to run on a flat route and don't have to worry about any items of shopping going off in those temps.  Sub zero temps (car said -8 on getting home but that is a good 200m higher so likely around -5 on my running route) and a nasty NE wind meant it took quite a while to get everything working.  I was wearing reasonably thick gloves with an extra wind flap (turns them into a mitten) but my fingers promptly froze for a couple of miles.  Feet unusually cold as well.  The worst bit was the quads whilst running against the wind - felt pretty leaden and sore (not helped by the hills of the previous day I guess).  I had to wait for a couple of minutes at a level crossing and put up my running jacket hood and like a buffalo turned my arse into the wind which helped.  I was glad to be able to turn out of the wind after about 4.5 miles - felt much warmer.  Overall pace was a bit higher than I had intended but I needed to generate enough warmth on the out-leg.  A bit of up and down hill on the last couple of miles went down ok though.  Might think about the windproof overtrousers for my outing later (thin tights below) or add an extra pair of shorts.
  • Frustrating, LTT...it's not as icy here but it's still bloody cold.
    That's a good distance, Hazel - I don't much enjoy being out in this weather, even if the sun is out. My legs have definitely felt heavier this week, too.

I wasn't going to run today but I looked at the weather forecast and today was less freezing than tomorrow (it's going to be -5 again, brrr). So I left it until 10 and the sun was out by that point, although it was still freezing. I managed something of a tempo - two miles to warm up and then I attempted marathon pace. First MP mile was a couple of seconds slow but the second was a bit slower due to battling into an icy headwind (not as strong as yours, Hazel, but still slowed me down). After that I picked up a bit and managed the other two in the 8:40s which is close to HMP so I was content with that.

6 miles in all...hamstring didn't much like it but it should be better once it's warmer next week.
  • Rest yesterday so I dragged myself out for a long run today. Legs felt stiff and it was cold and grey and the wind was bitter when it blew, though fortunately it wasn't constant. The pavements were mostly fine but there were a few places where it was ice but, as it was a Sunday morning, I was able to run into the road to avoid it where necessary.
    I decided to treat myself to Anerley Hill (which runs along Crystal Palace Park) since I'd run down it last weekend but had never run up it. I almost did a reverse of last weekend's route, running down to South Norwood, only I ran around South Norwood Country Park rather than trying to cut through it, due to the mud and standing water.
    It was a pretty boring route, mostly along main roads, since I figured I'd have the best chance of avoiding ice, but it was also a mostly new route.
    I didn't check my Garmin except every now and then for distance so I was pleasantly surprised to see my pace had improved - only one mile over 11 (which had 53m of climb) and a few sub-10s on the downhill parts coming home - an average of 10:21 for the whole run.
    I'm glad to see the back of this cold weather, even if it means rain next week - I'd rather be wet than slipping and sliding on snow and ice.
  • Wondered if after my 18 miler I would have any niggles, expected it to be honest.

When I did my two runs during the week my old nemesis my left knee was niggling well, loose, clunky and sore, but I put that down to being bitterly cold, and running on grass a fair bit, that always seems to set it off.

Minus 6 at work yesterday, but a savage wind chill. Did 7.4 miles last night; about 4 miles of trail and lots of laps of our local cricket pitch for 7.4 miles, some at reasonable pace.  By the time I got home it really wasn't great.

Planned 7.5 mile walk to the sea with other half today, but embarrassingly got a mate in our road to pop out and get us at 4.8 as I was limping so bad!  Will take a few days off and hope it improves quickly, fingers crossed, it was all going so well!  My knee has given me trouble on and off since I started running unfortunately.  I do lots of quad strengthening and stretching exercises, but it still plays up.  A hangover from football days I think.

Great running Cal (second one 11 mile plus I guess?).  I know what you mean about running in this weather,  it is hard work to warm up properly.  Well done on the hills.  

Roll on spring!

• Ugh I hope it's just a passing twinge, LTT.  :/

Definitely warmer today, thank goodness. Yesterday's run left me quite sore (not sure if it was the cold, the slightly faster pace or the hills) so I thought I'd give the old recovery run a go as it seemed to work well last time. Did 4 miles. Ice has all gone but the flood by the playground on Tooting Common is back so I got wet feet again. Ugh.