Sub 3

Comments

• OO - painful as much as anything else. Heard an interesting discussion on marathon talk around thinking about exactly why you're doing a certain run or session and tom Williams said he'd never set an alarm to run because sleep is more important. I couldn't fit in the run after work so before work was my only real choice but I was tired all day and have to wonder what the real benefit was. Fortunately ill never know.

Agreed, he could be an inspirational to anyone really. Not necessarily blessed with natural talent but fantastic willpower. Sounds like beautiful double there.

5m easy this evening.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Joe - Good on you for putting yourself out there.  I know some runners prefer there runs at that time of day.  I am in the Tom Williams camp but there must be a certain satisfaction from knowing the run is done early-doors, especially if your following a plan. 

Another lucky 10m run in the sun before this afternoon downpours.  Running with my mate and chatting about maybe running an ultra over the summer as they are the most likely events to be taking place.  Get home and up-pops an email from UTMB saying 180 places are still available in their OCC race (56km) in the Chamonix Valley last weekend in August.  So thinking serendipity could be at work, a good chance this will take place and this most surely on my bucket list, have entered the ballot.  A 10/1 shot and will know if have been successful  next Thursday. If so, time for Jooligan style run climbing.  
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    That's better odds than the London ballot OO so best of luck in the draw!

Joe.. that is very early for a longish run, always very satisfying when it's done though.

No hurdles at York racecourse but the big puddles ensure wet feet and socks.  Even the road 0.5m from me has water right across; passable but wet feet yet again.  Felt a bit leg weary today so a steady 5m was enough.
    From Saturday onwards it looks very cold up here for a few days.  Sunday 0 degrees, snow and 18mph winds!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Id be surprised if Ton W did all his IM training without setting an alarm although he probably dudnt have children back then. He doesnt strike me as the keenest trainer though.....rhe Pete Pf interview was a good one, Tom ran a decent mara following P and D.

OO - nice. Good that you find out soonish too. Nice one on the sunny run.

Another rainy 12m here tonight.
  • Yeah agreed TR, I'm guessing that at some point he changed his tune. in the early ones he's hammering out some good training for iron man and then pretty much overnight gave up the big training and never seemed to pick much back up. I enjoy the show but it sometimes seems a bit ironic that neither Tom nor Martin really run any marathons for the 10 years they are together on the show. Nice 12 in the rain.

Exciting OO, that would be class. it would feel incredibly free to be able to run something like that in the current climate. London ballet results out Monday. Likely the same old "maybe ill get in...oh wait nope"

Wardi - I was thinking about your weather issues earlier with the cold snap to come. you're doing well in general to keep getting out there.

Absolutely foul weather tonight. obviously my turn to cop a soaking. so glad it was only 5 miles.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - next week we'll be back to ice skating ! Have a listen to the inside running podcast archives, the training banter between the 3 is funny, theres some good interviews across the episodes too.
  • Good luck OO. Sounds like you’re getting the best of the weather.
    Disciplined to get out that early for the LR RJR.
    Standard soaking dozen TR.
    Sounds unpleasant enough Wardi. Do your feet suffer from Raynaud’s too?
    January has segued seamlessly into February: 4 days, 4 runs, 43 miles, 4,600ft
    Been fortunate enough to stay dry mostly though an icy shower with 2 miles to go yesterday was deeply unpleasant. After a miserable wet day I enjoyed a lovely sunset on my run tonight so timed that one well. Injected a bit of pace into the mix this week: 9.5M tempo Monday & a steady run tonight on the same route with some segment smashing in the final 3 miles: 1 mile hill (250’)climb/90s jog/600m (1%) DH dash. Yesterday’s dry weather meant I didn’t have to get wet feet on the latter - it’s been flooded in 2 places for over a week.
  • 7 with 10 sets of strides yesterday (with a speedier clubmate, so even though she dropped me on every set of strides, they were still faster than usual!), and then 6 miles steady today (combined with dropping cat food sachets off for recycling).
  • Jooligan - That's quite a hill. You can climb as much in a mile as I tend to do on my long runs! Keeping your feet dry has to be a huge plus this time of year.

Jools - a very green few days for you then!

9.3m today. Treated myself to a garmin 645 with some work vouchers. Listening to music had me pumped up!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Jooligan.. no my feet are fine, in fact I wear shorts 99% of the time - just my hands that suffer.  Good climbing skills from you again!
    Joe.. that's a nice new toy - I see you can buy yourself a coffee or beer with it too. :) Nice run today, I think it's the best temps we're going to get for a while.
    Jools.. my 'good samaritan' act is picking up cans from the grass verge of my local country lane when I'm out for a run up there, taking them home and recycling them.  It is almost always a combo of Red Bull, Stella and Pinot Grigio in a tin!
    TR..
    nice commuting miles last night, this rain seems incessant ATM.
    11m + 4.5m today.  Got out this morning for the longer run, very foggy so headed for the traffic free bike trails again.  Also rained for the first 7-8m to add to the enjoyment factor.  Wasn't going to bother with another run but Mrs Wardi dragged me out for the 2nd one. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Joe - good purchase, my 245 has load of untapped modes i guess.

Wardi - agreed, i only look at the weather fcast to see what sort of hat and gloves i need to wear, i just accept it'll be cold or wet at the mo. My running times are fixed and the weather will be what it will be. I wear a helly base layer under a long sleeve technical T shirt but eventually the wet or cold gets through......good double well done Mrs Wardi.

8m back in this morning, few frothies tonight then long run tomorrow.
  • Big miles Wardi. Good that your toes don’t suffer. I’m the same.
    Good choice RJR. I got the 645M at the end of the summer to replace my clunky old 310XT. Very happy with it.
    Repeated yesterday’s loop again but restricted the effort til the 600m DH dash when I gave it some welly. Bettered yesterday’s time by 3s although the puddle was partially back so wet feet after.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    It iced up overnight here so thought it best to avoid my usual lanes as they are flooded at the mo, they'll be icey this week. Stayed on the flat nearer the coast and with light winds too it was probably a good opportunity to do an mp run......6m easy, 10 av 6.37, 2 easy. Was doing 13 av 6.40 in the undulating lanes in the summer, so probably not quite back to where i was but getting there.

Turboed sunday, so my 6 runs give 68m for the week, 12, 12, 6, 12, 8, 18.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice MP session TR, & sounds like you chose the right terrain.  No ice here yet - it has rained all day but due to freeze overnight/tomorrow so ice could be a hazard.
    Jooligan.. I still have my 310XT which I keep as a spare.  I did use it for a while recently when the strap broke on my FR230.

2 x 4m today, first run outside this morning to avoid the worst of the wind & rain; 2nd run on the treadie.

• Weather situation for next week sure looks bleak eh? Not much time above freezing.

TR - Nice session and definitely not far off the pace. Do you feel you're still off the pace a little due to a build up of the training or some lingering Covid effects?

Jooligan - Your quads must be like concrete battering those downhills. Bravo.

Wardi - not too many cyclists out at the moment eh? One of the benefits of the winter.

The dreaded 8 easy, 8 MP yesterday. MP miles run at an average of 6:14. Legs were heavy as I overran on Friday and had a heavy Friday night on the drinks so I was tempted to bail on the MP miles but glad I went for it. Couple of days off now with some rollering and stretching and then back to it Tuesday. Will probably have to adapt this week to the weather.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - surprisingly no ice here,,just sleety and cold wind. If it stays like that all week running will be ok.

Joe - good frothies/mp combo,,id had a few frothies friday too. Good pace, you are heading sub 2.50.......i assume its the 2 weeks off and the effects of the CV, but ive tried to ease the training back up slowly so maybe ive lost a bit of fitness too.

Aa above, no ice, so i took the opportunity to do another 10m rather than turbo today.
  • Joe - Another good session banked, your young enough to have many beers and still run a pretty fast MP session. 
    TR - Another good week, good Saturday session, I'd happily take 6.37 mm within that. 
    Jooligan - That is impressive climbing. 
    Jools - Running with a faster clubmate is normally good news. 
    Wardi - Good runs on Friday.

I've only drop in now and again to listening to MT and started going through their older shows, enjoyed #224 with Chris Finnil and his 33 years of running sub3 marathons, sage advice. 

Been consistently lucky with the weather compared to most, with todays 14m cool and sunny,  so much so had to take my buff and gloves off after a few miles. 58m for the week, 2nd highest weekly total since August. 0,2 (twinge), 10, 11,10, 11,14.  Interesting week ahead weather-wise, brrr.
  • Nice session, Joe.  Unless I'm mistaken, 6.15s will see you home in about 2.44.  

TR: consistent as always - and, as you know, you neither need nor want to be a peak fitness now (although quite when you will need/want to be at peak fitness is anyone's guess!).

Jooligan: great climbing.

Nice week, OuchOuch.  Plenty of double-digit mileage in there to set you up well.

10 with 8 x 1km off 2 minutes yesterday as part of a 10 miler (I figure I'm in about 40 min shape at the moment, and so it proved to be: between 4.00 dead and 4.06 for each rep), and then a rather ploddy 17 today to make 56 for the week.  For some reason I didn't sleep brilliantly last night, and the route I picked wasn't the best on a windy day.
  • I got snowed on repeatedly during my 14 miles this morning, but not nice fluffy snow, more like tiny pin-head sized freezing cold mini hailstones that bounced off the ground. Less than ideal when they were blowing directly in my face for the last (uphill) four miles. I was mighty glad when it was over and I could wallow in a nice hot bath! Still, better than slush and ice. And I hit lucky yesterday with a nice still morning, even a few minutes of sunshine, before the deluge of rain arrived in the afternoon, so it could have been so much worse!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - building back up nicely, good few days in a row there, with multiple double digits. Dont think ive listened to that interview, I'll get on it.

Jools - ooh nice, 8x1km is a tasty session. Good going today too, tough day for long running.......good point there, another part of the easing it back up is to save ammo for later in the year. I do hope to do some sort of closed cct mara in may or june, and then hopefully have Brighton and vlm which could both happen with no overseas, depends on CV mutation levels i guess, if not theres an Oct Dorney and i have a rolled over Abo place.

CC - hopefully that rain will prevent any snow.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. jealous of your weather!  Congrats, a good week in the bag.
    TR.. good stuff getting out again, that's got you another decent week of miles.
    Jools.. That's a great weekend combo of pace & distance, nicely done.
    CC2.. Well gritted out!  me & a few chums were debating showers v baths last night, sounds like you were glad of yours.  A bath certainly warms the bones up after a chilly run more that a shower does.
    Joe.. cracking 16m with MP, good effort after a beery night. :p

-1 temps, intermittent snow & 18mph winds were enough to make me retreat to the treadie today.  Just over 8m to give me 65m for the week.  I purposely 'front-loaded' this week as I knew the weekend weather looked a bit rough.  Curry and a few frothies tonight.
  • 65 for me too Wardi. That's proper training territory. If only there were something to train *for*...
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - nice one. Enjoy the curry and frothies, id be up for that.

CC - good chance of events coming back sometime in april, may or june. You'll have to wait a while if you want a mass participant event though.
  • Circuits with a clubmate (over Zoom, so from the comfort of my nice warm living room) and then a gentle 5 mile recovery run in the daylight seeing as I'm not in court today.  Sometimes being self-employed, and being able to decide you won't be at your desk at 9am because you don't need to be, is great.  (Although if I could have that flexibility without VAT returns and self-assessment tax, I'd be even happier!)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good for you jools

Had to dodge a few icy patches in my run home tonight but wasnt too bad, 12m with the last couple mp +10%.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Ice dodging in the dark can't be easy TR, 12m staying upright is an achievement in this weather.  :/

Jools.. good to have that flexibility, I rarely run in the dark nowadays.

The zero temps, snow and wind chill factors were enough to put me off the outdoors so banged out 10k on the treadie.  Even the treadie room was cold!
  • Despite it having snowed overnight and most of the day, the footpaths were mostly clear when I set off this evening. It was still snowing though, and once darkness fell it was getting slippery. I have tempo to do tomorrow, and it's a long session that will definitely take me past nightfall. Please can we have some plus temperatures?!! 

Ballot day today for London. Having to hold my tongue very firmly in mouth with the ones who think they're entitled to a place just for filling in an application form every year. Put the work in, EARN a place. I don't just mean a GFA. Equally put in some work and raise money for charity, that's also valid in my eyes. I just get annoyed with the ones who think they should be handed a place for doing nothing more than filling in a form. By that logic I'm entitled to a few million pounds for entering the National Lottery every week for the last 20 years. Sorry, rant over!
  • Maybe do that tempo on the dreadmill, Speedy!  It was apparently -2.8 down in sunny Bristol this morning (so my Garmin stats claim), although curiously no ice (but I guess we've had no snow/rain for days).  I'd planned to do 11 miles, but had forgotten that this particular route was 12 miles: it's a route which needs daylight and I guess morning runs haven't had enough of that for a while! Still, not in court today, so no harm done.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Good call Wardi.
    Fully agree with you Speedy, be interested to see how many go for the virtual, or maybe run a different marathon!  
    Similar to you Jools - very cold, no snow but some ice on my lunchtime 8 miles. Supposedly -1C but certaintly felt colder so 3 layers (t-shirt, light sweatshirt and Gore windproof), hat and thick gloves just about right and glad got it done before the wind picked-up and felt even colder.  Proper races one day nearer.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. always a feeling of self satisfaction when we get the clothing right for the weather, good chilly 8m done.
    Jools.. nice accidental 12m, I'm a little envious of your dry spell.
    Speedy.. yes I agree, if these people desperately want to run one of the world's top marathons they have to earn it - if they don't get lucky!
    Oh, and the BBC seem to think the temps will rise Sunday into Monday so fingers crossed!

In this weather (circa 0 degrees) I have to be a bit careful, if I spend too much time outside my right hand tends to swell up.  Another day of intermittent snow & very cold today so stuck with the treadie again for 10.5m.  I will treat myself to a run outside tomorrow.