London 2020

191011121315»

Comments

• good luck in the ballot tomorrow everyone
  • I’m new to this site so sorry if I sound a little “ out of my depth “ , I have a lottery place for this year, had email saying successful from 2020, but have heard nothing more, can anyone tell me what I should do? Thank you.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    If you have a carried over place from 2020 to 21 then all is well.  You don't get final instructions until nearer the event.
    I guess not many runners will be booking hotels yet for obvious reasons.
  • Thank you Wardi for putting my mind at ease,much appreciated
  • Roger 333Roger 333 ✭✭✭
    My ballot place ( there's an absolute FIRST!) for 2020 has been deferred to 2021.
    I understand the race is happening October 4th.
    But I'm not by any stretch of the imagination an Elite athlete - am I correct in thinking that for everyone else, London 2021 is a 'Virtual' race ?
    Been such a bonkers year I have rather lost track, apologies.

• Dear Roger 333.
    I believe that there will be a proper event as well as a Virtual race - the combined total of 100,000 is talked about.
    Incidentally, you will find the event(s) are on 3 October this year.
  • bobbybrownebobbybrowne ✭✭✭
    Hoping that someone may be able to answer a couple of questions please? I’ve tried calling the helpline but understandable it’s always busy. Okay, 1, Is the 50,000 limit permanent or just until those from 2020 are able to run? 2, I have had my place from 2020, moved to this year, but due to a long delayed back operation l am unlikely to be able to participate, would I be allowed to move my place to 2022? Thank you for any assistance!
  • I found they answer emailed questions quite quickly
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I think the 50,000 runners thing is temporary, it was increased so they could have some sort of meaningful ballot after 2020 wasn't run.  The course is too congested with 40,000 runners so personally I don't think 50,000 is sustainable.
    You can normally defer your place almost up to the day of the race, there are instructions on what to do on the Marathon website.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I thought they always allocated 50000 or so places on basis that 10% or more won't make the start line. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Yes indeed DT19, however when the ballot plans were unfurled there was a comment from the organisers suggesting there would be circa 50,000 runners on the start line this year.  Must admit I was a little surprised at the revised 2.40 qualifying time for the Champs start.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Wardi, ah I see. 50k runners on start line will be too much. I think there were over 40k finishers in 2019 and that was busy.

Yep, that's probably shifted out a fair few back into gfa. The 72.30 half time is pretty mental though. I think the problem is the gap between champs and senior gfa was getting too close.  A few years ago it was 3.05, now it's pushing 2.55. I just assume a lot more people were suddenly appearing in champs than ever before.