Overdone it?

Comments

• Hello again.  I turned 68 this week. I have managed to average 35km per week so far in 2021.  Gradually building up and learning new routes in north Cardiff.  Even did a 400m hill sprint on Friday.  Meant to do a few reps but, appropriately, I overdid it on the first one so it was also the last one :smiley:
  • Well done Pete - good to hear from you - good to be able to run at all at 68 but 35kms is good weekly distance. I’ve done that with hill reps before. Cheers, Skinny
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice going, Skinny.

Pete, good to hear from you. I never do hill reps so can't comment. But as skinny says, it's great work at 68. Hope you're enjoying the good life in Wales!

The weeks are ramping up for me. 57m this week with an easy 18 today. Two decent sessions which both involved cruising through 10k at sub 40 at moderate effort. Plus a weighing at 10,6. Can't work out if getting fitter or thinner! 
  • Sounds excellent DT - you weigh a full half stone less than me at the moment - who would have thought that a few years ago.

10k at sub 40 in a training run at moderate effort twice in a week is brill too.
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Skinny looks promising. I also did 35 miles last week and the previous 3 were 39, 38 and 35. So more consistency than I've managed in a while.

DT some really good numbers there. 10, 6 sounds pretty light. How tall are you?

Pete nice kms there. Seems like 35 is the theme of the week!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Skinny, yes im feeling pretty fit and light now. At least one of my weekly sessions these days brings about a sub 40, 10k.

Mr V, I am much shorter than most of you guys at 5'8. But when you think the lightest ive raced a marathon is 11,2 (and most other distances), it should really help.

4m recovery today.

• Good miles everyone and DT you are flying......belated Happy Birthday Pete  :)  

Managed another 40 miles last week, hope everyone is doing ok
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Thanks, Kevin. Decent mileage there.

10 x 1k today off 1min. Average moving pace was 5.54mm for session with first 5 reps coming in low 3.40s per k then last 5 3.35-3.39 per k.

• That looks a brutal session, DT.  You have moved up several gears during this pand!emic.  Kudos
  • SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    3,4,7, 3,10, 3, 7 for 37 total.

Bit of a niggly, stiff calf/Achilles towards end of week but  hopefully a couple of easy days and some stretching will loosen it up

Definitely a week For being well wrapped up but the snowdrops are out so warmer weather on it’s way.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That's 7 days running there, Skinny. Perhaps you need to factor in 1 or 2 complete rest days instead of the 3 milers? 

63m for me with 12m mlr wed then 12.5m Friday with 10m at steady effort coming in at 6 19mm then 20m yesterday at 7.38mm. 
  • Yeah I'm working on running every day just to re-establish it as 'something I do' - it's actually 25 days on the trot now. 

I'd like to get this week and next week in on a similar format and then break it back into a 5 day structured week as I build the long run to more like 13 to 15 in a 40 mile week.

20m at 7:38mm and 10m at 6:19 - wow (63:10 for 10 miles beats my 10mile PB!).
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Fair enough, sounds like a plan then. 

Funnily enough skinny, it was a 1s 10m pb for me! 

I'm tapering next week to run a 10k tt on Friday just because I'd normally race a 10k or half at this point and it provides a nice cutback around the tt. If on such a format I can sit at 6mm and challenge my pb then in a real race I should be looking at sub 37. 
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    40 miles for me last week, including one session of 10k at MP. Hopefully we've seen the worst of the weather now and doing faster sessions won't feel so risky!

Skinny - Another solid week. Is everything easy at the moment with the plan to add sessions once the mileage is in place?

DT - That's quite a week - you must have impressive powers of recovery! I'd have thought in a real race you would be easily sub 37 given those paces. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    You look to have had a hell of an improvement there DT.  Shows what consistent mileage can do doesn't it.
    10 at 6.19 is a shift.

Am presuming that your "steady" zone is what Moz called my "MP" zone, something around 15-20secs slower than HM?

If so, I had a look at page 1 of my training thread, and I was doing 1.19.21 before starting doing 6 - 6.5milers at around 6.23 pace at the time, so if you're doing 10miles quicker than that you can surely be knocking on the door sub 79.
    And I had a 37.03 10k pre that training, so a sub 37 for you is a given I'd say, depending on how good you are at booting it solo or in distanced racing style.
  • Good miles Skinny, are you looking to do a mid week session once back to 5 days?

MR V another solid week

DT as everyone says you are flying and putting in the miles, times will definitely come 

33mls last week and hoping to take it back up to 40 this week. Looking to add some sort of sessions over the coming weeks.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Mr v, good to see you building in some decent consistency. I put quite a bit into my recovery. After my long run and sessions I get in and immediately have a rego recovery drink and follow that up with a zero high electrolyte tab. I also tell the kids what time I'll be back and they run me a warm bath with Epsom salt and I sit in there 30 or so mins then get out and have a full stretch then use my thumper massager device on legs. 

Also my other 3 runs are all run at 8-8.30mm so take very little out of me. 

Sg I ran mk half mid December in 80.39. I'm a bit lighter again and fitter than then. Also that race was a solo tt in reality on technically a tricky course with lots of twists and turns. 

That's exactly it. I aim for an average bpm of 160, my average in my last half was 174 so well below hm effort. I wouldn't expect to run a full mara at 6.19mm but over 10m it replicates the effort level to an extent. They seem to have slowly got a bit faster every couple of weeks since December. 

I'd say half mara (on the mcmillan scale and on what runbritain ranks highest) has always been my strongest distance so it doesn't necessarily flow that I'd be sub 37. My pb was set January 2020 and a month later I ran 82.11 half pb so I know I've clearly improved quite a bit since then. 

Kevin, some good miles. Worth getting a few sessions in soon as racing should return in 8-10 weeks I hope. 
  • Mr V said:

Skinny - Another solid week. Is everything easy at the moment with the plan to add sessions once the mileage is in place? 
    kevin70 said:
    Good miles Skinny, are you looking to do a mid week session once back to 5 days?

Good running Mr V and Kevin, nice to see you Coach!

Plan is 

1) Get up to 40 miles a week.

2) Stay at 40 miles a week till it doesn't feel hard work whilst also trying to get my long run to 13 to 15.

3) If 2) is achieved then slowly lengthen my mid week and long run to try and get to a mid week 10 to 12 and a weekend 16 to 18 within a 45 mile week.

4) Then maybe swap out the midweek MLR for a bit of quality.

Unlikely I'll make it to 4 :-) so I suppose the answer is 'no sessions planned'. (that doesn't mean that I might not occasionally do a run faster than Easy). 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Superb to see you going so well, and writing so positively Skinny!

I always had the faith that you'd come through the other side, of the down times - long may it continue. 

Big year ahead for you DT - and a great motivator for those that perhaps think they're too old/been running too many years - you've shown that strong committed mileage can bear great fruit.
    You also seem to have a great capacity for running solo for good results. I'm very much of the needing a race for the bigger performances for certain!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thanks,  SG. Yes, 10 years it's taken me to get here and having just turned 45 I can start eyeing decent age group racing, possibly even one of those England age group representative teams. I think muddy got selected last year as v45 off a 79 min half.

As soon as racing starts I'm going to spend a few months racing quite heavily to get some decent times banked. 
  • Afternoon all, 

DT - have seen your sessions on Strava, looks like you're in excellent shape. Hope you manage to get to run your marathon whilst in this form. 

Skinny - looks like you're building up again nicely, take it easy with that calf/Achilles. 

Mr V - likewise good to see you building up the mileage and getting a session in.   

Kevin - you seem to have a strung a few months together of consistent mileage, shame there's no races or parkruns for you to get stuck in to. Perhaps a 5k time trial just to see where you're at?

Pete - good to see you back here and back running some decent kilometrage. Enjoy exploring some new routes around your new home. 

I've had a few weeks of consistent mileage, albeit not particularly high at around 25-30 mpw which has included getting my weekend run into double figures for the first time in months. Beginning to feel like fitness is returning, so last week included some hill repeats which came out pretty well. Starting to to get used to the fact that pretty much every run round here involves a few hundred feet of climbing too. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Same here DT - but just to get some turnouts of any old iron in :D 

Turn 40 in July, so I'm hopeful I can tour the cock n biscuits/bootleg race scene a bit to hoover up some vet tat :)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

SG, yes, it'll be great fun!! Depends where you race turning 40. In Worcestershire the age cats are v40, v50 etc. In Warwickshire it's v35, v45 etc. So If I turn up locally, being 45 makes no odds, I need to cross the border to race to fully benefit.

Tommy, noticed you pushing things up  on strava. I'm sure things will return pretty quickly for you.

Decent session today of 6 x 1m off1  min. Started off with a 6.02, then pushed it on a bit with a 5.52, 5.49, 5.44, 5.49 and a 5.48av. rage rep pace was 5.49mm.

12M MLR tomorrow which I will keep on the very easy side of easy.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    V35 on the road is quite odd? I've seen it for relays and track, but road I thought it was a set V40 across the board.

1min recovery for 6x1mile is quite raw, especially if that's on the road. I'd probably only take 1min if it was threshold level. For 10k effort I'd need 90secs!

Forget sub 37 for 10k, I'd say that's more knocking on the door at sub 36 level. Depending on how well you can transfer it obvs :blush:

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

SG, that was on a loop around a couple of country rds here. Total elevation was 184ft so about 30ft a mile so not hilly by any means but certainly not nice and flat. Plan was to run first 2 at half effort then if feeling good push on towards 10k effort. I guess I did the first at half effort then pushed on.

I'm going to throw on full race kit for the TT inc my alphaflys, just to get me into the spirit of things and a few lighter days before it once I get Sundays 20 done. My mate is coming along too for his own TT, though he is about 45 mins but it just creates  some solidarity in suffering.

• Survived another week.

3, 2, 7, 4, 11, 4, 8 for 39 total.

40 with a 12 long run will do the job perfectly for next week.

Watched Parasite again tonight (on Amazon Prime) - if you haven’t seen it you should watch it - superb film with a bit of everything. Don’t worry about the subtitles, 5 mins in you forget they are there.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Another good week there, Skinny. Any aches or pains?

Not heard of that film, will take a look.

Another bigish week last week. Following Tuesdays session I did a  12m MLR wed, 5m easy Thurs, then 11.5m Friday with 9m alternating between 6.30s and 6.00s so 9m in total at 6.21mm. Finished off with an easy 20m yesterday at 7.39mm giving 62m total.

Lighter week this week as I taper into my 10k TT on Friday.

• Good going Skinny. Is that a continuation of your run streak?

That looks some session, DT! Good luck with your 10k TT. Does today's announcement mean that your marathon is off?

I had a bit of a slack week last week due to an insane amount of work and a weekend of decorating. Hopefully back to it this week. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    No, it fuels the liklihood of it actually being on. The organisers did a fb live earlier saying that it'll take a few days for the intricacies to be disseminated by sport England etc but they feel the fact that from 29th March grassroots sport can commence and there's particular reference to organised adult sporting events, they feel it'll be a goer. 

The only complication is I won't be able to stay overnight close by. However they addressed that by saying they have the venue booked until 5pm and as it was chipped it didn't really matter when people started as long as can finish before 5pm. So in theory, I could get my wife to drive me and request a midday start. 
  • Great stuff!, that does sound positive. I was thinking that races would fall under the 'up to a maximum of 30' rule proposed for Stage 3, I'd almost forgotten about the socially distanced / covid compliant type races of last year  as I didn't bother with them. 

A time trial style marathon sounds a bit grim but hopefully there'd be other people out and about on the course to give you people to chase etc.

I can't see me doing any races until late summer  when hopefully they will be more or less back to normal.