HR training - how slow is too slow?

I've been upping my running and started trying to focus on endurance a little more - specifically heart rate (chest monitor).

My max HR is around 190 so I've been trying out some 5k runs at 130 or below - but the pace, oh the pace.  7:30 m/km (12m/m) is about the max I can manage without going over the threshold; I could probably walk faster.

Is there a point at which you just have to risregard it and accept a higher HR?

Comments

• I don't have anywhere near the experience of some here, but hopefully this answers your question a little bit.

How did you find out your max of 190bpm? Just as an example, when I've done any of the tests involving hills, I have a hard time pushing myself beyond 184bpm. But in the last 400m of a 5k, I can reach over 200bpm. In all likelihood, my true max HR is even higher than I've managed to reach and record. Some watches have the ability to calculate zones based on % of lactate threshold - this has disadvantages, but you may have a greater degree of confidence where it is, and it's certainly not as unpleasant to test!

There's all sorts of ways of calculating zones, but I find the ones that correspond best to how I feel are the ones that take into account resting heart rate, and calculate zones based on % HR reserve.

https://runandbeyond.com/karvonen-heart-rate/

If you have a RHR of 50, based on your HR max of 190, zone 2 could be 134-148. 

Regarding pace - we're generally more efficient at faster paces which can make slower paces feel awkward. Unless you've got a lot of lifetime miles in the bank, you're unlikely to have spent much time running at low intensities, which can mean that it will feel awkward and hard work. Persevere and practise, and you'll build that aerobic foundation and get more efficient at running at lower intensities - meaning eventually your easy runs will be faster and easier.

The key with easy running is staying relaxed, and worrying about pace/heart rate rarely helps with that! It really doesn't matter how slow you're going, as long as your form isn't starting to break down. Walk breaks are a good option if it does get too frustrating to maintain a relaxed pace, and plenty of experienced runners will use walk breaks when returning from injury/extended periods without running.
  • Hi,
    I had a similar issue, I tried some runs keeping my HR low and the pace was just ridiculously slow. I did however manage a lot of miles (for my standard) and found that I could run as often as I wanted to without much pain or discomfort which isn’t possible when I run at higher intensity.

I am currently looking into learning more about my heart rate again as I have found that although I dont feel that my fitness levels have dropped too much, I do feel that my heart rate is much higher during an activity than it should be or used to be.
  • GrenageGrenage ✭✭✭
    I don't have anywhere near the experience of some here, but hopefully this answers your question a little bit.

How did you find out your max of 190bpm? Just as an example, when I've done any of the tests involving hills, I have a hard time pushing myself beyond 184bpm. But in the last 400m of a 5k, I can reach over 200bpm. In all likelihood, my true max HR is even higher than I've managed to reach and record. Some watches have the ability to calculate zones based on % of lactate threshold - this has disadvantages, but you may have a greater degree of confidence where it is, and it's certainly not as unpleasant to test!

There's all sorts of ways of calculating zones, but I find the ones that correspond best to how I feel are the ones that take into account resting heart rate, and calculate zones based on % HR reserve.

https://runandbeyond.com/karvonen-heart-rate/

If you have a RHR of 50, based on your HR max of 190, zone 2 could be 134-148. 

Regarding pace - we're generally more efficient at faster paces which can make slower paces feel awkward. Unless you've got a lot of lifetime miles in the bank, you're unlikely to have spent much time running at low intensities, which can mean that it will feel awkward and hard work. Persevere and practise, and you'll build that aerobic foundation and get more efficient at running at lower intensities - meaning eventually your easy runs will be faster and easier.

The key with easy running is staying relaxed, and worrying about pace/heart rate rarely helps with that! It really doesn't matter how slow you're going, as long as your form isn't starting to break down. Walk breaks are a good option if it does get too frustrating to maintain a relaxed pace, and plenty of experienced runners will use walk breaks when returning from injury/extended periods without running.

Thank you for the reply; and sorry for the delayed responsel I had forgotten I made this thread!

I moved over to HRR zones shortly after posting, they seem a bit more natural and tie in with perceived exertion.  My resting rate is around 43/45, but the max comes from the tail end of a 20 mile run a couple of years ago.  It was an uphill stretch and I gunned it for a stint to see how high it would go.  I admit it's probably not my true max, but it can't be far off.

I've been doing around 35-40 miles a week whilst keeping my HR in the 140s and it's a comfortable pace - some days 5:50m/Km, others it could be 5:30.  I'll try and throw in some tempo runs once my legs feel like they've fully adjusted to the extra mileage.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Grenage-You will not get anywhere near your max at the end of a 20 mile run,you need to do it over a much shorter distance,some hills about 400mtrs long,all out about 6 times with short recovery down will get you close,then add a couple of beats if you aren't sick.
    From there run between 70 and 75% for the majority of your runs and you will see a big improvement in pace after a while.
  • GrenageGrenage ✭✭✭
    Hi Ian,

I will get around to trying for max HR soon when my legs are fresh.  I had a 10k PB this morning but my HR didn't go over 170.  I didn't have much left in the tank, so I don't see how I even had a 190 reading ages ago.

I suppose my heart might just be stronger now and my legs haven't caught up (lots of slow running).
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Grenage-When I got my 10k PB my HR topped out at 169,my max is 184 so it may not be far off.I do most of my runs below 140 so I'd suggest that is your target range.
  • GrenageGrenage ✭✭✭
    Thank you, Ian. :)