Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• It's because running more than once a day doesn't even feature in any of the decision makers mind-sets SG! Remember when exercising for an hour was a thing before, simply because Gove thought that was as much as anyone could run for!
  • It was half an hour BusPressed for clarity on the rules, Mr Gove told the BBC's Andrew Marr programme: "Well, obviously it depends on each individual's fitness I would have thought that for most people, a walk of up to an hour, or a run of 30 minutes or a cycle ride of between that, depending on their level of fitness is appropriate." 
    This was 29/3/2020
  • I don't think Gove making stuff up on the spot gets enshrined in law.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Fortunately not (yet) Reg
  • Good stuff all...

Mojo still a bit low tbh. Each run a bit of a struggle at the moment. Horrible windy 6 x 1k around the estate on Tuesday with the new NB Rebels on. Disappointing, but will need to give them another go. I just can't seem to be able to run fast with chunky soles..no matter how light they are. Think it was 3.30 average or so.

Bought some more NB Propel V2, annoying that there weren't any in Sport Direct for £40 (absolute bargain...might still be some available). Had to pay £70.

Headphones wise - Yineme ones still going well, making sure they are dry when I charge them up so the connections don't denature etc..

Things looking up Covid wise. Irony not lost on our training group that the first track session back at Luton will be 1st April. 
  • Talking of foolishness I did my virtual XC today up at Turville. Requirement was 8k/5m which I did in 41:17 @ 8:25 pace. Elevation gain was 380 metres and so the average gradient was 9.5% but there were a few leg sapping inclines more around 40-45% that had me reduced to a power walk! Going down those same hills was possibly even worse and as they eased to 15% I was able to open my stride up and get very close to 4 minute mile pace but I think that's still a bit too steep so perhaps 10-12% would be perfect, it was also a grassy field so not ideal.  
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg, when i quoted my 8.10 one the other day, you had to better it...or slower it didn't you :D 

Dare say yours was a lot steeper, although mine did have a 200 feet first mile with muddy bits, which set the tone right from the off!

Simon, if shoes are slowing you to a mere 3.30 km i'd certainly bin them ;)
  • I picked up a couple of CRs including one called 'I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here!'

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
     :open_mouth:

I thought one named "The Final Solution" was a bit strong down my way!

Especially as it's a very slight gravelly downhill over 1/4mile, not something even remotely awful!
  • Stevie G said:
     :open_mouth:

I thought one named "The Final Solution" was a bit strong down my way!

Especially as it's a very slight gravelly downhill over 1/4mile, not something even remotely awful!
    Maybe when the creator went down it there  was lots of dew about 😄
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    A guy I rinsed about 20 off last summer took that one back off me.

It'd take too ridiculous an effort to bother with now.
    Have to know when to leave it!

F OFF tomorrow, so i'll probably do some sort of seg fartlek.
    Just have to decide where.

Not sure what's a sensible limit of a drive in fairness either. Marlow/Hurley has been the furthest I've been since I can remember to be honest.
  • Make no difference how far you drive unless you’re spitting out the window.
  • Depends - I suppose the further you drive the more it increases the risk of breakdown or accident and need for interaction with others etc etc. Pretty small increase compared to snogging a bunch of strangers at a house party though (chance's be a fine thing!) :smiley: 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I've spent my life trying to minimise interaction with others  :D 

Will have a snifty on the old strava map.
    If we're honest that's always the most fun bit!
  • Oh, and run today was usual type of thing - 8.6M, 1100ft, mainly firm mud and pleasantly warm. 
  • Reg Wand said:
    Talking of foolishness I did my virtual XC today up at Turville. Requirement was 8k/5m which I did in 41:17 @ 8:25 pace. Elevation gain was 380 metres and so the average gradient was 9.5% but there were a few leg sapping inclines more around 40-45% that had me reduced to a power walk! Going down those same hills was possibly even worse and as they eased to 15% I was able to open my stride up and get very close to 4 minute mile pace but I think that's still a bit too steep so perhaps 10-12% would be perfect, it was also a grassy field so not ideal.  
    I just had a look at the route on Strava: absolutely silly but you missed the chance when you got back to Turville to go up the hill behind Turville towards Turville Heath. Everyone goes up the windmill hill but the one behind has by far the better views.
  • Must remember to head back over that way before long! Given how near that area is, it's borderline criminal I don't run over there more!
  • Not sure which path that would be Phil but I was on my lunch hour so wouldn’t have had time 😂 Possibly going adjacent to Dolesden on or Holloway ln?
  • Great effort Reg.
    Standard consistency Bus & SG.
    My legs were surprisingly good today so 8.5M@7:47 & 660’ Was meant to be recovery pace but I was late so racing the light a bit. Last 2 miles averaged 9 m/M due to some dark unfamiliar footpaths & fields then a steep (7.1%) climb for half a mile. Got some time back on the final half mile descent which was 6:26 pace. Picked up top 10 🏆 on the 4 available segments without knowing they were there 🤣 Funniest was coming 3rd on one of those random mis-named segments when I’d stopped for 90s to say hi to my daughter who was passing in the car. Turns out only 8 people have ever attempted it 😆😆
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Got to love those hidden segs Jools.

Except that you can't actually find them on the map, obvs :)

Just plotting my seg fartlek route now. Classic scenario of having all day to get out there, so am taking ages getting out there. Like in furlough days.

Looks sunny out there! But luckily not the extreme heat of some of those summer days - can still remember doing segs when it was in the 30s one day :o
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Extreme heat. There was frost and ice everywhere when i ran this morning.

Parkrun doesnt interest me but if parkrun are hoping to start 5th june then that's  got to signal normal style events.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Not sure about their logic there. If everything is restriction free on June 21st (at earliest), why have they plotted a date 2-3 weeks earlier?

They made some announcement mentioning April, but surely they were never in the mix for April, as that'll be your distanced, covid secure, monitored, registered stuff.
    Not the free for all mass gang bang of your average parkrun.

However, despite positioning themselves as some sort of casual organisation, they're anything but, so if they're confident in that date, it's another great sign for all of the stuff we love coming back imminently.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    As for me, it was like the furlough days again. Up late, eventually scraped myself out at about 11.30 and off for one of my fartlek seg tours.
    Had originally thought about driving somewhere, but couldn't be bothered getting the car out, when there's plenty on my doorstep untapped.

Organised it into a sensible order, a bit over 3miles out, and then in order on the way back.
    Give or take a bit of pishing about midway having dropped some spare headfones and retracing my steps! :)

Basically 6 segs attempted, but 10 efforts across the 6.

Got all 6, including 2 i'd been stitched up on before by being a metre or two early/late, or some other nonsense going on :)

Ranged from needing pretty fast paces, to fairly moderate ones that I've put to a more sensible level.

3.38 pace for a 1/10th mile grassy one was tidy. Beats my fastest ever seg, that was a 3.50 a few years ago on a road sprint. Will have to have a go at a pal's 4.00 flat road one back in Slough :).
    Annoyingly, I only realised I'd clocked that when I got home, as otherwise i'd have done the other direction, which I joint share at 4.06 pace.  Would have done another crack at that one if I'd realised I was in zippy mode and conditions were up for it.

A couple of segs were messing about down obscure footpaths, one was a fun rampage down a 40foot hill, for a seg i'd never noticed that stood since about 2013 (!), and a nice rectangle round an estate - that I did three versions of to make sure. All would have blown the old record away as it was an old foe I'd had a short sprint seg battle with last year, before he rightfully stopped :)

Last one was the most satisfying one. 5.50 or so needed for 0.57miles, but round a loop I've somehow bungled before. Not to mention being 9 or so miles in by then.
    Made a bit comedy by overtaking some guy at the end, only to stop almost immediately after. "It's ok mate, i'm doing a seg - i'm not ridiculously just trying to beat you for no reason" - is what I didn't even try and word.

11.5miles in the end, and a nice lie down after. And a definitely SAT OFF for first week in 4.
  • Stevie G said:

Not the free for all mass gang bang of your average parkrun.

Blimey - you've been to more exciting parkruns than me then SG :-)

Nice seg bashing by the way.

Guess what I did today? Yep - 8.something hilly off-roader!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    April was for kids parkrun, different rules i guess.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Junior parkrun is APRIL, but if you read the below, they say the adult parkrun "could" return from April from their take on the guidelines.

https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2021/02/26/restarting-parkrun-in-england/

I can't see how it could possibly fit the guidelines for April, unless they totally change it, and have distancing, registration, every individual signing a disclaimer etc. 
    But it's irrelevant now, as they're picking early June. But it seems a random date to pluck out of thin air, and doesn't fit with either the May 17th phase, or the June 21st all in.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Yes strange date, but if its allowed then it signals normalish racing. Parkrun isnt on my radar but its good new for those who do it.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely - the more options the better.
    And the thing parkrun make clear is that it has to be pretty much all events back at the same time (over 90%), or the ones that are on will just be stacked.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    The Bus said:
    Depends - I suppose the further you drive the more it increases the risk of breakdown or accident and need for interaction with others etc etc. Pretty small increase compared to snogging a bunch of strangers at a house party though (chance's be a fine thing!) :smiley: 
    Unlike you bus not everything we touch breaks :D I have broken down once in 20 years of driving. However I am very much broken after yesterday's run, went for a walk with the wife, from Watlington, but that will be the extent of today's exercise.

Classic segment run from SG then. Positive signs from Parkrun, the more momentum there is towards normal the better in my view.,
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Never knew your wife was from Watlington Reg. Good background info  B)