Comrades 2022

Comments

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    So here we go; all together now...
    471 men (why is it always men) went,
    Went to mow a meadow,
    471 men, and their dog, Spot, bottle of pop, sausage roll, old man Riley had a cow,
    Went to mow a meadow!

470 men went,
    Went to mow a meadow...
  • baldstan: I suspect that if races of this sort are allowed, Centurion will hold it.
    Suddenly realising SDW50 is only 6 weeks away, and only 10 weeks to TP100. And despite my 2 x 50K a couple of weekends ago I'm feeling underprepared.
  • Lowrez, why did you have to say sausage roll. I’d forgotten about them. Looking forward to my next trip home and the local bakery with sausage rolls in the heater and eating one from a paper bag.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Oh, yes, not been out on a lads beery day out and had a Sayers sausage roll in months! I am going to put some frozen ones in my weekly shop tomorrow, probably won't be the same, but it's worth a try. Can I send you one? Would you like it frozen or cooked :D
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Bloke I went to school with got vaccinated last week; why haven't I?
  • Lowrez, was about to ask if Sayers still exist as the mention of it suddenly took me back 20+ years! Quick google shows they have a strong regional bias, but there is still one where I grew up in Bromborough!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    They have survived so far McH, hoping they can continue :) 😋
  • I’ve never heard of sayers, the ones I remember were made by the baker in our local bakery. I can buy small frozen ones in the Waitrose pork section, but def not the same. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Back in Barrow in Furness there is similar local baker who makes meat and potato pies. They're not just full of mush like every other chip shop and frozen version I have tried. The potato is sliced and the minced meat liberally scattered between layers. The pastry lid is crisp once cooked. OMG, I'm going to break cerfew and drive there now.
    The mention of a supermarket reminds me of not having tried such things from a Morrisons yet, they have their own internal bakery with a hot counter.
    McH Gregg's is a more prolific but rather disappointing attempt to emulate Sayers.
  • 1owrez, I've not tasted a Sayers sausage roll, or heard of Operation Dark Winter before... so much to catch up on once lockdown lifts.
    Debra, I'm training as if SDW50 is going ahead, but just doing the miles without doing much in the way of quick intervals, in the hope I won't pick up any needless injuries. I had an email today saying St Albans 10K is preparing to go ahead on 2nd April so some race organisers certainly think races will be allowed by then.
  • Cmon Lowrez, 469 men went to mow....
  • I need belly-reduction tips, not pictures of sausage rolls! I currently have an acute granola-related sugar addiction 

5k is hard work at the moment. Why does it get harder and harder to get to base fitness? No fair! 
  • johnny1984: why does it always take much longer to lose excess weight than to put it on???!! Less than 3 weeks over Christmas & New Year that I stopped running and I put on nearly 2kg. Two months later I've managed to lose about 1kg of that.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    1k walk for me after work this evening. Could this be yet another pathetic restart towards London 2021 and a storming sub 4:50 qualifier, dressed as a female Darth Vader ballerena?
    First step away from the granola addiction; start making your own from porage oats, mixed whole nuts, mixed roasted pumpkin and other seeds, you could even add milled flax seed, nuts and Q10, no dried fruits though, too much sugar to feed your addiction.
    You can get through this man! Keep going out. We can do this!
  • johnny1984johnny1984 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    1owrez said:
    1k walk for me after work this evening. Could this be yet another pathetic restart towards London 2021 and a storming sub 4:50 qualifier, dressed as a female Darth Vader ballerena?

I've started my new training plan 4 times since Xmas! 

I've decided to do a bit of charity fundraising for Yorkshire, hopefully that will give me the extra impetus to knuckle down and stick to it

Just realised Comrades 2022 comes too late for me to use the travel voucher from my original flights. Now trying to get a belated refund- fingers crossed....
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    We can do this Johnny, but we gotta knuckle down now, no more lethargy, it's not excuses, it's impetus. When we are fit we are indestructible, we owe this to ourselves, if we let it continue to slide we'll end up bloated diabetic flotsam going early to our graves. We gotta create more blazes of glory!
    Good work for Yorkshire, has the county gone bust?
    They should at least extend your vouchers given the travel ban, do tell 'em you want your money back as a first try though.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Vaccination 1 - March 18th
    Vaccination 2 - June 7th (could have got it 2 days earlier but I didn't want to spend my weekend in a vaccination centre :D )
    Both are being administered at Chester horse racing circuit - I hope the vets get the dosage right otherwise I might win the 4:30 steeplechase :D
    460 men went to mow, went to mow Chester Racecourse...
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    @Dannirr confirmation that my assumption when I created this thread was a good one; we are going to be running down, straight back down y'all, straight back down to earth
  • Indeed, Lowrez curiosity killed the cat! Down to Durban it is, made my day. I ran 50k on Saturday in 3:35 which gave me a good boost for that sought after sub 7:30 for silver, whether I remain committed for another 15 blooming months remains to be seen. Had a recovery week so far and with so little running the mojo soon fades, only 2 weeks ago I ran 126 miles in that week, felt all I did that week was run, sleep and eat twice the normal food so to run again the next day, I enjoyed it but sometimes running can be mentally challenging to just step out to run! 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Is that about 30 miles? We're out of the EU now you know! What are you thinking of for the virtual on 13th June? Go steady now, the last thing you need is an injury! I am sure you are being measured though :) We are way too far out to be able to project expected finishes for 2022 but that is some mighty fine running. I am up to walking 5k every lunch time :D but my desires consist of a finish only. Becca once postulated that I could be in with a chance of the highest accumulated green number completion time. I think the fastest of my four finishes to date was my initial attempt; an up run in 11:52.
  • 31.07 of the good old British mile 😆 
    I think for the virtual this year I’ll just go HM of possibly mara but not the full thing again. I’m getting bored of the virtual stuff. The run on Saturday was for a children’s hospital in Uganda where you literally chose the child the money was going so it had some meaning. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Lets hope you got 'em a covid vaccine - good work! Yep, with 24 hours to land it I think a half is realistic for me too :D
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Well done on your 31.07 miles Mark. I tried to comment on Strava, but just looking at your result made my Strava crash!
    1owrez, got my vaccine booked in too, first one next Tuesday then the second on 2nd June, so I should have had both in time for the return of parkrun on 5th June. And should be over any side effects in time for the Virtual Comrades. Like you and Mark will probably do the HM, and make sure I wear my bib this time.
  • Evening all, guess you guys will get the Oxford vaccine? My wife had it last week and was very lethargic for a day or two. I see it’s now being banned in many countries due to possible blood clots.
    I had the Chinese one.
  • I've been offered 1st vaccine on Saturday 20th. I don't think having it then going out on my planned 50K is sensible. Trying to see if I can change it...
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Seems fairly random/even split between pfizzer and AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine.... of people I know seems roughly 90% no effect / 10% feel sore shoulder /  bit under weather / yuk for up to 48 hours but doesn’t seem any correlation between impact, vaccine given or age or fitness of recipients. I’m still just one year too young to book.  Not thought about what I’ll do for virtual Comrades, but am feeling motivated by having Boston (U.K.) marathon at end of May.... had originally entered early last year  to run last year as a qualifier for Comrades last year. Now looking forward to it in its own right, a motivation to train for something that might actually happen, and the idea of going away anywhere for a weekend seems very exotic!
  • Mc Hilly: thanks re. vaccine. I can't change my vaccine date at the moment so I'm changing my 50K to tomorrow...
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Debra - hope you’re 50k tomorrow goes well and that the weather is ok for you! Is it “just” a training run? Virtual event? Any targets?  I’m planning a half marathon tomorrow - a virtual event linked to having an entry for last years Tokyo marathon, distance is the furthest I’ve done for a while, but time is irrelevant, so long as I complete name goes into hat for a guaranteed place in 2023. It’s good motivation to get me to increase my distance!