Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You.must be hard as nails GD, I'd have cried like a baby 😭
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Dawg - ouch, whats the beer ?

DT - goodwood have moved back 3 weeks to 25th April, so maybe Dorney will move to 24th?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, looking at my data vs my 10k pb, there is some hr scope from today to suggest I could have gone harder which is where the race drags that extra bit out. 

The Dorney organiser posted on sub 3 page earlier with an updated EA Rd map that has further changed to support full racing from 29th. The triathlonand duathlon bodies have confirmed full agreement to racing from 29th and he still strongly believes it'll be on. However, 24th April isn't too long to hold back a bit on so if that happens it'll not be terrible. 

Gdawg, hope you don't wake up with any aches and pains tomorrow.  
  • Ian - thanks for the heads up. Shame you can't make the new date. Do you have a plan B?
    Jools - yes, freezing here too.
    DT - wow, that is pretty amazing. Cracking run.
    GD - ouch, glad you saw the funny side. 
    I will never quite get the extra pace in a race. To me it's a bit like turning the amp up to 11. I guess I am just wired differently :)
    10 slow miles today.
  • 6 mile recovery run this morning to make 72 for the week.
  • 19 to make 58 for the week and 230 for the month.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Easy 16m today in beautiful  conditions. Strange having been running 20 milers how 16 didn't seem far.

Thats 230m for me in February also which is my second highest ever after a 232 in March 2019. 3 big weeks to come now before taper. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I did a hard sesh yesterday on the beach so an easy 12 today including 6 with Mrs OO, with an eye on her marathon debut at Manchester. 52 for the week and 217 for the month. Some big totals rolling in 👍
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Cracking totals coming in. Nowt so big here. Rest day today after a 5 recovery yesterday to bring 46 for the week and 182 for the month, one short of my second biggest Feb ever. Six continuous weeks of hitting around 45 miles, the base setting is going well.

Targeting 200 in March, only hit that monthly total twice.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    DT - lets hope there's a run britain update soon, must be a reason that Goodwood had to defer 3 wks. But if Dorney stays as early April then there's enough time for 3 more weeks as you say (and 3 more long runs).
  • 5k TT on the Forest Rec parkrun course yesterday, came out at 20:00. On that course that's worth 19.20 ish versus a flat course. My Forest Rec PB of 19.21 was run 2 weeks before my Sub 3. That same day Literatin (formerly of this thread) ran her pancake flat local one in 18.4x. We'd been running near identical times in all of our races (many of which were head to head as she lived in Nottingham at the time), usually I had the edge on the roads and she'd take me down on XC. I really miss her, we used to do our Sunday runs together. 

For a change, the weather was absolutely perfect. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Decent total there,  oo. 

You too, gdawg. If you can be hitting 200 now then it'll stand you in good stead come London. 

Speedy, that's a solid time. Are you friends with Lit on Facebook? Things have changed a lot for her in the last year or so. 

Dorney organisers are still convinced it'll happen as planned. Yes, I've 22 next weekend then a mixed pace 20 then a final easy 20. I only ever do a two week taper. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Jools - good miles to round off a solid month.
    OO - how is Mrs OO getting on with the training?
    GD - building up nicely.
    Speedy - good effort at the TT.
    DT - really hope it goes ahead. You are flying.
    12 slow miles to start the week.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Hope you are pleased with the 5k time Speedy, sounds like good progress.
    She's just ticking over on 15 miles a week Gul, we will probably start building in June. Good start to the week👍

• DT - yes I am, and I am so happy for her. She doesn't post much but I'm sure we'll get an update in May. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - I'm sure her coach has it all in hand :)
    Another 12 miler today; easy with strides and milk from Tesco.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Nice grocery 12, Gul.

Felt tired yesterday so had a second Rest day as I knew what I had planned for today.
    12 miles run as alternate miles of 7.0x and 6.4x. Really pleased at how comfy it was although I did have to work a bit harder in the last few due to long slow inclines. Hit all of the splits and popped in a 6.29 final split to please the crowd. Average for the trip was 6.55.

First session of that type since early December and a better performance today. Training is working.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

speedy, yes I am sure we will hear from her in May.

Nice 12 and multi-taking, Gul.

Solid session, gdawg with a strong finish.

Session for me of 10 x 3 mins at hmp off 1 min jog recovery. Covered 6.30m in 39.03 so went through 10k in about 38.45 at 6.12mm average. HR was pretty low and I certainly don't feel like I think I should after a 38 minute 10k.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Crackerjack session there, DT, nicking that!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Dawg - good mixed pace run there, when you can run 12 (or ideally 13 or 14) at 6.50 in training you'll be ready......if you've done the miles........i do 10x3 mins with 30sec jog sometimes and build it up to 20 reps some narathon campaigns, long fartlek really.

DT - considering they already knew the sort of things that need to be put into place in order for CV safe racing, the silence from Runbritain is deafening!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, gdawg. 

Tr, yes they UKA got their road map out pretty fast so if I'm honest I didn't expect this delay now and it's pretty irritating at the very pointy part of mara training. 

Yes it's basically 10 x 0.5m. I just found it difficult to fully adjust pace and pull back the recovery part in just 1 min so they were coming in low 7s. 

3 more days training and I've survived the school closures! 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    I like timed reps, ive only recently started using a garmin and liked the not knowing paces, even when i do that session now i dont take lap times, just do the reps until 35min has elapsed from when i started.......it would seem that the delay in updates means a delay in racing, to be fair the British athletics roadmap said minimise travel, and if the govt  roadmsp slips a week then dorney at easter wont happen......i think its ominous that Goodwood rolled back 3 wks......theres supposed to be england athletics presentation later this week about roadmap too.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You guys are making me feel slow. I was planning to run 4*1 mile at 6m/mile pace but couldn't get anywhere near.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    GD - good session and a strong finish is a good sign.
    DT - cracking run again. I will have to check out how to set up an interval session on my new watch. 7 months to VLM, so still base building at the moment.
    OO - if you feel slow then I am positively plodtastic.
    6 mile recovery run today.
  • OO, my mile reps (after a 2 mile 'tempo') were 6.17, 6.16 and 6.11. To be fair the schedule said 6.20s, which would be the same pace I did for my 5k time trial at the weekend, so I would say I exceeded expectation. It's just that current expectation is rather slower than in the past!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Impressive all the same Speedy 👍
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    At my very fittest I would have done mile reps at that pace if it was a solo session. Maybe 6 dead if a club session. Many ways to skin the training cat, so to speak.

7 very steady this morning, as I felt curiously flat and listless.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Speedy - still a great pace for those mile reps.
    Jools - hope you find a bit more zing in your step today :)
    My left hamstring isn't feeling 100% this morning, so decided to take a rest.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Looks like a lot of speedy reps going on folks. Don't feel a failure at all as it looks pretty impressive. Back from two weeks of Zwift cycling to allow a swollen cuboid/fifth met time to settle down. Removed some inserts which were no longer needed and have been religiously doing my daily foot strengthening exercises (Gul?) Eased in with a 10 min tester and then decided a tempo session would be fine. Felt really good to be back again, even if it was on the 'mill. Surprised at how cycling maintained (and dare I say improved?) my CV fitness... It has inspired me to upgrade from my only bike to something special using mum's legacy.  Send me your suggestions lycra-clad folks! Was drooling over this last night: https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road-bikes/domane/domane-slr/domane-slr-7/p/28715/

At first I looked at cyclocross bikes and was drooling over the Trek Boone which my friend in California says she loves (and she practically lives on her bike). Then I found dirt bikes are more comfortable for long rides and something called a Juliana Quincy was highly recommended. Then I looked again and saw my husband’s bike has been upgraded so you can ride it like a dirt bike because Trek recognise that people want to ride over varied terrain. So, do you think this is overkill or maybe it’ll instil in me a love of riding and mum will be smiling down on me riding a ridiculously expensive piece of kit? 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Nice to hear from you, MsE, and glad the foot seems to have settled.

After yesterday's trudge, today's 10 miler was a lot more spritely, despite being on a lumpier route.  Funny old business this running game, isn't it?