Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Well, glad I haven't got tickets for day 3. As badly as most of both teams batted, that was a pitch unfit for test cricket.

TS: I had my jab on the 7th February. I have been ill ever since. May be a coincidence...

Gradually getting back to things and today I caught the tram to collect a laptop plus some training on it. Had to use a stick in case I keel over. Survived. Local council have redeployed supply teachers like me to work on postal votes: they have been inundated with applications during the pandemic. 

Hopefully a stickless walk tomorrow.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    TS/alehouse - as I said - riveting viewing, but not  Test cricket !   

pleased to hear you are getting about, alehouse.  

no reaction (that I noticed) post-jab (2 weeks ago). Mine was the Pfizer - chatting to the former Mrs B, she experienced a few days tiredness and feeling "a bit off" after the A.Zenica . . .    

anyway, headed out soon after Rohit's winning six, for another 3 miles in the park, with some "grass stridouts" included.    Legs better than yesterday!  

Dave
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Mmm, I don't like the sound of how you are all reacting to the vaccination. I just heard today that I may be able to try and get an appointment in late May. So I have three months to see how you all get on.

Alehouse,
    well done on venturing out, you are not concernED about travelling on public transport?

A 6.2k run with the boys today but the footing was awful. Wet feet again, I can't wait to try my waterproof socks, they are on their way!
    The run was slow and short, because of the footing and I did have my knee strapped, but no issues so pleased with that. I will probably use the support for my next few runs just to be sure.
    Mick
  • Mick, I'm not particularly concerned about public transport: nobody on it and had a coach to myself in both directions! 
    Re socks, I found that they took a bit of getting used to. The main advantage is you don't get that soggy feeling. 

Birch: I had the AZ jab.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Looks like various reactions to the jab. Our front-line people are getting the vaccine first.

On a different note - who has a Garmin? After my walk/run this morning my son showed me on my Garmin - under Health & Performance my VO2 max - it said 39 top 5%of age and gender and Fitness age 20!

I'd love to believe that! What do you guys get when you check that out?
  • I would imagine that you are in the top 5% for your age, NZC!
    I usually get 49 or 50 for my VO2 on my Garmin 45. 
    Will you be lining up at Rotorua in May? 
  • Alehouse - yes that's what it says - I know nothing about VO2 max - it is a mystery to me.

I'm not sure about Rotorua yet alehouse - I've started doing longish runs but the rest of the week is empty apart from walking and the occasional 5 km run. I'm going to wait and see - they have a half marathon now so might do that.
  • NZC: I don't think mine shows my age or performance but think Mick's does.My VO2 max is 38 at the moment but to be honest I take it with a pinch of salt.

Ale glad to see you up and around and I imagine PT is empty.

Mick: Hope those socks arrive soon for you.

Mr P had the vaccine on Wednesday and apart from an aching shoulder he has been fine and he also had the AZ one.

No run yesterday and spoke to Asthma nurse we have quadrippled the meds and see how I get on it is the cold air and early tree pollen which is causing all the problems.I am up and ready but we have ice so will leave run till 10am.

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick
    I wouldn't worry about our small pool sample :)
    The consequences of not having the jab are potentially much greater than any short term reaction
    Hope your socks arrive before the snow goes!  Looks like you may need some doubles to put pressure on the leader.

alehouse
    I do think your current malaise is entirely unconnected to your jab!!
    It's  a funny ol' game is cricket............

Dave
    I have heard of more short term reactions to the Astra jab than the Pfizer one - which is what I had.
    Running on grass indeed - most o fit around here is far too mushy for that.

NZC
    I don't seem to get a fitness age but my VO2 max is 49-51 which is "superior" for my age group and puts me in the top 5%
    VO2 max is a measure of how much oxygen your body can absorb per minute per kilogram of bodyweight at maximum performance and as such is a reflection of your cardiovascular fitness.  The higher the number the better :)
    Yours looks a little low for your undoubted ability but your grading by age is a good guide.

Must admit I rarely look at it!!

Welshpoppy
    Hope the change in meds does the trick - that's a big increase

I didin't get caught out this morning and headed out in base layer and tee shirt as it was -1C but lovely and sunny.
    3.1 miles in 29:30 (9:44m/m) was a bit better but I still feel I am running on tired legs from beginning to end
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    NZC,
    VO2 max is a strong indicator of your cardio fitness and what you are potentially capable of doing. 
    Here is Garmin's view of the world.

Here is todays after my run.

It varies a bit between 43 and 46.
    In my early 60s I had a fitness test done by a lab and they measured it at 54 so I have declined a fair bit in the last 10 years but still ok by Garmin's standard.

I ran with the boys today, 8k in a snow storm. I wore my SealSkinz for the first time, very comfy and my feet did not get wet despite being covered in snow for most of the run.

Mick

• Mick:A great table and well done on your score and %.
    Mine at the moment is 38 but usually 41% when training .
    Glad the socks are helping with wet feet.

Torque:Hope the legs enjoyed the rest  and feel better today.

Dave: Did you go long yesterday?

I actually ran just 2.4 miles kept it easy okay running but once finished I had a coughing episode so taking ventolin with me today to use when I finish.I imagine maybe 3 miles.The snow moon is out and he looks lovely.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Mick - couple of decent outings there - socks sound good - presume knee ok on the latest run?

TS - better timing; well done - sorry legs still tired, though . . .   

WP - nicely bagged 2.4 - I suppose its too early yet to judge effect (if any) of increased meds?  

I was up early today, but had forgotten about snow moon, WP!  Was light when I left home at 7:30.  Went "long" today - faffed badly yesterday, eventually heading out at 5pm for a short trot, but abandoned at 1 mile - legs & mind & body (snacking all afternoon) weren't having it.  So today drove (car needed scraping) to exercise - other side of city, so, imo, within local area :)  Loops of the lake (started about 8am, 2C, grass covered in frost, very bright) for 11.25 miles. Happy enough with this, after the 13.1 last week - I did consider making it up to 12, but legs were complaining, so I called a halt  . .  like TS, base layer, but long sleeved top & gloves (though fair bit warmer when I'd done)  

Home, hosed and feet up in time for the Foxes game - looks like injuries have caught up with your boys, alehouse?  

Dave
  • Dave well done on an epic run today:-) you are lucky you can drive to a location we have to exercise from front door!

I had to come back as slippery and went out at 1pm bad move sun was blazing and i hate the sun I had to put sunscreen on! the world and his wife out in large groups so not pleasant at all canned it dead on 2 miles.
    Asthma still a royal pain and no improvement as yet.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    Knee doing fine thanks, no need for support on today's run. I have never been an evening runner, even at my fastest, evening races were always slower than expected. 11 miles is a goodly distance well done.

WP,
    I have to thank you for the Sealskinz suggestion. I had to wear them again today and they got wet but I didn't.
    I really enjoy the winter sunshine and by spring I usually have a tan. Crowds around here just do not happen unless you are in the centre of Ottawa in the middle of tourist season. 
    Good luck with the asthma, all the people I know who suffer from it have trouble managing it. It seems things work for a while and then you have to find another approach.

6.1k done on a warm day 1c, so lots of melting snow and puddles.

Mick
  • Mick - think most who post on here would have an excellent score.

Birch - well done on the long run - what are you training for? Are you going to do a virtual London marathon?

I got lucky and got a Cornwall Parkrun in before we got locked down again! 27.43 AG 80.34% Happy to be over the 80 mark though missed W70 Cornwall Park record by 1 second - I must forget about the "finish with dignity" idea.

So now on 7 day lockdown because someone didn't obey the rules so 12km done yesterday as no club people to run with. Walked 9 km with my husband today.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    not training for anything in particular, NZC - certainly not a marathon  (virtual or otherwise) - my swansong marathon was 6 years ago, London 2015, at age 60.  Last year was mostly a battle back after knee/quad issues, and for a long period I was just doing 3 or 4 mile runs, but when things started to look up, I set a goal of reaching 12 miles by Christmas, which I achieved. This year I've recorded 6 x 11 milers, plus a 12 and a 13(.1)  
     I really ought to set a proper schedule, as, like you mentioned, I seem to be doing 3 & 4 milers only during the week, then the "long" one on a weekend.  I have a vague idea of a half marathon in the Autumn (assuming events will be taking place), but only if I can race it i.e. try "hard" for the distance - I would see no point in plodding around at my training pace.  

great stuff retaining 80% AG, Christine - record next time, we hope !   Purely in AG terms, I will have declined a lot - in the aforementioned 2015, my HM was 79.nn%, and marathon 76.nn%, but my most recent "full on" effort was a parkrun in Sept 2019, which from memory was around 68%  . . . .     your weekend of running, and a walk with your husband sounds good!   

another few k's bagged for Mick, I see - and conditions no doubt meaning more work for the sealskinz  . . . .   

WP - top marks for perseverance - and for using sunscreen in February !  . . .   and 2 miles is double what I managed on Friday :)  

Dave
  • Mick: I am just glad they work for you as I am sure they make a difference not nice having cold and wet feet with all your snow.I bet you will need to stock up on the Sealskinz.
    My Asthma is normally well controlled most of the time and don't give me much issues so this a is a huge difference for me but it did improve a little yesterday.I reached 400 but this morning 370.
    That is the problem here not enough green space and too many people.

Dave:Is it a rest day today for you?

I managed to get out at 7am no sunscreen needed but hat, gloves sealskinz were needed 1 degree and my body said let us run the hills!! so off we go no idea how it will go but I managed 3.5 miles and the fastest I have run the hills in ages. I will have to check my log.The first mile is all uphill and usually 12's or even 13's today beginning of the 11's-I may have to rest on my laurels as doubt I will be that fast tomorrow :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    that's great, WP -  excellent start to the month :) 

yes, rest day, as longer run was deferred until yesterday, legs feel in need. It has been grey and dank all day here . . .    just 3.5C according to car temp gauge earlier.   

Dave
  • Dave: I thought Long run was a day later than normal. Oh what a shame although similar temps the sky is blue .

I checked my log I had to go back to August last year and before that February 2020.I so hope it stays around this time. ;)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    A snow storm yesterday so I took a rest day. I woke up to high winds with a windchill of -26c so off to the man cave I went.
    A comfortable 5k row in 23 mins with the lowest HR yet.

Mick
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Not a lot to report here apart from still feeling ill. Have been light headed and off balance for over three weeks. GP no longer thinks that it is vertigo; off for a battery of tests shortly. 

Particularly well done on the 80% NZC!

TS: hope you are ok! Not seen you this month!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    So, saw a Professor of Cardiology yesterday evening! He listened to my heart and I had an ECG. All sound. However blood pressure was most erratic. He is as sure as he can be that the vaccine on top of the general anaesthetic has caused an irritable heart muscle. Would affect hardly anyone else like this you will be pleased to hear! 

More tests over the next week then see him again next Tuesday. 

Will be at least Easter before I have fully recovered, from what he said. Running is out of the question of course for several more weeks.

Probably never had vertigo although the symptoms are similar.

Overall positive news in that there is a clearer idea of the issue and that the issue appears to be temporary. Could do without it though! 

GP has already phoned this morning and she is pleased. Could have been worse.

Hope to walk at least a km later!

TS?
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    glad to hear you are upbeat, alehouse - with reasons to be so 👍 
  • That sounds like good new on the whole Ale.

No run yesterday had a rest day as tired.Today I ran 4.7 miles over the hills and again fastest in a long time so pretty pleased but feeling a little wiped out by it.
    PF slowly climbing we had 370 this morning.

Torque: Hope all is okay??
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Hi all

Dave
    well done on keeping the long run going. Are you still at the same pace or is it getting a little faster?

NZC
    excellent getting above 80% AG - great achievement.
    Not so good on your temporary lockdown

MIck
    good to see you are getting use out of the Sealskins so soon :)

Welshpoppy
    sounds as if your asthma is settling down a bit - hope so. Although galloping over mountains definitely sounds like an improvement

alehouse
    cor blimey - you are in the wars!! Hopefully that will clear up the vertigo symptoms as that can be a long lasting problem and then concentrate on the rest.  Sounds like you got some decent medical care as well which is always good to hear.

Moi............  well some extreme gardening on Saturday (tree pruning mainly) involving standing on, or climbing up and down, ladders for several hours left me with knackered legs - and body as cutting 4" diameter branches by hand while balanced on ladders - so on Sunday my body wasn't having nay of this running lark which was a pity as the weather was glorious.

So I shambled back home and then spent another day doing the same as the day before so when Monday came I was even more knackered so another no run day.
    Ditto Tuesday
    Ditto Wednesday :/

Knees and body nearly restored to what passes for normal nowadays.

Saturday was interrupted by watching the rugby - Wales finding a way to win with 16 men after two games against 14 ;)

I was less upset about the first try as I scored a similar one once when, after being tackled near the touchline the tackler played the ball while on the  ground. Penalty!
    All the opposition players trooped off under the posts to await the kick, the ref blew his whistle and I just kicked the ball up into my hands as I hadn't indicated a kick at goal and zoomed the 25 yards to the try line before the opposition had moved :)
    Cue much muttering................

That rounded off a pretty terrible February - 52 miles covered compared to January's 110 miles.  Ahh well - at least I am not alehouse, yet!!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    maybe every other day is the way to go, for now, WP :)  

TS - that gardening work does sound like an extreme workout !!  

not a rugby man, but I'd heard there was controversy - and nice of WP not to mention the result  ;)  

speaking of controversy - 4th Test tomorrow  . . . .   

3 miles easy today.

Dave
  • Dave
    ....  but will they get to 200? (they = England)  :/!

I have come to the conclusion that I am getting too old for this gardening work - or my muscles have forgotten how to do do it !

In the olden days I used to play rugby on a Saturday and football on a Sunday - so the bits that weren't aching on a Saturday night were nicely worked over on the Sunday.

It was nice of WP not to mention the rugby................  so far :)

I followed your lead, in part, and did 2 miles easy early this morning - except my body had forgotten how to run so it wasn't easy.
    An interesting aside as I ran down the long downhill path in the park the temperature dropped rapidly where the heavier, cold air had slipped down the hill overnight - it even spurred me on to get back up the hill!
  • I could have mentioned the rugby but decided not to rub salt in the wounds needless to say we were happy with result and winning the triple crown :) .But not happy over all the bad feelings towards English players on social media  and jibes over try's it is what it is and the luck even's out of the season.

Dave: Great job on easy run :)

Torque: Gardening is deadly to runners! get a man in to do all the hard stuff.Well done on run.

Well you know me it is all easy running ButMonday, Wednesday and today are all hard work as running fast each run and each run longer and wee bit faster with more hills.Today 5.3 miles and the fastest since 2019!!It is my silly body wanting to run faster and I am along for the ride!

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • ........ just made it  :/!!  205

WP
    I'll have you know I am a man :)
    I do believe the scales of good fortune have been slightly tipped by some helpings of leek - and the 6 Nations doesn't allow time for a rebalancing act

Running fast - now that is a novel concept! Well done on time and distance - you must have got your meds in balance again?
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon! 

I guess today's run represents an improvement, TS! And am slightly jealous, not that I am thinking about running at present, apart from that I have gone from 50k a week to being able to walk a km with a stick...and leave me nigh on exhausted!

Anyway, slow is the new fast. Or that is what I keep telling WP

Meant to say about the rugby and football officials' decisions which no doubt JB in particular will be displeased about! I am usually on the side of the officials having refereed school football (up to area level, eg Manchester v Liverpool) for too many years. With a free kick the advantage is to the side sinned against. Before a game I would usually brief the captains that they could take free kicks immediately and didn't have to wait for the whistle unless I told them otherwise. Could be a very expensive mistake for Brighton. Let's hope that that decision doesn't affect the end of season standings. 

And England were awful...both rugby and cricket-wise! Doubt that 205 is enough!

Oh, echocardiogram completed yesterday and am now wearing an ECG monitor until next Tuesday. All fun and am learning a lot!