Sub 3

Comments

• RJR - There are pros and cons, I do 12 hour shifts but only 12 of them per month. Easier in some senses than Mon-Fri, though can be hard getting moving after night shifts. 

Wardi - 16h shifts sound grim! No time for a run after that. I’ve just written my mara training plan around my rota, there are occasions when I’ll have to get out for double figures after a 4am get up and 12h shift. 

TR - thanks, always good to know what to expect. Fingers crossed for a cool and still day. 

5m recovery before work 
  • JH - yes hadn't thought of it that way. pros and cons as you say.
    Jools - yes I thought it was a one off for 2021 with multiple years being combined into one but appears it will be carrying on. Guess its a numbers game and there's just more running the time/ running marathons these days.
    Wardi - Those coffee and biscuits types are crazy in my book. I'm a cereal guy a few hours pre run. some people convert much better than others. I'm not sure I'm fast twitch or slow twitch, probably somewhere in the middle. Nice run today.
    TR - any thoughts of a complete rest day? hopefully legs back on it soon. Yeah no build up races is a bit tricky but the MP runs are definitely an effort.

a good 8 miles today with some strides. Signed up for peterborough today and a hotel booked too. both would be a novelty. 11 weeks to go (I think)
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    JH very promising 10K TT.
    I’ve done Brighton 5 times & had 4 PBs on the trot.
    I was with TR in 2019 for a wee while but had a nightmare run that day so I too have some demons to lay to rest in September  As he says few lumps in the 1st half but flat (& exposed) in the 2nd. Get yourself a Withdean start if you can - needed a recent sub 90 HM or sub 3:15 Mara. Takes the 1st lump out of the equation & ensures a slightly DH gradient for the first couple of miles.
    It’s a numbers game Joolska: their interpretation of equality is to offer the same number of places to both men & women. I agree WAVA% cut-offs would be more meaningful & fairer. 
    More than decent (not)parkrun time CC2
    Hopefully your foot appreciated the rest day OO.
    Consistent as ever Wardi.
    Me too TR. I did 9.7 yesterday & 10.7 today so that puts us level for the week. Kept the HR low so both my runs were slooow. Today’s was glacial but then it did have 2 monster climbs. March nEverest has begun😆
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    JH - dont hold yr breath, i have a track record of bad weather!

Joe - well done re Peterborough, good to keep the race focus. I dont like rest days, the old body needs to keep moving. That cv isolation set me back for ages.

Well done jools, still making those legs steely.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    So, just the 6m easy instead of 10m last night, due to feeling so wrecked and wanting to visit my dad afterwards (distanced chat from driveway) as it was his birthday. Approached the 6m tempo today with the same give it a mile and decide approach as last wk, which is always the slowest mile due to the amount of uphill, got rolling a bit and managed 39.52 (so 40.52, 40:18, 39:52), around 40 was where i hovered before Abo 2019, so happy days. This could be a long year with a lot of maras so i need to have a think about more easy short days at times.
  • TR - you're not wrong. if you can deliver on even half of those marathons this year it would be impressive. solid progress on those runs, worth the step back yesterday.

11.5 miles this morning for me out the door at 7. not a good morning runner but really enjoyed the foggy country lanes.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Cheers Joolska, I'm learning not to be too hard on myself and I know what to do to get back going again so that is a positive. I think you are building a very nice base, and have been for a while now. 

I hadn't seen the animation TR, if you are referring to the one on the WHO YouTube channel with over 10m views? Just watched it. Some good messaging throughout. The one I most connect with is the fact that exercise can relieve stress and anxiety, which most of us know. But what if you can't get out of the door, even though you know it will make you feel better? When I feel low, this is exactly what happens. I'm sure it happens to millions of others too. I find that the most frustrating. I sometimes can't face the very thing that balances me out. Too often the release mechanisms are ignored or forgotten. It's a constant battle to remember the tiggers and the solutions. As you say Wardi - keep on running is the ticket. Needless to say, I'm getting more sleep, am reading more and am getting out the door more.

OO, thanks. May 9th will soon come around. Nice to have a focus again though?  

CC2 - In decent shape then off the back of the parkrun effort and bodes well for a decent autumn when we can hopefully all toe the line once again. 

Jooligan - you and TR are still smashing the miles. I note the climbing too. You must be in great shape just now. I can't wait to get back on the hills as I am convinced I got a lot out of them last year. I think a midweek hilly run will suit just fine. 

RJR - some effort that last Sunday. Very impressive indeed. Ooo a race entry.... Ooooo a hotel booked :) 

JH - Nice that the club have got some virtual stuff going to keep you interested and a rapid time considering the lay off. 

TR - Nice place to be then with the time trial time going in the right direction. I imagine you have quite a few races with all the deferrals. I still have a voucher with the racing track people. I hadn't thought to look since the cancellation. Might be something as an interim target. I think I'm London-bound but probably should have gotten a Manchester place as a local back-up a week later. I opted not to as Manchester falls a week outside the GFA eligibility. 

No running to report of note but I can confirm I am putting one foot in front of the other  o:)
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Anyone know if the new men's champ start qualifying time of sub 2:40 is permanent, or just a temporary measure for the current circumstances?
    SJ.. that's the spirit.  I can't remember who said it but if I'm a bit 'meh' about a run I remember the mantra 'no one was ever sorry for going out for a run'.  I always feel better and pleased with myself afterwards.
    JH87.. I was in my 20's when I did 16 hour shifts so I could cope with the odd one.  I remember a couple of Sunday 6am-10pm stints which did drag on but I kept telling myself 'this is double time'.  My wage packet was a lot fatter in weeks like that. :)
    TR.. bravo, that's a great short progression to get back to sub 40.  Agree re. daily/regular runs.  At my age I like to keep moving even if I do get the odd slow day.
    Joe.. Nice early miles, I quite enjoy misty morning runs, apart from anything it means no wind!

8m+4.3m today.  Legs were tired/groaning this morning so pace a bit pedestrian.  I was passed by two very swift ladies who I am fairly sure were from the Team GB Tri camp in Leeds.  Didn't get above 2-3 degrees here today, 13 in Exeter apparently!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good going with the mlr joe

SJ - thats it, i was shown it on a  course. Just get outside when you can, i have a (non) black dog waiting for me at 6am every morning, so that helps with getting outside. Run when you feel like it......probably wise to get  gfa somewhere along the way before vlm.........i have something like 5 races which deferred over to 2022, a few 10ks rolled over to this summer and about 6 deferred mara entries for this year. There are some clashes, so will pick and choose.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A plodtastic, no-energy 7 miler yesterday, and then a spritely 10 miles this morning.  Not quite sure why I felt quite so drained and awful yesterday, but at least whatever the issue was has been and gone!
  • RJR - good early run. I’m not a fan of really early starts either, prefer to have time for breakfast and a coffee before a run 

SJ - 1 foot in front of the other is a start!

Wardi - yeah sometimes good to take it when it’s on offer. Whenever I do overtime it comes in the form of an extra 12 hour shift so quite lucrative. 
    Nice double yesterday. 

2 hours on the turbo trainer then a base pace 10k run today. Temperature have plummeted but still 4 degrees here
  • Joolska - funny you get days like that. Sometimes no real reason behind it 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice indoor/outdoor combo JH87. Around 4-5 degrees here too and I was grateful for the double layers I had decided on when the northerly wind picked up!
    Similar here Jools, just over 10m done and I did feel a bit more fleet of foot than yesterday.
  • Wardi - surely when you're passed like that you burn it down the road just to show off and then hide behind a tree? Good mileage going on at your end.
    JH - what is base pace? something like tempo?
    Jools - you are still getting out there so thats something!
    SJ - putting one foot in front of the other is a reasonable way to describe running :) an actual race prospect does make me feel a bit giddy.

Gloves back on. 9.5 miles nice and easy.
  • CC2 - Speedy GothCC2 - Speedy Goth ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    I read my schedule for tonight and thought there was no way I could do it, I was so tired. Work is ridiculous right now. I had to force myself out of the door. Then found myself comfortably running 15 secs per mile faster than scheduled. Left to my own devices I'd have done a steady plod or nothing at all. Clearly this is why I need a coach! He knows my capabilities better than I do already.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all. It has been ages since I posted as things have been hectic, and then some!

CC2 - great with the 15s per mile faster than scheduled. How're you finding the coachee experience overall?

sj - I can empathise as I have had some considerable black dog moments over the last while. <3 I hope you're feeling better and it's good that you can talk about it as that will help. If you ever need an ear feel free to drop me a line.

Hopefully you're all training well!

In typical me style the day I got 'released' from isolation (12th Jan) I hurt my ribs. I didn't think too much of it and soldiered through an 8m run but knew all about it by the next day. I had no real choice but to grit my teeth and suck it up for the house move, which essentially turned what might have been a few days off into weeks off running, plus lots of chiropractic treatment.

Since then I've been up to my eyeballs in dodgy diy (including some very very dodgy electrics - think perished electrical insulation wrapped around a metal coat hook for a light!), and changing fibro meds (long story). Things are looking really really good right now and I'm slowly rebuilding mileage. I've even felt strong enough to start an old school Lydiard approach which is going fantastically.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    JH - 2hr turbo and 10k run is a solid day, makes for a tough 10k too.

Wardi, jools - i have plenty of heavy legged days too.

CC - accountability, also your coach will get you to do what you need to do and not what you like to do.

TT - the usual TT rollercoaster ride through life then !

Joe - gloves came off? Not round here.

10m home last night, 8m back this morning. Few frothies later then some sort of long run tomorrow.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Oh yes......2 highlights yday, saw an owl flying when i was running as it wasnt quite dark yet, only seen a silhouette in the dark before as one flew past......skimmed the Joan B S interview on Marathontalk, she literally said it was never rocket science, a long run, a medium long run inc effort and some sort of short race or session each week plus easy fillers.......the owl was the best though.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. Good commuting miles and decent bird spotting too!
    TT.. Great to see you on the up again, hopefully no interruptions or incidents this time. :)  BTW I had an electrician friend here today - he always has a few 'bodge job' tales to tell.
    CC2.. bravo, always a nice surprise when an unexpected good run happens.  I remember turning up at Parkrun after 17m, fish and chips and a few beers the previous day.  Turned out to be my fastest run for months!

2 x 4m today, will do a double digit run over the weekend.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    5.5m, 10m mp, 5.5m for 21m. The 5.5m was to get me past the hilly bits and get to the flatter lanes. Found the mp tough, but ive been pretty smoked and it was a breezy day. The mp came out 6.40s which was the aim but it wasnt a constant pace or effort due to the breeze. The 5.5m home was a trudge but onwards and upwards.

76 for the week, so a bit less than the last few weeks.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    TR - Another really good long run banked. Good to hit MP when not feeling 100% but as you know that's what marathon training is all about. 
    CC2 - Always a relief/ positive when your run shows your in better shape, than what you would have thought.
    TT - with an unbroken run you would be dangerous. :smile:
    Similar to CC2 run did 9m inc 10k in 37.50 which was a big surprise as only been plodding the past month with only a few speedier miles. The 1st mile came out 6.10 so just kept to that pace.  Felt uncomfortably comfortable. Lovely morning for running here. 18m in the hills tomorrow. 

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Great stuff on tired legs TR, shame you didn't have our conditions today - calmer than a millpond with vertical windsocks on view.  Still a decent weekly total racked up, a beer or two definitely deserved after that.
    OO.. that 10k section was a pleasant surprise and very impressive!  Enjoy the run tomorrow.

4 laps of the racecourse this morning in pleasant conditions, including to & from the car this took me up to 14.3m which is modest progress - last 3 MLR's have been 12, 13 & 14!  A couple of Mexican Coronas beckon.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Nice and calm here, too: sunny but cool, i.e. totally spoilt! 10 miles with 10 X 1 minute @ 5k pace (off 1 minute), 1 mile jog, then 4k @ marathon pace.
  • JackHarris87JackHarris87 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    RJR - just general aerobic heart rate. Bit harder than easy, way less than tempo. I aim for 147-150 for base building periods, I’ve found that doing volume at that effort sets me up well for blocks of harder training. It’s reasonably hilly where I live so I’ve taken to wearing a chest strap HRM and training to HR rather than pace. I’ve made good progress doing that so keeping with it. 

TT - welcome back. Easy does it 

TR - hope the frothies don’t impact your long run too much? I try to avoid it the night before. 

OO - good pace! 

15m with a mate from running club this morning. Not fast, around 7:50 ave, but still just working on getting miles in the legs at the moment. Lovely and sunny. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    OO - thats a sharp 10k for a training run, very nice.

Wardi - yep, i joined you for a few.

Jools - thats a good mixed pace session, lots of folks seem to be doing that sort of session. I like time reps.

JH - decent long run that, ~ 2hrs, so good time on feet. Good point im sure the frothies make a slight difference, but im used to it and its only training.

Tired legs today so just 6m easy.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A steady 17 miles today over a lumpy route to make 55 for the week. Another cold, sunny morning, so rather a delight.
  • Indeed, a warm yellow thing was hovering in the bright blue sky this morning. Somehow it was still long sleeves and gloves weather though. 14 miles, 1000ft of ascent, much quicker than it felt. I thought I was plodding along, but it was 7.34s or something like that. My week day/night easy/recovery runs are 8.30 or slower. I'm not sure where the turn of pace comes from on a Sunday, especially given that Saturdays normally involve hilly tempo followed by hill reps followed by a heavy lifting session. Almost 70 miles for the week and I feel like a runner again. Coach Vince says I'm ready for a race as soon as I can find one that's going ahead. Hopefully a 10k on April 18th.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    All good stuff and promising signs on your pace CC2, just a blast round a Parkrun would do for me as things stand!  Good chunky week of miles from you too.
    Jools.. nice long run, we are wise to make the most of this calm weather.  I think we have some wet/windy stuff arriving mid-week.
    JH87.. I always think of 15 m to be the bridge between a MLR and a long run, as TR says a good length of time on your feet.
    TR.. definitely a well earned easy day, hope those beers went down well last night.

4m + 6.5m today either side of my first covid jab.  No side effects or sore arm yet!  That has taken me up to 71.5m for the week, can't remember the last time I got over 70m.  Double cause for a modest celebration then so the Indian menu is being perused. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Some impressive weekly mileages 70 mpw+ being posted, well done TR, Wardi and CC2.  Hope jab 1 went well Wardi - I was speaking with a client last week who had just been volunteering for a week at a vaccination centre, she said best thing she had done in 20 years, everyone so positive.  
    Nice sounding 15m JH.
    58  for me, with 18m hilly becoming a 5 & 12m double. Now my son is back in school hopefully a chance to add a few further sessions to start ramping-up.  Rest day today but fancy a bike ride whilst the sun is shining. 
  • JH - That sounds very sensible training to heart rate. Nice 15 miler.
    TR - Good spot on the owl. I do keep a look out for them, and often hear them but seeing one is much trickier. That's a big week all the same, crikey!
    Wardi - big week there and the ideal celebration I would say. Not only did we have takeaway curry this week but we also had chicken tikka pasties from the butchers, both were delightful. Congrats on the jab.
    OO - A hilly 18 miler fills me with dread. I suppose i'm glad I don't live in a hilly place nor have entered any hilly races. The sun shining sounds delightful.
    CC2 - There's some obvious strength building going on in there. Heavy lifting and hills are going to have some impact I reckon.

A strange end to the week for me. I had 20 miles to do over 3 days but I was having heart palpitations on Friday. They continued into Saturday morning so the doctor directed me to A&E. ECG came up fine and doctor told me to carry on as normal so I attempted a run yesterday but stopped after 4 miles as my chest felt a little tight. This could all be in my head but something doesn't feel right and it's obviously a scary thought to raise your heart rate when you are worried about the thing. Hoping I have a mystery illness that just disappears of its own accord but safety first at the moment.