Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Fair play for a late one on a Sunday.

Probably the last time in the week I'd want to run, although the early Moz days of doing a hard session on a Friday night figures highly in that :)

The time I thought it wise to smash myself on the track and then go out for a date that night, probably makes it into my top 37 most stupid dating moves.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Solid Sunday fare SG, Bus. ‘‘Twas a glorious weekend indeed.
    First (not)parkrun in 2 months for me yesterday. Scraped under 23 minutes at Woolacombe Dunes then went for an epic tandem ride. My whole body felt trashed this morning but I fancied a go at this week’s club challenge: 30 minutes, max elevation. I managed 3.2 miles & 1188’ by doing Challacombe Hill 2.2 times. Wu & cd brought me to 68M & 7,000’ so nicely on track to Everest again this month.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I much prefer evening runs SG, though the hanging around beforehand can be a bit dull! 

Good week Jools! Being a bit of a control freak, I've never really seen the attraction of tandemming,  but I guess it's one of those things you should never rule out until you've tried! The only person I know doing even more bonkers elevation than you is our lad Mee meep, who finished his Everesting in a week today with 13M and 6,600 ft repping Almshill nr Stonor in the Chilterns 20 times!!! Madness!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    That’s an impressive/mental run/week from MM.
    I prefer running a bit later in the day too though I do get twitchy if I wait too long.
    Good thing about the tandem - almost 5 hrs of exercise in the sun with the OH. She doesn’t get dropped, I don’t have to hold back.We did 54 miles of N Devon roads & lanes so after a flat 7.5M to warm-up it was constant undulations. Fair play to her for keeping going as she’s not a habitual cyclist. 
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

I know what you mean about the bingo etc from club running, SG. But as you say, whatever gets people out there. You can take or leave it. 

Strong pace with that kind of off road ascent, Bus. Certainly good with the trails in better shape. 

SC - 30 x 200 sounds Zatopek big! Good session though and I like the varied rests. 

I gather Woolacombe is a really tough one, Jools. My neighbour did it with a buggy - must be mad. 

As for tandeming - perfect for a control freak, as long as you are on the front!

A big week of running in the end: 72M including two sessions and a long run. Easily the biggest week since August - just seemed to enjoy the miles. Although tired by yesterday...

15.5 buggy miles on Saturday lunch time at 7:36 pace. Then a very cruisey 6M up on the hill yesterday morning, something like 9m/m. More glorious views. Although as I felt like I wanted to stop about a mile from the car, this was a sign that enough was enough. Playing in the park in the afternoon was a struggle. No having to fake losing races against the kids. 

Working from, er, work again today. Great to be back. Will try to fit in some running later today.

• SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Good mileage SQ, Good with a buggy!

Good session SG, Some lovely sounding Sunday runs out there too with lots of ascent..

Did a Herne Hill set session on Saturday, was going to do hills so ran over there with the kid to meet the missus in the car..but felt like I needed a pit stop, so went back home with them and did 10 x 2mins around the country lanes..did a couple extra to get up to 10k. Felt nice.

17.7 yesterday in 6.55's up to Dunstable and back, pretty high there too, highest bit of housing estate is 185m ASL. Took me up to 78 for the week. 77 last week, so hopefully will see a bit of improvement. 

Training will change a bit as I'll be running to school with the boy and running after.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    15.5 at 7.36 with buggy?! That's going some isn't it?

I chat with MeeMeep quite regularly, and those elevations he's doing are really something else.
    That one Bus mentions isn't far off that Murder Mile elevation, but for 13times the distance. Legs must be shot after that!

M OFF work then, as I still churn through the furlough holiday backlog, and nothing more wild than a late wakeup, and a 10miler.

7.20 pace, threw a steep bank climb in midway. Probably only about 0.20-0.25mile job, but has to be about 150 feet worth. Easier now it's hard baked, when it was muddy it was a nightmare, but at its slowest probably the sort of pace MeeMeep was putting in for his 13miler.

It leads into another more gentle climb, but it certainly adds some variety midway.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SC -  saw your fb memory hop today about some race a year ago.
    That must have been dead on the last race before the world shut down mustn't it?
    I remember the Bath half got a lot of ire for pressing on with theirs, maybe the week after?

Jools - I'm probably the same with times of runs in one way - I get it done early as that's the best way to bank it on a working day, or when I have to be somewhere for a certain time.
    But like today, if I have the day off, I end up delaying, and taking ages, and all of a sudden it's 1pm and you've basically run and that's it.

In fairness, if I ran at 7am today, I'd have probably ended up sleeping the day away until midday anyway!
    It's like Bus says, on a working day you can soak up any type of run, but when you have nothing in particular to do it's very easy to sleep it off.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Yes SG, that was it. Remember not shaking hands at the venue and hand sanitising on the train, etc. Thank God we have done a year since at least.

Some race?? That was the V45 British masters 1500m I'll have you know ;)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Whoops, was just scrolling SC :)

Have you heard anything about the more humble Masters, the May one?
    I'm sure we have to take it that the 12 stage is binned for another year, but I would have thought the Masters had some sort of chance?
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Early morning job for me today and that hamstring niggle was even more niggly! Led to more of a shuffle than a run and, as is often the case with hamstring problems, is pretty sore sitting down!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Those hamstrings can be a menace can't they.
    It's funny, these days I probably only do a min or two of cursory stretching, rather than the higher amounts of the past. Half necessity of less time available, and half not always feeling like it's needed. Funny how views change.

9 today, 7.18 average. Up to Holtspur, then through to the back, and down a hill to a road parallel to the nature reserve, then through a new footpath and back.

Postponed the "harder" session to tomorrow due to feeling slightly coldy and having done a 10 yesterday. Not that there's much odds between 9s and 10s in fairness, but the former made it sensible.

Will consider just a standard steady or progression type effort, rather than the threshold type jobs. Then a proper track sesh Friday.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I only do minimal stretching as part of a more general pilates based session for my back issue. Funnily enough, more targeted, but much less intensive stretching has coincided (if coincidence it be!) with probably my longest period of being injury free (taking that blackthorn stabbing out of the equation!).

When you go for a long time without injury though, you tend to forget they can easily happen and sometimes pretty innocuously!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Very true. Something can come on very quickly, then take ages disappearing off.

While we all know it's good to "try new stuff" with training etc, I'm also very much of the better the devil you know approach with other stuff - like the time I tried some pilates, did too much, and locked my hamstrings up for 6months :D 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I get slightly tight hammys towards the end of marathon build up, in my opinion its a juggle of rolling and masssage ball that works better than too much s and c or stretching which i find tend to annoy the hammys more.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    SG - Nothing about the masters relays yet. Sutton Pk would spit me out on current form.

Did the old 2-4-6-8-1k-2k-1k-8-6-4-2 on the track yesterday. started with 45 secs recovery, then up to 60 sevs then 90 secs. Legs felt a bit jelly on the longer reps.

Somehow might have picked up a slight cold/sniffle. Although having been vaccinated against Covid, I'm presuming it's not less severe C-19?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Can't beat a pyramid SC - always seems a great sesh to slot in here and there.
    Confusing last sentence with the double negative :) Am sure it'll be the low level stuff we battle 10-15 times a year and normally can run through.

Base sort of sesh today, fairly moderate, but plenty in the wind and rain I have to say!

2miles warmup, then 6.5miles pretty much steady (as in in between mp and easy), with a bit of a ramp up late doors.

Having said that, looking at the splits, it's actually a perfect and not necessarily intended progression run :D 

6.06 (half mile)

Will get shifting into something a bit faster Friday though. Either some more 1k reps, or even a pyramid.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Vets relays at Sutton Park is now provisionally 4th September according to the British Masters website. Cross country relays 30th October, Long Eaton.

Fixtures - BMAF - British Masters Athletic Federation
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Good run SG - Yep hopefully nothing too severe.

Cheers Ale - Hopefully the SP event will go ahead. Week before New Order at Heaton Pk. If that happens (praying)..
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good work Aley - I read your post on my phone to start with, and didn't realise that was a clickable link until now back on a laptop.

Glad they've not lost the masters event, I'm already expecting it to be harder now I'm mid age group :D 
    Last time I hadn't hit 36, so was at the cheeky end of the age range. 

I remember on the bleakest part of the course in the middle, being a bit disturbed that I couldn't catch what looked to be a 60+ year old ahead, before finding out he was the oldest looking 43/44 year old in the world, who also had about a 72/73min recent half :)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Tough pyramid Simon and nice (accidental) progression SG! Road for me today, which was rather wet, blustery and wholly without purpose other than to get 8M done!  I threw in a short segment I know toward the end, which is flattish, but with a sharp 180 degree turn at the end. I'm happy enough with my 5:48 pace, but not so happy to see that only gave me 3rd overall with the top one a blistering 4:48 (relatively blistering, for such a local segment!!!)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Had a look at that seg Bus. Odd little one. Smooth, but not only that sharp turn you mention, but a blind bend. A quiet road maybe, but time that one badly and you're in a car.

The guy in second you should be able to beat though, when fresh. I took a couple of segs off him that were about 6.55 pace for 0.18miles. Behave :)
    That was one of the ones I had a seg battle with a local fella, before I've put it down to a pace that would need so silly an effort for the benefit required and the obscureness of location, that it'll probably stand for ages.

Oddly, the same guy, holds a seg that I think will stand for ever. It's "Only" about low 6.20 or so for 1/2 mile, but it's offroad, has steps, both sensible onces and really dangerous woody slippery ones, has branches to avoid, and I'm quite amazed how the bloke managed to get it off to be honest.
    He must have done it in solid footing in the summer for one thing.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I was just looking at some of the other segs as well. A local runner took several in one run, when he did a 4M at average 5:21 pace. Except his 5k PB is 22 minutes and his 10k is 50!

As for that one today, almost zero traffic and you can see the road you turn onto the whole way round. It was slightly slippery on the turn in the wet though!

Bloody hamstring is on fire this afternoon after sitting through a 2 hour meeting!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Will take a look.
    Just realised none of my runs have sync'd up since Friday. Best upload them manually. Not the dreaded literal "Manual" option, but force them through from the files :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Checked about 7 of those segs Bus and can't find which one you mean.

There's a guy called Goodall, but he's top quality, 6miles at about 5.17 with a 15min 5k and 31min 10k!
  • Stevie G said:
    Checked about 7 of those segs Bus and can't find which one you mean.

There's a guy called Goodall, but he's top quality, 6miles at about 5.17 with a 15min 5k and 31min 10k!
    yes, Alex is a good runner. I've watched him win a lot of races as he did the same cross country fixtures as a junior that I did as a senior so he'd be racing as I'd be warming up he just looks to glide along with no effort at all.

The other chap is your typical tri wanker. GB vest because you are in the top 100 in your age group (and there are only 50 in the race anyway) and can spend the money on a bike. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    He's pretty quick though to be fair Philip!

It wasn't either of these two though. His crown has disappeared, probably because, being a strava wanker, I flagged the run he took all the segs on :smiley:  It's for his own good!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Blooming heck Phil :D 

There was me stewing as some guy has nicked a seg off me (well, 2 as i didn't realise there were 2 on the same bit) and weighing up whether raging about it is an apt use of a man of my age's time...

Then I pop in here and see you slandering some poor guy by name and photo :D 

I hope we don't have another "Hatfield 5" situation ;)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    ps I had a look at seg guy's fb profile and accidentally must have sent a friend request as I was a bit surprised to see he had accepted!!
    That's embarrassing. But quickly deleted and ahem we move on.

Doh!!!

Let's move these pages on quick smart!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    The Bus said:
    He's pretty quick though to be fair Philip!

It wasn't either of these two though. His crown has disappeared, probably because, being a strava wanker, I flagged the run he took all the segs on :smiley:  It's for his own good!

Yep, he's not your classic, not even in the top 20 fastest in a small running club yet giving it loads about "representing GB", for something involving running, this guy can roll.
    Some of his hill segs are quality, that seems to be his strength, and I've seen him pop up across town.