Newbie here getting back into the run of things.

Hi there everyone. I hope your all well and coping with the last- we all hope- of the lockdown.
I'm relatively new here after taking a few years off from the fitness world-BIG MISTAKE!!
Been a few years since I've run or done any proper exercise so I'm having to start myself on HIIT type running, for now, to get me going. I hadn't realised how unfit I had become which is a shame, hence the server need for change. Just managing to hit the one minute mark after a few weeks of running the 30 sec mark!!!
Is there anything you guys can recommend apart from sticking to it and a proper diet? I'm managing at least 4 times a week but would like it to be a most days of the week kind of thing.

Again, hope your all well and your week is going well for you!!

Dibzy

Comments

• GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Hi dibzy123 and welcome.

It sounds as if you're doing exactly the right thing at the moment. I'm assuming the 4 times a week is a run/rest cycle, which is eminently sensible when first starting out. Most issue will occur when those new to running try to do too much too soon and end up getting injured. So building up slowly is absolutely key. You'll find that as you gain more aerobic endurance you'll be able to run for longer and then faster.

Good luck and please let us know how you're getting on.
  • Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm aiming for Monday and Tuesday, Thursday and Friday sessions all around an hour/hour 20 max-depending on how I'm feeling by cool downstage, sometimes I need to cool off for a little longer.
    The Fridays are still feeling pretty hardcore but i can defiantly see improvment.
    Hope your good.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Hi dibzy123 - I'd suggest throwing in some shorter recovery type runs in there of about 30 mins. 60-80 mins on consecutive days when you're first starting out may lead to some problems.

And good here thanks. Just coming back from an achilles issue which is a bit frustrating as I'm nowhere near where I was last year. But it's all the joy of running.