Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Oh wow! I love Bianchi bikes and that is an absolute beauty!! Great choice.

Enjoy it, MsE, much deserved treat after recent tough times.
  • I wonder what it says about us that I used my inheritance to buy a bathroom and MsE used hers to buy a bike...
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Well it seems asking Qs about it on bike forums encourages the trolls and abuse. One message left me in tears. Are cyclists really such horrible people?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MsE, just to jump in, really sorry to hear about the trolls :(  Without knowing anything about what was said to you, was it partly to do with jealousy about your bike?  If it was down to that, try and ignore the idiots and enjoy the bike! 

As a matter of interest, have you already got it, or do you need to wait for it to be delivered?  I'm looking around for a specific bike, but I can't get hold of it.  I think cycling has massively increased in popularity over the pandemic.  My current bike needs a service and I even struggled to get get that done as everywhere is fully booked.

Anyway, sorry again that you were trolled, but try and ignore them.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Big_G said:
    MsE, just to jump in, really sorry to hear about the trolls :(  Without knowing anything about what was said to you, was it partly to do with jealousy about your bike?  If it was down to that, try and ignore the idiots and enjoy the bike! 

As a matter of interest, have you already got it, or do you need to wait for it to be delivered?  I'm looking around for a specific bike, but I can't get hold of it.  I think cycling has massively increased in popularity over the pandemic.  My current bike needs a service and I even struggled to get get that done as everywhere is fully booked.

Anyway, sorry again that you were trolled, but try and ignore them.
    Thanks for the advice and yes, of three posts I have made, the one about the bike (not the one about a bike component or mental health) elicited the comments. I have even put a photo on my profile to personalise it so people can recognise they are speaking to an actual person (and reconsider whether they would say that to a female). Will do as you say but it stings the week mum has been cremated. 

It was shown as unavailable so MrE very cleverly contacted the UK main supplier who confirmed they can get it from Italy. I then called my local bike shop to tell them what tI had been told and was able to convince them to take the order and try it (which worked). A lot of shops operate on checking their stocks but, given the lockdown, bike shops have done a roaring trade and can't get hold of much extra stock. But this doesn't mean you can't ask them to place a specific order.  What brand are you after?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MsE, I can imagine it stings :(  Well done on getting hold of the bike though!  I'm looking at a Giant at the moment and have contacted local suppliers but had no joy yet, although I've not contacted the main supplier directly so I may try that.  I know I was quite lucky getting hold of a turbo trainer for using on Zwift as they have been selling like hot cakes too as I think Wiggle's stock went within a day or so.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭

@Big_G

Try:

GIANT UK Ltd.

Phone
    00 44 844 245 9030

Thanks for the empathy. It is worth a million bikes.  :)

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    MsE - sorry to hear that. It’s always the nice people like yourself that get hurt. Your bike looks cool and I’m not really into bikes much. 
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Thanks @GerardM :)

The amount of transference and projection I have seen go on in that cycling forum is on a scale I have never seen on here. Not nice to be the target for it.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    MsE, sorry to hear about the dickheads. I often pick people up about being rude or aggressive on line and question of they'd act in the the same way if we saw each other in the street. 

Anyway, that's a most excellent bike, enjoy it. 

Peak session today with 6m easy, then 6m at mp, 1m easy and 6m at mp followed by 1m cd. 

The key part, which I obviously made up to half distance came in at 1.26.59 and 6.38mm and 154 average bpm. Deliberately kept the 6m efforts at what felt like genuine mp and taking out the easy 1m, probably came in around 6 32mm. There was a lot of wind about as well so not great conditions. Pleased with that and legs feel pretty good now. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    MsE that is an absolute beauty, heritage Bianchi colour, and you will love the Di2. You'll have lots of great adventures on that machine. Don't listen to the breadheads. A tiny minority of people on bikes think it's their job to tell others what to think or wear. This is amplified by social media. Ignore if you can.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Lewis and you have worked so well, DT. You are looking in fantastic form.

Thanks DT and Poacher. The kindness on here is worth a million of those bikes.

I am reminded of when I dabbled in triathlons and felt the online triathlon community was pretty unnecessarily hostile at times. Maybe it is something about bikes and the size of egos that interferes with the focus on the sport in question. It was so off-putting that I returned to just running - such a nice honest sport where you have to lay yourself completely bare to find your limits. It is a lovely community wherever I have been (online and in real life).
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Lovely bike MsE I'm rather jealous. Shocking to hear about the abuse.
    Nice sesh DT. Once I've run more than a couple at easy pace I struggle to pick up the pace like that.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Oo, I have to treat the first part as a warm up as I can't just switch the pace up. So I stop, have a gel, a stretch etc then start again. 

Strange how biking communities spawn a different kind of poster. Yes, it's working for sure. I just do what he instructs. Sometimes people comment to me that they don't see the point of a particular session but my thought process is;

1. Do I trust that Lewis knows the purpose? Yes.
    2. Am I improving? Yes. 

For me thats the extent of the conversation I'm prepared to engage in. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    MsE: my bike knowledge is nil, but it certainly looks snazzy! Sorry you got a load of abuse. It doesn't make me want to cycle.

10 with 6 hill loops for me, although the hill loops were more exposed to the 40mph winds than I would have liked. Still, all about strength and form rather than stressing about speed, which made a nice change. I can feel it in my legs.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    MsE - looks a great bike to me. Hope you get many hours of enjoyment on it. Sorry to hear about all the abuse - it's unbelievable. 
    Good running all round, guys. I took a rest from running yesterday, but did lots of lifting and carrying of furniture from upstairs to downstairs. So I was a bit tentative this morning going out. Did 7 easy miles and was getting a few aches near the end. Still need to take it easy I think.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    The furniture moving probably didn't help, Gul, I'm such a weakling that always leaves me achy!

20 for me @ 8.05s to make 59 for the week. First 20 in about a year, I think!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 20, Jools. I need to register one of those soon.

Take no notice of the cycle dickheads, MsE. Sounds like jealousy to me for such a fine machine. Enjoy it, you deserve it.

Nipped out for a recovery run yesterday. Doing my best to make them proper slow after a wrist slap from MsE on Strava recently  :D and taking inspiration from DT's approach as things are working so well fo him right now 

Out again today for a 5 miler at 6.49 pace to bring up just over 46 for the week. Averaging around 46 for the past 8 weeks and finding some of the paces getting easier.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    MsE - just to express condolences for your loss, and also to echo others re the vitriol - not worth an iota of your energy (but, of course, very hurtful). Enjoy your bike, and hopefully some lovely memories of your Mum as you ride . . . .   
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Ooooh you are such a lovely bunch of people on here. <3  Today is an odd day with my family unsure whether to celebrate my motherness or commiserate me being motherless. Little messages on here do prove to me that there are decent people in the world and, if you know me, that makes me very happy on Mother's Day indeed. To make the most of my day, I did 55 miles on Zwift cycling (ha! take that bike forum!) :)

To those who are mums, have mums or who might have lost mums (eg Speedy), wishing you all the best today. It can be so difficult and I have found it especially hard the week of mum's funeral. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sadly lost my mum 20 years ago, but have to say my 3 looked after Mrs OO today, which indirectly meant lots of cake for me 😋
    Great miles Jools must feel good to get 20 under your belt. You too GD.
    17 here for a 54 week
  • Indeed MsE, Mother's Day and the lead up to it are very hard at first. Constant emails suggesting you buy x or y to make your mum's day special etc. 5 years on and I'm finally OK with just deleting them and maybe a bit of a mutter, but the first couple of years it reduced me to tears at times. I'm still going to have issues with Father's Day for a while I suppose. 

12 miles in the wind, but no rain. You take what you can get, right? I'm on a cutback now. My coach thinks that weeks begin on Saturdays. I have pointed out that Saturday is part of the weekEND, but he won't be convinced. He sends my schedules through starting with Saturdays and I have to manually alter it to start, correctly, on a Monday! 

I know what you mean DT. I've had people comment that my long runs are too fast for example. But after a year of barely running at all and generally inconsistent from the second half of 2014 onwards, I ran my fastest time on the Forest Rec parkrun course since early 2014 a couple of weeks ago, and the long runs feel EASY. Of course they never notice that my recovery runs are generally 8.30 - 9 min miling. I'm pretty sure Vince knows what he's doing. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Speedy, that's exactly my point, watchers will take note of the sessions and long run, but gloss over the 'boring' runs, the 6m at 8.30mm but they are the ones that allow the magic to happen elsewhere. Knock all them out at 7.30mm as many at our level might and that changes how the rest feels. 

Similar to what gdawg is noting.

Good to get a 20 in, jools.  Is there a mara booked or was that for fun?

Nothing to rush for just yet, gul. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    CC - as DT says, if you use a coach then trust in them and give full feedback on how you feel. The accountability and them getting you to do what you need rather than what you'd usually do are very important for improving......defo agree, make your training black or white, so run slowly until the sessions or target runs

Dawg - so 5m av 6.49 has got to be verging on 5m hard ? I find this staggering, as an m50 i start out around 9mm, do you start out at ~6.49 or is this progressive ? That run would be a hard effort for me, is that the aim ?......in my mind you've got to be sub3 capable given the quick paces you can hit so often, but you need to learn to squeeze yr toothpaste from the bottom of the tube........id like to see you run an easier week (8mm stuff) and then fo something like 5m easy, 10m effort, 3m easy for a long run and see if you can hold 6.50s for that......
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - going well, good session. I did 20 inc 13.1 in 1.27.0x a few times last summer and reckoned i was in sub 2.55 shape, but the gales turned up at Goodwood......the weather conditions will probably be the biggest factor for you at Dorney, but you are heading 2.50ish given some of yr tempo runs.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Speedy: does it really matter what other people think?

DT: nothing until London in October, but because I've not been able to race a marathon since 2017 due to injuries,. I'm conscious I don't have a good endurance base, so I'm doing marathon-lite training at the moment to ensure my body will cope with full marathon training in a few months' time.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    6 miles @ 8.36m/m.  A lovely morning for a recovery run - or indeed any run!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

TR- That's where I was. I'd happily do the miles but anything that looked like it might push me I'd bottle and default to 5 or 6m at mara pace and that was the extent of my hard sessions.

Yes, I'm feeling 6.30-6.40 pace isn't scary for a mara anymore. My tentative plan will be to start out at 6.40 and get though half way in low 1.27 and then speed up from there through second half.

Jools, makes sense to spread the load in that way and get some time in the  legs.

I put on a pair of jeans yesterday for first time since late January. It's then that you can see what weight you have lost (or gained of course). I was 10,4 dead yesterday morning and my jeans 9which I had for xmas) were hanging off me and to compound it my belt didn't have enough holes in to be of any use.

5m recovery over lunch planned and my usual 'bums and tums' class later this evening. 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hey, TR. That 5 miler started out at 7.13 then 6.56, 6.51, 6.23, and 6.47. It wasn't a planned session, I often just see how I feel when I hit the road. I like the feeling of working hard sometimes but I realise that's not great for all sessions, that's why I hit the trails so often, where the terrain slows me down and gives me a strength workout.

As Jools said, I'm also building a base of endurance right now so I can lift my campaign training in June. I want my current MP (6.55) to feel normal so that on the day, 6.50 is the new normal. 

I have a similar session to what you suggest coming up soon where |I divide a 15 miler into 5 easy 5 at MP and 5 at whatever. I like that session but have to do it in the day or evening as I can't get going early mornings, need to be up for a couple of hours and mobile.

Trying to organise my running week as I received a text for the vaccine and will have it tomorrow night, therefore, predicting I won't feel great on Wednesday so that will be a rest day.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Jools - nice to bag a 20 again - been a while here too.
    GD - nippy 5 miler. Hope you're doing some easy/slow stuff too :) Most likely you won't feel any particular impact from the vaccination, but good move to plan just in case.
    OO - good tally.
    Speedy - calm day for a change here - even lovely and sunny :) You must be near the middle of the week by now?!
    TR - same here with 9:xx being the norm for the first mile. If it's more like 8:30 then I know it's going to turn out at least a bit faster than an easy pace run.
    DT - I may have the opposite issue if all these rest days continue. 
    I ventured out this morning, but very soon turned back and called it a day. No sense in rushing and risk any damage.