Overdone it?

Comments

• SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    That's an incredible session DT - well done - I did laugh out loud when I read this bit.

'I wore my new Soar running shorts and wondered if it was down to those, but that seems improbable on its own.'

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Thing is, Skinny, they were £90 so I was looking for a sense of justification!

Easy 10m MLR over lunch.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell DT, that's as much as all my future baby's clothes up to age 9 months including postage! Great session though.
  • I've finally given up and googled - I resisted as long as I could...

'SOAR’s coral-red Elite Race running shorts incorporate cutting-edge technology to provide a streamlined, performance-driven experience during cardiovascular exercises. They’re crafted from ultra-lightweight shell with elements of stretch for ease of movement and feature an elasticated waist, reflective panels and laser-cut cuffs that minimise friction and chafing.'

Sound fast 
    B)
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Great to hear you are doing well, lit! 

Looks like a sensible return to a bit of speedwork, Skinny.   

Another monster session, DT, top work! I've had a soar vest for a couple of years, it's insanely light and doesn't seem to hold any moisture at all, expensive though!

Off out for a few hilly trail miles shortly, really enjoying the longer days and lighter evenings. 
  • DT you probably know but you can get special marathon ones at the very reasonable price of £125.

'The Marathon Shorts are the perfect piece of kit for 26.2 miles and beyond. With a super-lightweight construction, peerlessly plush liner, and more than ample storage for gels and mid-run essentials, they’re the only shorts you’ll ever need for marathon and ultra races.

Constructed from an ultra-lightweight French-made mesh fabric with added elastane for stretch, these stripped back shorts combine a racing silhouette with technical perfection. They’re so light, you’ll barely know you’re wearing them.

The hems are laser-cut for maximum comfort, while a unique Aloe Vera-infused shaped and bonded liner eliminates chafing. The external rear pocket swallows four gels, while waistband loops at the front accommodate two more. Other mid-race essentials are securely stashed away in an extra, zipped rear pocket.

Designed to deliver unprecedented long-distance racing comfort and supreme functionality, the Marathon Shorts are the super-charged solution to balancing storage with performance. Ensuring you’re equipped to tackle the distance at hand without compromise.'

I am concerned about the fact that you will barely know you are wearing them - imagine racing along in London with all the crowds cheering and you have to keep looking down just to check you have actually got your shorts on. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Lit, the one thing I found going through the process of babies to toddlers is that the clothing and toy market for those ages must thrive and complete over purchasing. We were passing on outfits in the first 6 months that had been worn once, and many toys barely get touched.

Skinny, I was originally after the aeroswift half tight, which is what Kipchoge wore in the sub 2 run, but could only get a medium and being a stone lighter they hung off me. So I eventually gave up searching and found the soar elite half tight in small, which I think is different to what you viewed-

https://www.matchesfashion.com/products/1402767?country=GBR&rffrid=sem.Google.n=g.cid=1755541349.aid=72434130881.k=.mty=.d=c.adp=.cr=341568394306.tid=aud-811359454280:pla-891834329245.pid=1402767000006.ppid=891834329245.lpm=1006573.adty=pla.prl=en&utm_content=1402767000006&utm_term=891834329245.[value].&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0caCBhCIARIsAGAfuMz7Fkc-MV-U9lgieH6uW64K_ihlIdtM-mdk0T20jZJKovC0TY1SBS0aAgnkEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have worn them for all my big runs in the last week, and as Tommy states, you take them off and they are almost bone dry.

Tommy, I have the aeroswift vest and I recall taking it off after the Yorkshire mara where it poured down for 3 hours and it was mildly damp. My club vest would have been capable of being squeezed like a sponge.

In the grand scheme of everything else it's proportionate I think.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:

Lit, the one thing I found going through the process of babies to toddlers is that the clothing and toy market for those ages must thrive and complete over purchasing. We were passing on outfits in the first 6 months that had been worn once, and many toys barely get touched.

That is why all Eggbert's stuff is second-hand (except the reusable nappies, which do apparently lose some of their absorbency over their lifetime, and a new mattress for safety). I also just can't handle the massive environmental waste of buying new stuff for a baby who'll be wearing it for a few weeks at most. And he's already got millions of (hand-me-down) toys and he's not even born yet, let alone old enough to play with them. We've been having lots of fun playing with the remote control Thomas the Tank Engine though.
  • SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    literatin said:

We've been having lots of fun playing with the remote control Thomas the Tank Engine though.
    Bet the dog loves that - oh my cookies now think I'm seriously going to be buying some Soar shorts - they're at the bottom of the screen zooming out at me. I see they do a cap too - I wonder how many thousands of pounds they cost?
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    The dog wasn't invited to be in the room when we were playing trains.

He's going to love having a baby brother though. Haha.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    literatin said:

We've been having lots of fun playing with the remote control Thomas the Tank Engine though.
    Bet the dog loves that - oh my cookies now think I'm seriously going to be buying some Soar shorts - they're at the bottom of the screen zooming out at me. I see they do a cap too - I wonder how many thousands of pounds they cost?
    I also have a Soar cap; they were giving them away for free when I went to Night of the 10,000m PB's a couple of years ago. Me and my mate (jokingly) reckon that if you wear the cap back to front in a race, you'll run 5-10 seconds per mile quicker. My mate has improved all his race times by about that margin over that time and worn the cap back to front for all of these races. By coincidence he's been running 50 miles a week and avoided injury during this time, but we'll never know if it's the magic hat or the consistent training...

They're also useful when scaling near vertical rock slopes in tough fell races...

• That looks every bit as hard as anything you’d find in Lake District 
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    I think this is the only AL rated fell race in the Peak District (the hardest category), specifically designed for a British Champs race, there's loads in the Lakes. I think Matt from Stevie's thread is a former winner. It's a brilliant route and race (if you like that sort of thing). 

• I am concerned about the fact that you will barely know you are wearing them - imagine racing along in London with all the crowds cheering and you have to keep looking down just to check you have actually got your shorts on. 

The Emperor's New Shorts
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Would you not notice (I ask as a woman, who does not know about these things) if you weren't wearing any shorts at all, though?
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    literatin said:
    Would you not notice (I ask as a woman, who does not know about these things) if you weren't wearing any shorts at all, though?

Might get in a bit of a flap.
  • yeah your knees would get more chafed then normal. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well Tommy has already proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the cap is worth 5-10s per mile, I dread to think what the shorts might be worth! 

Anyway I am blind to criticism about £90 shorts from anyone with £250, or thereabouts, racing shoes! 
  • Another week survived.

4,3,9,4,4,15,8 for 47 total.

2 more weeks to get to base camp.

i did actually get a PB last week - that’s 59 days consecutive running days beating last year’s 56.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice going, Skinny  that's proper mileage now! Are you sure though this running streak business is a good idea? 

My last big week with 65m Ended with two fantastic runs. 20m on Friday over my (slightly extended) lunchbreak was almost effortless coming in at 7 26mm for a recovery level average hr of 138. Gradually and naturally picked up 2nd half ending with a 7.05, 7.04 and 6.46. 

Today was 10m at mara pace. Thankfully I woke  up in reasonable shape have had beers, wine and curry last night. Could feel Fridays 20 in legs a little. Planned to just sit at 6.30mm. Lost discipline a touch second half and came in 6.28mm average though only 2 miles slightly out of line in 6.23 and 6.25. Average hr though was a ridiculous 150. Importantly as well though it wasn't really drifting with a 6.29 last mile and 152 average hr for example. 

For context  end of last Feb when I thought I was in 2.55 shape, 10m at 6.31 for 159bpm. End of November 8m at 6.27mm for 161 bpm, so a completely different effort level really. 
  • DT19 said:
    Nice going, Skinny  that's proper mileage now! Are you sure though this running streak business is a good idea?
    No, not a clue - but at moment the small runs seem to be helping my recovery. On this kind of mileage historically eventually I have broken down so I’m just trying this as a different method at the moment. When I do get injured I wouldn’t necessarily be in a rush to blame running every day.

I’ve been building to a pyramid of 4 runs totalling 15, 2 totalling about 15 and 1 of 15. Slightly exceeded that this week but it feels like less stress on my body than 5 runs totalling 47 miles would be (but I don’t really know).

Running out of superlatives for your shape at the moment - your easy training runs are close to my race pace now, your sessions are my old PBs and shortly we will see how amazing your actual race paces are!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I should clarify, by end of Feb I meant Feb 2020. 

Well fingers crossed UKA give the green light this week for racing from early April. 

Fair enough, sounds like you have it under control. 
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Skinny - that's good going. You seem to have built up the mileage pretty quickly but you are seemingly feeling ok for it?

DT - Keeping my fingers crossed the race goes ahead. I think we all want to see what you can run! 

Another 40 mile week ticked off for me.

I also gave my new Saucony Endorphin Pros a spin on Saturday. Super shoe curiosity finally got the better of me! My 20 minute tempo came in 7 seconds a mile faster than the same session a couple of weeks ago. That's compared to a pretty quick training shoe as well rather than an everyday plodder. I suspect I subconsciously pushed a bit harder etc but still I'm pretty impressed. They also feel really nice to run in and like a fairly normal shoe.

I'll now pack them away in a cupboard and save then for all the races that I'm not planning on doing :)
  • Haha - good going Mr V - I’ve done the same thing with my Nike moon shoes - wobbled round kitchen in them, ran 5k seemingly quite fast for my fitness and since then they’ve been sitting in a cupboard.

Plan is to release them in a 5k on 4th April and see where I’m at.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good going, Mr V, you'll be smashing it all in no time.

I'm wearing mine on Friday for my full kit dress rehearsal of 8m at mp.

So, pending Friday and having had initial exchanges with Lewis the plan is to set out at 6.40 and work down so go though half way at 6.35mm. If I am  then feeling as good as training dictates I should, then I start kicking on. Of course 6.35 pace brings me in nicely on target time.

UKA updated guidance now permits travel to train and race so there is no identifiable reason for the race not to happen. Have a fartlek over lunch then sports massage tonight. Just hoping now that the weather plays ball and it isn't horrifically windy at Dorney.

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Yeah interesting to see an elite athlete be so upfront about how much they help. The usual response tends to be to play their impact right down. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

The problem is though when everyone else in the race has the same shoes you are all faster by the same amount so it's a fast race but the effect in terms of placings is neutral.

Nice little fartlek over lunch, 40 mins with 4 mins on, 2 mins off. Covered 6.55m with an average pace of 6.07mm. Went through 10k in 38.10, which kind of blows my mind as i'd spent 6 x 2 mins easy running.

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    DT - Yeah indeed, though it does seem  everyone reacts differently depending on biomechanics so not necessarily the case that all athletes benefit by the same amount.

Another super speedy session there - I did a fairly similar run today with 4 minute efforts, though my fast bits were slower than your average pace :)