Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• I got an email from runners world:

You earned the Ancient Membership badge.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Not as fancy as being promoted to level 4. This place is a mystery. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I'm ancient too apparently, but never got an email to tell me!
  • When I first read the email I was confused: my member is no more ancient than the rest of me, and then I saw the ship bit. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Phil's here all week lahdees and gents.

9 for me. 7.17.

4 days off work after today for no particular reason than cramming them pre end of March hol year end.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I thought the government had forced all companies into extending the carryover period for holiday, think we have the whole of 2021 to use ours.

Did my planned hill reps yesterday, 10 x 1/4 mile @ 11%. First time I have done this since the Everest month back in November. I have those sore glutes again though so the conditioning is quickly lost it seems! Need to do more hills ready for running up and down Scafell in June.

Club group ride on Zwift in the evening, it was easy effort but then we started to duke it out on the sprints and despite wanting to take it all easy I couldn't help myself
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Scafell or Scafell Pike Reg? 

I'm also on leave this week for the sole purpose of using it up! I think it was one of those gvt suggestions rather than an edict...

When I booked this week, it was in the vain hope that we'd be allowed to travel!

Lunch run to follow today, then a social outing with the ancient Mr J tomorrow to look forward to :smiley:
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Run 26.6 Miles from T2 to Scafell Pike and back via Great Langdale, Esk Hause and Great End. Apparently.

Sure you're right Bus, just advice on the holiday.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That's gonna be a rather tough one Reg!
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Good though - Walked to the top of SP in 2003 I think it was. So everytime the opening credits of Countryfile are on (yes I know) it allows me to go 'BEEN THERE!!' in an annoying fashion. Going up is fine, down is a nightmare on the knees.

Hope feeling better now Reggie. Fit nurse eh? I had one for a g/f back in the mid 90's. Lost her to the Army Med Corps and a half Greek RAF Doctor. What can you do eh? Its like the plain Jane g/f of a new F1 driver. You can't compete ;)

Good running all, good jabbing too. Got my booster next Weds at UCLH.

Did an interesting session Saturday - 4 x (200,600). 2  mins between reps and a whopping 5 mins between sets. Apparently it was from the world masters mile record holder. Obviously it's supposed to be an eyeballs out type thing. Averaged 31 for the 200's and about 1.47's for the 600's, 1.41 for the last one. Also met a very good runner doing a mammoth session, he saw the track on line and came over from Harpenden. He's at uni and a 3.45 1500m guy! Very swift. Warmed down with him too, good bloke.

16m Sunday, did 8x800m with spikes yesterday as got that Watford xc thing soon.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    I thought the government had forced all companies into extending the carryover period for holiday, think we have the whole of 2021 to use ours.

Did my planned hill reps yesterday, 10 x 1/4 mile @ 11%. First time I have done this since the Everest month back in November. I have those sore glutes again though so the conditioning is quickly lost it seems! Need to do more hills ready for running up and down Scafell in June.

Club group ride on Zwift in the evening, it was easy effort but then we started to duke it out on the sprints and despite wanting to take it all easy I couldn't help myself
    I managed to stash 10 days into the next hol year by playing the "Big birthday" card.
    I'll have to come up with something vahuely decent to do over the bday now, as I'm not sure trotting a 9miler out around Wycombe each day, then lounging around all day will cut it. :D 

ps mental hill reps. Seems just the sort of thing a man with your frequency of muscular tears should be doing ;)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Simon, you just know a session is going to be a killer when it's only just over 3k total effort :o
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice work Si, looks like the prospect of racing has those juices flowing again.

SG, I did these reps quite easy actually so I did apply a modicum of common sense. Back in November I did the same session with 24 reps :-). I will try and build up to that doing it once a week. 

Holiday to burn, no dependents, why not run across the country or something? Maybe do a famous trail like the West Highland Way. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    If it works, I'd like to find a few races over a week, and have a little tour aboot. Somewhere my running forum fame doesn't go before me, and I can run anonymously, without the usual flurry of photos and autographs dished out.
    We'll see how it pans out.

Doing the run version of the John O groats - Land's end would be amazing.
    But in reality I bet it'd be an absolutely shimmering world of pain and miserable.
    I saw them offer it as an "experience" for about £7k.

I'm a cautious chap, and the "what if I bail after 1 day" aspect would be my fear :)
    The answer from them would of course be that's fine, followed by a quick "No" to the next question....on refunds.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    More realistically & local you could do Ridgeway, South Downs Way, North Downs Way or the Thames Path SG.
    Noticed that run on Strava Reg & thought nice TriX training.
    Smashing the reps Simon.
    So a 4.5M recovery at lunch with my DofE student & home in time for the 6M loop. Midweek session called for so decided on 1M wu into 3x1M hard with 0.5M float between efforts. Miles came out as 6:28/7:48/5:59 😆 
    Not as erratic as it appears since 1st was undulating, 2nd was uphill all the way & 3rd was 90% DH. Effort was there so training benefit should be too.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    All counts though Jools. Good going.
    SG - Coach did a John O Groats to Land End relay thing...few of them in a van. Can imagine they spent nearly 7k on beer...even back then!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    How did that work Simon? Run 10miles each per day or something in rotation?
    Then stay somewhere and have an evening out each day?

But yeah, fanciful that one!
    Jools - will consider those, but if I was going to do some long hoon, i was considering some sort of 40k or 40mile trek around the 4 running clubs I've been involved with, perhaps getting people from the clubs to join up. We'll see though, that's an ask.

10mile today.
    Over to Marlow for the Winter hill type route.

7.19 pace, fairly firm today, much better than the drenched version the last time I was there!!

The two slowing bits were one stretch where they were cutting some trees down, so the diversion was some bumpy, lumpy tall grass section, and the climb up to the peak of the Hill. I took a different route to normal, which gets you quite high quite quick up a footpath, and then you have good views across the whole landscape, whereas you don't really on the more traditional climb.

On that one, you're too busy looking up, and it comes probably half a mile further on, so you miss out.
  • Reg Wand said:

There is a lot of small print involved in that: we had an email from HR saying "none of you worthless slackers are key workers so your carry over is as per normal"

Pre-lunchtime run with Bus over the hills from  Lane End, down to Fingest and Turville and back up round the aback of Frieth. Lots of Easter dinners on legs. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Don't be so mean to those poor little lambs Philip   ;)  I was thinking a little bit of mint would be handy though...

Very nice route by the way - thanks!

Just wish this bloody hamstring would do one!

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Sounds like a good route choice SG. I’ve got some stunning views on my local routes.
    Good to see HR boosting morale in these testing times PMJ😆
    5K TT at lunch with the Y10 lads. Headed down the canal so 1500m wu then went off in 3 groups at 2 minute intervals. I paced the 23’ group to halfway (11:26) which was into a stiff breeze then waited there for the 21’ group so they knew where to turn. I then blasted out the return leg in 9:42 which confused my Garmin into coming up with these crazy stats:

Hilly 10K after work with a bit of a blast along a 2K stretch which has 2 overlapping off road segs which go up & over the top of the local mountain before dropping down the other side. Improved my times on both in spite of the fading light meaning I couldn’t go full bore on the DH as I kept landing awkwardly, not to mention my crooked back 🤣
    Only 275m from my March nEverest now.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    You'd take those race  times Jools!

Anyone watching the GB marathon trials? I love watching big domestic races.

8 miles yesterday @ 7:22, HR averaged in the recovery zone so I think there's some decent fitness building. Getting under 1000 beats per mile is always a good sign for me and I was at 1,019 yesterday. If I run faster the economy gets better so probably under 1,000 if I ran sub 7 pace.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Jools, your watch has seen the paces you're doing on these high elevations and pro rated it to what you should be doing in races ;)

Mine aren't too insane at the moment,  17.01 5k, 35.20 10k, 1.18 half. Doubt I'd hit any of those tomorrow, but hopefully not beyond me all in... 
    But other times they are truly madcap :D 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    That's very decent recovery pace Reg & agreed sub 1,000 is always a good sign.
    When I was at my aerobic peak in 2018 I'd regularly be in the high 900s for a parkrun. I hit 1003 for yesterday's 5K TT however it included 3 off watch static recoveries between wu & TT, halfway through TT & then between the end & cd. I've been around 1040-1050 on my tempo runs.
    I listened to a 2012 BBC world service show yesterday in which Chrissie Wellington did a stint on the TM at 15 kph - her average HR was 125 which would mean her beats per mile was 800!
    Summitted Everest again on a rare early morning run today. A day earlier than last month but 2 days behind January. I may have to reduce the climbing for April though since it's hardly relevant to performance in a flat marathon :D 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    12x400 off 60secs then, 3k zone.
    Roughly thought 1.18 seemed sensible, after 1.20s for 600s at 5k the week before.

Got out reasonably early despite having a day off work, just to make sure no-one had the track for any particular reason.

Thought i'd "ease" into the reps, and the first rep felt pretty comfy

1.13xx :o  

The wind seemed to increase from lap 2, and reality kicked in, so it panned out

1.13, 3x1.16, 1.17,  2x1.16, 1.18, 1.17, 2x1.18, 1.17

Full disclaimer as always  - split 10 I managed to bungle and take late as 1.20, but i'm sure 1.18 is a fair estimate of how it went :)

Felt decently hard midway, probably due to the keen start, and especially as the windy bit kicked in with 120metres to go, and therefore I was down on my haunches for a chunk of the recovery late on :)

However, that lot average out comfortably to 1.17 probably mid 1.16s, which is ahead of the estimate, so a decent effort.

Rounded the body of work up to 8miles with a local loop after, and then the second I got in the car it started heavily raining. Just as well. A bit of windiness on the reps is one thing, but mix in rain, especially heavy and it would have been a world of pain!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    It's all based on what it estimates your VO2 max to be, which is notoriously inaccurate and particularly of you use a wrist based HRM. You use chest though don't you Jools? 

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Chest strap only Bus.
    Interesting to hear how close to reality yours are SG. Solid track session
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Well, in fairness I left the mad one out - the 2.43 marathon prediction is a bit insanely wild  :D 
    You'd have to transition between HM & Marathon exceptionally well to move a 1.18 half to a 2.43 marathon! 

But yeah, in the past I'm sure the shorter distances have come out ludicrously way ahead of lifetime pbs.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Good sessions Jools, Reg and SG, sounding promising across the board, hopefully the blessed hammie will calm down Bus. So just bought some lime green Adios 5, hopefully will sort me out for a year or so with the odd TT, road reps and the odd road race.

Tight for time, so hit the old 30 x 200 last night, averaged about 37's I think.

Allowed to carry over any amount of leave at ours (HR in the NHS), also sold a week of holiday, so that was a nice extra £500....Still not tempted to blow half of it on clown shoes ;)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I was tempted by those lime green ones, but they always seemed to be more expensive than the other colours. Are they back same price/cheaper again?

You're doing well to be able to sell holiday... a lot of companies are stopping that so they don't suddenly get a massive extra bill to pay!

Just watched bits and pieces of those Olympic trials. Looks hard work with only 12-15 of each gender in there. Splits out pretty quickly.

I love the way they were focusing on the front 3 in the men's race as if that was who the battle was, then the next shot, Chris Thompson was leading, from absolutely nowhere!!