Comrades 2022

Comments

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Not at all - I am not offended, but I don't understand it.  I do understand that I come at this virus and vaccine with a good deal of bias, honestly earned.
  • I think after one year of the virus we have to have make some light hearted wit of it all otherwise we’ll crack up even more, the UK has been under restrictions and lockdowns longer than most other countries. Sadly it has become country V country and mostly for political and intellectual property gain rather than for humane reasons to one and all throughout the world. The virus knows no borders and it ain’t going away, much like influenza. As Donny Trump rightly said we have to get used to it and lived with it. Regrettably through lockdowns, albeit lives have been saved short term, long term effects are unthinkable.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I absolutely fall short of direct exposure to the horrors.

Here is a short summary on the virus situation from someone who voted to remain in the EU but who now enjoys portraying a pro UK isolationist bias (what alternative would I have other than to continually lament the loss)...

- The EU are bad losers seeking to undermine anything the UK does
    - Amongst many other frustrations they are knocking the Oxford vaccine
    - That's working! Many countries have become concerned, to the detriment of the whole world. Vaccination rollouts stalled in many cases
    - I have been poking fun at the whole situation - regretting deaths if you read everything I said - as I approached and had my vaccine I indeed did seek to inject humour into the situation reflecting how daft it was that there is no real scientific evidence anything is amiss with the Oxford vaccine.

Stop digging potential holes 1owrez; move on.
  • Lowrez
    if only more had your approach in first para ‘ what alternative would I have other than to continually lament the loss’ the world would be a better place indeed. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    In anticipation of the world being a happier place in November I now have tickets to go see...

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Got my Astra Zeneca this morning - so far just a sore arm... 🤞
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Good to hear SD, gradually we are all joining the dangly arm club.
  • Astra Zeneca for me too on Sunday. All fine with me. Just a sore arm
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Another arm bites the dust, good job they're not injecting legs!
  • Lowrez, I’ve a friend in hospital with a blood clot in their leg. And they had the same as me, Sinopharm. 
  • Blood clots / haematomas / DVT more common than blue sky in the UK

Seems UK are stealing the drugs for developing countries? 

Wonder why Israel UAE Gibraltar aren’t attacked this way?

back to running and Comrades - info released in the morning for virtual 
  • Slow Duck, Southern Snail: that's good news on both points.

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Boris in, this instance, is a bloody genius. He's invested in potential vaccines knowing some would probably fail, and committed to bring in an oversupply of vaccines, some of which are still being manufactured to try and ensure the UK has a constant supply until we're all vaccinated. There's been a ton of bad press attempting to twist that into other sensational stories. Looks like we'll have a surplus once we're done so I expect we might even give it to some poor urchins and continue to be criticized for it.

Mr D there you go. People will continue to have other ailments whichever brand of needle you stick in 'em.

Vader awaits the virtual announcement

• What distance have you gone for, 'with a shirt' or 'without'? £45 right?

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I'll only be capable of crawling a half marathon by then I suspect so gone for that - it included a "free" t-shirt - liked how you could choose between blue or green. I spent about £55 'cos I donated to charity and I couldn't resist one of these:-

Darth might look a bit silly in that :D 
  • OH I quite like that hat too! Does that £55 include P&P delivered same year as the event I wonder?

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Completely new entry partner operating, quite slick, includes what appears to be timely international delivery, all details entered into this new widget. What actually sits on the delivery side I would say remains questionable until experienced :D
    No obvious route to make a personal charity page aligned with one of the big 6 within that though :(
  • Thinking I'd better make it the HM for this year's virtual, given I'll (unless something has gone wrong) be somewhere on the SDW, hopefully past Housedean Farm so with less than 25 miles to go, when the clocks tick over to Sunday 13th June. Will have to go for a green T-shirt rather than blue of course. Are they offering buffs again? I've found my 'Race the legends' buff really useful.
    Looks like we need to create an account with 'Event Ninja'?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    OMG son of 1owrez wants the 45k option! How old and decrepit do I feel :D
    Yep a buff is on the Ninja's shopping list.
    Wow an in-event SDW half, amazing :)
  • DubairunnerDubairunner ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Given that the temperature here will be a low of mid 30s overnight to mid 40s during the day I’ll pass.

And I’m working 1300-2200.

• I'd like to feel part of the Comrades centenary event - but I don't really see myself running round the stadium track in Eastbourne then going back out for however many miles to make it a marathon. I suppose I'd better take a second watch along, start it as soon after midnight as I remember, stop it as soon after 13.1 miles as I remember... Have to see if I can borrow a watch from someone in the club, since both my old ones are dead.
    (Of course, if I could make up my mind which watch to go for as a new one I could have my present watch as the second watch, but I've still not decided.)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I'm confused; which watch is what? :D
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Debra, could use strava on a phone to record comrades if you don’t have a second watch??
  • Mc Hilly: I've no idea. Is that something that's possible to do?
    I don't really want to get a new watch only 3 years after I bought my 935. But I'm getting fed up of having to spend the first half of 100-mile races with a portable charger attached to my watch - particularly when I bought it for the theoretical 24-hour battery life. I keep vacillating between Coros Apex Pro (long battery life, lightweight, not so large, but only breadcrumbs not full maps, and a phone-only App) and Fenix 6xPro (full mapping and the Garmin online platform that I'm used to, but larger and heavier as well as more expensive).

• Debra, hope well. Re watches we touched on this a while back. I've not used Polar, but have worn Suunto, TomTom, and was a trusted Garmin user since 5s several years, then latterly 6, until December when I joined COROS Global Team, I have to say the watches are something else. Apart from a watch to tell the time, then while running, basics, distance, pace, time etc, COROS do all and more of any other watch for a mere fraction of the cost. They are so lightweight often I forget I have it on, battery life is bizzarre (last Saturday example 100% at 0900, ran round Water 15 miles / 2 hours GPS use, returned home when removed watch to shower I recall batter was 97%, need say more. The ease of use is so straightforward it's fool proof, the app is blooming excellent too, don't miss needing to see things via Garmin Connect etc. When I press Run on my watch within seconds it is measuring my HR and connected to Sat (fyi Garmin & COROS use the same satelites throughout the world, but COROS has access to more of them hence the speed of connection and then the accuracy is second to none. When I run with Terry is watch often takes that long to connect I could have ran a mile, haha. Knowing things are that going on behind the scenes at COROS I can tell you the company really is ahead of the game. Chap I report into oversees EMEA for COROS, they stole him from Garmin where he did the same role. He'll not speak badly of Garmin but I see nothing but flaws with Garmin versus nothing but growing use of COROS. Conclusion, they are great, if you want one let me know and I shall be able to get it 10-20% off for you. Also, if you or anyone need any nutrition or other 'stuff' (socks, bags, watches, etc, etc) sold via XMiles UK then let me know and again will get it for you at 20% off.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Any time you need some extra Comrades medals Terry, you just let me know.

Special discount on gills this week.
  • Bloody hell, it is Terry's double!
    Lowrez, ask Terry about his dealings with HMRC yesterday and today, this image reflects the look on his face while waiting for them to pick up his call, they never did!