Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - not over Woodbury Common I hope, quite rough going in places I think.

It is odd because EA haven't published anything re road/trail.   I haven't read the RunBritain stuff but from the brief glance of it they've allegedly changed the PDF docs but one page will say today's date, another will say 2020 all within the same document.   So maybe that's a mess too.  Good luck to the race organisers.  From gov.uk it looks like staggered starts not required but I don't know what RunBritain have put in their rules.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    That’s good news re the guidance. I’m hoping Richmond confirm the non-elite marathon tomorrow after the trials as they did promise it for this week. Otherwise I guess it will be MK. I’m also wondering whether the clarity could mean some hastily organised races for April? I could really do with a half tune-up. 

11 miles this afternoon. Felt good so despite saying I wouldn’t do anything speedy this week I included a 30 minute tempo (sorry Shades 😬). That’s it for the week though. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - tut, tut, but as long as the hamstring is OK, that's fine.  ;)

Yes, you certainly could do with a pre marathon 10 mile or half marathon race.   I guess it might depend on how far you are willing and able to travel?   I know there are places in the half at Shepperdine, but Gloucestershire might be further than you're willing to drive on the day.   How about the Goodwood events, not sure if they're full.   

http://www.runninggrandprix.com/

8 miles this morning, nice morning just a sharp wind in places.   

I'm already watching the 20km walks in readiness for the marathon.   Looks a fabulous course, I see why Dave Bedford said it was such a perfect course.    :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I was watching the walking too, and looking forward the marathon now.  Tim Hutchings, the male commentator had "a moment"; at one point the camera cut to him and Mara and he was having trouble with his mask, so much so that as he was adjusting it, it became more of a blindfold rather than a mask :D  It didn't look particularly glamorous, doing the broadcast outside in what looked to be a gazebo :) 

I was thinking about doing my time trial this morning and was up early with the view of getting it done, but it was too windy here so I didn’t do it.  Don't get that luxury in a proper race!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    It's a lovely place to visit, by the way.  I'm not a keen gardener in any way, but I enjoyed it the time I went, which was about 18 months ago.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I didn't see that moment with Tim Hutchings.  :smiley:

I'm really enjoying the coverage as we're getting a good close look at the runners, including the women.

I'm not noticing any particular shoe as being dominant in this race, that makes a pleasant change.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Wow!!  What a finish by Chris Thompson. That was amazing, and he was over the moon!  He’s nearly 40 and off to the Olympics. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Just dropping in (not much change from me personally...still not running) but wow, what a run from Steph! So happy for her.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I've just finished watching it, I had paused play a few times.   I thought you'd be watching, phenomenal run by Steph, she looked so calm and made it look so easy. 

Sorry to hear you're still not running, hope that your hamstring is recovering though.

Great run by Chris Thompson too, he's a great racer.

I'm exhausted after watching that, very motivational I think. 

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks. It's less bad than it was although I'm wary about testing it until it's a lot less noticeable. I've managed to offload my Richmond marathon place to another runner and will probably end up deferring Milton Keynes...I just hope I can get back running soon so I can do some smaller races.

That was a great race from Thompson.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Watched the end of that race post work and it was very inspiring especially since Chris Thompson is exactly my age. I noticed that he was wearing vaporflys covered up as he’s sponsored by someone else (I think On). I’m assuming some shoe companies who know they don’t have a race worthy competitor allow that but I guess someone like Adidas wouldn’t?

Shades - Thanks for those but I’m not sure I’ve the mental fortitude to run around these racetracks yet! Runthrough have emailed saying they are good to go with their races so will see if there is a more local half. 

7 miles easy this evening post work. 20 miler tomorrow morning most likely. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I see there's an event at Lee Valley too, that might be easier travel wise for you.   At least you'd only be doing the half on one of those lapped courses, which isn't so bad, but tough for a marathon.   I think councils will be cautious about giving permission for larger new events at short notice so most likely would be smaller club organised events.

I'm not sure the sponsors would be happy with a disguised shoe, but for someone like Chris Thompson he would easily pick up another sponsor now.   A 2:10 Kenyan would probably lose his sponsor and not get another. Chris Thompson certainly made up for it in his interview with his On kit, I liked his hat.  

Incidentally at the UK Championship marathon, which is usually held at London marathon, runners were instructed to not wear kit with logos, so if you wanted to wear your Nike shirt/socks the swoosh had to be covered up, not sure if that applied to shoes.

Rest day for me today.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, yeah, Chris Thompson was in blacked out VFs.  He's done this before, and he's thanked On in the past for their support in this area I believe (Thompson posted this last year - https://www.instagram.com/p/B9Mkqc7Hc0O/?igshid=6qfuy1tppkpv).  Not sure if Steph Davies is sponsored although she was wearing adidas kit, but was wearing VFs too (not blacked out ones, so presumably she's not sponsored by adidas, but I don't know).  It's a shame the shoes have to be mentioned really, but it is "a thing" I suppose.  Even Dewi Griffiths mentioned it in the week saying they give "free time" - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/wales/56489744

It takes nothing away from Chris Thompson though.  An amazing performance by him.  I guess I can never again use the excuse that running around in circles on a circuit on narrow paths produce slow times ;)  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big_G said:

It takes nothing away from Chris Thompson though.  An amazing performance by him.  I guess I can never again use the excuse that running around in circles on a circuit on narrow paths produce slow times ;)  
    Nor age  ;)

I felt really sorry for Dewi, I have a soft spot for him and he looked so good in the early stages.  He's had a tough couple of years and I was hoping this was his comeback.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I was going to say similar about Dewi. Still works on a farm I believe?  Mo Aadan seems a good prospect too. Interesting too about Steph in that she’s relatively low mileage but does a lot of cross training (cycling and swimming). 

I got my 5k time trial done early this morning on my seafront route. In calm, cool conditions I managed 19:26. I was actually hoping to be a bit closer to 19, but I’m still pleased with the effort. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Big G - yes Dewi still works on the farm and it's lambing time too.  I don't know why he didn't do so well yesterday but maybe was just part of his comeback plan, not ready to make those times yet.

Yes, they kept saying about Steph wanting to do a 70.3 IM at some time.   And that she runs relatively low mileage, I think he said about 65 mpw.   Mara kept saying that she thought Steph could run faster than she did yesterday, bodes well for the future.

That's still a very good result on your 5k time trial.   Very calm here too but cold, I have walked to Asda and back, my exercise for the day.   :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I'm happy enough but I was really hanging on, even with the magic shoes ;)  I don't really work in Km, but I went out at 19min pace, which I managed for just 1k(!!), and then was basically hanging on from there.  Km splits were 3:46, 3:54, 3:55, 3:56, 3:54.  They look fairly consistent I suppose, but it's painful even reading those :)  

I do have 4 marathons entered now.  2xPlym Trail, Shepperdine and Worcester.  Dates below.  Certainly the first Plym Trail one next weekend will just be a "get it done"-type of thing.  Even if I have to walk up the last 6-miles I'm fine with that, having only done 1x20-miler recently.  It'll just be interesting for me to see how I get on, and then I can use that as the basis of what to do with the rest of my DD training.  Depending on how things go I may well give Shepperdine or Worcester a proper effort for a better time, but definitely the two Plym Trail ones are mainly for the mileage in the run up to DD.  In terms of DD prep, I know these events aren't hilly, but I think in the circumstances this is about the best I can do for the DD build up, and I'll just have to really try and get some hilly runs in on my own.

Plym Trail - 3rd April
    Shepperdine - 25th April
    Plym Trail - 2nd May
    Worcester - 16th May

(I *may* see if I can get a space for 1st May as well, but I'll just see how I get on on 3rd April before doing anything I may regret, keeping in mind I don't like the course!).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - very good splits.

I didn't realise you had got a place in the Easter Plym Trail.    If it's good weather the course will be heaving with walkers/cyclists/dogs, good luck with that.   I can't face doing Plym Trail for the foreseeable future, I wouldn't mind being closer to the route and using it for training.

I'll see you at Shepperdine and Worcester then, I think Shepperdine is 3 laps and Worcester 2 laps.   Shepperdine is flat, Worcester undulating but I can't remember any hills of note, that doesn't mean there were any, just means I don't recall any.   ;)    Free parking at both venues.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I got a place off the waiting list. I can’t say I’m especially looking forward to those two, but at least it’s some mileage for me. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I thought there would be places available as some folk can't travel to the event.

Thought I'd better start the list again, just April races for now    :):)

• RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Big G - Nice TT. Marathon next weekend, how exciting. Look forward to the race report. I still haven’t seen or heard anything from Richmond mara which concerns me as need to finalise both training (when to taper, peak long runs etc) and logistics if I have to do MK instead. 

20 miles for me this morning on the route I like up to the grand union canal, Hyde park and Westminster. Felt tired due to lack of sleep this week and a nasty headwind in the second half but all good otherwise and no niggles. Because I ran my last 20 miler last Sunday that means I’ve run 76miles in 7 days so think I’ll do a recovery walk/run with OH tomorrow then a down week. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - don't fret about Richmond, I expect they're waiting for the go ahead from the council, bearing in mind EA/RunBritain only published 2 days ago.  Plenty of time to taper even if you decide to do MK.  Councils are very slow.   

Well done on another good long run and no niggles.  You do sound a bit weary though.

Changing the clocks won't help the sleep.   I've already changed my clocks as I had a bad night too last night so I'll end up going to bed an hour earlier tonight. 😮. That's the plan anyway.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Absent for a few days as work has been crazy,caught highlights of the trials,brilliant run by Steph,delighted for her and her family,she still has so much potential as she has only been running seriously for a few years.
    Great run by Thompson in the mens but gutted for Jonny,mad to think he is faster than 2 of the 3 going but that's the trial system.
    Rcouture- You are looking really good,I had a look at your paces from a couple if months ago and you are showing great improvement.
    Big G/Shades-Nice to see you guys both getting ready for races,hopefully that will be more of us just after.
    Breaking news-OH has entered MK with me,she is going so well at the minute,knocked out 16 @4 hour pace and was hardly tired,she is just going to run easy so she has the knowledge she can do 26.2 then go for a time at Manchester,I wish she'd go for faster now but main thing is she enjoys it.
    No running Thursday or Friday and the usual 8.8 today,felt really good and easy,hoping to go long tomorrow.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, regarding Plym Trail you did one last year, is that right?  I've received Davey's instructions and he's talking about masks.  Did you, or other runners, wear them much whilst running?  I'll follow the rules of course but I was just wondering if people did put them on much when out on the course?  I think I'll take a buff and just have it around my wrist.

Ian, great news about your OH and doing MK too.  Similar to RCouture, it seems it's been a long time for your OH before her first marathon!

RCouture, great running by you.  You've done some very decent mileage!  As a matter of interest, who is it that organises your event?  Is it the same people that organised the olympic qualifiers?

I did about 1.5hrs yesterday afternoon in a large group ride on a flat/fast route, which was really enjoyable.  Planning another ride this morning, again in a group, but this one is hilly so I'll see how I get on.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - It is a shame about Jonny, sport can be cruel.   Tell him next time to sleep in tights not calf sleeves  ;)

Brilliant news your OH is doing MK as her debut marathon.   It makes sense logistically too, you have to book self catering and as no spectators are allowed at events then decision to run is a great idea as she wouldn't have been able to watch/support you.    She's going to be a fine marathon runner and quite right that her first marathon is to deal with the distance and have an enjoyable positive experience.   We all know what weird and unexpected things can happen in a marathon so much better not to have a target time.

Big G - I doubt Davey has altered his race info since last year's marathons, he didn't wait for EA to authorise racing again so I doubt he's read the guidance.   It has altered slightly that there are not limits on numbers at the start etc, however, it's up to the race organisers to produce a Covid safe procedure.   Davey had that crap in about masks last year, about putting them on when passing close to others on the path.   I wore my mask to collect my number and when I went into the hall to use the loo.  I never wore it after that and I didn't see anyone else running wearing one either, I did carry it with me but I had no intention using it.   Neither did any other users of the path give any indication that they were uncomfortable being close to runners.

16 miles this morning, out and back on the quiet country lanes, a few hills too, 1400 ft.   Weather good except a strong wind particularly for the first 8 miles, then it eased off.    Saw a weasel, I think only the 3rd time in my life I've seen one, crossed the road in front of me.   Then on the way back the huntsmen were out exercising the hounds, I have to stop for them as they take up the whole road, they are huge, nearly up to my waist, but amazingly how they can be controlled by 2 men.   One hound stayed behind the pack to let me make a fuss of her, not a true foxhound but I suspect a Labrador crossed with a foxhound.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Incidentally, if Davey is doing staggered starts, I arrived early to get a good parking spot and he let me start on my own 45 mins before start time.   Meant I probably had less other users of the path to deal with.   He usually has a few early starters anyway and it wasn't a problem for him, Covid wise probably makes his job easier.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, thanks for the info about Plym Trail.  Good run there from you too.

As for me, I did the ride this morning and it was tough.  It took about 3hrs50 and included some large climbs.  As a comparison, yesterday's ride was about 40 miles, mainly flat and I averaged about 25mph in a large group, where we were drafting off each other.  Today's was around 60 miles, much more hilly, and the groups split up into much smaller groups on the hills and I averaged about 15mph.  So you can see today's was much tougher!  Ooooph.  I had an idea of going out to do 5 miles to take the run mileage up to 50 for the week, but I'm not going to do that!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-We have booked an air b'n'b for the weekend,it's an entire house to ourselves so within the rules.Good running there.
    Big G-Nice riding,need to get going on the bike again soon,not used it for 4 weeks or so I think.
  • Afternoon all
    Just entered Windermere marathon as my run the sum running has been leading to some interesting affects namely i seem to be running what i thought was nice and relaxed and now seem to be plodding along not much of 9:30 pace. Might as well put this to some use ;) Also entered a half late April which will be a true test of what i am capable of.
    Managed a 2:15 half last sunday without aiming to go quite that fast. 700 foot of climb up the backroads then back down the cycletrack with amusingly a short walk despite decent downhill cos legs were grumbling.
    Today did a 10k which was min distance i needed for run the sum but drove down road a bit to explore the route on coast to coast path onto Cold Fell road thenover top and back. Just a mere 800 foot climb in that 10k
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - must have been a tough bike session if you binned the idea of rounding up the week's mileage.

Ian - a house is perfect.   Good advantage being able to prepare your preferred pre race breakfast too.

Keith - it's great to see you running so well again.
    I'll put you on the list with Windermere marathon.  What's your course best at Windermere?