Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Yeah, as soon as the Pacer (Callum Hawkins no less) dropped out, the pace dropped and Thomson came flying through! The local lass I spotted out on a run and Strava stalked was in the girls race but she didn't seem to feature and I stopped watching at about 2:34.

Jools I do wonder if there's a better calculation where you mix in your max HR to the beats per mile to get something you can compare with others. No idea what Chrissie W's max would be.

I am tempted to take Tuesday off, current forecast 23c! Perfect 100 mile bike ride weather.

Right need to find a good pair of shoes for long runs.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    The commentators might not have had their focus on the picture we had, but they seemed to take ages wittering aimlessly, before bothering to mention Thompson was suddenly leading. And then had the craziness of wondering if he'd been lapped! 

The ladies winner is one of JB's pals. Am sure he's mentioned her before.
    Seems odd that the pace maker stopped leaving her to do one solitary lap herself. If you're going to run 24 or so miles, you might as well do the full lot surely?!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Thompson was awesome, his interview was the best thing ive seen in ages. As reg said he held a ateady pace whilst the others faded when the pacers stopped.

Good day for the oldies as Andrew Davies did 2.15 as m40 and ian leitch did 2.17 as m45.

My garmin usually reckons im in around 3.13 shape, thats due to crap wrist based HR data and the algorithm liking sessions/reps to boost the VO2 reading on the garmin.

Had to have an easy fews days as the vaccine roughed me up a little (as expected as a previous CV positive).
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    On the plusside, race companies have got the go ahead to get distanced stuff back up and running, so it looks like we're ready to go from April again :)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    He was pretty pumped at the finish that's for sure! Can't say I've ever had that much energy left at the end of a marathon :smiley:

I thought a week of not sitting at a desk would be just what my hamstring needed, but apparently not. Yesterday's run with Philip was a wee bit sore but tonight's was borderline painful and I actually cut the distance down Day off tomorrow and play it by ear on Sunday, but I'm suspecting it may need a bit of time off. Not what I need just now, but at least the lighter evenings and weather will make cycling a reasonable alternative.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Surprised your approach of continued running hasn't worked, Bus  :D

I felt like I needed some time on my feet with just over two months to go so did the long river loop; Sonning, Henley, Hurley and back home. 21.4 miles in total at 8 minute miles. Felt a bit tired last few miles but otherwise it was thankfully uneventful. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Thank for the sympathy Reg :wink:  To be fair, I did think it was sitting rather than running that was making it worse and up until Thursday, it seemed to be improving. I blame Philip :smile:

You don't half throw yourself into it - what was your recent longest run before throwing in a casual 21 miler?!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Yes Bus, try and follow Reg's very sensible tips for dealing with injury please :D 

On another note, I was having a look at a few races, and MK have a 4 race weekend with some groovy medals. There's a marathon one as well, not shown below. The "Challenge" one is given if you do 2 different events over the weekend.
    No description available

But check the profile of the 5k.
    While they describe it as "31 feet gain", that's very clearly the strava style of measuring elevation, ie cumulative elevation.

Very obviously, the net elevation must be around -100 feet!
    A bit dodge, although has a license so presumably counts!

And while the 10k - marathon start at the MK stadium, with tonnes of parking, the 5k starts 5k away, with no transport to get you there. Obvs you can jog there, but not ideal.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Sorry Bus, you have my very best wishes for a quick recovery obviously  :) My longest run recently was a 15 miler last weekend, otherwise a couple of 13s. I guess the difference is that I've done several 4+ hour bike rides so from an endurance standpoint it doesn't seem like a huge leap. Having said that, I will be careful next week not to do any fast running as there will be some fatigue to recover from.

That 5km does look a bit Ross Barkley. Is that a concrete cow medal?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You have that ability to step into the longer hauls that not many would have Reg, but like you say very likely due to your long cycles.

Looking into these races a bit more, I fear the medals are the best bit.
    Even the half is on Run Britain as "unmeasured road race", which is pretty useless. So I can't imagine the shorter races are going to be any more worthwhile!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I'd rather races were £1 cheaper and had no medal!

Triathletes in general are more inclined to suddenly bust out a long run I find, particularly those that do Ironmans. We have chap in the club that averages slightly less than me at just under 20 miles a week and he's doing a marathon every month, last one was 50k I think.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I still love my medals, it's not the be all and end all, like something being an accurate distance is, but it's still a nice keepsake. I keep race numbers and stuff too. Anything that personally motivates you to continue has to be a good thing - like this thread!

Races are getting wiser with not bothering to send race packs out in favour of on the day pick up, but funnily the prices never come down, so I expect no medal wouldn't be the automatic discount anyway.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Im with Reg id rather have no medal or T shirt. I don't collect medals if theres a choice, if they are in a goody bag ive given them to kids waiting with their parents at the end of races. Dan A who runs Xempo told that they get no end of complaints if they dont give out medals at races.

Good going reg, i ground out a sorry arsed 20 this morning still feeling a bit under powered from my vaccine. Ive sacked off next weekends Dorney mara, and rolled on to Goodwood 3 wks later.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I like having the medals from the big races but not for Dinton 5km! They're more for your couch to 5km types and running obsessives that keep spreadsheets, do you also have every football programme? Please tell me you do  :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    T shirts I agree on. Sometimes you'll get a decent hi vis one, which have some use to run in, but probably 95% are dreadful stuff you'd never dream of wearing again. Flimsy, too big, awkward material etc

Medals the reward for the masses. I can understand you big time "proper" runners not liking them ;)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    ps a good call TR. There's racing when you're not really in good condition to, and there's racing a marathon in that condition!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    13 today to finish a 57 mile week.

Up to Hazlemere in the first couple of miles, which means a 300 feet climb.

There's a choice of climbs, Amersham Hill is one I've never done, that's the direct route, then there's a couple of other hills, but my choice was through some woods (Lucas for the couple of locals), and then emerging in Terry Road.

It felt so trudgeworthy, like I was a beginner, and wondering how I was going to put in another 10+ miles after to be honest. Probably a mix of having gone back to lie down for a bit after eating, and then scaling the steepest climb in those couple of miles when still waking up :D 

Got easier of course, and out to Penn, turned round, then did it basically in reverse.
    7.17 all in.

Don't feel particularly sharp as such right now, but I suppose a lot of it is it all feels a bit no man's land without races, so no proper benchmarks etc.
    Have finished a couple of sessions needing to sit down for a bit after, but the paces looking in and around what I'm after.

So on we go! 
    Turnouts soon! And I'll allow myself doubles again from this week.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Interesting to compare those garmin stats to my PBs, Jools. I’ve just beaten the middle two, 14s slower than the 5k but nearly 4 minutes slower on the marathon. Not quite sure what it says about my training. Anyway, some targets for you! Casual Everesting again from you. You must be into elite Sherpa territory for number of ascents now. 

Reg - I really enjoyed the marathon races on Friday morning. Wish we had more of that sort of thing in this country. Good coverage and looked a brilliant course. Have got more and more into my gardening in the last couple of years after we planted ours from scratch. Would love to run it - although perhaps not if 2000 others were clogging the paths up. I’ve not measured bpm. But might have a look back on Fetch to assess it. Don’t really know what to compare it to though and my occasionally erratic WHR could play havoc with it. Fun fact: I have a 3-0 winning return vs Chrissie Wellington in two 10ks and a half. We will ignore her multiple world championship status! And I’m with you on the cheaper races for no medal - but each to their own. I quite like a (well-fitting) t shirt. I certainly haven’t bought one in about a decade. 

Great long run from you - heck of a jump. 

1:13 was a punchy start to the reps, SG. Good going to finish strongly. I’d take a 5k warm up jog to the start for that kind of elevation profile 😆. Enjoy the doubles and get some races booked in!

Hope you are recovering well now, TR. Good decision especially as Goodwood is not far away on so convenient for you. 

I know what you mean about not having energy left at the end of a marathon, Bus, but if you’d just won, I reckon you’d pull out a Mo-bot or two! Hope the hammies are on the mend.

Solid week of 72M. Taking the easy runs easier than in the past (8m/m+ rather than 7:15s).

After Monday’s intervals, felt recovered enough by Wednesday afternoon for a tempo session. The book called for 16 mins, 12, 10. Having enjoyed progressing the two mile laps of the racecourse a couple of weeks ago, decided to replace the planned time with 3 x two-miles. 6:20 pace, 6:15 then a 6:30. Horrifically low blood sugar on the final, which is very rare. Took the gamble of having some insulin before the run as a hard session usually pushes blood sugar level skywards. Evidently got things wrong... I think that plan worked well when running first thing in the morning and there was no insulin on board, but for afternoon sessions there is still enough kicking about from lunchtime. Lesson hopefully learned and a good session nonetheless: all in 12.2M at 7:12 pace.

In spite of a return of the westerly winds of a couple of weeks ago, planned on going buggy long yesterday. The lad had a very solid nap, and enabled our first (probably only 😆) 20M. 7:45 pace for my first twenty since mid August. I think down under they consider 30k the magic distance, but 20M certainly has a nice ring to it.

Saw the usual very friendly farmer shifting his sheep about - giving waves and going out of his way to pull over for me. Then noticed a Range Rover coming towards us at speed. It is a very straight road so probably had about 600m or more of warning. He had a strangely determined look on his face - slightly weird I thought. Then noticed the undercover Police BMW following behind, swiftly trailed by a marked up 4x4. I know such pursuits must happen all the time, but not on the quiet buggy lanes. Found myself wondering about the headspace of the driver determinedly trying to escape the cops.

My friend has finally pushed the button and entered Peterborough marathon. I have written him a loose plan and am looking forward to pacing him. Really exciting having a vicarious relationship with running as well! 

Four weeks until the Shepperdine Half marathon (see you there, Jools!). After yesterday’s run, the devil on my should is wondering if I could restamp the sub-3 marathon card... 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SQ - first reps tend to come out at the faster end, while you're still trying to find the level, but yeah that probably didn't help the later ones! Was even worse at the club at times, I recall an even sillier 68/69 to start some 400s with them once. And that wasn't even with any of the fast boys there - just an adrenaline overload.

If you can hold 7.45 comfortably messing aboot with a buggy, there's every chance you can take 50 or so seconds off a mile in a race for a "bit" longer. And if not, no harm done at all, you set a benchmark to work off.

With a Saturday race, I'll decide whether to do the next 5k session plan of 16x200 at 1500 pace, or keep it lighter with some segs (have lost a few recently ;) )
    Two more days off work gives a bit of flex either way.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    So you have a race booked in next Saturday? Which one? Exciting!

I guess it is a toss up between me doing the half, which I have trained for relatively specifically, or basically winging a marathon without any marathon pace work. Both are quite appealing - I guess any race is these days!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - so have you put a few entries in ?

SQ - you're defo in good nick, from the sessuons you've been doing. If you put another 20 in easter weekend and then another 2 wks out, you'd be in with a sub3 shout at shepperdine esp is you aim high 2.5Xs......i have to dodge the odd hillbilly goung too fast in the lanes but not a cop car chase.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    How have you never run up Amersham Hill SG??? Nice 13 though.

Impressive buggy LSR SQ and glad you didn't meet that escapee at a different point - not what you need in the circs!

No running for me this weekend given the message the hamstring gave me Friday! Plenty of walking instead though, which seems to be fine. 7.5M yesterday and 10/7M today. It's funny how a 10 mile walk seems twice as far as a 14M run! Quite enjoyable to be able to cover the ground in such a leisurely fashion for a change though.

Back to work tomorrow, with just the 640 unread emails accumulated this week to look forward to in the morning  :/
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Big miles out of nowhere Reg & at a decent pace.
    I’ve got all my medals & race numbers too SG. The numbers are filed in folders with race, position, date & time recorded on them. Medals used to hang off the corner of a bookshelf but got packed into a shoebox when I moved house 2 years ago. Still in there, in a loft now. Not acquired many since due to having 3 months out, regaining fitness then CoViD cancelling everything!
    I’ve a ridiculous quantity of race T-shirts so not bought one in 10 years other than a club vest. I like many of them but usually rotate the same half dozen.
    Easy to feel sluggish when the run starts with a big climb - can’t get the legs turning properly.
    Hope the walking rather than running sorts out the hamstring Bus. If not I’d recommend some loading exercises.
    Disappointing (not)parkrun yesterday for me. HR averaged MP effort which was matched by my pace. Legs were leaden: felt like wading through treacle. 26hrs recovery did me no favours - or wasn’t enough after 3 days of faster efforts including rather a lot of downhill quad battering.
    Much better run this afternoon: 20.3M@7:44 on undulating forest trails. Legs felt achey & stiff first thing but after a slow mile wu I was bouncing along at 7:xx pace. After 8M I upped the effort slightly & the pace dropped to 7:34 for 10M before slipping in mile 19 due to the 130’ climb 😆 Maintained the effort through to the finish though. Real confidence boosting run 4 weeks out: first 20M of ‘21
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    That's a cracking long run Jools. Family first day yesterday so just two hours indoors on the bike in the afternoon, oh and the 9 mile bike ride with the family of course.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice one Jools. That bouncy feeling doesn't come around too often, especially on a run of that length!

Son had a high temperature this morning so we're now waiting on the test result to see whether I'm allowed out to play at all in the next ten days! Just as the weather gets warm too  :'(
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Hope everyone had a good weekend. Good running from whats been posted. Bus - it's cooling down later in the week too!

The cameras were on the ladies race when Thommo stormed to the front..took them a while to realise too. Goes to show tactics wise, unless you are in that top 10-15 or so African elite marathoners...the marathon IS NOT a race, it's an exercise in pacing!

SG - Yes my Adios were £70, remember they are £130 RRP tho, so not too bad.

The 5k MK is called the Rocket 5k - and there is a bit of uphill too, but the reason why it's liked is not the profile, but the course, as it's basically one turn then straight to Stadium MK down the Saxon Way. You can just keep the speed up.

Decent weekend for me. Saturday - trot to the station and back with the kid, then 4 x (3 min, 2 min, 1 min) with 3 mins and 60 secs between reps.

17.5 Sunday, fell over going to find somewhere to have a shit, scratched my leg up, mud everywhere too. Idiot ;)

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    That's not good Bus. Hope it's not Covid for your family's health & your sanity's sake.
    Least it was only mud everywhere Simon :D 
    Legs are, unsurprisingly, tired today but as it was Monday track session with Y10 I gave them a hard time. Progressed to 400s after last week's 200s same pace plan but reduced the reps to 2 sets of 4. 5K pace for the 1st set of 400s & mile pace for the 2nd. Ferocious headwind on the back straight. Recovery was 200m walk into jog so finishing with the wind on the odd reps & into it on the even ones.
    Rep times were 94/95/92/92 off 80" & 90/89/89/89 off 90" so reasonably consistent & in line. Paces down on last week but more in line with current 5K & mile times vs last week's PB paces. Only one lad was able to stay ahead of me for the entire session. He has an 18:15 5K PB set during the 1st lockdown but, now he's doing some structured training, we should get that down to 17:xx by the time parkrun resumes.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SQ - Kempton have a stack of races to pick from, under the organiser Race Through, so I'll do one of those, probably the marathon ;)

Glad to see a partner in intricate race memories anorakism there Jools - I've got all the numbers filed away as well. Some don't see the point, but I love a little whisk through for motivation of all those memories. You even go slightly further than me logging the placings/times etc on the number. The spreadsheet covers that ;)

maniac combo of a 20miler at decent pace and reps by the way. If the latter had come out as quick as last time something would be wrong I think!!

SC - I'm sure 100 feet down helps too! No wonder it's not po10 friendly :D 
    Glad to see some outdoor toileting too. I used to tell Lit she can't claim to be a proper runner until she starts doing some of that.

I'd designated today as being a return to doubles, so a 7 & 3. Second run was suddenly pretty darn warm indeed. Having some work done at home, so barely ate in between the two runs, which added to the fun!

Just have to decide tomorrow whether to do a 16x200, or a more unstructured version around some segs. Probably no huge difference either way, so I might do the latter, and use the 200s as a "I need to work faster and harder" after I bobble out a loosener on Saturday!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    No wonder she abandoned the forum then SG :wink:

That's one of the least heroic running related injury stories ever Simon :smile:

Right, outside for some juggling then! (did toy with the idea of putting the turbo trainer in the garden, but will save that pleasure for in case it's needed later in the week!).