Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    In ten months or so since joining in, albeit with a six week hiatus, I think they was my first SG race report. Well done - a very solid first hit out. But where was the parking drama?!

Good long runs TR and Reg. 

Very tired since Thursday’s long run session. With a more condensed progression of distances, these definitely seem to take longer to recover from then in the past. Or I’m getting old 👴🏼.

And a slightly worrying stiff post/medial tib. A concern with the previous stress fracture on the same leg. Have managed a couple of short easy runs since, so will see what tomorrow brings. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Was your 6 week gap Sep-Oct 2020 SQ? 4 turnouts in that period!

Even I couldn't engineer any parking issues at Kempton. Spoilt.

I did have a look at one of their races somewhere in London though, and it all looks sketchy private carparks. I even google imaged one. I bet I could get in a right old mess round there :D 

Definitely go cautiously. Would be a disaster to break down just when you've got back to a good level, with the promise of not only your scheduled in race, but with the promise of loads more.

In fact I thought of you and Jools today, as on the Kempton station there was a sign about Shepperton!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Today made it racing in 20 consecutive years now :o

Not quite Giggs scoring in 20 successive Premier league seasons, but with some of the illnesses/injuries a long the way, I'll take it.
    2007 was the closest call, chicken pox, injury, footy all took me away, but squeezed a random 4miler in (I must beat that pb, from the same even the following year in 2008).

Clearly 2002 to the mid/late 2000s was more footy focused and casually racing, but still a reasonable record. Here's to the next 20 years?
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I haven't raced in over a year now! Still, managed to sneak 1 in in 2020, so as long as I do one this year that will give me 20 too!

Beautiful morning for a bike ride - 35M of Chilterns and Aylesbury Vale pre lunch.  76M of cycling, 20M of walking and 5M of running means 100M under my own steam this week 😊 Better than nothing I suppose!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    To 99% of people Bus that would seem an awful lot of exercise! Bit chilly first thing so I did a zwift group ride. Just under 4 hours in the garage motivated by the reward of a chocolate egg later, if I did the full 100 virtual miles! Mission complete and just under 19 hours for the week including girly stuff like yoga.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but to you Reg, that adds up to less than one bike ride  B)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    And for someone a little obsessed by numbers, the worse thing this week is it's made my weekly average height fall below 5000ft for the year AND I would have gone through the million metres of climbing since recording my runs barrier (368m to go!)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I can imagine you at the doctor's clinic Bus.
    "Have you been resting"
    "Yes sir, I've only done 5miles of running this week..."
    :D 

Heck of an overall week in those numbers.

Kept yesterday's race as an alibi to trim the long run if I needed to/fancied doing so, but in the end put the usual minimum long run in of 13. 7.19 pace.

Little sortie into Bourne End via a footpath near a strava segment named something about don't build on this land please. Have seen it before, but never clocked where exactly it was. It took me through to Hedsor, where you can go through a farm, and back up a really long steep climb to around where I'd started that section, but instead stayed safe, came back the other way, and up the 0.2mile very steep grassy bank.

A "well done" from some guy who had bizarrely sprinted up half of the hill, in hoodie and jeans, seemingly out for a walk with his family, and on into Flackwell and back, making it up to  a full 13 with an extra loop.

58mile week, which with the first race for ages in there is plenty.

Not a huge amount on the go race wise for April, so if anyone spots anything let me know.
    There seems to be one Dorney midway, but next to nothing else, without heading into central London with Runthrough. They have a Newbury version of yesterday 1st May which could be decent a little further ahead.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    see Beth Potter ran 14:41 5k at Podium, mightily impressive at a small event. Shows what Tri training volume can do, considering she’s 29 and turned to Tri 4 years back. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    She did 15.24 at the same venue in October, but probably quite importantly that was a women only race. She won it by 12seconds.

In this one, she was in a race with the men (3 women out of 33, but the other 2 women well clear at the back) in the  B race, and there's 10 of them within 3seconds of her time either way, so must have used that to her big advantage.

It can't be a shoe thing, as although she apparently wore some new Asics, she won't have been exactly wearing plimsols in October.

The Podium has become a real big thing now. It was known as a fast one back in 2018 when I went, but I was fortunate enoughto experience the A race as they only had 2 races and A race cut off was probably only sub 1730 or 18 or something. now it'd be sub 16 absolute minimum, probably 15.30.

There's 6 races now!
    Not entirely sure how they've seeded some of them, as the winner of the 6th race still did 15.43, winning by a ludicrous margin over 17.23 in 2nd. And back of the whole field just about under 20.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Incredible time, and probably not going to be recognised as a world record because not enough drug testers or something. I doubt anyone was expecting! As you say about tri training Reg, and coincidentally came on the same day some guy was asking whether tri training would hinder his chances of going sub 3 :smiley:

A few more walking mile this afternoon (4M). Far too nice a day not to get out again - warm enough for a t-shirt. Sleet tomorrow and the gritters out again mid week!

Oh, and why does RW try to insist on bloody US spelling of words?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It makes me laugh the idea of "drug testers" and big time stuff like that, as the Podium is literally some really obscure little cycle park in a tiny little northern town, and the facilities basically are... one small shed :D 

Makes the whole thing even more incredible really.

Sleet?! In early April!? Madness.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    minus 4 on Wednesday morning!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    More months of training and a mixed field so she had more of a race. Agreed she probably had super shoes back then, but theres been no end of world bests on the road in recent times, so the shoes are defo a factor.  Did the ladies 1/2 mara in Turkey yday get confirmed as a WR ?

Just read on fast running that there were 130 something PBs at podium yday?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    It's definitely the race to go to if you're in pb shape/have a soft pb/don't actually race that many 5ks on the road (like a lot of these top runners probably don't)

I think you'll still not magic a pb if you've been running good mileage for a decade or 2, whatever you have on your feet.
    I'm tempted to say that to one of our club bores, who for years moaned on about every elite runner being a doper, and has now turned it to the shoes.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Evening chaps.
    Great to read a race report again SG. Decent time too.
    Good effort on the resting Bus 🤣 Hope the hammy appreciates your sacrifices.
    My first race was a HM in 2006. Raced every year since.
    Realise I’ve not posted since Monday’s track.
    Recovery running Monday evening, Tuesday (double) & Wednesday.
    Thursday I took the lads down to the canal for a short Fartlek: 10x 1’hard/1’ jog so 5M@7:35 at lunch. Then did 20M@7:52 round the Eastern Severn Vale.
    Friday I biked 44M around the Wye Valley then jogged a 4M recovery which was surprisingly ok. Yesterday I was helping my daughter win showjumping rosettes all morning then got a flat 7.5M recovery in late afternoon along the Western Severn. Today I fuelled and rested all day before getting out late afternoon for 24M. Recovery pace but effort was higher due to residual fatigue & hills.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Decent stable of work there Jools.

Thought I'd make use of the bank hol to do a totally new route, so the plan was drive to Hurley and run out to Henley and back.

Took ages to get going, and then Hurley's carpark being rammed delayed things. A drive to Henley, before thinking better of dumping the car down some random lane, and then back to Hurley, where finally parked up, and about 45mins later on :D 

Finally got running, and a nice relaxed offroader. Exceptionally windy by the river, and my initial hopes that the wind was only on the way out was misfounded.
    However, not too bad for a lot of the return and back in for 7.24ish sort of average.

Only got home about 2.30pm, to look forward to a few footy games.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    TR, i watch a few vids by Ben Parkes and his partner, quite entertaining at different races, from 5k to ultras.

Looks like the 5k at Goodwood was a right old bungle in December! ( I don't think I remember you mentioning this, but I suppose there's been a load of pages on here since then, if you did :) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SmBEB5bymU

I like the way at the end, there's loads of Strava posts from the Dorney September 5th long course I did :D 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - thats a video of some guy on a long run?........no idea re Goodwood in December, thats just after i had CV, so i had to defer my place to next December. What happened?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You've got to actually watch the full vid TR :D 

There's a bit of footage from the race and quite a bit of explanation about it.
    I know you're a busy man though so I'll summarise ;)

Idiotically designed course of about 700m out and back, then a lap. Goon lead cyclist turned round way too early, meaning they ended up with 4.5k :o 

He does some better vids in fairness, he did a Battersea Park one, holding a selfie/camera for big chunks of it! Still did just over 17, but then at peak he's a mid 15 5k guy and 2.25 marathoner.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Morning 6 done. Will treat today as if it's a classic Monday, with a 6 & 4 double.
    Track tomorrow.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Hope Everyone had a nice weekend.

SG - Decent effort there and the first 'race report' of the new era (we hope). Decent training from everyone else by the looks, nice to see the finer detail on Strava too for a few of you.

Was thinking of entering a 3000 at Harrow on 22/4, but I think i'll just train this month and race from next month (apart from the Watford xc thing I have Saturday).

Had my Pfizer Booster Wednesday afternoon, so didn't run Thursday and just had a little jog about Friday. No side effects again, although the jab was a bit firmer, so my arm was a bit more sore not classed as a proper side effect though.

Saturday did 10 x 2mins out in to the country - the NB Rebel are starting to bed in a bit now, still don't think I'd use them in a race tho.

Sunday was the LBAC 'Langmay Trophy' which was a hilly 4.9 race, handicapped against your predicted time. Did 27.45, so reasonably happy with that, getting into low 28's for a real 5m. Only 2 mins slower than my PB...but i'm glossing over that ;)

Steady 11 yesterday.

Busy week this week - LBAC 'Stag Trophy' Wednesday, the 4k blast around the houses, back to Luton training Thursday and that final Watford xc on Saturday. Should sharpen me up a bit....
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like even your "waiting to get going" period is livening up there SC.

April looks fairly barren for races, but May onwards looks to be picking up decently.
    Can imagine all being well that come the summer we'll be swamped with options, which will be brilliant.
    Runthrough are doing a great job at the moment as perhaps the lead company in the London/south area for keeping races going. I hope they keep their numbers up once the club runners return to their more traditional choice of races.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Yeah - We need a high profile race down south, there's a good selection in the NW at the moment! I see the Sri Chimnoy ones at Battersea are all cancelled?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Are they cancelled? Or just not yet set up with dates due to all the doubts so far?

There was a version of the Podium 5k near Crawley/Haywards Heath yesterday, branded under "5k pb".

The top race had loads of 14xx guys in it.

No idea how regular they will be. Was one in December.
    Wonder if the MK ones will come again?

We all need to keep our eyes out.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I started thinking about London Marathon 2022 today after some GFA/Championship post on the Sub 3 group (FB) today. Has to be done by early October so need to find a marathon, possibly in the summer which won't help. Champs time now 72:50 for a half so that's out of reach now, whereas I would have held out a slight chance with a good prep (Wokey) of the old 75 minute mark with some magic shoes. In contrast GFA probably fairly straight forward for v45.

Anyway back to today and it was 10 x 0.2m hill reps @ 14% on a grassy hill by the Thames, I had a large amount of dear for company so all in all a rather pleasant backdrop for some elevation gains. Not looking to hit tempo efforts or anything, just building strength at a steady effort. 7 miles all in with 1,759ft of elevation at 8:16 average.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - oh i see, i wondered why he expected folks to watch a video of his long run. All of the Goodwood races start and finish on the same timing mat, as you say you run the the wrong way for a portion and then round a cone, to bring up the extra distance.......i guess they'll be carefully setting the turn around cones for a few weeks time then.

Reg - you could cruise a gfa time somewhere low key (like Goodwood), probably need a few minutes buffer due to the faster champs time, and the super shoes effect.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I might enter the Dorney marathon on 3rd October, it's a couple of weeks after Wokingham half though so I wouldn't fancy racing both flat out. Quick google suggests Gloucester marathon on 1st August, could be a bit warm but I have no other races to worry about sabotaging. 

The minimum requirement is 3:10 but I guess something like 2:55 would make it safe, not sure though.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Id have thought that 5mins buffer would be ok, but it was 2 or 3 mins last time, so maybe a  bit more would be required.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Really missed London marathon all dayers...thats two now! Hopefully the pubs might be open in the Autumn.

Luckily got my evening run in before the snow shower last night. Bizarre leaving the house this morning with snow on the grass and cars.