Overdone it?

Comments

• Bit of a random week this week.

0,5,0,0,0,0,18 for 23 total.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That is random  Skinny. 

I've done 3 bike sessions and a 4 Wednesday  and a 5 Friday. 6 later today. 
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    That is a fairly random week, Skinny. How come the Sunday run was so far?

Always best to keep it easy the fortnight after a marathon, DT. By coincidence on Friday I ended up running with someone who would have finished quite close to you at Dorney but he started in an earlier wave, by the looks of things he paced it very similarly to you with a nice ramp up at the end to come in in just under 2:51. 

30 odd miles again for me last week including a 7 mile time trial hosted by a local running group; it was basically 3.5 miles out along the coast path and then back over the fields, with about 1,000ft of climbing over the 7 miles, with an absolute sod of a hill at halfway. The course is marked out but there's still a bit of navigation required to keep things interesting. I'm currently 7th out of 65, but there's still today for people to post their times. I did waste a couple of minutes taking photos and having a pee, so without that I'd have been a bit higher up. They do a different route around different sections of the coast path every month so I'll look to do a few more of them this year. 
  • SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Haha - a time trial where you stopped and took photos  :D

We're getting a kitchen fitted so Wed and Thursday the timing of my day was just really messed up and a run didn’t happen; Friday was a beautiful day but for some reason I CNBA, Sat was golf and a walk with my sister who was up from Bristol and so Sunday was my penance!

Actually really enjoyed it - set off at 6:50 and my beard frosted up and then defrosted about half way round and was dripping wet by end. It was also week 1 of my 16 week plan although obviously I didn’t stick to the plan at all!!
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Skinny- Presumably that's a 16 week marathon plan? If you can do 18 on week one then that's not a bad starting point. 

DT - How's the recovery going? Everything feeling ok?

Tommy - I love that you are currently 7th despite all the photo stops! Nice work  :)

My week was slightly curtailed by a little niggle. But I think nothing serious and I'm hoping to get back up to speed this week. I did manage my best session since the comeback started which gives me hope that the training is starting to filter through. 
  • SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Yes - at moment there is no commitment to run a marathon at the end of it but there is a local low key marathon which is flat on 25th July so I thought I would train towards it and decide nearer the time.

Even if I do run it I will not race it - I'd just like to get to a start line and run all the way to the finish - when the GFA for London was 3:20 both were probably possible but think 3:15 is 5 mins too much towards a race zone.

Anyway see how it goes. The plan is mainly easy running up to about 60 miles max one week so lots of scope for me not to make it to the end anyway based on past experience.

Fingers crossed the niggle fades away - always hard to decide when a niggle is more than a niggle; normally it's when it actually stops you running!

• kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭
    Great race report DT, hopefully we can have more over the coming months.

Tommy nice elevation on the time trial  :o

Mr V hopefully nothing serious

Managed another 40ish miles last week, out later for 400m reps.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Skinny, surely you're competitive nature will take over.If you do the training then there's nothing to lose come raceday in going for sub 3.10 surely?

Tommy, that sounds fun, in your type of running fun sense. Yep, I am taking this two weeks very easy, then i'll start picking it up. Unbelievably I weighed in this morning exactly the same weight as the last time I weighed 3 days before Dorney, so still 10'4!

Mr V, hope the niggle has settled. I think I am starting to get aches that weren't there last week purely through lack of activity!

Kevin, solid consistency. Any races planned?

I'm off out for 6m later with 5 x 1 min strides in the last mile, just to start waking things up a bit.

• DT19 said:

Skinny, surely you're competitive nature will take over.If you do the training then there's nothing to lose come raceday in going for sub 3.10 surely?

We'll see - about 14 weeks too early for this debate but my desire to RUN a marathon (having properly trained) is greater than my desire to do London.

My desire not to repeat the misery of Manchester is also high on my list of considerations.
  • Is 3.10 GFA for over 50s ?

I did 5.3 miles last night. It felt like I had forgotten how to run after only 5 miles last week.

• 3:15 - used to be 3:20  :'( - not sure why DT has written 3:10.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Presumably as there's now a limited number of spaces for GFA so you need a bit of a buffer to make sure you get in; my mate ran 2:59.xx as a senior thinking he'd got a GFA but turned out he needed 2:57 or something.  
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    I think because those times don't guarantee a place. There's a quota now, so it's the fastest 1000 (or whatever number they allocate) in the age group under the GFA qualification time.

[x-post with Tommy]
  • Even more reason not to bother trying.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Correct, I think you need to be just over 5 mins faster to be certain. Therell be some pent up demand for London 2022 and a lot of people coming out of lockdown in great shape. 
  • 7m easy effort @ 7.26 min/mile at lunchtime. I think I'm going to boringly report all my running on here, just to keep myself accountable to myself as I try to build things up again. Felt very lumpen and awkward again. No floating along yet.
  • Championship times are absolute though aren't they DT ? And not graded for age ...
  • If it helps muddy feel free.

I've done 5 and 6 so far this week just so you don't feel you are boringly reporting alone. 3 to 4 of the 6 today were supposed to be at brisk pace but my legs are still feeling the 18 a bit so I settled for just doing the miles.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes 2.39 or 1.14 age regardless. 
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Hasn’t it been changed to 1:12.30 for a half to go off the champs start for men?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Really? I thought it was strange they left it at 1.14 but to be fair I always felt sub 2.45 was much easier anyway than sub 1.15 so the 2.40 thing seemed to work with 2.45. I'd say sub 1.12 is pushing a far higher level. It's far easier to find 5 mins off mara pace but 3 off half is a big  ask. 
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/enter/how-to-enter/championship-entry

As you say sub 1:12.30 takes things to another level, we probably have 1 or 2 people at our club capable of that , and maybe 5-6 capable of sub 75.

It’s moved to sub 1:28 for the women which again is a bit of a step up 
  • 30 mins fartlek for me this morning covering 4 miles - a mild wake up call to my fast twitch circuitry.

• 8 country miles for me in the sun, 
    I did three 7:30mm in the middle just for fun.

There simply aren't enough rhyming posts on this thread.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Tommy, yes, we've got two lads with recent times below that then no one else close.

I had my first taste of running a bit faster yesterday with 5m easy, immediately followed by 5 x 1 minute strides off 1 min. Covered just under 1.5m in 6.26 then 6.23. Started off at recent mara pace and that seemed an effort but then things started clicking into place.

Spin this morning, nice to be back at the gym.

• 5km last night with a few 100m sprints on grass. 1 hour of walking at lunch yesterday.

Today 5.5m at lunchtime in 39 something with a faster mile in the middle at 6.35 min/mile. Need to be getting 10k in under 40 mins or these sorts of runs where it's the only one in the day.

Ruined it all with a couple of fried egg sandwiches for lunch.
  • 20 this morning along the Roman Wall in the sun - very pleasant until the last couple of miles which were a bit of a slog A few weeks now before my next pair of long runs.
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Skinny - sounds very nice. Had you planned on doing 20? You seem to have built up distance pretty quickly.

Muddy - Have you sorted your shoe issue yet? I'm struggling a bit with shoes as well. I think my lighter training ones possibly caused the foot niggle from last week. My heavier workhorses though feel pretty terrible on anything quicker than an easier run. 

My foot has survived the week so far, although my calf and ankle area have felt rather tight, I guess as a compensation kind of thing. Did a 12x 90 second session yesterday which was a bit of a shock to the system. Been a while since I've done any faster end stuff.
  • Hopefully it will ease off Mr V and you will be able to run through it although 12 x 90 sec session suggests can’t be too bad.

i intended doing 18 but I’ve been that route before on a 16 and wanted to get to the next village which was a little further than I thought.

Plan was 2 18s, couple of weeks gap, 18 & a 20, couple of weeks gap 20 and a 22 then one final 22 with 3 weeks to go - today’s 20 probably means I can go 20 & 20 on next pair which is good.
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    That's very impressive Skinny, I struggle with 10 miles right now.

Mr V - My solution has been to shoe goo old pairs of trainers so far. I wear my trainers in a really specific area (see picture of gooed up trainers). Hope the foot holds up.