Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Back at it today with a Tuesday 10. Went for  a progression approach with 2 x 5 mile blocks with 10 sec uplift per split from 7.1x to 6.3x.
    Felt nice and nippy and hit all the numbers. The second 7.1x and 7.0x splits felt like easy recoveries. Treated myself to a 6.17 final split as I felt quite good and wanted to squeeze all the quality from the session.

6.51 average for the whole thing. Nice to feel stronger again.
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    BTW, the comment "I’m impressed with how little damage the race seemed to exact on you. Wow. I think you have lots more to come" was for DT. Oops!

Gul, nice doubling of mileage. All felt good today?

Got 8M in this morning. Beautiful day of sunshine and blue skies (and 55 degrees). Spring was in the air. We've have two weeks of absolutely beautiful sunny weather. Such a contrast to the cold winter. Love it. Pretty soon though I'll be complaining about how hot is all the time (only to rave about cool fall weather later). :)
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - you'll soon be chalking up lots of swimming miles again.
    GD - strong session.
    VTr - sunny and cold here (not particularly cold by your standards though!) 
    Took a rest rather than rushing back into it, and did some exercises instead this morning.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Sunny here, too, both yesterday and today.  7 with 10 sets of strides yesterday and 12 steady today (8.03s).  I do seem to have had a touch of 'pace lift' these last few weeks, which is quite encouraging.  I also had the happy Bristolian sign of spring both yesterday and today: hot air balloon ascents!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

VT-  good to hear from you. Sounds like life is very busy with the work, kids and what I was expecting to read as nominal running is in fact pretty considerable. Keep at it and hopefully you can find the right race for the Autumn.

oo- hope you are enjoying the return to the pool.

gdawg- nice work on the 20 and the recent session. You're in strong shape with a full campaign to come.

Gul, hope things are good with the injury now.

Jools, good news on the pace improvement.

I've had nothing of note to report and getting a bit bored of updating strava with uninteresting runs. I was pleased to get back to the gym this week however with spin classes Monday and today. I went out for drinks and food last night so felt a bit squiffy this morning, but spin seemed to blow the cobwebs. Yesterday I had my first go at running beyond easy with a 5m easy run, moving into 5 x 1 min long strides off 1 min jog. The first rep at around mp felt a bit of an effort, but after the 1 min jog I felt warmed up and settled into them. I'm going away tomorrow for a long weekend then will start pushing things back up as hoping to do a 10k race on 20th May.

I weighed in yesterday and was surprised to find myself exactly the same weight as I was when I weighed in just before Dorney. I don't deserve to be that weight, that's for sure!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Make that post-PB glow last as long as possible, DT.

Nice news on the pace uplift, Jools.

Track tonight. A bit of a test after the quality session yesterday so didn't go mad.
    Session was 15 x 500m with 100m walking recs with each effort at sub-6 pace.

First few reps were around 6 then got into it and got stronger as it went on, final rep was 1.41 so 5.22 pace. Nice to feel sharp 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's a big old track sesh GD especially on tired legs. Busy week here with training and getting back to normal and Mrs OO returming to work. No pubs for me yet but great to see life returning to normal.
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    DT, makes you wonder how much you weighed right after the marathon, eh? Nice to see the weight steady. Keep it that way and maybe you'll be even lighter as the season progresses.

GDawg, nice session indeed. Sounds quite hard. Fast going.

9M easy with 8 striders for me today (and then a mile after with my daughter:)).
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Jools - sounds like you're making good progress.
    DT - have a good weekend. Not 100% convinced all is right yet, but feel okay to carry on.
    GD - another big session.
    VTr - nice run and nice way to end.
    4 easy miles and still a bit achey. The second half felt surprisingly harder than normal - must have lost quite a bit of fitness!
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Gul, it goes quick but comes back fast too! Another step or two forward. After 11 days consecutive, day off for me (but really want to get out!). Too much work do to before end of day tomorrow. Maybe a Friday night run will be in order;)
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    VTr - let's hope it does come back quick! Hope you get your work finished and have time for a night run.
    Another 4 easy miles this morning. Getting a bit concerned about all the aches and pains - just getting older I guess!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Of course it will come back and you'll enjoy seeing the improvement Gul👍
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Gul - build frequency and then distance, get moving and keep moving. Maybe get yourself a roller to roll about on?
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    7 miles with a clubmate this morning at a spritely 7.45m/m
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    G-Dawg said:
    Back at it today with a Tuesday 10. Went for  a progression approach with 2 x 5 mile blocks with 10 sec uplift per split from 7.1x to 6.3x.
    Felt nice and nippy and hit all the numbers. The second 7.1x and 7.0x splits felt like easy recoveries. Treated myself to a 6.17 final split as I felt quite good and wanted to squeeze all the quality from the session.

6.51 average for the whole thing. Nice to feel stronger again.
    <raised eyebrow> And what do you think I am going to say, GD? Does one really "squeeze quality"by pushing pace or does one risk pushing beyond an acceptable threshold that might instead push the musculoskeletal system to its limit? <raises eyebrow again> Surely there is more to be gained by sitting comfortably within the pace range for each rep rather than pushing towards the upper end and pushing a tempo interval session into another zone? I can see you have been getting up to your old tricks with me away. Seriously though - would hate to see you trip up here when you are obviously enjoying your fitness so backing off a bit and practising self control will definitely reap dividends. Promise. I speak as someone who finds it hard when the bit is between the teeth too!

Good to see Jools ticking over with some extra natural speed back (diligence always pays off!) and Gul back in action (second TR's roller advice and don't forget the foot exercises!). Great to see you are back VTr and also running in between saving us from viral destruction. Some solid running by OO I spied on Strava (what nut job runs a marathon around a track?).

Special mention has to go to DT however. So delighted for you that it all fell into place and you managed to race 26.2. Loved the race report and photos - vicarious racing is almost as good as the real thing! Onwards and upwards (or downwards if you are talking marathon time).

So I have been cautiously resting a swollen foot these past two months. Physio is fairly sure it is bone stress but no fracture so I have mostly cycled and worked on strength and conditioning (yawn). Next week I am to start skipping and prepare myself for a return to hopping from one leg to the other (ie running). I can't wait.  :)
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Is skipping less stressful than running MsE?
    Glad you are nearly back on your feet running 🤞
    My hip has been groaning after last weekends 21 miler and is still not right, so a cut back week with 4 swims and no speed work. I've got a 10k race next weekend then a 3k track race on 17th May, so should definitely be shifting up the gears.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I think if you skip either the grace of a boxer then it's less, if you skip like me, which is akin to an elephant dancing then it's far from it. 

MsE, hope things clear up for you. Thanks, time to start thinking towards the next phase. Sub 80 half is the big target gor this year now. 

Gul, getting fit again at turbo speed us great fun. 

Just away down in Dorset for a long weekend with a few complete rest days thrown in. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sub 80 should be a piece of cake now DT. Enjoy the break. Likewise I'm in Keswick and its glorious 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    7 with strides early doors yesterday (then spent the morning interviewing prospective pupils aka trainee barristers). 20 today on fresher than usual legs in lovely conditions, which probably explains the 7.47 average.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Cheers, MsE, I know you're right and if I was in campaign I probably would have been more disciplined. Funny enough, I instructed a club mate at the track on Wednesday to stick with the set pace and not overcook it. Oh the irony!  :D

Standard LSR yesterday, 16 miles half road and half trails. Felt quite good for a change in chilly but sunny conditions.

Closed the week out with a 5 mile recovery today to bring up 46 for the week. With no spring marathon, this will probably be my biggest ever April total. I really need to find a HM somewhere, I need a race.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    MsE, meant to say I'm sorry to hear you've been sidelined again, and hope the foot improves.

Nice miles, GD.  What are these races of which you speak?!!
  • I remember all too well the hopping phase of recovery from my broken ankle. The hopping itself wasn't too bad, but my calf muscle had withered away and my balance had deserted me!

Mallory Park 10k today. First race since XC in Jan 2020 and first 10k since summer 2019. I was in the sub 40 race, and from the predicted times I genuinely feared I'd be last. It was 6 and a half laps, and at the end of lap one and two I was back in 37th/38th (out of 43 starters). But I finished 23rd in 39.05 and a big negative split. They didn't give a half way time and the Garmin was well out due to the laps, but on Garmin stats my miles were
    6.09 (shit, that's too fast, better chill my beans a bit)
    6.15 (still faster than planned but actually I feel fine so lets see how it goes)
    6.16 (yup, this is fine)
    6.09 (fook it, put your foot down a bit, you're barely breathing)
    6.07 (isn't 10k supposed to hurt more than this?)
    6.02 (well sub 40 is definitely on, but it's waaaay further than 0.2 to the finish line)
    last 0.39 miles at 5.26 pace (the clock is heading for 39, can I beat it, and can I beat the Halesowen girl?) (No, not quite, and yes, got her!)

Everyone measured it long, but it has a certificate so most likely GPS error. Strava reckons I ran 10k in 38.01, but we all know that Strava PBs are great big lies!

Any way, that's my third fastest 10k ever, my fastest since my glory year of 2014 and a V40 PB. After 5 months off with a broken ankle in 2020. I'm happy with that!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    MsE - sorry to hear you've been benched again. You are showing amazing patience and diligence. Hope you can get hopping soon :) The only rollers I have are for painting and I broke one of them at the weekend. I have done some foot exercises, but that's where the problem lies at the moment.
    OO - hope the hip is okay after your cut-back.
    DT - beautiful place to go for the weekend.
    Jools - great long run.
    GD. - nice weekly miles. Hope you can find a race.
    Speedy - excellent return to racing - you're rightly chuffed with that :)
    Rest from running this weekend - celebrated Mrs GD and my 28th wedding anniversary. 4 miles this morning and still getting the same pain. Not sure if I should be running or not.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Happy anniversary Gul and sorry to hear the pain continues. I tend to keep running through injuries but not always the best advice.
    Great running Speedy you must be chuffed. I've got a similar one next week with multiple laps. I'll be very happy with a sub 39.
    Were you interviewing on a Sunday Jools?

I ran with my new neighbour in Keswick yesterday and notched up a 50 week with 4 swims. Hip still not 100% but a track sesh today will be the real test 🤞
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    great work, Speedy - well done !!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul, as with OO, I tend to get a feel for something that needs rest and treatment and something I can run through. I'd never get a decent months training in if I stopped every time there was an ache. Perhaps it's worth though getting it looked at? Happy anniversary.

Jools, nice 20. I had a similar spring in my step whilst out running, from 2 days complete rest.

Gdawg, some god weekend miles there.

OO, decent miles and good to get the swimming back. Hope that hip settles. Yes, if I pick up where I left off, sub 80 should be well on the cards. It's just finding a half that is well timed as I am due to be in Lanzarote for 10 days from end of May and it makes the two I am eyeing up unfeasible. But whether I go remains to be seen!!

Speedy, super run there. I love that feeling of, 'oh this is too fast' to then 'actually it's fine'. Do you think that's been a long time coming or are you seeing early returns on the coaching investment?

A nice few days away without trying to squeeze running in, though it only resulted in 2 non running days as I ran on travel days. got an easy7m in last night when back. HR was higher than it has been, which I put down to warmer temps and a few nights of drinking and eating, but legs felt great so let them select the pace a opposed HR.

Only 23m for the week. Should be pushing 30 this week, though i've my covid jab Thursday morning so that could go either way based on the experience of others. The schedule is planned around that with a light run pre jab, rest day Friday and a light run Saturday, so delaying my progression a little but nothing significant in the scheme of things.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Interviewing on a Saturday, OO.  Pretty standard at the Bar, given otherwise we all have to be able to take the same day out of court work.

Well done, Speedy.  

Happy anniversary, Gul!

A steady 6 for me this morning as a recovery run.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    You're ticking off those 20 milers nice and easy Jools.  Are you going to target any races before the London plan kicks off?

Sounds like you're building the mileage back sensibly DT.  I ran a couple of hours after my first jab (Pfizer).   

You must be pleased the pool has reopened OO.  Hopefully the hip gets through the track test OK.

Is that the hamstring that's giving you the pain Gul?  Sounds like a trip to the physio might be required.

Well done on the 10K result Speedy - that's a great time.  I'm sure there is more to come.

You're nailing those quality sessions G-D and good mileage for the month.  Sounds like you need a race.

Hope the rehab programme gets you back running soon MsE.

Hope it all comes together in the final week for Goodwood TR.

Good to see you making the most of the glorious weather VT.  I'm sure the rest day will have done you good.

Slowly building the miles and fitness here.  Managed to extend the Sunday run to 16 miles, so first long run of the year and 70 miles for the week.  Still feeling very slow at the moment but the lack of discipline on the weight management front may be partly to blame.

I'm trying to find a suitable Half Marathon in mid/late August (so 5 weeks before Berlin).  The spring Berlin Half Marathon has been rescheduled on 22 August but there must some doubt on this going ahead and I can't see the weather being conducive to a quick time.  I'd be tempted by the rescheduled Vitality Big Half, which is also on the same date, if places become available.  If anyone hears anything on this, let me know.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - 50 miles and 4 swims is great going. Presumably that's not the neighbour who reported you to the police?!
    DT - recovery coming on nicely. I probably should get it checked but...
    SBD - 70 miles is just a light week for you ;) hope you can get a HM sorted.
    5 miles today. I'll just carry on with the easy miles and see what happens. I don't think it's a running injury so hoping it won't make it any worse.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    You are surely made of Teflon OO and the hip is hanging on for the (metaphorical) ride (swims and 50 mile week runs!)

Gul - I agree that venturing back into the runs at a gentle pace is a good approach. Exploratory in nature and good for the soul. I'll be doing that next week after my week of skipping. Belated happy anniversary!

Speedy - So made up for you! Keep doing it for us old birds! Working on strength definitely helps. I did two years of weights when I was rehabbing from surgery and it left me so much stronger and more robust that the fast paces came at much less effort and after effect. I try to maintain decent strength now.

You sound as if your are recovering well from the marathon DT. Sub-80 is yours for the taking.

Jools - great to see you diligently back to form. Will be interesting to see how your fine tuning prep for the marathon plays into it all.

GD - [insert whatever you think I might say that works best to slow you down and avoid injury].

SBD - you never fail to impress with your mileage. Do you think that is your sweet spot or are you aiming higher? And as for feeling slow and heavier, I have decided that is a much healthier place to be when in training. It is simple to drop to race weight nearer a race whereas running heavier in the middle of a training cycle is a useful prophylactic against overtraining and also develops the CV system more efficiently. A bit like training on a heavier cyclocross bike for a road race.  

Skipping. In my mind I was like this but in reality it was like this . But it is all good prep for running again next week right?  :)