Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Another excellent weekend jools, i like your long reps session backed up by a long run.

Wardi - hopefully the fizz fixes you, even if it does involve a few days off.
  • TR - Build up races are a miss. I was tempted by a half marathon next Sunday which is less than an hour away but to be honest I'm probably better served by 14 miles at marathon pace.
    OO - Nice thing about being pretty much last out of the water is all the overtaking you get to do? Yes Peterborough is still the plan. Sounds like an attractive 20 miles.
    Jools - nice running. As TR said, great to get those in back to back.
    Wardi - I remember you saying so thought I'd drop that one in. Things looking far more rosy for Newcastle than a few weeks ago. Nice to help out and get some running in as well.

Rest day today. Big appetite!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - you could do the 1/2 as an untapered effort. But the 14m in the 20 will be a very good marathon predictor.

Monday mlr became 8m today.

Set the VHS for mastermind tonight.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Yes I heard Dan was on quizzing duty tonight, can't wait!
    Enjoy your choice of nosh Joe.
    5.4m steady today, still a bit on the cool side but couldn't resist getting out in blue skies & sun.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    What a boffin!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Jools - Good back to back weekend sessions, good to get the mara sessions below 17 minutes, all going the right way.
    Wardi - Hope the physio does his/ her magic.
    Went swimming and to the gym yesterday, to mark the return of normalcy, though this is the first time I've been to our gym in several years of living here. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Marathon List (time for one of these) Add yourself

OO - Afan Valley Trail Marathon, 25th June 2021

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - you might ache a bit today then.

From memory i have (all deferred entries) Goodwood (April and July), Brighton, vlm, Abo and Goodwood (December). Ill have to check the dates.

Frosty here today ! 2m easy, 8m av 6.49, all miles between 6.46 and 6.51 so that meant that the effort dropped after the earlier lumpy miles, although im happy with that as the plan was to run some controlled  approx 6.4Xs and not 8m as hard as possible.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    That's quite a collection of marathons TR! The 8m might have been harder than you wanted but still a good workout (plus it has to feel hard at this stage; that's standard ;) )! Good final long run too.

Wardi - I remember LM in 2008. Poured down with rain and then as it dried out and I was feeling good I was hit with the need for a loo stop (which ultimately cost me my target). Good luck with the physio.

Joe - cracking 9m. I can't run at that effort for that long outside a race. In fact if I manage 8m @ Mara effort, on the roads I'm chuffed with myself. Nice 22m as well. What's your target MP?

OO - sounds like an idyllic 20m!

Last week saw about 35m in total I think, but great DIY progress. Yesterday was a case of making hay whilst the sun shines (or at least when the snow stops), ahead of upcoming diy (building materials being delivered later today), as I managed what I've got in my schedule at full volume range for the first time in years - 11m Hills+stuff / 6m with strides.

Hills+stuff was 6 x 0.4m hills with jog backs, but swapped the last jog back for a 30s standing recovery (after standard protocol sprint finish on the last rep), and then into 3.7m @ 6:27. Usually hills+stuff would have a rep at 10k pace before the hills, and then straight into the steady section without recovery after the last hill rep, but I'm not strong enough for that yet.

Best part is I feel good enough for a (hopefully) 2hr long run today.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good to see you TT, hope the 2hrs went well

Wardi - looks like Charlie is racing Sunday, probably at Saffron W. He has gone and cut foam out of a pair of Next%.
  • TR - sounds like a good job done today. That marathon list is terrifying.
    OO - better late than never to hit the gym. Will all come good I'm sure.
    TT - crikey that is some session. I wouldn't be up for a long run the next day after that. MP is (hopefully) 6:28 a mile to sneak under 2:50.

Swapped 10 miles with 6x1k @5k pace today for 11 miles with 7x3 mins. Was looking for around 6 min mileing on my ons and managed that so a good session on a lovely evening.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. nice MP session.  Nothing like a bit of shoe surgery to give Charlie a warm glow. :)
    TT.. nice work on both fronts, shoe horning runs in between DIY projects takes some juggling.  We got married in June 2008 & Mrs Wardi ran London that year.  The training knocked a few lbs off her so she had to make a couple of visits to the wedding dress shop to be re-measured!
    Beautiful morning so as this may be my last run for a few days (possible physio instructions!) I took advantage and clocked 13.3m.  Had a couple of hours of rain late afternoon so definitely got the best half of the day. 

Wardi.. VLM 3rd Oct, Barca Nov 7th

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Cheers TR. It went alright considering. My legs were knackered - even the smallest of uphills saw me slowing, and the ~0.5m uphill drag to 9.5m nearly finished me, but I got it done.

Wardi - I love that with Mrs Wardi! Lol. Nicely done on the MLR.

Joe - it's quite fun, in a beast yourself sort of way. Running at a decent clip after hills takes concentration. I came up with the session years ago because I've got a mental block on hills - 6 reps is enough for me, but I've found wrapping some faster/steadier running around them makes for a really good strength session.

I managed my 2hrs ish yesterday. Legs went dead on the uphill to 9.5 and still hadn't recovered by 12 so I picked up the pace for a change of rhythm which helped. 17 as 12 easy (7:26), 5 medium (6:57).

Not sure what today will provide as I've got to (amongst other bits) rip out a fitted hob/oven and fit a freestanding cooker (Indesit to match the washing machine for those interested seen as it's one of our long standing discussion topics ;) ) around work, but hopefully at least 1 run and one gym session (booked in for 6pm). 2 runs would be ace but unlikely.

No marathons for me this year but I'm tentatively targetting a HM in September. If things go well I'd like to think a championship time is a possibility (but too early to call that yet).
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    TT - thats a good looking 17m run, great to see you back in the swing of it.
    Joe - a nice fast session d&d, coming together nicely for Peterborough. Thats my thinking with the gym and tri training. If plans work out I've an 8 hr ultra and 2 sub 3 marathons in the space of 5 weeks from late Aug, so trying new things to get fitter without causing injury. 
    Wardi - Hope its good news from the physio. Nice 13m+ run banked.
    TR - I was aching but back in the pool for 1650m this morning. Plenty of marathons for you.
    8.5m last night with 4 @ 6.35 in sunshine and blue skies. Love it.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    7 with 10 sets of strides yesterday and 12 steady (8.03s) this morning.  2 beautiful mornings, and both times the classic Bristol symbol that spring is here: hot air balloons taking off!
  • Wardi - very nice run. You might be surprised by the physio. Last time I visited I expected a long lay off and they said I could make things better whilst still running. Maybe just what I wanted to hear?!
    TT - Big plans there (running wise) with plenty of time to achieve. You can get a championship place for London 2022 if you run a sub 1:12:30 half! Simples!
    OO - That is tough. You'll need strength and some sensible racing to make that happen. Proper challenge though.
    Jools - Sounds lovely. Consistent miles and pace.

12.7m for me today. Some off road and canal trails so slower than usual and plenty of time on feet. Only realised today that London 2022 is back to April. Much better for me than October so fingers crossed for a qualifying time at Peterboro.

RJR - Peterboro 22nd May, Liverpool 24th Oct
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Sounds lovely having a balloon spectacle while out running Jools.
    TT.. our fitted kitchen (new 5yrs ago) has an oven that tells you when it wants cleaning. :o  Good luck with the install, is it combined gas/elec?
    Joe.. sounds like a nice run, I guess you know the London qualifier is now closer to 2:55 than 3 hrs?  You should do it given your current speed.
    OO.. that's a tough & packed programme.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for travel to European countries later in the year, I like my overseas marathons!
    Saw my my Physio this morning, he is very much a 'find the source of the problem and get on with it' type of operator.  Not the sort to send you away with lots of exercises and back for multiple visits.  After confirming there was no pain triggered from my back he concluded it was the glute/piriformis area that was causing the problem.  One corticosteriod injection in the latter area and an ultrasound session on the upper hamstring & glute.  3-4 days rest now to let it soak in, I think I will call it gardening leave. :).  My running streak comes to an end on 197 days.  Shame it's such nice weather.  :/  
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    TR - Goodwood, 25th April
    RJR - Peterboro 22nd May, Liverpool 24th Oct
    OO - Afan Valley Trail  26th June, OCC 26 Aug, Madrid 26 Sep, London 3 Oct

Wardi - congratulations on a great innings, 197 wow.  Hopefully, we "might" be OK to travel internationally from late summer but I would guess much will depend on what happens with these variants.
    Joe - Glad you said that about London, neither did I. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Hope that jab works then wardi. Not a bad thing to break that streak as they encourage folks to run at times when they really shouldn't.

OO - whats the schedule of that 3 wks ?

Joe - i was hoping vlm or Brighton would stay late in the year, but you prompted me to have a look and they are both spring 2022.

I wont do all of those maras this year, but July is a probable and then 2 of the vlm, brighton, abo trio. Id like to do brighton and vlm so might have to run carbon-ated, so the legs cope better as they are 3 wks apart.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    5m easy peasy pace home.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR - Luckily it's 5 weeks. Plan is though, get in sub3 shape for the long ultra, but run relatively conservatively so can recover and be in good shape for a sub 3 attempt @ Madrid, then a week of complete rest/ recovery and then another sub3 attempt @London which will be the tougher one.  Could be all academic if European travel is not an option. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - so the ultra is wk 1, vlm is 5wks later, madrid is wk 3 or 4?.....interesting, i might be able to do brighton, vlm and abo with 3 wks between each. Keeping away from the red line is obviously key.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    TR - Madrid week 4.   I've run fast marathons 3 and 2 weeks apart and both times the second was a minute faster. Recovery and as you say not going over the red line which is key. I've done 3 ion 8 weeks but 3 in 6 weeks would be something, with your accumulated and relatively high weekly mileage your in with a good shot if you take it on.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - oh ok, good info, cheers. I guess i can sack off Abo if the other 2 beat me up too much. If i can run similar times 3 wks apart ill be happy. The shoes will make it more doable.

5m easy this morning, legs have been groaning so the taper is obviously doing its thing. 7m tomorrow, then 12 or 13 inc 6m mp saturday.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A rest day for me after my first sports massage in 4 months yesterday.  I slept like a log last night - massage always seems to do that to me!  Beautiful morning for a cycle into the office.
  • Wardi - thats a great running streak. Hope the injection does the trick. Yes, hoping to make it comfortable by getting under 2:55. You never know what effect the shoes are going to have on times.
    Jools - good sleep is a nice little bonus. Hope the legs feel fresh tomorrow.
    TR - that run with 6 miles MP in there looks great in a taper.

7 miles recovery this morning. Took a while for my legs to wake up.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Wardi - I might get a fancy one like that when the kids have moved out; lol. All elec - I won't touch anything to do with gas. How are you feeling today post-injection? And 197? I never even make 7 ;)

Joe - I knew they'd dropped the HM time to 72:30. I'll have to get close to my best to manage it but I've done it before so I've got a chance if I can get fit. 2:55 should be well within your range from your training.

I only managed the gym yesterday - took out the old inbuilt oven to find it was set over a 'hole', so had to build a floor up almost a foot before I could install it. You couldn't make up some of what the previous owners have done.
    10m easy earlier. Hopefully 6 later.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Good multitasking TT

Jools - that massage is a good idea, before niggles crop up.

Joe - gfa is interesting, as due to faster champs times, faster gfa times will be required. Due to folks putying in long lockdown training blocks and the effect of the shoes theres a lot of quicker marathon runners about. I looked at the Dorney results, 100th place was 2.53 and of that 100 more than 80 ran PBs. Thats a snap shot, but shows theres a lot of quicker runners about. We'll see what the Cheshire elite mara throws up times wise, those folks are all vhamps standard. But folks need to be aiming well inside the most recent gfa cut offs in order to guarantee a place.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    TT.. my local electrician posted a pic yesterday of 5 old round style wire junction boxes stuffed into an RSJ, it looked a right mess - he wasn't amused!  Thanks for asking - the injection site is slightly tender but most of the numbness in the leg has gone.  So far I have resisted any form of exercise. :)
    TR.. I will whisper this but the current weather pattern seems to be stuck for the next couple of weeks.  Looking good for Goodwood potentially.
    Joe.. when I was running VLM in the early-mid 2000's the GFA time for a V40 was sub 3:15 - it's sub 3:05 now!  I think the standard of club running has improved in the last 15 years or so, all that happens is that if London get too many qualifiers they just raise the bar.
    FWIW when I have done two marathons close together I tend to run faster in the 2nd one - I just assumed the first marathon acted almost as a training run for the 2nd one.  The last time I did 3 in a year the same improvement followed.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Good resistance then Wardi. Im sure tha good conditions will hang around until storm whatever the next one is called shows up next Sunday morning.