Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    MsE - LOL - I dread to think what my skipping might look like. Hope all is well for next week.
    6 easy miles today. Better make that my long run this week :)
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Cracking LSR, Gul;)

Recovery run this morning, just a 5 miler, first midweek morning run of the year, lovely light on the trails. 

Track tonight, with a 1 mile TT followed by a set of sprint intervals. Looking forward to seeing how |I get on.
    Wednesday weigh-in today, 175lbs (12 and a half stone) which is the target race weight. Not sure how that happened given the rubbish I eat but  then again I have done 5 runs per week averaging 45 miles per week since the start of the year, so I guess that will have an effect. Lowest weight I've been since I started to record it a few years ago. Maybe 12st is possible for London and hopefully extra speed? [looks at DT]

For those on social media, there is a guy called Nick Butter. His tags are @nickbutterruns
    He's attempting to run around the coastline of Britain in 100 days. He's about 5 days in and is running 2 x marathons each day.
    I spotted he's on Strava so I've given him a follow. Absolute madness but good luck to him!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sbd, run-through events have half marathons scheduled at Chepstow race course and Dorney lake last weekend of August. 70m....higher than my highest ever! 

Gul, if it isn't worsening then hopefully it's something that'll disappear in time. 

MsE, that's pretty good think re race weight. Bit like the idea of training in heavy shoes then switching it on raceday. 

Gdawg, it's definitely worth looking at. You need to be hitting a good half a stone ish off previous lightest to really see it bring gains I think. 

My first session of sorts yesterday with 4 x 1k off 2 min jog. Covered 3.5m at 6.14mm. Felt hard work in sunshine and compared to how I was cruising these longer and faster 6 weeks ago. 

My Whitson holiday to lanzarote cancelled today. The positive is I can firm up races I was eyeing at same time so early schedule set with a 10k 4 weeks tomorrow then a half at Chepstow race course 30th May then a leg isn the hilly 100 the following weekend. I'll then get some decent training in building to Bedford autodrome 20 last weekend in July. I will use that as a dry run for London and aim to run it at 2.49 pace. If I can do that 9 weeks out steadily then it'll bode well. Will then look at another half last weekend in August or first in September. 

Covid jab in the morning so 5m scheduled before it, rest day Friday and 5m Saturday, just in case I'm not great. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg, I briefly met Nick a couple of years ago, as I think he had some tie up with Pro Direct running.  He was at a book signing with Adharanad Finn who is local to me (Pro Direct organised the signing I think), and as it happens Finn turned up at a running session my Tri club put on the other week.  I know quite a lot of the coast path that Nick has been on recently and it is very tough but stunning, and funnily enough the book signing I went to was in Torquay which I think he passed yesterday.  His challenge a couple of years ago was to run a marathon in every country, which was a massive logistical challenge, as well as obviously being a physical one.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    SBD - there is a Thorpe 1/2 August 22nd.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - how did the TT and intervals go?
    DT - nice to have a race or two lined up. Hope you're fine after the jab.
    4 mile recovery run this morning. Will the frosts ever end?!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    BigG, I've read a couple of Finn's books, really enjoyed them. Nick had a poor knee yesterday they put a request out on social media for a physio to get in touch in the Weymouth area. I think he's been patched up now.

Cold recovery, Gul. Hope the niggles are better.

One mile TT went OK last night. Did a warm-up mile first and noticed a stiff headwind on the home straight. When I did the quick mile I tried to use it as an advantage on the back straight. Legs were more tired than I would have liked, this was my sixth session in five days.

Overall pleased with my time of 5.35, quickest I've recorded, I could have run it better and without the wind it may have made a difference. A nice marker of where my fitness is at the momemt as I continue to build a base.

Four minutes of rest and then 10 x 200m efforts with 200m jog recs. All around 41 secs, didn't go full tilt, not worth it, legs too tired but still a good session.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - excellent mile TT, especially with the wind. Those 200m reps would have been tough after that.

Did anyone else see this? They must have been allowing a few centimetres for each pair of shoes :)

parkrun essentials

📣 COMPLETELY USELESS RANDOM STAT 🚨

The global average height for a man is 5ft 8.3 inches. It would take a total of 2,813 men, each lying down, to cover the distance of a 5k parkrun 🤓

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Gul if you weren't around the average height would be much less. You are single handedly raising the status of men everywhere. 

Anyway, greetings all. Nothing intelligent to add about distance running but I did complete a short duathlon (2.5k - 19k - 2.5k) the other day, ran both the run legs, not all that fast but it's definitely progress, not too much pan afterwards. Onwards and upwards.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Delightful to hear from you Poacher- even more so that you are running 👏
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Thanks OO, slow work but duathlon is such a good sport. Nearly time for you to get the kayak out?
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Poacher - yes, good to hear from you and great news too. I suspect my days of road running being my only training may be coming to an end sooner rather than later so will need to take up some sort of cross training. Mind you, that's for training purposes only :)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice mile time there g-dawg.

Gul- why do you feel your number is almost up running wise?

Poacher, good to hear from you. I quite fancy a stint at duathlon. Now im a v45 I've looked at the 2019 age group GB qualifiers and the times obtained by those selected and whilst I'm much stronger than many on the running, my only gauge on the bike is what I could cycle 20m at on my old rd bike, and that doesn't leave me too far down. It's just the hassle and cost of getting a TT bike and putting the time into getting into that.

Jab sorted this morning. Getting the fluids in me now and paracetamol as advised. Easy 5m before it this morning. Factored in a rest day tomorrow.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Yes DT I had age group ambitions, reckoned I could have been on the cusp of V55 qualification due to OK running, with bike skills as a work in progress. That's all over now.   But TT bikes are different beasts, would't fancy it on anything but a closed road.  Bike racing in general needs a different attitude to risk.  Good news about the jab.

If Gul runs less that farmer will at last be able to plant his field!
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Did someone mention duathlons?  (Poacher  :)  and DT   :) )  I have entered two this year in an attempt to trick my body into not realising I am really stealthily getting fit for switching to marathons.... Anyone care to join me at London in September (closed course) and Cowman in October? You may accidentally qualify for the AG event which could be fun!

DT - I know Lewis is a big advocate of multisport training so why don't you ask him about incorporating it into the mix?

PS Drills and strides today in preparation for running....
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    On that lovely Primoz Roglic super bike MsE you will be able to boss the bike stage and jog the runs gently.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Paocher, yes I am not keen on getting on one on an open road. Is a TT bike really necessary over a decent racer though?

MsE- I do 2-3 spin classes a week under my schedule and noted on facebook memories that I did my first class 12 years ago yesterday so been at it a while. Also Lewis' sister in law is a triathlete and coach and so works at NLC as a triathlon coach.

I've been cycling in various forms since about 2002 when I was cycling to work through to 2015, then a decent stage into mountain biking and so on and I know from my spin stats that I have a reasonable degree of bike fitness.

I think my running ambitions are too strong this year to switch focus. I want to make the most of my current shape. It is something perhaps for next year maybe, I'm only just into v45 so will be in the younger portion for a while. 

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    I think we have all cottoned onto another ingredient contributing to your success DT. You were already as fit as a butcher's dog from cycling.  :D
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    DT I am far from expert but seems to me that a TT bike is a luxury 2nd or 3rd bike. I'd have thought that for all but the most committed, a decent racer would suffice. A TT bike is largely about flat straight-like speed, on a twisty course with poor visibility and punchy climbs it would be less effective. I do see people TT-ing along busy A roads, head down, restricted visibility, this looks scary.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    I thought this was an excellent insight into what is worth focusing on with the bike in multisport racing: https://www.instagram.com/p/CN9xoTBLqAp/

I always understood a decent road bike would do the biz and then you can add aero bars at little cost and then get sleek and fit for the full effect!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - not up, just need to adapt as I get older and decrepit!
    Poacher - it's never been a farmer's field during my lifetime, but you never know!
    After all that bike talk I'm certain I need to go for a swim :)
    6 easy miles today.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    I did my first ever duathlon a couple of weeks ago - 10k run/42k ride/5K run. I took the 10k fairly easy, but found the bike tougher than I’d expected; it was 2 laps and it was fairly even paced so at least I didn’t blow up completely!  Then, legs were jelly for the majority of the 5K so it was an eye opener that’s for sure!  I have done a lot of riding on Zwift over the last few months but a) it’s harder outside on a hilly/undulating course (I do have Zwift trainer difficulty set to 100%, which should mimic the real world hills) b) my transitions were totally crap and c) as a runner, going into it with ‘it’s only a 5K at the end - it’ll take care of itself’ probably wasn’t the best mindset :) I am glad I did it though. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, I really don't much like the idea of hurtling around the roads on a TT bike!

I did a sprint duathlon in 2009, before I was ever into running. I faired well in the running part, but I was clueless about the bike scene and I was on my £200 trek mountain bike. I finished the first 2.5k run quite high up the field then got passed my about 80% of the field on the 10m bike course, with people commenting a they passed that they couldn't believe I was doing it on such a bike, along with a sense of wonderment when early riders passed me as to how I was so far up the field with such kit. I then spent the 5k at the end overtaking people again. It was a learning curve for sure!

I think I've dodged any immediate side effects from my jab. Felt a bit tired last night and a  little nauseous but feel 90% today.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Good effort BG. \there must be techniques for avoiding jelly legs on the final run - I think lowering gear and upping RPM towards the end of the bike bit helps.

I reckon most duathlons are like Parkrun or ultra running -  a few very competitive people at the pointy end, everyone else is just out to enjoy, test themselves, learn. And avoid crashing in a pile of blood and twisted metal or carbon.  Trouble is that it's so tempting to throw money at deficiencies to achieve small gains.  As DT has seen, if a keeno on a posh bike whizzes by, then cruising past them on the 2nd run leg is very satisfying.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Poacher, yeah, I think in my case I just didn’t do enough running off the bike in training. It was just a bit of fun for me though, after a winter of Zwifting. I was particularly crap in the transitions as my bike shoes have laces, whereas the more prepared people have their bike shoes attached to the bike, and then put their feet in on the move.  That would be an easy/cheap upgrade that would save a couple of minutes. Also, on the steepest of hills I was in my lowest gear but was having to get out the saddle and stamp on the pedals - I’ve only got a standard aluminium road bike with a cheap chainset (9-speed), bog standard wheels (heavy and not aero) and no power meter.  I did enjoy it though and I’d do another one, but it’s back to running races for the time being, although I am still Zwifting. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    One could do an indoor duathlon - treadmill, static bike, treadmill.  Hard to imagine anything more tedious though!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Poacher, I think there are events like that on Zwift but I don’t have a treadmill though. It’s strange as I’ve no real interest in getting one as I do all my running outside, but I think I prefer Zwifting on the bike to being outside as a) no punctures and b) no traffic!  Also, the racing on Zwift is fantastic and there are lots of races to choose from every day, although having said that most of my rides on Zwift are Z2 type rides. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - glad your jab went pretty much okay.
    Poacher - just dreadmill and no static bike sounds even more tedious perhaps?
    Big_G - no punctures and no traffic is a huge plus :)
    4 very slow miles today.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Crikey has this become the bike thread? I can let Poacher off but the rest of you should know better 😉
    The combo of running and cycling sounds tough to prepare for. Run swim seems to work better but I'm never sure which it's best to do first. Either way I prefer a couple of hours rest in between on my double days.
    Easy week here with my 10k tomorrow but 4 more swims done and dusted. I'm debating whether to give my new next%s an outing 🤔
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I bought a road bike a few years ago to do the Ride London 100 event. It was a nice change from just running and the running fitness seemed to help. I still like to go out on a ride and is a handy thing when I pick up an injury. Looks like I may need it tomorrow.

Went for a cracking 17 mile trail LSR yesterday, weather was lovely. Had to jump over a snake at one point, stopped to get a picture of it, a cheeky Adder on the warm sandy trail. I hate snakes!
    Was feeling strong and going easy through a narrow section, then hit a tree root and did a proper rolling tumble.

Felt a pop in my ribs as I twisted to avoid falling. The impact was the opposite side so I know they are not cracked, may just be the tissue torn around the cage or between ribs?

The final 4 miles were very painful. Iced as soon as I got in and more today. Will finish the week on 42 and have the weekend off running and maybe get the bike out.