2021 in 2021

Comments

• 1311km to go. 
    In 1311, Lincoln cathedral is completed, in the process becoming the tallest structure in the world, surpassing the Great Pyramid at Giza, which had held the record for 4000 years!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    As you might have gathered, I'm out...hamstring tendon flared up very badly mid-Feb and I had to bench myself. I'm starting back with some short Jeffing but it's not 100% so I am not going to attempt to play catch-up. 
  • Hey Cal. 2021 kilometers still an option. 
  • 684 miles done so 1337 to go

In 1337
    Start of the hundred years war (actually lasted 116 years) 
  • End of another month. 725.91 miles done so 1295.09 to go. 

In 1295
    Marco Polo returns to Venice from travelling in China 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I agree with DRCal: 2021 km is possible!

Not sure that it is for me, but will keep plodding away!

As of yesterday 665km or miles should have been achieved. I have managed 317km so far due to illness, but getting back to it, gradually. 

So 1704 left. In 1704 English and Dutch troops captured Gibraltar from Spain.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • mussesseinmussessein ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Cal. I hope it heals quickly. You were covering a lot of distance. If you can build back to a similar level safely, then you'll regain a lot of ground.

1224km to go for me - In 1224, the university of Naples was founded.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    355 km completed, so 1666 to go. Quite a challenging target for me!

1666 as not a good year if you lived in London. The Great Plague of '65-'66 came to an end, not before around 25% of London's population died, although the city only numbered around 400, 000 at the time. Later in the year The Great Fire took hold, with 13,000 properties being destroyed, including the original St. Paul's cathedral; fortunately only six people lost their lives.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DubairunnerDubairunner ✭✭✭
    Had to save us off page 2.

861 miles to date so 1160 to go.

In 1160
    Land at Miholjanec is donated to the Knights Templar and they build a monastery, the earliest mention of the Templars in Croatia and Hungary.

Passed the 1000km and halfway mark today, so 1016km so far. 

In 1016 - three different rulers of England - Aethelred the Unready, Edmund Ironside, Cnut.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Great going DR and Muss. I will update at the end of the month.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    A long way behind...but nothing is impossible!

452 km run, so 1569 to go. In 1569 there was a major uprising in the north of England with the aim of deposing the Protestant Elizabeth l and putting Catholic Mary Queen of Scots on the throne. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    484 km completed, so 1537 to go. 

In 1537 Jane Seymour presents Henry Vlll with his longed for male heir, Edward; sadly Jane died 12 days later following child birth complications. 
  • 916 miles done so 1105 to go.

916 gold is 22 carat gold, 916 denotes the purity. 91.6 grams of pure gold in 100 grams.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    540 km completed, so 1481 to go. 

In 1481 a major earthquake hit Rhodes, with 30,000 casualties. 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    pretty sure I cannot do this challenge this year, too many hiccups! But Anyway - I have done 789 k which leaves 1232

in the year 1232  John Blund was elected to the Archbishopric of Canterbury.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Wabo, still half a year to go, be positive!

1001 miles done so 1020 to go

In 1001
    Vikings led by Leif Erikson establish settlements in North America, Highland Park produce a very nice whiskey in his honor 
  • 1050 miles done, 971 to go.

In 1050
    The brewery of Weltenburg Abbey is founded making it one of the oldest still operating breweries in the world 
    I'm up to 1497km. 

1497 was the year that both Amerigo Vespucci and Vasco da Gama set off on important voyages of discovery to the New World and the first sea journey to India, respectively. Also, two Cornish Rebellions take place.
  • 1122 miles done so 899 to go

In 899

King Alfred the Great dies after a 28 year reign
  • 1171 miles done so 850 to go

The Volvo 850 was Volvos executive car of the mid 90s, it replaced the 240 and it’s successor was the S70.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Going well, DR! Wish that I could say the same. Struggling and most unlikely to make the target. 

Just 619k completed, so 1402 to go. 

In 1402 the English Parliament made it illegal for the Welsh to gather together, obtain office, carry arms or live in an English town. Any Englishman marrying a Welsh woman came under the same laws. 
  • 1253 miles done so 768 to go.

In 1253
    Henry III meets with noblemen and the church to reaffirm the validity of the Magna Carta. 
  • 1874 km done, 146 to go. 

On July 1st, 1874, the Remington 1, the first commercially successful typewriter first went on sale.
  • That's great going, Muss...although I think that you will find you need 147 for a maximum: 2021 is the target not 2020! I imagine this will be your best ever year of training. 

DR, I guess it is pretty hot at the moment! Hope that you will be able to play catch up in the near future. 

As for me, no chance of catching up. 711 km completed, only, due to illness and injury. That means 1310 to go. 

711, or 7-eleven, is a chain of convenience stores in the US.
  • 2021k done, well 2030.22!

Nearly there mussessein 

Alehouse, still low to mid 40s during the day, ran at 0800 today and it was 36 degrees, looking forward to the winter!
  • And in 2021

I still haven’t left the UAE due COVID, but might make it home to Ireland in December for a short break.
  • Well done on the 2021k, DR! Hope you get to Ireland this year!
  • Thanks alehouse and good luck on the recovery 
  • 1372 miles done so 649 to go

In 1372
    The city of Aachen in Germany starts adding a Roman numeral Anno Domini date to some of its coins, the first city in the world to do so.