Pain in the ball of my left foot/toe (next to the great toe)

<p>Anyone in a good enough mood to help and lift my spirits? Went out for some interval training and it started out fun but then the pain set on. I took off my Vibram KSO EVO FiveFingers and the pain subsided entirely (I've had these shoes for over a month now with no such issue) after a few moments of running. Removing my shoes on that road though? Not a great idea. Now my little toes are bruised from the road and it hurts to walk because I've touched up the skin on my feet a bit, but that's not a big deal.</p><p>So, is it my running form? It's only one my left foot mind you and I've been fine for a month. For reference, the end of my toe (again the one next to the big toe) ever so slightly overlaps onto the middle toe.</p>

Comments

• GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Hi redmotive - I've not got any experience of running in the 'barefoot' shoes, but is this your first pair. You say you've had these over a month, but did you come to them having worn conventional runners before?
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Guarddog" class="js-userCard" data-userid="771050">Guarddog</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Hi redmotive - I've not got any experience of running in the 'barefoot' shoes, but is this your first pair. You say you've had these over a month, but did you come to them having worn conventional runners before?</div>
    </blockquote>
    Yes. You are implying the transition is too quick?
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Everyone has fat pads in the balls of their feet - in some people the fat pads are very thin (they also get thinner with age). I'm one of those unlucky sods. I used to wear Nike Frees for pretty much everything (not a barefoot shoe, but at 4mm drop they are pretty minimal) but once I started running further than half marathon distance it felt as though someone had been beating the balls of my feet with a cricket bat. I ended up going to a more substantial shoe.

That might be your problem. On the other hand, it may be your Vibrams are not quite the right fit and you are scrunching your toes a bit when you run. It's hard to say without seeing you run or knowing your age and weight. The best you can expect here is some educated guesses so I would suggest you get a running analysis from a physio (not a shoe shop).
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    I agree with Cal, redmotive. All we can supply is an opinion but I think seeing a physio who can check out the 'mechanics' would be a good idea. It's possible that your feet aren't adjusted to the change from conventional to barefoot, but that would just be a guess.
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Cal%20Jones" class="js-userCard" data-userid="106535">Cal Jones</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Everyone has fat pads in the balls of their feet - in some people the fat pads are very thin (they also get thinner with age). I'm one of those unlucky sods. I used to wear Nike Frees for pretty much everything (not a barefoot shoe, but at 4mm drop they are pretty minimal) but once I started running further than half marathon distance it felt as though someone had been beating the balls of my feet with a cricket bat. I ended up going to a more substantial shoe.

That might be your problem. On the other hand, it may be your Vibrams are not quite the right fit and you are scrunching your toes a bit when you run. It's hard to say without seeing you run or knowing your age and weight. The best you can expect here is some educated guesses so I would suggest you get a running analysis from a physio (not a shoe shop).</div>
    </blockquote>
    Well I'm early twenties, about eight kilogrammes or one hundred and eighty pounds.

I think I might have scrunched my toes a bit on the way back because I was trying to protect the initial sore area on my foot below the toes.

When I run I do it midfoot/forefoot with a symmetrical landing. The thing I see a lot of people doing however is letting their foot land as if you were running your hand along piano keys - meaning small toe to great toe and landing around the forefoot. 

I know all the drills. Landing beneath your centre of gravity. Stand tall. Lean forward. Forefoot. A kind of gravitational torque that requires less effort compared to heel striking, I've seen it described as. Though my runs recently have felt twice or three times as hard on my lungs.