Sub 3

Comments

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    One all then TR 💪👏
    Shepperdine Marathon race/TT report.
    Arrived at 8:30 thinking that was plenty early enough for a 9:18 start but as I made my way to the ample parking I realised I’d be queuing for numbers & toilets for most of that 😆
    Fortunately the full & half had separate queues for registration so I just had enough time for a few hip looseners & to do my lunge matrix. Toilet took a bit longer but I was well wrapped up & used the time to pin my number on before arriving at the front just as things were getting a little more urgent 😂
    Back to the car to drop off the extra layers, pick up my bottle of Maurten 320 & complete the dynamic stretches.
    Jogged the 3/4 of a mile to the start & was set off almost immediately. It was a TT format with approximately 10s between runners. This meant it was a solo run from the off. I started straight into the wind for 1/2 a mile which was 3:38 but then turned slightly which provided some shelter. The pace increased to hover around 7 & I went through 5M in 35:10. This was consistent with my A goal but with the worst of the wind likely to be in the final third I was happy to stay at that for now & suck up the damage later.
    After 5.5M we started the first (of 3) 5.1M loops. The wind was fine until at 9.2M in we turned into a wall of it. It was strong enough that my feet didn’t know how they were going to land so each stride was painful! I resolved not to fight it & accept the inevitable damage. Through 10M in 70:26 but with another 0.6M of headwind I lost a few more seconds. I knew it wouldn’t last though & once we turned the side wind was mitigating the damage being wrought by the relentless sun. The pace picked back up to 7s & all was fine til the return of the wind at 14.3M. I instantly slowed but remained calm knowing that in under a mile and a half I’d be out of it again. 15M in 1:46:06.
    Round 3 & I could feel the effort increasing just to maintain pace but tried to stay relaxed. I was lapped by about half a dozen chaps - though the guy in 4th came back to me within half a mile as his calf went. Turning into the wind for the final time was horrendous: it felt stronger than ever but once again I was determined not to fight it. 20M in 2:22:02. I finished my bottle of Maurten & took my only gel to see me through the final 10K. Unfortunately the return leg was also into the wind on & off so I started to slow significantly. My legs were fatiguing too & then at 22M I felt sick which forced me into a brief walk. This was disastrous though as the remaining 4M became a stop start walk/shuffle though I did manage to pick it up slightly in the final mile to finish in a disappointing 3:24:44 😒
    Great to see folks afterwards but very strange not knowing how anyone has done. 
    Burger washed down with a Proper Job in the sun once I got home 😎
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I did wonder what conditions would be like at Shepperdine given it was 20 mph here in Bristol. Well done for hanging on in there, Jooligan!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cheers folks

Was defo as windy here jools, the forecast was for it building through the morning, which it defo did. Socially diatanced marathons on windy exposed courses are tough, but they are Hobsons choice at the mo.

Good to see you back at it SJ

CC - i think my report covered everything?

The dog gave me a where have you been look, so just been walkies which wasnt too bad. Beers are chilling, i put them in before i left.
  • Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Just popping in to say well done to TR.

I have no sub 3 aspirations this year. I could target that at London or I can continue to do vaccinating shifts. Deciding which one is most important is a bit of a no brainer. I can manage three or four runs a week (depending on shifts) so hope to run a comfortable GFA if I get to London but that's about as far as it goes. Maybe next year though obviously age is against me.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice to see you dropping in LMH, hope you can get in shape for London.
    Jools.. crikey 4 years is a long time away from marathons, times does indeed fly!  I was thinking I would be out of practice but it is a mere 18 months for me!
    Jooligan.. well battled fella, that does sound like a tough day out.  Gritting out a finish on a day like that still deserves a few beers.
    The events up north don't seem to have been wind blighted from what I hear so you were just very unlucky TR/Jooligan.
    Nice MLR's CC2/SJ.
    A steady 5m for me today, just enough to take me over 50m for the week.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Cheers LMH, i didnt know you were vaccinating, fair play to you. But you are obviously running again after the broken arm and knee injury. you can't run on vaccination days?
  • Been vaccinating since my shoulder healed sufficiently TR (it’s still frozen). Too tired to run after seven hours on my feet concentrating and talking to people. Knee is still painful for the first mile or so and won’t tolerate running three days in a row.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Tough conditions Jooligan. Sounded like you were coping well until the final stages. Hope the beets tasted good. Recovery well and go again. 

LMH - superb effort on volunteering for vaccination duty. It's a well drilled machine so you all deserve enormous praise.  Especially as it's tiring you too much to train. 

Wardi - snap on the weekly total then. I'm declaring today's run equal to a long run. I was out there for 2.45.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I see fellow V60 Tommy Hughes clocked 2:31 at Cheshire yesterday, I have work to do. :|
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    TR - I hope those beers tasted good.  I think we all want a report a bit more like Jooligans. 
    Jooligan
    - well done for toughing it out and finishing.  Looks like a strong 20m+ and then had the tummy issue and unsurprisingly this and the strong wind took its toil.  Must have been a painful last 4m but still a really good run until then and you will come out the race stronger and fitter.
    Wardi - He is amazing that guy.
    LMH - Nice to see you, and my best wishes for being a part of the vaccination effort, incredibly impressive.  
    48m for the week, plus a bit of cycling and splashing about!
  • Well done TR, tough conditions but you managed to get the sub 3. Fingers crossed you get perfect conditions next time out.
    Jools - big run off road. Thats an adventure more than anything. Good effort.
    SJ - id have to check the times from December but I think I probably went slower than that over ploughed fields in the cotswolds. Can we put it down to time on feet? Sounds like a right workout.
    Jooligan - sounds tough but you gave it a shot and thats still a respectable time in my book.
    Wardi - big week considering...very nice.

Rest day today. I think I've already clocked my biggest ever mileage month so can push that on until Friday.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - 2 days out of 3 is decent though, esp given the distances you run in training, thats not a bad amount. Fair play to you on the vaccinating.

OO - I'll write something later, i wont be doing a monday mlr this week.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Wardi - that really is rowing against the tide re: Tommy Hughes. Just outside his V60 world record too. Mighty impressive when you consider he ran 2.32 at Barcelona in '92. 

RJR - time on feet is how I view it. Running in the Peaks is a different sport almost. I can't compare the two at all as i know I could have jogged along the roads clocking up the scheduled 16 miles in a smidge over 2 hours yesterday without too much effort. I view the hill training as building strength. Different training stimulus etc. Dunno though. I'm still trying to figure it all out tbh. 

TR - we've been so starved of race reports you simply have to indulge us please :) 

Jools - interesting comment re the shoes, breaking down and gait altering effects of the carbon plates. Is that anecdotal evidence or have you tried them? The topic came up yesterday during the run because several fast times have been appearing from club mates over past week or two. Whilst fully accepting the inevitability of comparison with previous performances, the general consensus was that you either go with it or get left behind. Apparently people are wearing them in training which has lead to one or two of the top coaches up here banning their athletes from wearing them for more than one session per week. The fear I guess is that they stop recruiting certain attributes because the shoes are over compensating for them. 

I wonder what shoes Tommy was wearing... 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Not tried them, but I've seen various comments about the height meaning ankle sprains are more likely. I just seem to have sensitive feet: even a new model of my current shoes ends in blisters, and transitioning to new shoes when Adidas stopped making Tempos was a nightmare. Plus I've no idea how they work with orthotics. After the last 4 years I'll take plodding 60mpw uninjured over running faster!

There is an ideological element, too.  I run to compare myself against my times, not other people's. Does it really matter if a 2.59 gets me a lower finishing position than it would have done in the past, as long as I run the time? It's not like I'm aiming for a national vest or anything, when it very much is a case of make the switch or get left behind.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Just remembered this morning that your mara was yesterday TR. Glad to see you got a 2:xx for your training; well done!

Jooligan - sorry to read yours didn't go to plan but kudos for sticking it out.

CC2 - cracking 10k and training 10m. Being coached seems to suit you.

Only a quick scan back so hope the rest of you are doing well.

I can't remember when I last ran. I've been buried in house renovations for the last week and a bit, to the extent that I'm back at work today and tomorrow for a break before another 5 or 6 days off to do more; lol.
    2 out of 5 rooms near as finished. Another one just needs painting now, and the last 2 (master bedroom and bathroom) are coming along nicely (currently tiling the bathroom and the bedroom almost has all its walls again!).
    Hopefully I'll be back running soon in another week or so :)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - ok. Ill get to it.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Ole Gunnar S said last week that sport was nothing without a fear of failure.......mmmmm

TR vs Goodwood part 2

I reckoned  was in 2.55 shape, but the wind was going to ruin that, with it increasing in strength as the morning went on. I would try to maximise my sub3 chances by running as easily as i could to keep around 2.58 pace and then push on in the last 2 of the 11 laps. So my quads would be taking the load late on and protect my usually cramping hammies. Gels on odd laps, water on even. 9 laps of snoozing and a 2 lap race.

We get called forward in order of fastest first, loads line up ahead of the sub3 marker, I'll be surprised if they all finish ahead of me, but ill have plenty of windbreaks. Every few seconds we go off in 4s, and im away in under 2mins.

I find a windbreak for lap 1, all miles done sub 7min, but its going to be tight on the windy ones. Theres two tough sections that might total about 1km, but not much assistance as the course is triangular, so tou dont actually get the wind fully behind you.

Im behind 2.57 pace (my reference) but settle into it and wait to warm up. After a few laps my sore foot aches, but my OP is ok, so not too bad, on we go. I find a windbreak for the next few laps, and am up with the 2.57 pace by 10m. I chat to a couple of brothers who are going well, but they easr away and i decide to ease off a bit, as i cant keep pushing so far our.....mmmm.....i need to while away the time for another 5ish laps before i can crack on........1/2 way in a smidge under 1.29 i guess at.......im falling behind the pace.

I make friends with what must be the leading lady, she is finding the wind tough, but i say she can run with me. Helping her will while away some time. The amount of other races on the course was building and there were lots of runners to get past after 3 or 4 laps were done. This is going to make sub3 hard.

With about 10m to go, i realise im behind the pace for 2.57, but could run 2.58 if i run strong.......4 laps (approx 9.5m) is a long way to push on though, increasing winds, no windbreaks.......if i dont it might end 3.0X again.......come on son youve run all those +10% runs which have a hilly last few miles......you can run a strong 10m to the finish.......you run marathons for this last hour.......you can do this.....bag a 2.58 here and you'll be proud of yourself......sport is nothing without......ok, lets go.

Im running strong, 19m, 20m and still running strong, no 7:XXs......2 laps to go, push on again son, you can do this, 2 laps, less than 5m......at 22m i work out i have 30min to do the 4 and extras......23m.....1 lap, push on son you can do this.....24m, still no 7:XXs, ive holding pace.......im catching my previous winbreak from the early laps, and the 2 brothers.....but not in time for the last windy bit......i knew that mile 26 would be one of the slowest miles due to the amount of wind in it (i wrote 11, 19 and 26 on my number), the wind slows me, i lean into it and my hammy spasms, fck it..........ease back, wait for it to ease off and then crack on, it does, im out the wind.......7.08 (ruined the sequence - bllx), tet to catch the brothers, i push on and am through in 2.58.3X.......you did it son, fair play.......i grab a drink and snacks and disappear off to puke, although that then changed to a feeling of needing a bit of a cry......fortunately neither happened.

Reckon i can still go sub255 on a better day.

Lap times (proud of these, eased off a bit after 4 and then pushed on after 7).....1.57, 16.01, 15.58, 15.52, 15.55, 16.05, 16.08, 16.09, 16.05, 16.12, 16.06, 16.06

The last hour is why i run marathons, i have to hang tough when the time comes, its really important to me.....sport is nothing without fear of failure.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    That is a very fine write up TR, I'm sure it reminds us all of how we find ways of 'digging in' when the hurtbox starts to bite.  All those long runs & MLR's in the cold, wet, dark etc.  Charlie W's logic is that his full distance training runs see him through the last 10m without a death march.  Those lap times are very consistent, they must have hurt in the wind.  Hope the beers went down well.

TT.. impressive DIY!  There's an end terrace property just across from me, 3 blokes spent a year refurbishing it.  They told me that all that is left of the original are the external bricks, a utility room at the back had to be re-built.  It's up for sale now so good luck to them!
  • Wonderfully recounted TR. Perfectly capturing why we do what we do. Love the OGS reference and its spot on and perfectly suited to the solitude (at times) of the long distance runner. Like all great race reports, I was there with you as you ticked off the laps. 

Those lap splits do indeed stack up extremely well with your assessment of a well considered race plan. Those early miles make all the difference. 

My mojo was already returning but reading Jools' response on running against ourselves and now yours and Jooligan's ezcellent race reports has me frothing :) 

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Great write-up TR. You certainly did plenty of hard runs over the winter.
    I’m with you on the shoes Joolska though I did start to wonder what my legs would’ve been like at 22 if I’d been wearing them.
    4.5M recovery run after work. Quads a bit battered & groin was tight for the first mile but everything loosened off nicely. Glad I kept it as an out & back: resisted the temptation to complete the 6M loop which would’ve involved another 200’ of climbing & the subsequent quad battering descent.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Blimey jools you're keen !

Mastermind final 8pm
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I'm glued to the TV!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    I enjoyed that TR, I felt the experience and the thought that goes into successfully completing these races and challenges.  What struck me was you were in mental control throughout with a clear grasp of what was needed even when the chips were down and you were well into the run.  Liked the strategy too. 

I think you were in sub255 shape for that marathon, but for conditions, and with this race now successfully done and dusted, and with all of the benefits it will provide, with a good recovery probably at least 255 shape.

Well done again, really pleased for you.  

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Agreed, great report, TR.  Real mental strength in the closing stages!

Bath Half (supposed to be 5 September) have just cancelled.  This makes me twitchy about London, and although I'm not sure I want to run around Dorney Lake lots of times, I have entered Dorney as a back-up for London.  The Covid-safe(r) logistics of London must be harder than the Covid-safe(r) logistics of Bath.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    TR - great running - your report actually makes me want to go run a marathon right now! Great consistency on the laps too. Chapeau! The fortitude needed throughout, particularly at the business end, is one of the reasons I love marathons above all other distances.

Wardi - good luck to them indeed! I had people nudging me the last time I renovated suggesting I sell up and do it again and make a career out of it. No chance. It's too much work to hand it over to somebody else to enjoy.

Jools - which Dorney event is that one/who is putting it on? (not being lazy but a search brings up a number of organisers using Dorney).
  • I think your report TR is a reminder of how long we run for and how many thoughts can go on in our heads. As OO says it sounds like you were completely in control mentally and you got the best result you could on the day. Congrats again.
    Jools - blimey thats a surprise. I have great North run around then which surely has to be in danger now.
    TT - sounds hectic. Think I'm just about keeping my head above water with house and garden stuff, work and running. But it wouldn't hurt for one of them to give. Running can take a back seat soon.

7 miles recovery today. Woke up with stiff neck. Really must sort out some better pillows.
  • Great report TR!

Jools, you've got me worried now. I think I need a closed circuit back-up half marathon over the summer just to bag the champs qualifier. Does anyone know if the Run Through races count?
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    They should do Speedy. They’re on Po10
    I expect it’s event insurance that’s proving the stumbling block. I heard a couple of weeks ago that GNR was in doubt for that reason RJR
  • Sufficiently spooked enough to get an entry for Dorney too on October 3rd. It's a 90 minute drive up the M3 from my folks so will be a decent back-up to London. 

TT - I used https://activetrainingworld.co.uk/ who are listed on the official Dorney website as an entry partner https://www.dorneylake.co.uk/sports-events.aspx

I would have opted for Manchester but that's the 10th and therefore outside gfa eligibility. 

Off to the club tonight for the first time in a while. See if my quads have recovered or not. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    TT: wot SJ said.  It's the same day, so easy to follow the same training programme, not have to try and book other days out of court, etc.

Speedy: I need to run a champs qualifier, too, especially now it's sub 88 rather than sub 90.