Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    To be fair to the RO Bus, earlier mile markers would’ve been pretty confusing as most of the outward leg to the loop was shared with the half marathoners so there would’ve had to be 2 lots as they did an out & back for c2K before passing the Mara start, the routes then split before coming back together. The loop was just over 5M so mile markers on the lapped section would’ve appeared in rapid succession. Almost everyone runs with GPS these days too - even TR 🤣 
    4.5M recovery after work. Took a mile for the groin to loosen & the quads were tender so glad I kept it short.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Not sure what's worse. Kempton with their mad markers like "23 miles to go", or just having none for so long :D 

Think I'd always prefer some sort of guide beyond a watch.

5k at the weekend, and with a little bit of tightness this weekend, thought I'd keep today's session a little more on the informal/relaxed side.

Went for 12x1min hard off 1min jogs. Actual jog this time rather than the usual stops, or half stop half jog or other times. Just out on the road.

Of course, the flaw to doing such short sections on GPS, is that the readings are very black and white.

For example, on 9 of them I've logged 0.17miles and the other 3 0.18miles.

So 9 at 5.53 pace, and 3 at 5.33 pace.

20secs a mile difference, depending on the precision of the rounding of the 0.17m up to 0.18m.

If I had to wager, I'd have gambled that most of those 9 were in the 5.40s to be honest. It'd only be 5.53 if I'd done the minimum of 0.17m. Any higher and the pace would increase.
    Always a bit of a minefield anyway of seeing what's going on as the pace drops when you're jogging and then you have to slowly see it ramp back up.

But anyway, it felt the right sort of level, out on roads with the odd crossing/person/slightly different context to each bit.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Fantastic SQ, some run!  Impressive but mightily so post mile 21, when your tired, with those conditions, being close to sub-3 and that happens with your timings, OMFG exactly. But great you stuck to your guns, had the mental desire and balls to pick things-up and cross the line saving those 5 ever-so precious seconds.

I know you've run 3.00.00 previously, I've run 3.00.12 and the difference in how you look back on those races and if they are seen as successes or failures or near-hits but for a few seconds is enormous.  That's why I am so pleased for TR too!

Quick question SQ - was your watch out because as we know in a marathon you normally run longer than the distance so by official mile 21 there is a good chance you've run 21.3 or another watch-related reason? 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    OO I had 26.36 on the watch. I was about 0.1M ahead of each mile marker.
    Another 4.5M easy at lunch.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jooligan, that's pretty good then for a marathon.  The most extra I've run is 600 metres at Berlin,  just general congestion and my own dilly-dallying with the water stops (on both sides of the road). 
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Hi OO. Thanks for your comments. Got me quite fired up again reading them! The 3:00:00 wasn't actually that painful (at least in a time repsect), as it was so ridiculous hot and everyone was suffering loads. It would have been a very different story though if I  hadn't run sub-3 before then... So I can definitely empathise with your 12s!

I use an Apple Watch, which, if I am honest, is fairly wanky for GPS. I use it as it has other features that are more important (receiving blood sugar levels via my phone). Whilst training, it leverages my phone's GPS (assuming I am carrying it), and always seems to undermeasure. Whilst racing, so always without a phone, it has traditional been spot on. So I guess this was why I was so shocked. Also - I would usually just manually split in a race on the mile marker and take the elapsed time. 

Weirdly, when uploading to Strava, it went from 26.83M to 26.39M. 

I know what you mean about the two different races and laps meaning mile markers would have been messy, Jools, but still definitely possible. 

Tuesday legs here today. Nothing like in the old days, but certainly fatigued. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The dreaded DOMs. :)

Was just reading notes from 2 club committee meetings ago. Not sure why they've issued them today, one day after another meeting 
    I share a role with a young guy who is big on taking the mantle in meetings (ie does 95% of the chat with 2 others), so I just let him cover the last 2, and sort of missed yesterday's anyway in fairness.

But, I noticed they mentioned the Wokingham half course will change, and upon reading the Wokey site, they say they're trying to re-route it through the town centre.

Wonder why?
    Looking at the route map, I never really realised there seems to be a totally odd little loop at about 8miles that could probably be binned off. Alternatively I suppose they could trim a bit of the loop before the 3mile return.
    Probably should just keep it the same though, hate races changing route.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Didn't they plan that for the previous race once it was taken over by new race directors? But sack it off nearer the time? 

Town centres can be great for atmosphere and for the supporter logistics as well, as long as there are no crazy turns, cobbles etc. Or in the example of Manchester 2015 a nice little tour around the back of some shops and their big wheelie bins  :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I think they might well have done.
    The big picture is they keep a race at Wokingham. If it has to have a minor change, so be it I suppose.

Still not convinced about September for a half. As it means you've got to do your long set of runs through a summer you're trying to aim at short stuff. But again, better to keep it as an option than not.

Reading has a couple of miles through the town centre which is decent, before you then hit the most bleak 3 or so miles ever.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Even bigger DOMS tomorrow no doubt :wink:

I think they changed the Wokey route because of all the housing development going on as well as to give it a bit more atmosphere.   That odd loop you mention could be used by the unscrupulous to take a mile off the route :smile:  I sort of did a few years back when I had a severe dose of CBA, waited for the broom wagon, but got so cold hanging around in the ambulance that I jogged back to the finish with the 2 hour jobs. I didn't go down the finish funnelt though :smile:

5 miler today, with a hill in to test the hamstring. Not disastrous, but definitely feeling it sitting down at the desk again...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I'm too clueless about the geography around there to even have realised there was a loop there.

Those hamstrings are an awkward area. As long as you haven't locked it, like I did once for 6months, it can just be a game of lotto.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    I reckon a fast time in a longer race (half or marathon) in the Autumn is more likely for me than in the Spring. Generally speaking, train in hot summer months, then fingers crossed for a cooler autumn date. Although I think Wokingham is the week before London this year. Could result in a very different make up of results.

Bus - you are having little luck. I think retirement from work is the only option. Full time runner should see you right 😃 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Made me check on that SQ.. 2 weeks difference, but same sentimonies.

Agree on the Bus retirement though, based on a guy at my club. He'd basically spent about 2 years injured/loads of driving, now he's quit (mid 40s!), he's suddenly running like years back when he was a local face.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Lol - much as I'd love to retire in some ways, (and assuming a large inheritance from an unknown family member as I don't do the lottery!) I'd be bored shitless!!! Maybe a stand-up desk is a better option :smiley:

Not too bad tonight as it happens and threw in a 5M walk/forced march between taxi trips for my son's rugby training, which gave no real issues. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, the routine and "purpose" of a job are underrated I think.

It was interesting experiencing that 5 months of furlough, as most of us have always wondered what not working is like.
    Not the best trial in fairness, as so little was open, and you couldn't really go anywhere, but it definitely wouldn't have been great living like that long term.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    ...Don't talk to me about work changes affecting your running :(
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    For some reason that reminded me of when I had to get in "offroad slight hill reps", before the days I used to run in the mornings.

It must have been a time of year it was already dark by 5pm, as I remember driving a couple of miles, and then getting up some local woods on a lunchtime to do it.

That was probably the worst time to do quality, at lunchtime.
    One time I did the nasty 45mins 5min between MP-HMP session (MP being 15-20secs slower than actual achieved HMP) , and was utterly wiped out for the afternoon :D 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    9miler today.
    Usual morning vibe, of taking about 3miles to wake up, but getting nicely into it once I'd trawled up the middle hill and offroad mile or so.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    SG - Just need gallons of coffee in the afternoon!

Great reports Jools and SQ - That sounded tough -  think quite a few people are 'fit' but out of racing practice, which seems to make a difference.

Bus  - sounds promising.

Decent weekend running wise..

Saturday - Nice change of scene, went to Priory Marina over at Bedford and I did 4 x (4mins,3mins,2mins,1mins). Felt OK - But halfway round I realized it was quite a long session - 8.6 miles! It dawned on me that I had put the 4 mins in by mistake. Idiot. Never mind anyway.

Sunday - 13.5 miler to kids cricket

Monday - 9 &5

Tuesday - 16 x 400m over the field. Commuting 12/13 today.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SCoombes2 said:
    SG - Just need gallons of coffee in the afternoon!

Great reports Jools and SQ - That sounded tough -  think quite a few people are 'fit' but out of racing practice, which seems to make a difference.

Makes a big difference I think. It's quite difficult to replicate that adrenaline/threat feel of lining up in a race where you know you want to achieve either xx time, or beat yy person.
    Throw in the oddness of distanced stuff, and knowing that someone next to you might be ahead or behind in real terms, and it's all about looseners and hard training sort of efforts for a bit.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I’d agree that the lack of racing practice probably contributed to my decline as I’m never one to do many long tempo runs in training so need a few races though I’m sure I’ve done a few too many in the past  ;)
    Another 4.5M today. Slightly quicker than yesterday, HR still elevated which is a reminder to keep it short & ploddy for a couple of days yet.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    I could see that a few short races at the start of this return to racing might be a good idea to get used to pushing really hard again. Not sure re pre marathons, as some pre mara races like 1/2s sometimes interfere with the marathon, as jools saud depends if you're doing any longish mp type stuff in training.......but also as jools has said hes has defo done too many races in  mara build up at times.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, the beauty of the short stuff is you can do  a tonneload. Albeit you probably can't expect that many of them to be at the peak performance.end.

It's one of those things we talked about recently, do you want half a year to be about one race, or do you want that buzz and getting amongst it really regularly.
    After the last year I'm definitely more towards the latter.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    The change at Wokingham was about getting the town atmosphere. Seems unnecessary, Wokingham is a runners race, low key, decent route no fuss and good standard. That being said a loop through town would make little odds. If you turn left out of Cantley instead of right and head up Milton Road then onto Peach St through town and back around you can get 13.1m by removing the Hurst loop where Bus stopped to keep his winning record against me :) . This would be all along two lane one-way roads apart from the first bit, so would be easy to keep one lane open. but seems unnecessary to me.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Does seem unnecessary. I quite like that turn right out of the park for some inexplicable reason. Sort of throws all the mile markers out a bit too.
    Although as I'd never even realised there was a loop around 8 or so miles anyway, perhaps it makes little odds.
    And certainly won't by the time I probably get back there, in 2022 at earliest.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I doubt there is 375ft of elevation gain though!

Might mess up access to my parking space too!
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Are folk going to be annoyed with Wokingham being mucked about with?

Definitely don't think any long races within 4-5 weeks are a good idea, but like i've said before, 5k-5m-10k type stuff is OK even up to a week before. Usually decent club runners who were doing Berlin always ran a leg of the National road relays at Sutton Park a week before - you do get 8 days between them!

Good session last night 4 sets of 5 x 400, off 60 with 120 between sets. Pretty consistent and with a decent warm up even got the first rep sub 70! Generally 68-69's with a 64 to finish. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    I think only a few stalwarts will be annoyed. It just invalidates the course records I suppose. I think it's slightly uphill into town so it will add a small amount of elevation to the course as the bit taken out is flat. That is assuming they do something  similar to my effort which came out as 13.1m first effort by some fluke.

Well done on the marathoners SQ/Jools btw. Especially SQ sneaking that sub 3.

Nice track( I assume ) work SC, I am considering going back to TVT track, we now have a member who's a bit faster than me (running) so if he keeps going it would make it worthwhile. Having said that I've been injured and not run for a week. Weird glute tightness that radiated down into the hamstring as well. Seems to be easing off now. Had physio on Monday but at £69 I am considering cancelling the second appointment, seems a bit steep!

Swam in the lake last night, bloody cold. Managed 2.5km but having got out at 7pm my feet didn't thaw until 10pm!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    It's gonna be even colder in Windermere next month Reg! Apparently there wasn't a frost free day in Britain (as a whole) this month & May is carrying on that way. Remember it took me til the top of Honister to feel my feet on TriX one year & that was a month later!
    Managed a 2.5K pool swim yesterday which wasn't as bad as last week's 2K so progress in that department at least.
    Boring, easy 4.5M run each day this week. Finally feeling recovered today. 
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Jools - nah the crap atlantic mush is on its way...rain and bloody wind. No more frosts for a while..