Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    It's a hazard as you get older GD poor reaction times. Lets hope its nothing too serious. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Wow, hope you're ok, GD. That sounds painful and a bit scary.

10 miles with 4 X 1 mile off 3 minutes jog today. 6.23, 6.26, 6.23 and 6.30. Nice to see the times continuing to improve. I might even be back below 6.20 for mile reps sooner than I dared to hope!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Lots of bike talk since I last posted.  I can see the attraction of the GB vest but I'm not sure my 40 year old Raleigh Tourer would be up to the task!

Good to see the pace improving on those mile reps Jools.  You're going to be in Sub 3 shape before you start the London training!

Good luck TR tomorrow at Goodwood.  Stay out of the wind and if it's looking close, make sure you sprint for the line this time.  I had seen Thorpe Park HM - the field's a bit thin at the top end but it's a possibility.

Surrey has become serious Backcountry territory since I was last there.  You did well to avoid injuring the legs G-D!    Hope the ribs sort themselves out over the weekend.  A good mile time on the track - I'd struggle to get under 7 minutes at the moment!

Did you get a pair of the Next% 2 OO?  I may have to indulge before Berlin.

Building the miles nicely Gul.  How's the leg(s) feeling?

Good to hear you're back to some running Poacher - you'll be running a marathon before you know it!  Have you manged to get rid of the support brace?

Well done on surviving the jab DT.  I had spotted Dorney HM in August - it's a possibility but I expect it to be windy if I enter!  I'll check out Chepstow - thanks.

Hopefully the skipping is doing the trick MsE.  I find it easier to cope with volume than speed - definitely an endurance monster in McMillan speak - but pleasantly surprised to be up to 70 miles already with 4 weeks left before the marathon campaign starts.  As long as training progresses, I'll plan to get up to 84 miles as per previous campaigns.

Introduced a bit of  faster pace work to the schedule this week.  So 6K of tempo during Tuesday's 10 mile run and a 10 mile progressive on Friday with the last 2K at MP effort.  Paces are still relatively slow but they can only get quicker.

Long run tomorrow - need to get back on the cycle trail - but only 16 miles scheduled.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SBD - i sprinted last time, i thought i was on for 3.01 until i saw the clock still on 2.59. Usual hammy cramp had slowed me a bit........forecast less than ideal but shouldnt be as much running into the wind as last time (~11m).......ill try to stay out of the wind as much as you can in a socially distanced marathon with ~200 runners.......good news on the continued comeback.

I spent a few years doing 1/2 IM, it takes a lot of bike time to get strong on a bike, and you need to bike more than you run. But i was sub 80 and sub 60 as an M45 off ~100mile per month running, marathons need more miles though........thing is tech is even more of a requirement to be competitive in the cycling part of multisport, £ buys time even more so than it does in running now with the supershoes. I prgoressed from road bike to an old TT bike, but was still giving time away to pointy hats, carbon frames and wheels. The pointy end even has water bottles built into the frame.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes SBD, £189 on sports direct with a code. I finally broke.....😊 Lets wait and see if worth it.
    Nice speed Jools- not too shabby 👍
  • I did a triathlon on a £40 mountain bike. I wouldn't recommend it. 

10 miles @ MP today for me. Came out at 6.43s. Carrying a litre of water and had a stitch from 6.5 miles which I think was because it was really, really windy on one part and I pushed a bit too hard on there to maintain the pace. I'm pleased with that, but then nearly 8 miles of walking this afternoon and I'm sooo tired I nearly drifted off with all the bike talk :tongue:
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    OO - all the best with the 10k. When I did some swimming for a few months, I used to run to the gym/pool (long route), swim and then a short run home.
    GD - eek that sounds nasty. Hope it's just bruising and not too serious. Take care now.
    Jools - good going with those reps.
    SBD - legs are okay, thanks, just still the same groin pain. Always good to introduce a bit of pace again - nowhere near that far myself yet :)
    TR - have a great race at Goodwood :)
    Speedy - good MP especially when carrying all that water!
     4 easy miles today to make 33 for the week, I think.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    TR not sure if you have a race today, but if so good luck 👍
    I tried that once Gul but hate running with a kit bag and putting on damp running kit after the run. Conditions here look good today- cool and low wind so no excuses if I dont pepper the 38 minute mark.

Why carry a litre of water CC, that seems a bit excessive for 10 miles. Good pace though....😉
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Oo, Tr, best of luck today. Oo, absolutely wear the next % shoes.  
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Best of luck to today's races (well, I hope your races went well - I meant to post this morning and then forgot...)

20 miles for me.  I was dumb enough to pick a tough, hilly, off-road route on a windy day (20mph, Garmin reckons, and it certainly felt it) when I woke up feeling tired and dozy.  8.30m/m.  A mere 43s/m slower than last week.  Still, time on feet is just as important as speed!
  • OO54 - last time I did a long tempo in warm and windy weather I was absolutely choking with thirst by the end, and because I'm currently having my bathroom done (therefore generally no access to a loo so I don't dare drink much through the day) I feared I'd be dehydrated. It was nearly 14 miles including warm up and cool down. I probably only drank 250ml in the end, but didn't want to risk it. Plus running with a kg of water on me in training will mean that I feel extra light on race day!

15 steady today, 13 of them with company to keep my pace sensible at 8.09s.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    TR vs  windy Goodwood part 2

Took 10m to get on 2.57 schedule, was behind by 17m and around 2.58 but had run out of windbreaks, vowed to go down fighting and ground out a 2.58.38. Wind was wful. Chuffed fot running a sensible 17m and then hanging tough, cramp got me a bit in last 1/2m but i had enough of a buffer. Managed to even pace it, but i could have sworn i was going twice as fast in the last 9m.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Excellent effort TR you must be chuffed with that.
    37:35 in my 10k, just a gentle breeze for me. Usual story- 6:16 mile 2 progressing to 5:59 mile 6, with 35 sec negative split. Pretty happy with that and not too pooped after. Junior OO was at 41 mins. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    An excellent run in tough conditions TR.  You manged to pace it really well and great to get the Sub 3 result given the less than perfect training.  Enjoy the beers.

That's a fast 10K OO - well done.  Did you use the Next% 2 and, if yes, how did you find them?

A steady 16 miles for me late afternoon.  Nice to be running in the sun but could have done without the wind.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Jools - yes, all good training.
    Speedy - nice steady run.
    TR - great effort and time - shame about the wind.
    OO - excellent 10k.
    SBD - I wondered where the sun bad gone yesterday. Nice MLR.
    6 miles this morning, some of them in the steady rather than easy zone.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    The next% were worn SBD and will definitely be my Marathon choice. They felt comfortable but I can't say I noticed a huge difference to the Zoomfly flyknits. Probably expecting too much given the hype. Just about every runner was wearing them 😉
    Legs feeling ok today and I'll be out running- so recovery might have been improved by wearing them?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

gdawg, hope the ribs are OK after the fall?

TR- good work and congrats on banking another sub 3. A lot of reports of the wind there yesterday. What's up next?

OO- great 10k, pretty much my pb time. I guess with the shoes, you had dipped your toes in already so some of the wow factor was lost.

Nice 15, speedy.

Gul, how's the niggle now?

SBD, 70m definitely seems to be a good place to be pre mara campaign. It's worth getting the Nike app and creating a nike account if you don't already have one as you can usually expect to receive a 25% discount code at or around your birthday. Suddenly the next % are a more sensible price.

A reasonable week last week with 35m and 2 spin classes. Probably only about 10mpw below where i'd sit for a couple of months now. Did a bit of a session yesterday with 3m easy, 3m steady (coming in around 6.45s) then 3 at mp, finished off with 1 easy. What was noticeable was that a month ago that won't have touched the sides, yet yesterday afternoon I felt a bit tired and could feel it in my legs.

Couple of miles more planned this week but also need to get back on board with the s and c work as that has gone out of the window since week before Dorney. Plus a much meatier session to deal with tomorrow as well.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great result, TR, that's an excellent time. well done!

A mate also did the Goodwood marathon. It was only his second attempt at the distance but has been enjoying his running over the past year or two and joined his local running club.
    He used my London campaign schedule from 2019 and I was advising him along the way. He wanted a 3.30 yesterday but I could tell from his training he was 3.20 quality.

Sure enough, he came home in 3.20 yesterday, a PB by 29 mins. I'm absolutely thrilled for him. He was diligent in his approach and put the hard work in. He is rather pleased. Good on him!

No running for me over the weekend as the ribs are still sore but I can feel improvement. A real shame as I was on for another 200 mile month but have already bagged my biggest ever April. The current volume of 45 per week feels normal, so mission accomplished on that front and will be ready for campaign start and raising the bar again in June.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    The new normal GD 😉
    Official results from my 10k- the winner was actually an elite lady 👍
    Overall: 7 out of 58
    3rd Male 40+:  1st V55
    Time: 00:37:35
    Pace: 3:45 /k
    Speed (KPH): 16.0 kph
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Decent pace for us oldies OO, same size next as flynit?

Dawg - top coaching, your mate ran well, he is obviously capable of more.

DT - did you know folks at Goodwood ? I have a deferred entry for Goodwood in july, i could do the 1/2, but if its still i need to seize the opportunity to do the full. We'll see. I reckon i can go sub 255 again, and a bit more on top if i embrace the carbon.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - still aching a bit but certainly not any worse. Moving heavy objects around again yesterday though so might get worse this week.
    GD - pleased there's some improvement. Your friend obviously had a good coach.
    OO - good stats :)
    6 easy miles today.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    "Moving heavy objects" needs to go into the training diary as "high-intensity cross-training session".....

As for much lighter objects, that's an excellent effort from OO
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That's great work by your mate, gdawg. Goes to show when you read the misery stories of people on the VMLM social media pages on ballot day who've sat on their arses for 10 years whining about not getting in, that with some endeavour it is possible to make big leaps.

TR- No, just seen quite a few posts on the sub 3 FB page from there. What shoes did you wear on the weekend?

Gul, you need to cut this lifting stuff out, it's clearly no good for you.

My glutes and upper legs are pretty sore today having done my s and  c routine last night for first time since week before Dorney. At least I know it is effective now! Out over lunchtime for a reasonably solid session of 5 x 1m off 2 min jog. A fairly routine session in March, however I suspect it'll trouble me a bit more today! 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Hmm.  Bath Half (supposed to be 5 September) have just cancelled.  This makes me twitchy about London, and although I'm not sure I want to run around Dorney Lake lots of times, I have entered Dorney as a back-up for London.  The Covid-safe(r) logistics of London must be harder than the Covid-safe(r) logistics of Bath.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Now is the time for Autumn races to have to start paying out for certain things I guess and whilst we have this road map there's still a great degree of uncertainty. I think London will be better placed to hold out as late as possible again, but equally it still seems like quite a leap from where life is now.

I wouldn't hesitate to run Dorney again and if that's about the same date as London i'd enter that again. It really wasn't bad at all and I was running solo for pretty much the whole thing.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    It's the same day, DT, so I already have time off work booked around that weekend, etc.  I'm apprehensive about effectively time-trialling, as I've only ever done big city marathons, but perhaps something new is a good way to ease myself back into things.  And I would rather know now if races are going to get pulled, so fair play to Bath for taking their decision when they did.  I just need to find some alternative tune-up races now!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

You probably won't have that issue. Mine was my own causing to a degree in that I had to defer from the sub 3 start at 9am as I couldn't stay over the night before due to the laws and didn't fancy getting a 100m drive in immediately before a 9am mara. I therefore ended up in the 3-4 hour race. Come October as things stand you'd be able to start in the sub 3 race so less of a likelihood.

There's a half mara at Dorney around the same weekend as Bath if you fancy a full practice run, as well as an event from Chepstow race course which would be reasonably local for you. Both closed circuit, covid safe events on private land so very unlikely to be disrupted with late cancellations.

Decent session over lunch, though came a bit harder than they felt in March. 5 x 1m off 2m float, came out just over 6m at 6.07mm, reps came in 5.47, 5.43, 5.44, 5.47 and 5.47. I was a bit disappointed by the perceived effort, however that's my first session in some 4-5 weeks and comparing it back to mid March there's not much in the respective HR's so it may just be that I am not as finely tuned to ignore the suffering a I was then.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - i feel reassured that others found it tough too, i paced it well, although that was no where near even effort........i was in my usual Sauconys  sunday (Rides - lightweight mileage shoe),  there wasnt many normal shoes (if any) ahead of me, i want to remain competitive AG wise so i need to get on the carbons. I have a pair of 4% i might use for sessions and mp runs and then get some Next% for racing. Id like to do a couple of Autumn maras and they will protect my legs a bit too.
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    TR, great comeback after COVID-19. Well battled in the wind for sure. And carbon-less!;-)

OO, really fast 10K. I think the shoes absorb more of the road than your trainers so bet you did recover faster/took less damage. You might find them to pay a bigger dividend in the marathon vs 10K/5K range.

GDawg and Gul, keep healing!

Good to hear from you Poacher. And nice rebuild going on there SBD (and Jools too!).

It's been a rough past few weeks for sleep. But am hitting another high mileage month (sitting at ~230M so far) with plenty of quality thrown in. The past week was 67M with an 18M LSR and 2 subLT sessions. Dropped my name into the Boston hat. Still hoping Baystate will have a race (strange that Boston could be my plan B race, but it  was the only race actually on the calendar so figured I should try in case the others don't end up happening). Warmer weather turned to snowstorms last week:( Now looking at rain for the next 5 days. But I have faith spring is on the way...
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Poacher - very creative.
    DT - good session. I wish I could cut it out - will have to move everything back to where it belongs in the next few days. That should be it for now, except for gardening if course...
    Jools - that doesn't sound promising :(
    VTr - amazing how you are managing to get so many miles in still. 
    4 easy miles today.