edited May 2021 in Training
Morning!

Lyrics: Don't wish it away
Don't look at it like it's forever
Between you and me I can honestly say
That things will only get better

Yesterday's Elton John song was Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting

R report, Hazel?

Good to see you Chick! Still not right, particularly with the tingling sensation in the head.

Didn't think it would be 22, Els! Sorry that Peter is still in pain. Wish his scan would hurry up!

What: easy run, stretches

Why: ran harder yesterday and legs know it!
Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Morning (UK time at least)..

Been busy writing the R report Ale  :)  Nice mix of running companions yesterday.  Hope the legs ease off soon.

Glad it was "just" work keeping you away Chicksta and good news regarding the jab.  

Good news regarding the cooker Els.  Hope you have a nice walk today with your friend.

How did the mile go Dustin?  Surely faster than my fastest yesterday - likely 11mins..

Have a good Sunday all.

What: gentle MLR, mileage currently open
    Why: needs to be gentle due to achy glutes
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: 30.03.2020

Lyrics: no

The R thingie: long - sorry:

First race since October 2020.  It was nice to feel a bit of pre-race nerves in the morning for an afternoon race. Format: solo time trial over 3 days (3 hour slots) with a maximum of 15 runners starting each half hour.

It was a short course this year, normally around 8k with an undulating loop at the beginning and then 4+ k up through the pitoresque gorge with a total of arond 500m of ascent. This year the undulating loop was dropped and it was just the section up through the gorge (400m + ascent) over 4.6k.

I arrived in plenty of time. With the rain and cold I did some advanced wriggling in the passenger seat to get down to race gear and pin on my number. Opened the car door put out a leg, brrr and put it back in again! With a bit more than a km between the parking and the start I ditched a proper warm-up for brisk walking with OH.

I was a bit concerned about other (hiking) traffic on the narrow route but with the poor weather there were few hikers around and I was able to politely move those who were out of the way with a clear warning from behind, a smile and a thanks. I can imagine it is more annoying for others on a narrow path to have a runner „push“ past every couple of minutes than just have one big bunch go through. Runners coming back down the other way also (mostly!) sufficiently gave way.

Start when you were ready if no-one had started within 2 minutes beforehand rather than at the alloted time. Off over the timing mat and a couple of hundred metres on tarmac with a slight down before into the gorge onto trails. I took the first metres too fast of course (lack of congestion) and thought uff when things started to go upwards and also got a bit of a stitch. The first section in the gorge is not too hard though with a steady climb, no steps and not too many of those nasty metal bridges. Those came soon enough and I struggled as usual to keep up a decent rhythm and speed - mincing over the bridges between the horizontal metal strips and walking the uneven steps. The wet conditions didn't bother me too much, I don't remember any slips but I had to concentrate and ignore the scenery. At the same time there are a couple of spots you have to be wary of rocky outcrops to bang your head against – anyone over 6ft needs to duck at couple of times.– Over the road (no cars fortunately as I would have had to wait) and the last bit of gorge with about a mile to go. This last one is easier finishing with a climb up a meadow and the last 600m on tarmac. My right calf was much relieved to be onto easier ground and I was able to run decently again after it had been refusing to coooperate on the steeper stuff, seizing up sufficiently that I was forced to hobble-hike. Over the line (31:53) and pick up the goody bag - the traditional beginning of season clothes drop-off bag for the other races in the series – will those happen?.

No reason to hang around otherwise so I set off back down the hill to meet OH who had kindly walked up towards the finish on a different route (the official marked down route for returning runners) carrying some warmer and waterproof clothing for me to get changed with the expectation that I would get to the top and then immediately turn back down. That worked out well as he was only about 800m from the finish by the time I met him and even found ome shelter next to a hut to strip off the wet stuff and down some very welcome hot peppermint tea. OH had met quite a lot of people running down and commented that many had looked as though they were struggling with the cold/wet. We then walked back down to the car together.

Overall impressions: I found it strange to be running alone, certainly harder without rivals around me – no-one to drag me on when I was struggling or to hunt down if I was feeling good. The social aspect of meeting up with others and the post race sit down and awards ceremony were missing altogether. But it is better than nothing. My time was nothing special but I always struggle on the steeper and more technical hill runs - steps are not my friends, looking at my age group results I had the normal people before me. I would normally have made up some time on the missing easier first loop as well. Just nice to be able to do something approaching a race again.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Afternoon!

Great report, Hazel! But a strange sounding race... hopefully not the new normal!

Dustin?

What: short run

Why: bring up 26.5k for the week after 23 last week. Gradually increasing.

Pouring here now so my run was well timed. Stretches later but unlikely to cross train in the garden!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Lovely report, Hazel. Must be strange to be racing without racing, if you get my drift.

When is your second jab due, Ale?

Sorry to hear about Peter, Els. Are you ok to run again then? I remember you mentioned an injury a while back.

I'm feeling a bit weird with some strange dizzy spells and my arm hurt badly last night but is feeling better now. I hope everything is back to normal tomorrow.

Today is day 50 of my 10k a day step challenge 😊 although today's walk was super slow.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

Chick, it is 12 weeks today since my first jab. Two consultants have said that 12 weeks is only a guide and up to 4 or possibly even five months is ok. Sorry to hear that you have had a reaction and trust it goes quickly. Don't know anyone who has had a reaction to the Pfizer. 
    Interestingly if I lived in another country I might be able to have a Pfizer jab as my second whereas in the UK it is strictly that you have the same for the second as for the first. 
    And well done on the 500 kms!

Poured earlier and then when it stopped I decided to garden. Too cold!

• elspeth fayelspeth fay ✭✭✭
    Hazel - great race report and performance! It does seem that races these days are a bit lacking but normality will hopefully come sometime. Well done!
    Here the local 10k on 25 Apr was cancelled because Scottish Athletics deem need 5m between competitors etc but it would have been purely local competitors as travel was still banned at that time and our rates were almost nil. Ah well!
    Chick - hopefully short term effects from the Jag! I have reached the dizzy heights of 2m alternate days at the minute chick, walking rest of the time. Hope to be up to a bit more by next weekend but don't want to wreck progress by too much too soon!
    Had minor sore arm and short term tiredness with second Pfizer dose, nothing with first one.
    Doing well with the gardening Ale!
    Walk up the hill with friend and her two dogs for me, very nice to have company. Met trail running group coming up on our way down, sad not to be with them but it will come.
    Peter out jagging, thought he was done but no sign of him back home.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Evening 
    Lyrics yes, theme still on?
    Els nice and easy the best way
    Chick hope the dizzy spells go
    Alehouse nice running
    Great report hazel, races are very different right now!
    What 5.8 all alone, mix terrain, lovely run
    Why nobody around
    Last hard that
    Last rest 31/12
    Football coming back on ta ta
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Evening Wabo! Yes, same theme. Needs to change soon! That's a good run on your own! Forest? And Fleck should have been off! Can't believe Son was offside either!

Am supposed to run with M76 tomorrow but the forecast is dreadful!

Would be good to see Emz pop in...
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Hi!
    As if by magic Ale ;)
    Sorry I've been AWOL.  Life has got in the way.  I've been sewing like a maniac as I've got a market at the end of the month plus orders to get through and the hobby has turned into a full time thing (plus my full time job!). 
    Been running quite a bit and I think I'm getting faster!  Club on Monday I was at the front rather than the back of my small group.
    Els hope Peter is feeling better soon, how come you're running less at the moment (I did try and read back, but it was about 10 days' so I skim read it all)?
    Chick how's your foot?
    Hazel sounds like a fun race, if a bit odd.
    Ale, I hope you can get answers soon.
    Wabo must have been nice to see you son :)

We saw my Dad last weekend, first time in 7 months.  Lucas was a bit shocked to see that "Pa" didn't just live in the phone!

This morning did 14.8 km off road with a trail group.  Was great fun, though definitely hard work!

Don't know the lyrics today, but did know most of the last 10 days having looked back.  Can always tell when Ale starts the thread!

Have a lovely Sunday evening with the thought of no work for most of us tomorrow.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good to see you Emz...and all sounds good! Is the sewing children's clothes?
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Alehouse that was disgraceful what fleck did, he was looking down at him as he did it!! Happy with that result
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Nice to see you posting emzap, it was lovely to see my son indeed
    Run was road then I went into the forest alehouse
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    applogies for being awol much of the weekend
    Hazel - great report, glad you enjoyed back racing
    Emz - great to see you back
    chick - pleased to hear you got the jab
    ale - good to see you getting back in the swing and sorry for keeping you waiting for the race report 😀

yesterday was club event on track, juniors and seniors.
    I ran the last race of the day - mile heat 2.
    I’d done a few track sessions leading up to this, so wanted to run hard but controlled and see what happens.
    Found myself and another coach setting the pace for the first 2 laps in reasonable comfort, lap 3 always hurts but managed to stay with the pace as one of our leading ladies went past to take it on at the bell. Another training buddy sat on my shoulder and the 4 of us managed to make a race if it over the last 200.
    6.09.7 so not the sub 6 which would have been great, but pleased with consistent pacing (92,94,93,91)
    something to work on over the summer, I’d hope to be back toward 5:40 for our Autumn race...
    Loved being back racing and even the group warm up & cool down were like the old days of group runs!!

today - 16 miles easy hilly trails
    why - clubs marathon is mid June so ought to do some miles..
    last rest - 10/10
    last hard - this weekend
    5 miles xc walk this afternoon to stretch the legs out

looking forward to a day off tomorrow (although I expect calls from Europe and the US...)
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Dustin: if you did 16 today you obviously didn't run hard enough yesterday! That of course bodes well for when you do! And it sounds like a proper race!