Sub 3h15

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Thank you, both. Ive just registered for a Nike membership as its my birthday in 2 weeks.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    My first marathon was Blackpool, June 2004.  It was quite a small field (maybe 600 or 700?) and so we thinned out pretty quickly.  We finished along the promenade, I seem to remember, and had to weave through stag and hen parties who couldn't quite understand why skinny people in lycra were dashing around looking quite so perky on a Sunday morning.  I think I ran just over 3.30, as it doesn't appear on my power of 10, and from memory in those days women had to break 3.30 for power of 10 to list your result (back then it was not the UKA backed behemoth it now and was run by a volunteer or volunteers, very much focused on faster runners).  Still, it got me a GFA for London, which was the main aim!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, you might not get one as there's a period of time to qualify. However I would point out nike have 20% off all full priced items this weekend. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Yes i saw that, i can get a pair of next% for 192. Version 2 isnt included and out of stock anyway. Id like a pair of versiom 2 ideally as the upper is supposed to be better, so maybe I'll wait until they restock and suck up the 209, which is only a bit more than the 192.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Tr-You have to be a member for a month,so if your birthday was in June you would get it then,but probably won't get it for May unless you changed your birthday.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fair do's, i need the version 2 to come back in stock anyway. Might not be long as theres a dodgy mustard yellow colour with green trim coming.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    I feel like a birthday coming on in July, assuming Nike get some more stock.

Not sure about the mustard yellow though ...

Progressive 10 miles early evening with the pace decreasing from 8:32 to 6:26.  Almost beginning to feel like a proper runner again.  Gives me 292 miles for April - so building back nicely!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBD - tidy progressive run and building a very solid base.
    8 easy miles this morning.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    208 Miles for April, my lowest this year. Probably now that swimming has kicked in. 
    Popped out a 20:04 on the Keswick parkrun route this morning. Enjoying the sun before the rain arrives tomorrow.
    Loving all your marathon memories 😁

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - rain in the Lake District? Whatever next. 208 is higher than my highest month so far this year :)
    4 mile recovery run this morning to make 41 for the week.
    Happy birthday to Poacher.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Ah Gul thank you. Celebrating by working all day. More importantly it’s happy birthday thread, going strong since 2006, with several posters who have been here for the duration. Much wisdom has been shared, and to be fair quite a lot of nonsense too.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday, Poacher and thread (in order of importance).

Nice progressive there, SBD.  A gentle end to the week, Gul.  And a cheeky 5k for OO.

242 for me in April.  I started May with 11 miles including 8 x 1km off 2 minutes.  Averaged 3.57 with the first 3 @ 3.54, which turned out to be a bit greedy.  I must admit I didn't think I am in 39-dead shape at the moment, but the first rep, with someone a few hundred metres ahead of me going a tad slower than my target pace to chase down, felt pretty effortless.  It got harder with no-one to chase, especially in the final few reps as the legs got tired.  Still, 3.57/km is 6.21m/m, and it's been something like 3.5 years since I've got within ~20s/mile of PB pace, so I'm taking that as a result.  It was followed by a long day in the car, as a round trip to Reading to have lunch with my folks ended up taking 5 hours due to malfunctioning windscreen wipers (not the best fault to discover during rain @ 70mph on the motorway, in case you're wondering: we then had to sit around waiting for the rain to clear) and then hitting the Kill the Bill protests as we returned to Bristol.  Today's 19 @ 8.06m/m felt a bit creaky, but brought up 58 for the week.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY POACHER! 🥳🎈🎁
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Thanks! Celebrated with 30m on the bike, very early, saw people walking down the street in pyjamas and slippers. And a dog wearing a bright red onesie.  
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Poacher - like this ☝️? 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Happy Birthday Poacher and the Thread.  Clearly, both improving with age.

A good pace on those 1K reps Jools and solid LSR.  Shame about the wipers.  At least you weren't on the way to a race!

Building back nicely Gul.

I think you must be missing the park Runs OO.  A swift 5K on the Keswick course.

16 miles late afternoon.  A bit windier than I was expecting but pleasant condition nonetheless.  Legs felt a bit lethargic initially but the pace picked up over the second half to give an average of 7:45.  Pleasantly quicker than recent weeks so the strides must be having an effect.  71 miles for the week.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Poacher I hope you had a shandy as well to celebrate. We've all shared ups and downs over the years on this thread- it's been a good companion and long may it continue.

Good miles Jools and some great speed too. 
    Massive effort SBD. I could only manage plod pace today but a 60 mile week to kick start the month.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Dog in a medium-sleeve onesie in winter snow, maybe. Dog in a full-length-sleeve onesie in leafy Cheshire on a sunny May morning, eh?  

Good efforts by SBD and everyone else.

Who is going to be Parkrunning on June 5, if that really is return date?
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Poacher - nice way to celebrate. I am thinking about parkrunning on the 5th, but might well be busy with other things.
    Jools - getting stronger. 
    MsE - I presume they belong to you? And that wasn't taken this weekend :)
    SBD - solid week.
    7.35 miles today. Ran straight back from the petrol station with some milk hence the odd distance. Thought I'd better be back early for my birthday - moved up another age category but it's all rather academic at the moment. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Best wishes Gul. I was expediting champagne rather than milk though 🍾
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday Gul!
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    OO54 said:
    Happy Birthday Poacher I hope you had a shandy as well to celebrate. We've all shared ups and downs over the years on this thread- it's been a good companion and long may it continue.

Hear hear! (chinks glass of Kombucha)Poacher said:
    Dog in a medium-sleeve onesie in winter snow, maybe. Dog in a full-length-sleeve onesie in leafy Cheshire on a sunny May morning, eh?  

Ah. 🤨

Gul Darr said:

7.35 miles today. Ran straight back from the petrol station with some milk hence the odd distance. Thought I'd better be back early for my birthday - moved up another age category but it's all rather academic at the moment. 
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY GUL! 🎈🥳🎁 Semi skimmed or full fat (the milk not you)?
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    do you make your own kombucha?
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Really impressive volume being achieved by loads of you. Sadly I can't join in the April miles as there were very few as I let my rogue foot settle down. After a run-walk week last week I am going to try a run-run week this week mixed in with the cycling. Am I allowed to say on here that I am finding cycling quite fun (finally)? Who would have thought all it took was a stupidly expensive bike and several years of persisting in chasing Julian Goater around the countryside. How can a 68 year old be so quick? I am pleased to report that I can claim his scalp on hills (occasionally) and am pushing him to achieve new PRs on  segments, so I am taking that as a win (even if I am 20 years younger).

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday, Gul! 

A return to run run sounds positive, MsE. Not sure about the cycling, though. I'll stick to bike commuting when I must, and leave it at that!

A very steady 6 this morning.
  • Sorry I missed the birthdays Poacher and Gul (and the thread!).  

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    OO - no champagne here, but we did have a rather nice rhubarb and ginger presse later.
    MsE - an impressive scalp! Pleased to hear you are progressing well. (Semi-skimmed for me).
    Jools - I'm with you on the cycling (or lack of it).
    Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes. I got 2 tickets to hear Mike Oldfield in concert at the Royal Festival Hall and we watched the latest 2 episodes of The Chosen. 8.65 miles this morning. I nipped home for a comfort break and found both bathrooms in use so ended up taking 15 mins :)
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Is this the only place on the web where one gets details of the duration of "comfort breaks" this early in the morning?
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I suspect t rhubarb and ginger are to blame 🤭
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    LOL - sorry guys, that was rather clumsily phrased. It more a case of waiting 15 mins beforehand...