P&D Spring Marathon 2021

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    hamo, Rose smashed it - that was a big PB for her. Everyone is massively impressed. All our guys aside from Nick got PBs (Nick was a minute out which isn't bad considering he paced in Kew and decided to finish) but I think Rose's result is even more impressive than Matt's. It would be really nice if she and Steph did Commonwealth, though they'd be running for different nations of course. 
    Sorry you didn't get the time you wanted but it's good you got the champ time at least. Interesting about the Alphas. I've still yet to get mine out of the box but I do wonder if they'll suit me. Part of the appeal was the cushioning - I have very thin fat pads in the balls of my feet so quite often they'll end up killing me in the later stages of a marathon. It's a bit weird though - I've done races where they've not hurt much at all, and in the same shoes. Anyway, good for toughing it out.

TR, enjoy your rest. I reckon you've earned those shoes.

Good luck AWC - I quite fancy that one, once I've got a 50K under my belt. Not sure when that will be now, though.

I've not run since Monday due to the hamstring - (I did use the dreaded elliptical at the gym but you are limited to 30 minutes on that...though 30 minutes feels like an eternity so that may be a good thing). However, I wasn't going to pass up a chance to run in such lovely weather today so I went out after a fairly thorough warm-up. I ran a continuous 4 miles. The discomfort was there throughout but it's at a level where I can push it into the background and it isn't affecting my stride. So long as it doesn't get worse, I'll keep going, as I need to get that fitness back. I would rather like to be racing by June - there's a Wednesday evening race on Clapham Common the day before my birthday so it'd be nice to do it.
  • Thanks for the reports all.

TR - that reads like a superbly executed race, adjusting to the conditions etc.  To squeeze out peak performance we all need things not to go against us, wind , SD laps, traffic etc weren’t in your favour so whilst a great time you should be proud of, without the elements against you, would have been quicker. Cant sniff at 2nd in age cat though !  I use the same size Next% as my peg 37.

SQ - Even though I knew the result, the report had me on the edge of my seat.  These rolling “oh have we started” starts are strange ! The lack of mile markers is a bit strange too.  Never mind couch to 5k, more like SF to sub 3.

Hamo - pleased you got the champs time but really sorry you didn’t get the time that your talent and hard work deserved.  Whether people call them reasons or excuses you’re entitled to analyse what might have gone wrong. As HA says, bank an excellent training block and take that mental fortitude into the next race.

Recent highlight of my running was tripping on a kerb and hitting the ground like a sack of spuds.  I enjoyed it so much I did it again a few days later, just as the scab on my knee was healing. 

AWC - Best of luck with C2C, I had a place but deferred it a few weeks ago as TP100 is the following week.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Cal - hope you can get back to it now then.

Macca - cheers. Defo time to be gained from z proper race day occasion esp a bigger city marathon, time to be gained from better weather and some from having runners to run with in packs, i ran a bit further than last time too - probably due to traffic.....but it was a good challenge and i got some ROI.......i have a tree lined main road near me that the tree roots have lifted paving slabs in, i trip over there similarly so often have scabby knees.

Final rest day today, 5 in all, which is rare for me, but ive slso been very hungry so i guess my body is rebuilding. Trainers will come out again in the morning, a week or two to get back.up to distance, and then 5 weeks on the car bonnet, before a 2 wk taper ready for TR vs Goodwood part 3. Might switch to the 1/2 if the training becomes a chore but cant risk wasting a still day on a 1/2.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed the recovery is ongoing Cal.
    I’ve been Hank Marvin all week too TR & had mostly early nights too.
    Another 4.5M at lunch yesterday & today. I also got back in the pool last night & did 2.5K. Quicker & less floundering this week so progress in that department at least.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - im not good at early nights, you've got your body moving again pretty quickly.

After 5 zeros, back to it today with 8m, legs were pretty good, OP and groin were a bit sore, but thats to be expected. Good to be back at it.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I’m not normally TR but I’ve needed them this week.
    My groin was tight the 1st mile or so Monday & Tuesday.
    Going to ache tomorrow 29.3M & 6,000ft today supporting another South Wales Traverse runner.

• JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Jools - looks amazing, great way to do something different post marathon. Not sure my legs would survive it, good job on getting around. 

TR - pros and cons of being able to have another crack at Goodwood so soon. You’re in good nick so should be able to handle either distance on similar training. Sensible to keep your options open. 

Hamo - good to bank a time even if not what you were targeting. Hopefully you’ll be able to train with your club again soon as I think that will provide you lots of benefits for your next one. 

Cal - promising news, hope you can build back up by June. 

Unusual week as I frontloaded with a couple of MLRs and then easy back end of the week building up to a 10k. Supposed to be one of the fastest in Sydney held in Olympic Park and had a few thousand runners in waves but mass starts. I just got into wave A which had a cutoff of 38:30 so knew I’d be towards the back. Went with the flow from the start and felt OK for the first few km even though it was 3:40/km pace. Was good to be back running in groups again but a small gap opened up around 3km. Was with one other runner for the next 3km and went through 5km in 18:32. Managed to catch a few at 6km and ran together but it got hard at 8km, unsurprisingly as I’ve done hardly any running faster than HMP. Slowed to 3:50/km but managed to hold on for the last bit. We finished inside the stadium on the track and I almost tripped on the rail as I forgot it was there, but managed to stay upright and crossed the line in 37:43. Second fastest 10k that I’ve run and happy to finally get under 38 mins again but the last 2km really hurt. Lots of PBs today so there are some really fit runners at the moment. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Crackers stuff Jools, amazing.

John - well done John always a surprise reminder that folks can run well at 10k off more mara style training.

Another 8m yday, legs were a bit achey late on, so took the "how far shall i try to run on tired legs today" out of it, embraced my inner Steph Davis and did 60min on the turbo instead.
  • jools - cracking photos, looks like a great day out.

John - great result in the 10k. I find the last 9k of a 10k painful.  If you’ve not done much sub HMP then an indication you are in good nick.

TR - A few days rest will have done some good I’m sure.  Fingers crossed for no wind and decent temps early July.

Cal - good to see you posting a few runs.

A cut back week here, surprisingly still Pb 60m, further taper this week then the Thames Path this Sat.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Another race report! 
    Another fine performance John. You’ve come out of this bizarre 12 months in excellent shape.
    Still more miles than me last week Macca 😆
    Quads are still screaming at me today. Just the 5.4M yesterday after cunning use of the car & MTB to shorten the rolling local loop I fancied.
    Managed to get out before the weather landed too. Sunny but blowing a gale this morning so no biking today.
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    TR...You have 100% earned the supershoes. If it helps, my nxt%'s are the same size i wear in the 4%s and zoom flys, and they fit well. You are never too far away from that car bonnet, proper inspirational. The 5 days off will have done you more good than harm, and will set you up nicely to start into an intense short block. Nicely back into it already, with the easy running and turboing.

Cal...That birthday eve race is a good target to have, sensibly far enough away to build fitness without killing yourself. Keep the eyes on it, and fingers crossed the niggles play ball.

Macca...Cheers, yea it is a good block of training banked, and i can't be too disheartened with a sub 2.40 in hindsight. Hope your knees are ok, and you have had no more trips. What sort of distance is the Thames race?

Jools...The pictures look mighty, that is a serious run to be putting in so soon after a marathon, great work, and fair play on helping your friend.

John...Quality racing in your 10k, 2nd fastest ever can't be sniffed at. Brilliant running, especially with not having much/any 10k specific training, congrats.

I took most of last week off all things running, only donning the shoes on Friday morning for a recovery 5 miler. Legs felt very heavy for the first few miles, and my thigh where i cramped up was very tender and crampy, but I kept it very slow and it was nice to be back running. Must have just needed a run to loosen my legs up though, as they felt better for Saturday's and Sunday's very easy 7 and 8 milers. I even managed to scale 5 peaks in the Mournes on Saturday with my biggest wee woman on Saturday too, so a nice relaxing weekend to recharge.

It was the virtual Belfast half marathon yesterday, and a mate of mine was running it, so he asked would i pace him for a 1.30. In the end, he ran brilliantly, in brutal weather, and hit 1.26. It was nice to spin the legs a bit, and no ill effects for today's very easy 8 miler.

Our club have an afternoon of 5000m's organised for Saturday which i am entered into to. I sandbagged my estimated finish time (hopefully, having not ran a 5k in a long while and after and drinking everything I looked at this last week :flushed: :lol: ) to ensure i wasn't placed in a race that was too quick as i know my legs won't be 100%. But it will be nice to give it an un-pressured whirl. Only slight issue i have is I am due to get my vaccine on Thursday (they've got down to jabbing the young good looking people here now :wink: :lol:) so will hopefully have no "hangover" from it, but i will play it all by ear, and not race but help out on Saturday instead if I am not feeling great.

Maybe do a few k reps tomorrow to gauge where i am for Saturday, but haven't fully committed to them yet, so we will see.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Macca - TP100? Hope it goes well, your steely legs will munch it up.

Hamo - top boozing skills, i need to ease it back again now. Good to see you're getting back to it (the running not boozing) and are motivated for more.

The extra rest dsys will defo do me good, i pushed hard late on but didnt blow and fade so hopefully there's good adaptations to be had following the rest. My legs are still a bit achey after a while running which is a surprise but i guess i was pushing hard to the finish on tired legs. The new shoes will hopefully help with that. Nike had 20% off at the weekend, but id like to get some version 2 as the upper is better reviewed so will wait until they come back in stock.

10m run home tonight, it would usually be 12 by now.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Hard to say how you’ll fare post-jab Hamo. Usually affects folk the next day though if it’s going to so you’ll be fine to race 5,000m that evening if you feel you want to. Free hit too given post-marathon fatigue & jab.
    Great pacing duties. Funny how quickly you recover enough for a reasonable half after a marathon. I did VLM16 the week after my PB in Brighton. I flew round to half way then just past 14 the engine went into limp mode til the end 😆 Held it together enough for a course PB at least.
    Every older runner I know says the first thing to go is recovery after racing/hard sessions TR. I only really ‘raced’ 20M of my marathon. You had the mental toughness to push through to the post-race vomit so not surprised you’re taking longer to recover. Apart from Saturday’s epic I’ve only run 40-50 minutes a day. 
    Back in the pool for another 2.5K this evening. Longest continuous swim now up to 800m - only 90s slower than I was a couple of years ago when I swam twice a week.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - good swimming improvement..........i had best ask the spo for some lawn bowls for my bday next week, I'll be 54.
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    TR...Just wear your cricket trousers with those lawn bowls, no need to buy another pair of white trousers, save the money :lol: Nice 10, and don't over think the extra two mile, every race and therefor every recovery is different.

Jools...Funny is right, i had the same "fine to half, limp home after" in the Belfast marathon, the week after London a few years ago. Good work in the pool, that will help recovery no end.

10 mile with 5 x 1k (off 90 secs) this morning. Wasn't sure i would do the session but felt ok during the warm up so decided to give it a go with no real amount of reps in mind, and the option to pull the pin when i wanted. Settled for 5 reps in the end, averaging 3.08 mins per km over them, 3.07 - 3.11 range. Should have maybe pushed for a 6th rep, as my head went wandering and so the pace dropped a bit on the 5th, to end the session strongly, but more than happy with it.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It takes me ages to recover after a marathon - my speed goes down the crapper for about six weeks after. After my PB in Yorkshire I did a 10K in December (in 2019, the 10K was the only distance I didn't PB, although I only ran a couple) and I was very disappointed with my time for that. I did break the 10K PB in January though - at least that was one thing I managed in 2020.

I know I've been quiet but I've been rather unmotivated of late. I did 5 miles on Sunday which was OK but hammy was a bit sore after. Monday I woke up too early (4am) and decided to get up, which was a huge mistake as I felt so rubbish for the rest of the day I did nothing at all (my only exercise was walking to Sainsbury's so I racked up a very unimpressive 2,000 steps - it would have been in the hundreds if I hadn't gone shopping). I also managed to eat four pecan tarts and half a tub of ice cream in front of a bad movie while feeling despondent.
    Tuesday I decided there was no way in hell I was running in that wind so I booked the gym and did some bench pressing and shoulder stuff, but again I only managed  5,000 steps.
    I nearly didn't go out today either but I gave myself a bit kick up the arse and went for a run. I decided to push the pace a little so did just over 4 miles with an average pace of just under 10 min/mi. Not fast enough to anger the hammy but fast enough to get my lungs working a little bit more. (HR didn't go up too high though, only 150s which is fairly normal for me).
    I feel pretty unfit and fat (not that I am fat...but I can feel the pounds I've gained and I don't like it) so I need to dig myself out of this mental slough I've got myself into.
    I am seeing my friends this month for some coastering - which I've not done since 2019 - so that'll be good (though I've got so used to being isolated they had to talk me into it! I think it'll do me some good though).
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hamo - well done on the 1ks, easing back into it nicely.

Cal - you're having a bit of a crap time. Defo try to get outdoors each day even if its only for a walk. Can you get on the cross trainer at the gym ? Your club mate Steph rates  it.......and defo agreed on the having some company would do you good.

5m easy run commute in, body was groaning as its the first quick turnaround for a few weeks.
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Cal...Sorry to hear you are having a rough time motivation wise, as TR says, try and get out once a day, even if it is just to get a bit of fresh air around you. The motivation will come back, just try and keep the head up.

TR...Nice easy running, that'll help with the groaning.

7 very easy miles for me this morning, legs a bit heavy after yesterdays reps, but overall not bad.
  • Hamo - well done on the reps and pacing your mate on his half.  Hope the jab goes well (I must have jumped the queue somehow🤣). I ran a decent 5k 2 days after mine, not so sure of its affects over a marathon though.  Seems to be entirely random.  The Thames Path is 100 miles.  Weather looks lively this Sat.

TR - there’s some days I think I’d struggle to bend over to pick up a bowl.  Easing yourself back in is the right approach.  I do think longevity is helped by coming from a background in another sport.

Jools - well done on the pool progress. If your quads were screaming I’d hate to think what state mine would be in after similar.

Cal -  you look like you’ve been quite disciplined with the rehab and walks etc so don’t be too hard on yourself for falling off the perch for a day or too.  Coastering sounds great fun.

Repeating the last week of P&D here as I don’t know any better/different for the TP100 this Sat.  Perversely I’m looking forward to that hard bit around 70miles where you think wtfp - I’ll try to remind myself of this come 7pm ish Sat night.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Cal - how are you today? As Hamo said try to keep chipper.

Macca - good point. I used to feel really fit and healthy when i was multisport but then i wasnt hitting the pavement for 70+mpw, so no surprise.......weather forecast does indeed look a bit damp, i had juat seen it, was thinking i didnt fancy a long run in it saturday and then remembered you have TP100 !

12m home, body is still groaning a bit, dawned on me that it reminds me of trying to get going again after CV.  And similar to after the jab, might just be old age though.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

TR good job on the sensible recovery post Goodwood.

Super 10k, John. Great to finish in the stadium. The last 2k of a 10k is always horrific in my book!

Hamo that is lovely to have got up in the mountains with your daughters. Perfect post marathon exercise really. Really well paced for your mate. I could do with your advice below!

Sorry it’s been a rough time for you, Cal. Definitely the best medicine to have an adventure with mates booked it.

Macca the hard bit at 70M! Best of luck – sounds like you are up for embracing the pain! Hope the weather plays ball.

Have been slowly getting back into thing post marathon, and enjoying zero pressure. 31M last week - all very sedate.

Dropped in a few strides on Tuesday this week, and did a lovely 15M out and back along the canal yesterday before an evening work thing. Beautiful afternoon for it. Ran to easy rather than recovery, and pleased to see 7:12 average pace. That said, form was slipping in the final mile.

Another very enjoyable trail run this morning – head north from Worcester, but sticking to the west of the river. Haven’t been for a couple of years. Trail in good nick and such peaceful countryside. Hoping to hop onto the grass track for a gentle session next week. Perhaps 200s?

Just over two weeks until I pace my friend at Peterborough. He started with a 3:20 target (7:38 pace), but has done some good sessions with what look like MP effort section at 7:25 – 30. He has also PBed in the half (1:26 on trail) and 10K 37:58. These, however, have been in the context of very low mileage (maybe 30M a week). So I am still tempted to encourage him to stick with 3:20 at least until 20M. Any thoughts? Want to try to do a good job of helping him!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Youve bounced back quickly SQ........your mate sounds like he'd be close to 3hr shape if he'd done the miles. Depends if 3.20 is a real big goal or not as i cant see him running an even paced 3.20. He is pretty much certain to have a tough time after 20m even if he is aerobically running easy, his legas will simply shut down on him. Best hold him back to 3.15 pace early on,  wind the drinks and gels into him from early on esp whilst he feels good, and keep him chugging, could be a crampy last few. Might be wrong though, he could have a steely pair of legs esp if he is young.

6m easy here this morning.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    TR, thanks for asking. Beautiful day today - unfortunately I wasn't feeling fantastic. Not ill, but a little off. I went out anyway and got 10K done - the longest since my time off. Hammy was a bit grumpy but not awful, but I found it hard work even though I was going at what I'd term easy pace. When I finished I checked my numbers and HR was high (about 20 bpm higher than when I did the faster run on Wednesday). So I think I have an infection or something - either my throat or one of my back teeth as my jaw feels a bit tender and throat is a little sore. I've booked in to see the dentist on Monday to see if there's something going on back there (the gum's been a bit sore but I put that down to having a big gap there that gets food stuck in it every time I eat...but perhaps the tooth is bad, I don't know). I need to get a crown stuck back on anyway.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    That’s an impressively swift recovery SQ. Cracking pace on that 15M.
    I’d agree: stick to 3:20 pace to 20M. You’ll knowledge how he’s faring by then.
    Sorry you’re still not running freely Cal. Well done on getting 10K done. Keep ‘em coming.
    Another 4.6M at lunch but also cycle commuted today & swam yesterday. Up to 1600m continuous now so almost there. Turned my 7M commute into 19M on the return.
    Back in the mountains tomorrow for a 10 mile fell race in 40 mph winds & heavy 🌧 Should be “interesting” 🤣
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Well done on getting the run done Cal, hope the tooth comes good.

Jools - looks like you're back to usual race mode now.

18m easy effort for me, legs are coming good. Wet and windy at times, thought of Macca.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big well done to Macca - fantastic result!
    Nice work on the 18, TR.

Not a good day for me today though. Hamstring wasn't the problem (I could feel it but it wasn't bad). Drunk neighbours woke me up last night by slamming doors and making a lot of noise and I couldn't get back to sleep for a couple of hours so I didn't feel awesome this morning as a result but after coffee and a warm-up I went out. As I'd done 6 miles last time I out, I decided to go back to the Earlsfield-Collier's Wood section of the Wandle Trail as that would give me a similar distance but with more interesting scenery (not that Tooting Common is boring, just that I walk and run there all the time and need a change). I am not sure if it was the disturbed sleep or the fact I was overdressed for what turned out to be a rather warm and humid morning (T-shirt and leggings - should have worn a vest and shorts) but I started to struggle once I got onto the second bit of the Wandle trail. It was like all my warning lights came on. I hit 4 miles and decided to stop, even though it meant a 2 mile walk back home. Good job I did as watch was showing HR of 180, which is much too high for the pace I was going. I don't know if I was dehydrated or over tired or still a bit ill or something but it's a tad worrying. Shame as I had been looking forward to getting back to my old routes, but I guess there is still time for that.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Cal - at least it wasn't your hammy spoiling the training, well done for getting out there.

Well done to Macca (and Millsy) indeed, im massively impressed, i followed on the tracker.......so yday i got up and hung around a bit waiting for the rain to stop before dog walkies, Macca had been going since 7ish......went walkies, and ran 18m, Macca was still going all of this time......i watched the Derby game, went afternoon walkies, Macca was still going, had some dinner, watched some crap tv, Macca was still going, drank some beer until late, Macca was still going.......i take my hat off to you Macca.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Seeing as i ran long in the rain yday, seemed only fair to do todays aerobics on the turbo as it was a dry and warm morning. Pushed it a bit for wu, 10x4min/1min, wd, got a reminder as to how hard turbo is. I was properly fit when i did 3 or 4 of those a week.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks TR. Turns out I do have an infected tooth/gum plus a sore throat. Dentist put me on antibiotics. Hope I will start to feel better now.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Reassuring to get a diagnosis Cal. The antibiotics should see you right in a couple of days.
    That puts Macca's exploits into context nicely TR.
    Fell race/TT was horrible: 50mph sidewind along the lovely runnable ridge!! 9 minute mile along there versus a PB of 6:20 :/ Blew me off course several times - couldn't see either with the driving rain & my legs were still feeling the last 2 weekends I reckon. I came 25th of about 45 when I'd usually squeeze into the top 10.
    Left it really late to get out yesterday to allow maximum recovery. Set out to do 13 but got lost & ended up doing 18. I'd had enough by 14 - kept the pace reasonable but legs were aching.