Comrades 2022

Comments

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Good luck runners - I might even post a 5k on Strava, hmm, where is that Fenix 3? Its been a long time!

Will look out for the dots if I make it back in before you finish :D
  • Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Thanks, everyone. I'm hoping to start about 7am. (Was aiming to be in bed and lights out by 10pm. Didn't happen!)
    Extra thanks to SD for marking!
    Mc Hilly, enjoy - I presume that's CTS Sussex? Good thing i didn't enter this year, given that and SDW50 both got deferred to tomorrow!

• Debra/Baldstan - Good luck for today. Hadn't realised that had come round so soon. Will dot watch.

McHilly/Peter R - good luck at Sussex. Peter R doing the ultra
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Just see Debra, with about 38 miles done, said she was feeling tired, but was looking strong!
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    And now seen Baldstan too, just a few minutes behind Debra and also looking strong!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Great going all! How was the half McH? Any sign of Peter?
  • well done peter r and mchilly. Presume Debra and baldstan are done too now. How did it go?
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    I didn’t go on here last night so didn’t realise McH was in Eastbourne and it only clicked when I saw the centurion signs on my route that I was on the SDW and you guys would be on the same path. Well run everyone. 

Good day out for me, very happy with my time. I am hurting this evening though, quads are sore and sure to lose a few toenails. I officially need new trail shoes, my current ones are too small. 
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Peter R, me too, plus I've managed to get sunburnt down one side! Next pair of shoes is going to have to be a size 12, and I was wearing 10 a few years ago. Congratulations on your result, second MV50 and 3rd male vet?
    McHilly, great to see you out on the course, and sorry I didn't say hello, I only realised it was you as I went past. Hope you enjoyed your race.
    Great course marking SD, I had no problem at all. Though I did have to shout after the runner in front of me at the last trig point above Eastbourne as they took the wrong track down, but that wasn't your bit. It was beautiful out there yesterday on the Downs. I especially enjoyed having the sound of skylarks with us almost all the way, and watching the paragliders around Firle Beacon. I felt good at the start, and better than expected towards the end, but I did have a long stretch in the middle where I was feeling nauseous. The salted roast potatoes from Southease seemed to help sort it. Comrades food, as Debra said afterwards.
    And it was great to catch up with Debra at the end and share the train journey back up to London. Amazing that this was your 100th ultra and good luck for TP100 in three weeks.
    edited April 2021
    A great day out yesterday. As baldstan has said, lots of skylarks (I do think the people wearing headphones were missing out) and lots of sunshine - I too have mild sunburn on my right side.
    Great to see a Comrades hat running towards me and realise it was Slow Duck on the return from marking the course. All was very well marked - thank you for your section, Slow Duck.
    And then lovely to see Mc Hilly coming towards me - and she turned and ran with me a short while before stopping to picnic.
    Thank you akso baldstan for walking with me to the closer station that I hadn't known existed - very helpful. Although I was too tired to really note the route so I'll need to make directions for myself if I'm to do the same after SDW100. It was really nice to be able to chat both before and on the train (when I wasn't reassuring my mother, stepmother and husband that I'd had a good day and finished safely).
    Well done Peter R, and glad you enjoyed your HM, Mc Hilly.
    So nice to do SDW50 in good weather. What a contrast with 2013 (when the first couple of hours were lovely then the front moved in giving, strong winds, lashing rain, cold temperatures and zilch visibility).
    It would have been nice to finish in under 10 hours, but 10:02 is okay. I wasn't pushing -too- hard as I was very aware I have TP100 in just 3 weeks.
    And reaching 100 ultras felt good. I can now order my MegaMarathoners T-shirt from Traviss.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Cake! We want cake! Well done everyone :)
    On losing toe nails; I went too long with my shoe experimenting and ended up with beautiful crescent shaped blisters around the backs of my heels. My latest experiment is back to optimal in length but a wider fitting. Maybe my toes are just the wrong angle not to go black.
    I didn't get out yesterday as planned, 5k today is the new plan, virtual Comrades is breathing down my neck!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I prefer my Larks' Tongues in Aspic they sound much better man, headphones on  :D 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Once again I have found some exercises at random on YouTube that I believe will be my salvation (just like all the other times), executed them, and gone for a run. It was a 5k loop, probably just short of 5k actually, let's call it 3 miles; it took me so long that I am equally severely sunburnt on both sides :D
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Am joining the dangly arm club tomorrow afternoon ;)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    You might get Moderna! My mate received a slug on Friday so its defo out there :) Good luck!
  • marty74:  I won't say 'have fun', but good!
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Great running last weekend Debra and Stan. Hope your recovery has been lovely this week. Pleased to report no ill effects after my Moderna jab except for an achy arm for a few days. Managed to get and run a 50k this weekend around home in prep for London 2 Brighton at the end of May. Pleased with the results however am going to rein in my predicted time so that I have less stress on the day!!!

Hope everyone else running well and perhaps going to some real events again??

edited due to my spelling :) (Thanks Debra)
    edited April 2021
    Marty: great to hear of your lack of side-effects after your vaccine. And a nice little run as well! Hope you feel your prep for London 2 Brighton is going well.
    I've been being sensible, running easy this week, didn't do the speed session on Tuesday (was tempted, as I felt fine). Have been feeling great all week. Bit tired today, possibly because I had my second vacc yesterday (using up a leftover dose that would otherwise have been wasted, at the end of a clinic).
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Well done on the training everyone 🙂
    I'm into week 1 of a calorie controlled diet after last week's 5k had so much excess fat giggling around I felt out of control. But don't fret for me I am having a ball, this isn't a lettuce only restrictive thang... day 1 I had 2 Easter eggs 😋 I just need to count calories and not exceed a daily allowance. Dead easy. They say week 1 can produce startling results and so it was... I am 4lbs down... yeeha! Onwards to week 2 😋 I haven't run for a week but have been pretty active walking every day and I'm currently aching from gardening for two days, so no running until at least termorrer!
    Some people wanted me to go for a pint and I told them to sling their hooks. I'm working on the principle that vaccines are 70% effective at best so even after my second jab I still have a 30% chance of ending 6ft under. I don't care what restrictions have been eased; I'm not gathering (to sword fight and become the only one or anything) until it is statistically significant that covid is not beating the vaccine programme and has been properly contained.
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Good luck for TP100 tomorrow Debra, I'm not volunteering this time so shall be dot watching from home. Looks like the weather will improve as the race goes on, and it doesn't look like it will be too cold at night at least.
  • baldstan: thanks. The rain is looking likely to clear a bit earlier than it semed it would even yesterday. I'm prepared for it being cold by the river at night - I treated myself to a new 200g insulated pull-on jacket. I figure at that weight if I end up carrying it rather than wearing it it doesn't matter, and if it does turn cold, I'm prepared.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Another dot watcher here :D Good luck Debra.
    PS seriously considering the Coros Pace 2 as my Garmin is playing up, but due to Covid causing chip shortages they seem to be a little elusive at the mo :(
  • Thanks, lowrez. Centurion store has the Pace 2 in...
  • Good Luck with TP Debra - 100m is tough right now! Question is which watch are you going to use? I see you’ve slowly gone from wearing both watches and running twice effectively to trusting the COROS, so intrigued to your thoughts now?
    Lowrez, if you want PACE2 or other I’m your man with a discount for you too. Although even through Centurion some discount but not as much as Ms Bourne recently saved 😂 👌 
    Share your mindset on vaccine too, many think once had they are immune and that will be the downfall I’m sure. I’ve suffered badly last 5 weeks since had jab, ongoing myocarditis so I’m not a jab lover at all 😂 
    edited May 2021
    So. It starts tomorrow. My attempt at the Centurion Grand Slam. Four 100-mile races in a little over five months. It's my personal challenge, but I don't want it to be only about me, so this time I'm fundraising for two very different charities.
    Wildlife Vets International provides veterinary support and training to help conservation projects worldwide - saving species (often working with species where saving each individual animal can be crucial). Last November, WVI vet John Lewis died suddenly, and his loss is being felt throughout the wildlife veterinary and conservation world. I'm running and fundraising in his memory: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/debra-bourne-WVI
    Five Talents helps some of the poorest people in East Africa, through savings schemes, literacy training, numeracy training and business training for communities in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Burundi, South Sudan, Democratic Republic of Congo, Bolivia and Myanmar. I found out about them because my friend and clubmate Rel Lindley, who is pacing me through part of the Thames Path 100 (thanks, Rel!), works for them. So I'm also running to help their work. https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/debra-bourne-five-talents

• baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Two great causes Debra, which I'll be very happy to support.
    Mark, I've been following your recovery on Strava, really hope that you're back to full fitness before too long. People's responses to the jabs seem so random, and unrelated to prior fitness, but you've had the worst reaction of anyone I know. I'm just waiting to hear if I've been accepted onto the trial to have an alternative second jab (although as it's a blind trial there's a one third probability I'll get AZ again).
    edited May 2021
    Mark: that's Dr Bourne (not that it matters) :wink: I'm going to use the Coros tomorrow and hope - I'm still not comfortable using it (must look up again how to turn touchscreen on) and it spent large sections (like 10-30 minutes at a time) of the SDW50 telling me I was off course when I wasn't, so I'm a bit wary - but Centurion. Here's hoping!
    Mark: I have to say that sounds like you actually had the virus, not like a vaccine reaction - I'd suspect you got infected a few days before being vaccinated.
    As far as being immune goes, I'm not counting on it, even now (two weeks after 2nd jab). I'll still be avoiding crowds etc. as much as I can.
    baldstan: thank you! I'm not great at fundraising but thought I'd try with the Slam.
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I’ll be dot watching too, hope it goes well Debra! Great charities I did the Eden project marathon with five talents in 2019 so got to hear about their work and raise some money for them. And this week have been logging my miles for their tour de talents... so please pass on my thanks to Rel as the updates they have been sending during the tour are really inspiring and motivating!
  • Mc Hilly: Thank you for your donation! Rel says she remembers you from that wet Eden Project run, and she says hi.
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Good luck Debra.

I’ll be double marking the Henley to Streatley section.