Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    We had a frost here again today!
  • runjoerun91runjoerun91 ✭✭✭
    SJ - You don't need to smash it every session. My club doesn't have any tempo runs in a suitable range but I have thought of going along and just treating one as a recovery run and enjoying a bit of company.
    Wardi - sounds like you're a day behind us in terms of weather. I'll give you a heads up when rain is heading your way ;) 
    CC2 - The wind is a kick in the teeth but you got it done. Nice.
    TR - I'm sure you're due fresh legs sometime soon. 

Swelling in the achilles is down. Walking is pain-free. So I'll keep an eye on it. Another hour banked on the bike yesterday, if nothing else it keeps me burning some calories. Hopefully i'll resume running on Sunday / Monday if it keeps improving.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Joe.. good to hear the Achilles has settled down a bit, the bike will keep things ticking over.

Speaking of weather predictions, I managed precision timing of the highest order this morning. A pleasant 12.8m around my favorite racecourse and environs, mostly in the sun.  Clouded over a bit in the last 2 miles.  Got back to the car, changed my shirt and it promptly started pouring it down. Wetting avoided!
    I'm tempted to watch the Chamionship action tomorrow (12.30 kick off).  If Derby get relegated Wayne Rooney will be even more grumpy than usual. 🙄
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Wardi - I am forever impressed by your rain dodging abilities.  A nice sounding run.
    Joe - That sounds much better news. A few days off would have probably done you some good at this stage. 
    TR - They gave competitors the choice of doing the swim or not, or if in the Oly doing the sprint swim, so they've tried to be very accommodating.

Thanks for the sympathy in missing the triathlon - it gets worse.  I've also noticed I am also a DNS for the Geneva marathon hybrid their running this week/ weekend, which was moved from 2020.   Another entry fee lost. My easy 20m on Sunday has now materialised into a run with 3 clubmates, all sub3 runners and London bound, 15 @ 7.15 pace, so tag a warm-up and cool-down and that should be 20. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - good news on the improvement, hopefully you are running again soon.

Wardi - not much chance of a dry run tomorrow morning though.

OO - sounds like a tidy run in the offing sunday.

6m back in this morning.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    18m easy effort today, legs are coming good.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Joe - better news re the Achilles. 

OO - that's annoying re Geneva. Tasty run lined up for tomorrow as TR noted. 

Wardi - that was a nicely timed run with the weather dodging. 

TR - nicely easing the volume back up. I'm at that point where strength is returning but am conscious there is plenty of time to achieve full fitness. Slowly, slowly etc. 

Iffy recovery run on Thurs where I thought of nothing but food the whole way whilst again freezing my bits and bobs off. Decent run yesterday with the trail shoes on in local country park, a couple of laps and out and back along canal to bring up 12km. 

After a soaking walking my dog first thing this morning then headed out for 10km with some strides which felt good. Hill run in the offing tomorrow but am hoping to join club mates for 30km instead. Forecast again looking wet and windy. 

• Anyone know how to fix a Garmin that won't turn on? Everything I can find online for resets involves pressing menu buttons and I can't get to those. It was fine on Thursday, rest day yesterday, today.... nada. Won't switch on, won't charge, computer doesn't acknowledge it if I plug it in to that. Checked the charger on Stuart's watch and that works fine, checked my watch on Stuart's charger, still nothing. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - it was a wet and windy run today for sure.

CC - google shows plenty of solutions with holding down buttons or sliding them.
  • I didn't find anything useful at all on google, everything involved the watch being on to begin with. 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A steady 9 and then a dose of AZ followed by taking it easy. So far, only a sore arm from the vaccine, and hoping it stays that way!
  • Tried that, nothing happens :(
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    It might need a call to Garmin support, then. Or the last rites!
  • It has come back to life. I swear I did nothing different this time to what I'd been doing before, but this time it lives! 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    My usual 'go to' when my 230 used to freeze occasionally was press & hold the top left button for 15 secs (this would turn it off).  Then turn on again and all was well.  Glad you got it revived anyway CC2 - if all your stuff is uploaded delete the memory on the device - I have known a full memory to cause problems before.

TR.. true grit doing 18m in soggy weather, good to hear the legs are reovering well.

Jools.. nice run and fingers crossed the injection doesn't cause any nasty effects.  My 1st AZ was pain & symptom free, 2nd one due later this month so hoping for similar.
    SJ.. hope you get a run in either way, it was ghastly here this morning so left the run until mid afternoon.
    5.3m done with a few light showers, warmer than expected so felt slightly overdressed.
    edited May 2021
    Had to reset my frozen on fenix 3 yesterday. Press and hold top left button as Wardi says turned it off and on again. 

Had my AZ first jab about 6 weeks ago. I felt awful for 12 hours or so. Sweated it out and was fine thereafter. I've heard various theories regarding if you have a reaction or not. 

Decision made. 30k on the roads planned for 8am. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I'm still feeling fine after 6.5 hours, although I've mostly just loafed on the sofa with my kindle and a cat. Quite relieved, as it's my partner's birthday on Monday so we're meeting his parents for pizza tonight and then lunch with his brother tomorrow.

Glad the Garmin has stopped playing silly buggers, Speedy. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Jools - as a normally healthy person you should be ok by tomorrow even if you feel a bit crap later this evening. It made me feel rough for a few days but I'd had CV, it made the spo proper poorly, she had bad headaches again for 5 days plus a lot of the CV symptoms again. She has jab 2 this week, so is a bit apprehensive as she knows what's potentially coming.

Wardi - it wasnt cold, just wet and windy. I had a Helly base layer underneath so was ok.

Good man SJ

I went to the brewery yday and picked up 4 pints of Old Dick, had 1/2 of it last night. Kept the rest on reserve for later. Who doesnt like some Old Dick of an evening?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Seeing as i ran long in the wind and rain yday, i thought it only fair to do my aerobics on the turbo today as it was a dry and warmish morning.
  • runjoerun91runjoerun91 ✭✭✭
    TR - good restraint shown there just to have a half.
    SJ - hope the 30k goes well. Nice to do that with some company.
    Jools - hope the post dose feel good continues.

Tried to run this morning but only managed half a mile. Its not painful but is uncomfortable and I don't want further setbacks. Headed out for 40 mins on the bike afterwards. I've got a week to get back on my feet or I'll have to give it up.
    edited May 2021
    TR - hehe.. you'll have to tell me one day what you did to upset the weather gods so much. 

Joe - that sucks. Right decision to have a go and stop if it isn't right. Hopefully it comes good in time. Tough to take though. All you can do is wait and see and obviously keep at anything you've been told to do by the physio. 

Jools - hope post jab you're still feeling fine. 

30.5k in 2.24 done and dusted before 10:30am. Felt good. Had half a mind to run the extra 1.5km for the 20 miles but stuck to my program. Plenty of time for them. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    TR - 18m 2 weeks out, impressive. Not Jooligan standard but decent nonetheless. So what beer type is Old Dick, sounds potentially dangerous. I've had a session ages ago drinking Old Rodger and you certainty don't want to mess with that?

Joe - Thats massively disappointing. All you can do is take it easy this week and do all you can to improve it.  What you don't want to do is force it and give yourself a long term injury. There are plenty of marathons out there. 

SJ - Thats an excellent run, bet that felt good and your starving now.  

Jools - Hope your feeling OK post jab.

CC2 - Thank the lord that's sorted. Otherwise massively frustrating.

Ran with 3 clubmates this morning, 16m with them @ average 7.10 mm at a  good chatty pace  with 5 miles@ 6.40 pace chucked in. 2 more added getting there and 3 getting home  including a last mile hill with 400 ft of climbing. So 21m @ 2.35 probably my most tiring single run for 18 months, all on one bottle of water. Bushed now, but Sunday lunch on the way and deliberating between 2 favourites, Proper Job or London Pride, which could get the shout. 
    edited May 2021
    OO - that's a very tasty run indeed. No wonder you are depleted. Enjoy the sunday lunch and the beers, have both I would say. I have 3 x proper jobs waiting for me and the grand prix. Earned the feet up after just finishing mowing the lawn!

Speaking of beers with 'Old' in the name, I used to love Old Thumper from the New Forests finest: Ringwood Brewery. They must have lost the contract for Tesco and Morrisons as can't find it up here anymore. I'll have to go direct I guess. Get some Boondoggle in as well, possibly a favourite of yours Jooligan? :) 

Sub3 does beer chat ! 

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    I once tried Biddendens cider at a pub in Ripon.  It was clear, crisp and tasted lovely.  However after 2 pints I was feeling a bit 'merry' - checked at the blackboard behind the bar and found it was 8.5% 🙄
    OO.. cracking long run, trotting along with company does seem to up the pace.  Enjoy the beer and nosh.
    SJ.. similarly that's a great run done before elevenses.  Well deserved beers too.🍻
    Joe.. tendons don't heal as fast as muscles sadly.  Stick to the bike for now and give it a bit more time.
    TR.. nice work on the turbo, yes surprisingly warm & dry today.

I do believe my dodgy leg is on the mend.  I guess the cortisone has gradually worked it's way through the affected area. Previously when I stretched to my toes my right knee would start to spasm, this isn't happening now.  More encouraging - an 11m run this morning was 35 secs per mile quicker than last week with no extra effort, quite breezy too.  My right leg is firing much better without the numbness and aching, it is still there but about 70% improved.  A mini celebration with a couple of Kingfishers and spicy accompaniment will follow later.
    About 400m from my house as the crow flies there is a fairground set up on the local football ground.  They have their own MC, the mixture of trance/disco and screaming kids is great entertainment when I'm in the conservatory or garden 🙂

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear the Achilles isn't quite right, Joe, but you did the right thing by trying it but then backing off.

I felt fine until about 9pm last night and then got the chills, the shivers and my temperature shot up. Still feel a bit rough now, although much improved. Decided there was little to gain from an easy run, so took an extra rest day. Hopefully back to it tomorrow!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - well done for stopping. Might be worth lifting the pressure and letting this mara go. Doesnt sound like you'll be able to run a decent distance for a while. Theres plenty of other maras spread through the summer and autumn.

SJ - well done on the long run. Old Thumper is s bit dark for me. I like Boondoggle, but 49er is my favourite of theirs.

OO - good run that, shows you're in good shape. I enjoy the effort long runs much more, but they can set me back a but if i do too many (like i did Feb to March)........Old Dick is named after the old guy that was the brewer, its pretty weak. Id take Proper Job over London Pride for sure......18 yday is standard, sets me up for a 20 next weekend, and time for another 5 after that.

Wardi - sounds positive, nice.

Jools - very wise. I had my jab on the Tues, didnt run Weds, was a bit flat Thurs and Fri, but had a slow and tired long run on the Saturday. You will hopefully bounce back quicker as you never had CV.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure I had Covid in March 2020, but it was when they only tested hospital admissions. I had no sense of taste or smell, fever and achy chest for about 4 days.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Oh ok, best be careful for a few more days then.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Hope it's short lived Jools.  My club mate suffered from it recently, he said it felt like a bad hangover for about 48 hours then fizzled out.  Strange how it affects different people worse than others.