Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Right decision 👍
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Right decision indeed, Jools.
    6 on the trails today, easy going. 10 for the week.  :D

Plan is to do a week of short stuff with mixed pace to come back sensibly.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    At least it was a short lived reaction Jools.  And you were probably overdue a cut back week!

Good to see MsE and G-D off the bench.  Just make sure there's no return.

A good milestone to reach OO.  You're well ahead of me.

Nice 1K reps from Speedy and DT.  Are you doing the reps at 5K or 10k pace?

Good cross training Gul although you missed an opportunity for some hill sprints.

18 miles late afternoon in rather breezy conditions.  Mainly a cross wind so not too bad.  Pace a little quicker than expected, so 7:43, to give 73 miles for the week.  With twenty weeks to Berlin, the endurance is starting to return.  Just need to find a bit of speed now.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    SBD have you booked flights for Berlin? What do you think the chances are?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good going, oo.

Gul, not tried the Herefordshire beacon, my loyalty is with Worcestershire! Hope the weekend has gone well. 

Jools, funny old business the vaccine. I've seen friends have a range of responses.

Nice 18, sbd. Same pace as my 13. I still have a Berlin place booked this year. Must cancel it as want to tackle a one off October London. 

Gdawg, good to hear you can run again. 

Easy 13.1 today at 7.43mm. Went out at 1pm and was surprised how much more draining a minor temp increase was. I guess having spent last summer injured I'm completely unacclimatised to warmish weather. 

Decent week planned this week then taper gor my 10k.

Had a drama late last week when my half on 30th May in Chepstow was cancelled as Welsh government haven't agreed to racing. Managed to find a half on same day at Kempston race course. It's a 30 min further drive but starts an hour later. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - glad you're healing up nicely. Just take it easy for a little while.
    MsE - coming along there. I'm sure some of us push too far sometimes though!
    Jools - sounds very unpleasant. Hope you recover quickly.
    OO - banking those miles again :smile:
    SBD - all going according to plan. Think I'll stick to Norfolk "hill" sprints 
    DT - shame you'll have a longer drive. Sounds like you're doing a tour of the racecourses! Sorry we crossed the border. We did get a good view of the Worcestershire beacon though!
    10 steady miles this morning. Might even manage an MLR this week!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    No flights booked yet OO.  Despite the airline prices increasing, I'm not feeling confident enough of the marathon going ahead to book.  Not too sure how long to wait before taking the plunge!

London in October is very appealing DT but I'm not sure I could get a GFA place in Berlin next year so this might be my only opportunity.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Morning all.  I felt quite a lot better today so braved a gentle 5 miler (8.25s).  A nice morning out.

DT: I nearly entered that Chepstow half but then decided I wasn't quite race fit.  Glad I didn't!  I hear you about the temperatures: last Thursday I had to run in the evening, which I've barely done since the start of lockdown 1, and the difference in temperature and air quality (especially given all the frosty mornings we've been having!) meant I really struggled to hit any sort of pace.  I pretty much gave up and just did 10 x 1 minute hard to at least turn the legs over.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul, I'm disappointed in you but i'll leave it at that....

SBD, yes fair point re GFA.

Jools, good to hear you've recovered swiftly. I think I've run once in the evening since last April! Though I don't run early so I've mostly run at lunchtime.

4m Recovery today.

I've heard that parkrun have reported that only 20% of events have received landowners permission to restart on 05th June. Based on the argument they themselves put to landowners when seeking permission, on those numbers it seems hugely unlikely it will be able to start then.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    It has to be said I'm really disappointed at the way parkrun are trying to get people to put pressure on landowners to allow events to re-start again.  I know parkrun is important, but plenty of those councils have got quite a lot of other things to worry about at the moment (not least the fact that decision-making will have been slowed by local elections), and it feels completely inappropriate.  When Little Stoke parkrun had the plug pulled parkrun handled it really sensitively, and discouraged people from bombarding the relevant council, because they could tell it might backfire.  It looks like that light touch and commonsense has gone.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, a few people I've spoken to on the topic have expressed the view that parkruns approach to this is completely contrary to the general ethos and culture of parkrun.

The risk though very much is that parkrun will be a victim of it's own ease of access in that nobody can control the numbers that turn up so some, such as Canon Hill in Birmingham which was regularly getting close to 1000 runners, in essence ends up becoming an unregulated and uncontrollable mass event.

When only 30 people can still only attend a wedding or funeral, local authorities may be questioned if  100s of runners gather for a mass start 5k on a Saturday morning in a public space. You can't really make parkrun covid safe to the same extent as  an organised race can.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Joolska said:
    It has to be said I'm really disappointed at the way parkrun are trying to get people to put pressure on landowners to allow events to re-start again.  I know parkrun is important, but plenty of those councils have got quite a lot of other things to worry about at the moment (not least the fact that decision-making will have been slowed by local elections), and it feels completely inappropriate.  When Little Stoke parkrun had the plug pulled parkrun handled it really sensitively, and discouraged people from bombarding the relevant council, because they could tell it might backfire.  It looks like that light touch and commonsense has gone.
    As much as the ethos of parkrun aligns with my belief in the power of movement, community, and wellbeing, I find their approach totally jarring. 
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Ooh that was quite a prickly statement wasn't it? I obviously harbour deep feelings about it. Hmmm.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Interesting views on parkrun. I'm a huge fan but now you mention it I also thought it was unwise when I read that statement about pressuring land owners. This opens potential for all kinds of unintended consequences.
    SBD I booked flights a while ago when things were looking more positive. At least they were pretty cheap though.
    Run and swim for me today. I have a 5k virtual on Thursday and a 3k track race a week today so in search of some speed in the legs. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Huge parkrun fan here, but they've done themselves no favours this last 15 months or so.  It appears they somehow think they're "special" when basically every other business has had to adjust, they haven't wanted to; no consideration of waved starts, for example (not saying it would be easy and I know they want no barriers to entry, but they've not considered it).  Tom Williams and the other head honchos have come across really badly in my opinion, even Tweeting about wanting legal help to help manage any PR should LA's not provide permission to their timescales (even though they hadn't contacted the LA's until late on).  Even choosing 5th June to reopen was silly - why not wait another 2 weeks to align with what everyone else was gearing up for in relation to the roadmap?  They're in danger of damaging all the relationships that have been built up over the years.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Tom Williams was the reason I stopped listening to Marathon Talk 🙄
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Jools - pleased to hear you're feeling better. I was only just thinking last week how cold it still is in the early morning and couldn't believe I was still wearing 3 top layers in May! Down to 2 now.
    Hadn't realised how parkrun was going about relaunching - shows how much I read their emails!
    5 mile recovery run this morning.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Double dog jog covering about 6 miles (it made for a very slow and stop-starty run as I stopped to encumber myself with another poo bag each time a dog decided to relieve itself). Ended with some strides to get some pep in the legs.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice unstructured canine intervals there, MsE. My little mutt is nearly a year old and I reckon his tiny legs will be good for an evening 5k recovery when I'm in campaign next month. Any recommendations for a canicross lead?

Mini running streak here with 4 short runs in a row since rib injury comeback on Saturday. Popped in a cheeky fartlek yesterday on a 5 mile road circuit and did 5 miles of easy trails today. No real discomfort from the ribs or the pulled ab, so can continue with what feels like a reverse taper.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    G-Dawg said:
    Nice unstructured canine intervals there, MsE. My little mutt is nearly a year old and I reckon his tiny legs will be good for an evening 5k recovery when I'm in campaign next month. Any recommendations for a canicross lead?

Try the Dogfit canicross starter kit here. I used to be a Dogfit canicross instructor and can highly recommend the advice you will get on choosing the right size equipment. Give them a call or send an email enquiry. (Maybe see if they will offer you a discount if you mention I sent you!)

And go easy won't you? 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    I tried a few runs with our Labrador a while back but that was a bit stop/start.  We had some fun on the sprints though.

Tempo Tuesday is back on the schedule.  Have built this up to 10K over the last few weeks with a few easy miles either side to make up the 10 miles.  The Garmin was impressed with tonight's effort with a 5.0 on the training effect scale and a recommended recovery time of 72 hours! Not too sure it's going to like me doing a 12.5 mile MLR tomorrow.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    MsE - I tried running with the in-laws dig once but she didn't want to know!
    GD - progressing well. I'm sure you'll be sensible.
    SBD - nice tempo run.
    First MLR here today in a while. Put on my trail shoes and had a really enjoyable 11 miles by the river, through woods, cross-country and back into town.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Quiet yesterday :)  4 mile recovery run d&d.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

what sort of pace is that tempo currently coming out at, SBD?

Nice work on the MLR, Gul.

I see via FB that things seem to be happening with Berlin mara now and they are asking everyone to agree updated terms basically stating that if they can't race due to anything other than event organiser pulling event then place lost and no refund. I guess the organiser needs to know that if it bends over backwards to get the event on it isn't going to be met with masses of deferral and refund requests come late August.

4m recovery and spin yesterday.

A difficult session on Tuesday, first in a long while that hasn't gone my way. 6 x 1m off 1 min walk. Felt tough work in the first rep but I thought by the second i'd be in my stride, however I wasn't by the end of it I was looking for reasons to knock session on the head. I persevered but modified it by extending recovery to2  mins for the second half which got me through. Just felt a bit flat and lacking a top gear which is reflected in HR data, showing that I was performing below normal HR zone for that session.

Reps came out 5.56, 5.49, 5.53, 5.53, 5.52 and  5.50, which looks better than it felt!

Bit of s and c and an easy 6 today planned.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    That MLR sounds like it was really zen like Gul

Cracking effort SBD.

DT - smart move on increasing the recs. Still a good workout but I know what you mean when perception is way off feeling good. Is your RHR higher than usual maybe? Body under stress or coming down with something?

Aborted a tempo run today. Actually wanted to abort the whole run. The minute I started running I felt like lead and had zero energy. Stopped after 5K. Feeling knackered generally by life so maybe I need to do more resting and digesting than fight or flight stuff.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

MsE, That' kin of how I felt Tuesday. I did think I might have been as my fitbit stats for sleeping HR Monday night were 10% higher than my overall RHR at that time. Plus my wife and daughter had both had heavy colds last week so was expecting to get hit but nothing has developed. Perhaps it was underlying and body was working away to fight it off.

I think it's easier with reps to modify and bash on than a lengthier continuous tempo as it's mentally more manageable. I m always fearful that knocking what is a hard session anyway on the head can lead me to more easily persuade myself to do that in future when I am hurting from effort discomfort.

Hope you feel better/rested soon.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Sounds like DT19 and MsE both need a few easy days.  The inexplicably sh!te session happens to all of us occasionally: mine was last Thursday.  Having done km reps in the 6.10-20ss the previous week, I couldn't hold that pace for more than a minute 5 days later.  Go figure.

I took yesterday as a rest day and then did my MLR today.  I'd planned to do 12, but ended up with 13 (just outside 8s), as I came to a lane and found that a farmer was using it to move his cows from one field to another.  I didn't fancy my chances against an entire herd of cows if they spooked in a narrow lane, so turned around and went back by the shortest alternative route, but that still meant an extra mile.  (And yes, country mice can laugh at the town mouse freaking out at cows.  I can take it!)
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good cow dodging, Jools. I would have shouted loudly and asked them to Moooooove. 
    (Soz)

Well battled, MsE and DT. They can't all be good.

Rested yesterday rather than go to the track. Popped out at lunchtime for an undulating 8 miler at steady  pace. All very straight forward apart from legs still feeling tired and the ribs played up a tad as I think I slept on that side last night. All very manageable and averaged 7.23.
  • Is that.... tumbleweed?

Zombie run for me tonight. Got woken at 3am by my cat chasing a mouse around the bedroom. Where they hell she got a mouse from I do not know and do not want to know, but she'd been locked in since 9pm... Anyway, rescued it and sent it on it's merry way back to the field, but couldn't get back to sleep until 2 minutes before the alarm went off for my morning run. I turned it off and reset the alarm for 5 minutes before I needed to start work. That luxury will be going soon as we're going back to the office. Boooo. 40 minute commute each way, so morning runs will be off the agenda too. Only 2 days a week to start with, but I don't want to go back. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT. - good call on increasing the recoveries and finishing the session 
    MsE - yes, maybe you just need a bit of recovery.
    Jools - nice extended NKR. You could have said you were being considerate to the cows.
    Speedy - WFH is really convenient, isn't it? Our office has moved during lockdown, so if I do have to go in it's now a 70-75 min drive instead of a 10 min walk :(
    Had a tooth pulled yesterday which went okay and was told to avoid exercise for a while. I was told 24 hours but was given a printed information sheet which just said the day of the procedure. It was 20 hours later this morning and felt fine so did a slow 8 miles keeping close to home jic and all went okay.