Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    My wife would kill me if I bought another expensive pair of Nike shoes SBD
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - that's still a very impressive time.
    DT - hope you get ideal conditions for 10k.
    Jools. - good discipline keeping up the s and c.
    GD - glad the side effects were minimal.
    MsE - nice run in the woods. I decided it's a bit too wet underfoot at the moment for that, but yes, running in the daylight now.
    TR - sorry, all this shoe talk is over my head :)
    SBD - nothing other than London on my radar currently.
    Had enough time to do the longest run of the week today, so 14 miles @7:40/m avg.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

SBD, setting aside the carbon fibre shoe boom, it's still quite remarkable that you race in gt-2000s.

You wont get near NY mara this year. All 33k places have been allocated to those with 2020 places who opted for 2021 as their first choice option. There's no ballot or time qualifiers this year.

Lewis is working at the event on the commentator mic so i'm on my own!

TR- I'm in for a 20m race at Bedford on what I think is same day as Goodwood. As you say, it'd have to be a pretty warm spell to get too hot by mid morning.

I agree re tomorrow, it's no great loss if I bomb out. It's only a 10k and I can go again in no time.

Gul, nice early 14.

MsE, I still can't shift my mindset in shorter races from going out fast and holding on.

Rest day today in advance of tomorrow. I think looking at the forecast the race comes 12 hours too late. Tonight or tomorrow morning would have been great. The race is 4 laps of I am guessing just over 1.5m so looking positively at that, I may only need to a few minutes at a time into it then have its benefit. Just depends on the setting of the course.

Eitherway, it's great to be racing.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    13 for me at 8s on the nose.  I felt a bit heavy legged, and then did the maths as I ran, and realised that was because my rolling 7 day total was 76 miles.  I've got sports massage tomorrow, so I'll plod through a run tomorrow morning and then have a rest on Friday.  The legs are definitely looking forward to it!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hope there were little or no jab side effects, MsE
    I went away from Ascis GT2000 to the Nike ZoomFly for racing, SBD. I noticed that my legs were heavy at the end of races and the Asics felt flat, no cushioning. Having a specifically designed race shoe that's lightweight and good cushioning and a carbon plate made a big difference for me. If I have a good London campaign I'll get the super fancy pants versions.

Happy to report that I seemed to follow the anecdotal pattern of having had Covid, felt rough on jab 1 and not so bad on jab 2. Just a woozy feel yesterday morning and that's it. Arm is tender to touch but not aching as before.

Felt good enough for an easy 7 miles on the trails at lunchtime.
    More easy stuff for the rest of the week.
  • CC2 - Speedy GothCC2 - Speedy Goth ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    OO54 said:
    Those Endorphins seem to be popular MsE with good reviews. I saw someone wearing them for our track race last night so assume they are not on the banned list 🤔
    They absolutely are on the banned list! Even the low profile Adizero Pro are on the banned list for track. Max stack height 25mm for races of 800m and longer. I'm having to wear my ancient Adios for the 1500 tonight, and spikes for the 400 because the max stack allowed is 20mm for that one. I've attempted to attach the latest compliance list.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I think the officials were not enforcing the rules Speedy. On reflection I wish I'd worn spikes. Good luck tonight- I have 800 and 1500 on June 7th.
    No wonder you are tired Jools 😳

• I got that list from the Masters League, who sent it out advising that team managers should ensure their athletes all comply. Who knows if they'll actually enforce it or not. I don't have any legal shoes for the shot put (yes, I'm doing a shot put!). 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    At least there's one advantage to not having forked out for carbon shoes: I can do track races in my regular racers!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

and not be at an immediate disadvantage, Jools!

Good new son the second jab, g-dawg. I used to wear asics gt2000 for everything. Easy runs, sessions, races of all distances then in about 2016 I moved to nike zoom streak for racing and just developed from there.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the shot put Speedy 🤣
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - all the best with the 10k race 
    Jools - hope your legs enjoy the recovery.
    GD - good news on the 2nd jab 
    Speedy - how did the 1500m and the shot put go?
    5 mile recovery run this morning.
  • Well, everything was delayed (of course) so I had to literally sprint over from the finish of the 400m to the shot put, had no practice throws so the first time I ever even picked up a shot in my life, got a legal throw of 3m25, could have improved on it but there was no time as I had to get over to the start of the 1500! I manged to mess up my watch and failed to stop it until I had driven over 50 miles home, but I pressed 'lap' at 5 mins 10. There was no clock and they weren't putting results up on a board to reduce crowding, so I'll have to wait for my official times. No clue for the 400 as I didn't record it myself on the watch. 

I was hoping for a little quicker in the 1500, but I was too scared to lead the race. I've never been at the front on a 1500. They'd lumped our race in with the older fellas to try to claw back lost time so I just sat in behind David Oxland and let him lead. We went through 300m on target but then I couldn't do the maths after that so didn't realise we weren't on 5.07 pace. I did think it felt too comfortable but just not confident enough to trust that feeling. At the bell I went past David and ran my fastest lap and wasn't dying at the end. I'll have to do another one now and just take the race out if there's no-one fast there.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That sounds a little chaotic darting from one event to the next speedy so probably not optimal to get the best from any of them I suppose.

The 1500 though, I would imagine would take a few attempts to really find your suffer point.

Well weather forecast hasn't improved so it is what it is. On a plus, weight is pretty much back to Dorney weight and that makes me 11lb lighter (5kg?) than the last time I raced a 10k. I'm hoping the gains from that will offset the wind then it's just down to additional fitness.

Bag is completely packed ready to go out the door such is my raceday excitement. Just need to somehow focus on work for 7 hours!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done, Speedy.  Sounds like a busy night.

Best of luck tonight, DT.

A ploddy off-road 9 for me at 8.28s this morning.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    You'll be doing the heptathlon before you know it Speedy.

Good to hear DT and G-D are secret GT2000 fans.  My hesitancy in moving to racing shoes is more to do with my wide feet and the need to have a comfortable fitting shoe to avoid injuries.  And the fact that I'm relatively slow at short distances!  I do have a pair of Next% 2 arriving today so will see how they fit.

More good easy miles G-D and good to hear only minor post-jab issues.

Good recovery miles Gul.

Good luck with the 10K DT.  I used to work on the basis that a weight drop of 4Kg was worth 1:40 over 10K so you should be flying.  Find someone tall and fast to shelter behind.

A steady 10 miles yesterday afternoon, average 7:45/m.  Good to avoid the rain and it actually felt quite warm so shorts and vest.  It's strange how wearing the vest makes you want to run faster!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - all the best, go for it.

SBD - not sure how much 2000 weigh but i was running marathons in standard mileage trainers up until 2019, such as Saucony Triumph or Asics Nimbus. Only switching to Rides then which are still a mileage shoe but lighter, so there's gains to be had, for sure. Ill use the Next for an mp run or two before a marathon. Id rather do a 1/2 in them but dont have any pencilled in.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Quick work between and during events there, Speedy. Nice one!

Good luck with the 10k, DT. Hope the weather is good for you.

Big winds forecast for tomorrow around these parts, so I nipped out for 6 steady miles at lunchtime. Winds were building nicely, so it was pointless trying to fight it for anything quick.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great multi tasking Speedy and you did well at the main event.
    Good luck DThope it goes well.

Run and swim here today, so truelly pooped 😴
    The run was my first hill session for ages. Tough but enjoyable. 

Nowhere near vest weather here SBD. I'm a cold morsel. The hat has gone but I'm still in thin gloves 

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Love your can do attitude Speedy! So much admiration for having a go at shot putt.

Getting very excited for your 10K DT...

SBD - great average pace. You and Jools are doing well on the mileage pre-campaign! V excited to see how you both go.

Had a 20 min split tempo today to ease back into things. It was a total failure as I quickly realised my legs were very heavy from yesterday's Zwift session. So instead of 10-5-5 opted for 7-7-6. Friend who I ran with (used to be a pro cyclist) explained never to do a session in the red zones the day before a run session. This cycling as a runner malarky is quite hard to master! Headaches and fatigue came on this afternoon. I think Monday's second Covid jab may be taking effect. #antibodyalert 

Wonder how GD is feeling after his?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    No real glory to report sadly. 10 mins before the Start, whilst vested and standing around, the heavens opened and the wind picked up. 

We started slightly uphill but also directly into an obscene headwind. At 400m I wanted to go home and felt I'd capitulate and do well to run sub 39. 

I persevered however and hung on tightly to a 37.22 (5.58mm) so a nominal 12s pb. Not what I was after but the weather was atrocious. 

Finished 10th and 2nd in age. Some basic po10 stalking and it appears I faired relatively better than my fellow runners. I think I'm one of 2 pbs in the top 15 with most 60-90s off theirs. So hopefully I'm not as far off a strong 36, pushing sub 36 as that time might suggest. 

What was interesting was that my average hr was 168,  5 less than my Feb tt. I've noticed this in spin and running sessions in last 2 weeks, as per my recent poor session, I can't seem to work hard enough to take my HR into that top end zone. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fair play to you DT, the wind was awful today. You defo have sub 36 in there given yr solo TT. Probably still not back to 100% given the mara. Ive struggled in a 1/2 4 weeks after a mara to really be able to dig deep.......it was a tough day, but good prep for yr 1/2, and a reminder to be thankful thatcthe weather ruined a 10k and not a mara campaign. Onwards and upwards.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Assuming your weather was as bad as ours, it's genuinely a great result, DT. I would also hazard a guess there's some Central Governor stuff going on here, if you're a Noakes fan: i.e. you did want to run a decent 10k, but it's not your absolute A goal, and you knew the conditions weren't favourable. This meant when you really needed to be able to put yourself in the hurt box, your body let you ease back a bit.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Agree with others, dreadful weather here too. 10ks are 10 a penny though, so take the PB, regather, and have another crack at glory later in the year. 
    Triple day yesterday. 2 easy runs and a swim. The first run included some hill reps which I haven't done for ages. Tough but fun.
    Saddened by the parkrun delay but not unexpected. I see they have dragged Lord Coe into the landowner bashing.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Speedy - sounds a bit frenetic - great effort all round and I'm sure you can go faster.
    DT - unlucky with the weather, but that's impressive in those conditions.
    SBD - it's several years since I've swapped shorts for anything else but not vest weather here yet!
    TR - my method of choosing which shoes to race in is to pick the ones with the fewest miles :(
    OO - I have managed to ditch the gloves now. Nice double.
    MsE - yes that sounds like side effects from the jab. Take it easy.
    Jools - you beat me today :) I had a quick spot of gardening to do before posting this morning.
    9 easy miles d&d.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I haven't managed the garden for a few days Gul due to the dreadful weather. Glad your runs are gradually creeping up 👍
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Tough conditions DT.  You did well to keep going and you can't complain about a PB!  Just need to find another 10K in better conditions.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good work, DT. It would have been mentally tougher knowing the A goal wasn't really on, so well done for digging in and taking something away from it. Grabbing a PB in rotten conditions is quite a feat in itself, well done mate.

Rest day here as the wind is bending trees sideways. MsE, I just mentioned to a colleague that my steady run yesterday was a bit, "meh!", felt harder than it should have due to the wind but also I reckon the vaccine was doing its thing even though I felt nowhere near as bad as the first jab.

Hitting the hills tomorrow for some long slow miles.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Thanks all, still feel slightly mixed about it as had my heart set on a 36.xx.

Jools, there is some mileage in what you say re Noakes as I think over the last few days, watching the forecast develop, i'd talked myself out of anything good coming out of the race.

Tr/OO- Yes I am grateful it was just a midweek 10k that was ruined and as you say, it's pretty easy to find and race a 10k at most points.

Barely had any sleep last night, got home about 9.45 and had really bad stomach ache, like a trapped wind feel. Managed to fall asleep about 12, then woke just before 2 and it was just too uncomfortable to nod off with so got up until about 4am. I guess the plus of work from home is that I can sit here in my comfies and not have to engage with colleagues etc and have a lunchtime sleep!

OO- I think the cause picked up momentum a touch too late. It only really came to the mainstream Monday onwards. I think it is also fair to say that one problem is, whilst all these other events are getting a bashing for being allowed to go ahead, they've all been flexible in their model and introduced covid measures. Parkrun has point blank refused to give at all and the biggest factor with it as the unknown quantity of how many might turn up.

I believe that if parkrun, like everyone else had come up with a short term covid plan ie pre-booked spaces limited to 200 say and you receive a specific event barcode then it might have had a chance. With the parkrun lovers generally being an ethical bunch i'm quite sure the vast majority would have accepted this.

In any event, after the 21st June (though who knows what that might bring) seemed a far more logical date all along.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    DT19 said:

We started slightly uphill but also directly into an obscene headwind. At 400m I wanted to go home and felt I'd capitulate and do well to run sub 39. 

I persevered however and hung on tightly to a 37.22 (5.58mm) so a nominal 12s pb. Not what I was after but the weather was atrocious. 

What was interesting was that my average hr was 168,  5 less than my Feb tt. I've noticed this in spin and running sessions in last 2 weeks, as per my recent poor session, I can't seem to work hard enough to take my HR into that top end zone. 
    So much positive stuff in there, DT. Weather checking is guaranteed to make you focus on the negatives even before you line up. Humans are hardwired to focus on the negatives as a throwback to our cave days. The combination of the uphill and headwind was all you needed to compound this, hence the "at 400m I wanted to go home" feeling and self-talk "do well to run sub-39". Not surprising.

What is really an achievement is that you still got a PB. It may not have been the one you wanted (36:xx) but you can see how the conditions alone should have made you put any time goals to one side. I am not sure you could argue that 23 seconds can define what is success/failure either. It seems so arbitrary in the grand scheme of things.

The HR observation is notable as I think this suggests you were holding yourself back psychologically. I find Noake's theory insufficient and like the explanation offered by Samuel Marcora. If you haven't heard of him you can hear a bit about his take on it here. For the nerds among us, his oft cited paper is here.