Ran a 5K with no walk break for the first time

This probably isn't a big deal to most people but to me it's a milestone. I have to say that it is invigorating and motivating. I started running a few weeks ago when my BJJ gym closed down because of the virus, with the goal of getting better cardio and picking up a hobby to replace the BJJ void for a while. I think I have found a new lifelong passion instead of a temporary fixation. I've been running 3 times a week. Today, I ran for 3.2 miles without stopping for a walk break and I can't describe how happy that made me. I feel like a runner now! Anyone else try running during this pandemic and accidentally fall in love with it?

Comments

• Hey Tarccon.
     Well done .
    I’ve never ran in my life but took up the couch to 5 k challenge as I’m 53 now and thought it best.
     This week I completed one road 5 k and one trail 5 k . <div> Not fantastic times 33 minutes and 34 respectively but so so happy .
     Trading for 10 k from next week 😊
     hss as e you tried trail running ye? . so much more interesting .
     </div>
  • Actually, I'd say that *is* a big deal to most people. Maybe not to experienced runners on this forum but most people can't run 5k with walking, let alone without. So congrats!! I'm impressed!  :) 
  • Hi Taroccon,
    Its a massive deal - very well done just keep at it nice and steady to avoid injury by not pushing to hard just yet, alot on here seem to go at it hell for leather when starting out, getting injured, but nice and very easy to start to get joints and muscles and bones accustomed to the pounding they get whilst out pounding the pavements.
    Just set little goals after a few weeks and try to maintain the regular workout week after week, its doing it REGULARLY that counts, after a while you get used to a certain distance, but try to increase with very small amounts as to ease the body into it.
    I'm 55 been jogging for nearly a year now, have a GPS watch to track mileage and a Heart Rate Chest strap to keep an eye on things, but dont worry too much about pace and distance, just go with the flow on how I feel day after day and mix up the intensity with mainly easy Zone 2 days with the odd day of intervals thrown in.
    Reading this, I bet you think I'm going hell for leather at it, I'm not, just easy jogging 80% of the time with a little and I do mean, a little higher intensity thrown in.
    But I'm 5 stone lighter than when I started the walking, upto fast walking and easing myself into jogging, at my age I'm not going to break any records but its just nice to know that I must be doing things correct.
    Paul.
  • I've just started a 5KM run each week. I can make it all the way round without a break which is great but I'm very very slow. Barely running really. My last run I did get a bit more energy half way round and thought I could probably up the pace but didn't know if I should. I guess I'd rather finish every time than keep a quicker pace and pull up short. Any of you have the same issue or advice? I'm finishing in around 40 minutes at the moment.
  • Hi Gimli, very well done mate, your on the road now just keep at it, dont worry too much about time and pace yet, just enjoy the challenge of completing each run.
    I'm just about jogging now for around 1 1/2 hours completing around 5 or 6 mile circuits some with hills and some with more flat to change things up a little.
    I've been jogging for around a year now, I'm 55 around 12 stone 12 pounds now and keeping the weight off.I was around 17 stone when I first started, but changed my diet and started jogging from walking then fast walking, so worked my way up to my present Jogg.
    Just concentrate on finishing for now, then after a while, just increase either time on your feet or pace but a VERY steady increase over many weeks, just so as you dont get injured, i think VERY gradual increases in metrics will keep the injuries away for now, but very well done on your progress up to now, I think its more about getting out REGULARLY, getting used to lacing your trainers up, putting the music on and out you go.
    I'm trying to cover about 30 - 35 mile per week now and trying every day to get out, legs and hips shaping up well but maintaining this will hopefully keep the injuries away.
    Ive been injury free up to now and have really done very steady increases in time/pace to avoid these.
    Stick at it and you will soon be reaping the benefits of regular exercise, like all of us on here.

Paul.
  • KryptoKrypto ✭✭
    That's awesome! I'm in a similar boat,  just did my first 5k a few weeks ago (28mins) and a 10k at the weekend (58mins). It's great to get outside and to be moving again
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    It depends what your goals are as to what you do next. If it's getting faster or going further as Paul says just take it easily and steadily. We've all had injuries where we've tried to push too hard too soon. But there are plans around that would take you through what you want to achieve. And as you say it's far better to finish, so if you feel comfortable with that then just carry on doing what you're doing.
  • well done, that’s a great achievement! 
  • well done, that’s a great achievement! 
  • I'm in a similar situation. New to running my times are slow my longest runs have been 5mils with a pace of 13.30. I think some sort of strength training would help with that and also to prevent injury