Sub 3h15

Comments

• An actual PB in last night's weather is a massive achievement DT. It was disgusting (as is today). I stuck to the treadie last night and rest day today. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - back in the garden today to get it ready for a Church service tomorrow afternoon.
    GD - hope the weather has improved and you are feeling better for today's hilly run.
    DT - 36:XX is definitely yours for the taking on a decent day and maybe even better than that.
    MsE - thanks for that; will check it out when I get a chance.
    12 slow miles avg 8:52/m. My body still has a bit of adapting to do the higher mileage again.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    10 miles with a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 pyramid. Legs felt very heavy post massage and the wind was a bit frisky. All in all a bit of a grind, but better done than not!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    I'm in the Lakes. 9 miles today with a 3 mile blast at the end * sub 7 each. I need 13 tomorrow to reach 60 in a heavy week with 4 swims.
    How long do you leave post massage Jools? I assumed it was best not to run till the next day 🤔
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Jools - haven't done a pyramid session in a long, long while. Hope your legs feel the benefit of the massage today.
    OO - nice way to finish your run. Enjoy your run today to round off the week.
    4 mile recovery run today to make 60 for the week.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    The massage was on Thursday (!) but was quite intensive because I was resting on Friday. Unusually it left my legs still battered yesterday. I'm hoping they're a bit better today!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Had a great laugh in the hills yesterday. I usually rely on navigation with mates doing it but I was in charge with another mate who had never run there before. I mapped a route using the Strava tool that showed me paths I’d run on before, very handy.

Pieced together a 16 miler and uploaded the GPX file to Garmin.
    Started off really well but I missed a couple of turns here and there as the route was very technical in some places,so there was some backtracking but it was also an exercise in getting used to the tech.

Ended up doing 19 miles and it was great fun. I’ll definitely be more accurate next time, the tech wasn’t totally to blame, it was very impressive.

Just a 4 mile recovery today which was also a hangover cure after hosting friends last night for the first time in ages. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Slightly annoyed to go over on my ankle this morning. Got round 12.5 miles after that, but then stopped to wait for some other runners I was joining for the last bit of my long run and it started to stiffen and ache, so bailed out at 14 and walked home. Giving it some RICE and hoping it's nothing too serious. Rest day tomorrow, though! 58 for the week instead of the planned 64 as a result.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Hope the ankle is OK Jools - were you running on rough ground?

Good work on the 19 hilly miler G-D - hopefully no snakes to contend with.

A good week's mileage Gul.

A bit windy here late afternoon but at least the rain held off.  Fortunately, the wind was mainly blowing from the side on the out and back cycle trail.  16 miles at an average 7:33/m - a little quicker than planned but the strides from yesterday seemed to have a positive effect on the leg turnover.  Gives me 66 miles for the cut-back week.

The 18-week schedule for Berlin starts tomorrow although this might become a 19-week schedule for London! 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - I've never had a watch which you can upload a route to. How does that work in practice? Does it give you audible directions or is it just visual? Well done getting back on track and good miles too.
    Jools - oh no!!! Hope it's not serious. Take care.
    SBD - nice pace for your MLR. Will you be following P&D? Looks like I'll be one week behind you :)
    12 miles with 12x100m strides to start the week.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice way to start the week, Gul.
    The watch (Garmin fenix 5) shows a map of the route with a green line showing where to go, turning black when you've been there. It vibrates when you go off course. Some of my trails had obscured entrances and were next to wider paths, so it was easy to go wrong. I found the zoom feature which helped.

The tech works really well overall, there's no way I could have found my way round that route without it.

Rest day today, can feel those extra miles in the thighs.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - sounds cool. Hope you enjoyed your rest day.
    6 mile recovery run today.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    The fenix does sound impressive GD especially for off road routes assuming signal is available. I'd struggle to spend that much on a watch.

Had a rest day after my 2nd vaccine on Sunday and a 60 mile week. Back to it today although still with a slight headache.
    Hope the ankle is ok today Jools that is bad luck.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I find i'm heavy legged for a couple of days post sports massage, Jools. I have one Thursday morning albeit a lighter one. Hope the ankle is good now.

Hope the headache fades, OO.

G-dawg, nice work on the 19. I have a club race a week sunday in Cotswolds and you are largely responsible for finding your own way and I had considered obtaining a gpx file from somewhere from previous runnings of the event and letting my garmin guide me but it all looks too complicated.

SBD, another good pre-schedule week. Fingers crossed you can get to Berlin.

Sounds like you are ticking over well, Gul.

Easy 14m for me sunday at 7.38mm. Then 5m recovery yesterday and spin. Off out shortly for a session ahead of sundays half. Looks like I might be caught by weather again, albeit sunshine and warmth. With an 11.30 start and blue skies forecast and 20c at midday it could be hard work!

On a plus runbritain liked my 10k giving me a performance score of -1.5 and a difficulty rating of 2.2 and quite a big handicap drop.

Away then next week in the lakes Monday-Friday a few miles outside Penrith. OO, do you know the area? The village we are staying just outside has 2 pubs but neither does food Monday-Wednesday so we will have to wander a little further afield than planned of an evening.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Penrith is the nearest town to Keswick DT where we are based as our getaway. Penrith is on the edge of the national park. It's a nice place with lots of medium sized shops etc. This is probably your best option locally. However I'm sure you'll head west towards Keswick along the A66 where you'll find the true Lakes. Keswick is tourist central (in a nice way) and stacked with pubs and places to eat. Try out the old railway path from Keswick to Threkeld- it's beautiful and and easy walk with kids. It's where the parkrun route follows if we ever get back. Take your off road shoes get up in them there fells. It's a shame I'm not over👍 
    Screwed up my watch setting this morning so no data on what felt like a hard swim. Speed session tonight.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

OO, thanks for the info, we are staying in a small village called Kirksowald which is 8m outside Penrith by looks and about 27m from Keswick. We had planned to check Carlisle out as well, is that nice enough? I haven't done my research yet, was going to sit down on weekend.

I probably won't get much running done as I am coming straight off a half and taking out travel, we only have 3 full days there.

TR- I note that you didn't get a 25% birthday code, however Nike currently have 30% off everything. I have just been on the Nike app and it appears to be everything except v2 Next %. It ,means though you can get a v1 version from £240 to £167 or a pair of Alphaflys for £181. Might be worth using Nikes free return service on the full price pair and repurchasing if they have your size. For anyone else thinking of taking the plunge for an Autumn mara perhaps, £167 is the price of a half decent standard Nike running shoe so now must be the time!

Talking of running, pretty decent session over lunch. As I have reported, I have been feeling a little off point in sessions and unable to work at higher HR, however today presented no such issue.

2M at half effort off 3 min easy followed by 5 x 1k at 10k effort off 90s easy. Covered 6.25m in 38.06 so 6.06mm with splits of;

5.49 and 5.49

3.28, 3.31, 3.26, 3.31 and 3.27

Probably a bit faster all round than Lewis intended but i was just delighted to be able to hit the higher zones again!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - good one on the session, im still creaking back to a bit of pace........i did see that 30%, i bought a pair of Pegs for £73, which is decent. I mulled over sending the ver2 back, to save £42, but decided to stick with ver2. Ver2 are supposed to have an improved upper and tongue, and be more robust......more importantly they have a red bit on them and joolska would know that means they are fast over a mara. Ver2 obviously start a bit cheaper than ver1, if they both started at 240 id probably send them back........makes you wonder, as Nike are obviuosly going to have restrict the amount of ver2 they release in order to shift ver1, or sell a lot of reduced price ver1.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Carlisle is certainly worth a visit but a much bigger town than Penrith so not much else than shops. You are actually between the North Pennines and the Lake District so you have a choice of excellent countryside. I only know the Lakes so if you fancy hill walking and lakes head South West. At least pack your walking shoes 😉
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - several years since I've been to the Lakes :( Hope the headache has gone.
    DT - nice speed work.
    TR - training coming along nicely, then?
    Just managed to squeeze in this week's longest run. 16 miles @ 7:29/m.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Pah.  Ankle feeling a fair bit better, but then spent 2 hours chucking up last night.  It's not my week!

Nice long run finished by 7am Gul.  You are a machine!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's a bad run of luck Jools.

• 10,000m race for me last night. I was initially scheduled in the slow race with a few around my pace, then they had some drop outs and moved a few runners up to the fast race, leaving my as probably fastest in the slow one. I didn't fancy a solo time trial so begged to be moved up to the A race. They did let me, and I not only beat my predicted time, but ran an all time PB for 10k on all surfaces of 38.35.9 and didn't actually come last, despite having been about 200m off the back by the end of lap 2. Sadly the runner who would have been most use to me didn't show up, but one chap fell off the back of the pack after 2 laps and came back to me (or I caught up with him) after around 7 laps. I sat in with him for 6 or 7 as his pace was fairly even until then but I could feel it slowing a little, so when we got lapped I used the faster runner to pull me past. I caught one more with maybe two laps to go and was gaining on another until he found another gear with 200m to go. 

I wore my ancient Adidas Adios, but they weren't checking shoes and a guy in the pink Nike cheat shoes lapped me two or three times. The only other lady in the race lapped me just the once. She also had some elderly Adidas flats on her feet. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hope the week gets better, Jools.
    Nice early 16, Gul. Great pace.
    Cracking race there, Speedy, well done! Speedy indeed!!

Got 11 miles in today that came out at 7.25 pace. Didn't really look at the watch but felt I was going steady, however when I did check the pace late on it should have felt easier than it did. Not sure if the big weekend miles are still in my legs or the second vaccine is still going through its installation plan. Surely the 2 weeks off due to injury can't set me so far back after 4 months of solid running?

Have decided to just go short and easy for the remainder of the week, rest-up on bank holiday Monday and bring the London campaign forward by 2 weeks so I can get properly focused and build volume without straining the body too soon.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Very impressive Speedy. A life time PB must have been totally unexpected. In case you are interested the BMAF (national masters 10k track event) is being held at Monkton in the North East on 19th September. I'll be defending my title 😉.
    Good going GDawg. Strange to hear folks starting marathon campaigns again. I'm not feeling in the mood for that at all just yet.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Is the BMAF 10k a sharpener for Berlin OO?  If it was a week earlier I might have been tempted to race you!

Sounds like a reasonable pace to me G-D.  Were you trying for something closer to marathon effort?  Plenty of time to get down to Sub 3 pace.

Well done on the 10K PB Speedy - that must feel pretty good and I'm sure there are more PBs to come.  Did you run it pretty even paced and what did the Garmin measure the distance at?

Clearly you were overdue some down time Jools.  Hope the ankle is fully recovered.

A good pace on the 16 miles Gul - you're coming back in to form nicely.  Yes - P&D for me, at least the general structure and phasing.  I've changed a lot of small details over the last few campaigns. 

An interesting way to run a 38 minute 10K DT - impressive paces and good to see you're able to hit the higher HR zones. 

I have two pairs of the Next% 2 to try out (sizes 10.5 and 11).  I tried the Next% 1 a month ago in a size 10.5 but they were not wide enough.  The version 2 is supposed to be a bit more accommodating for wider feet but we'll see how I get on.  I might have to be creative with the scalpel!

10 miles yesterday with the middle 10K at tempo effort.  Only 6:50/m for the tempo effort but I'm using a newish home treadmill and I'm hoping the treadmill pace is slower than the equivalent road pace!  

12.5 miles MLR late afternoon today.  A bit sluggish to start with as the legs usually feel a bit heavy after the tempo effort but picked it up toward the end.  Average pace of 7:45/m with a 6:50 last mile.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    You could race me SBD but its age graded. So frankly you've got no chance 😆
    The BMAF date has only been set recently, long after the marathons were reset. Having said that it's very likely to go ahead, whereas the marathons are far less certain. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Jools - hope things start looking up today!
    Speedy - congrats on the PB - well raced.
    GD - good pace for a steady effort, maybe still need a tad more recovery from the weekend, as you say. 
    SBD - a couple of solid sessions. I'm just using P&D as a guide and start next week. That tempo session will come as a bit of a shock to my system - schedule says 9 with 4@LT.
    6 mile recovery run d&d.
  • I did spot that OO, but in theory I have the Great North Run the week before and London Marathon two weeks after it. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Finally some happy news to report: 5 miles, very steady, on the flat, in my most cushioned shoes, with two layers of pseudo-science (kinesio tape + vetrap).  Foot a little sore in places, but ok for careful steady running.  Tummy seems ok.  Thank duck for that.

OO/Speedy, et. al: perhaps I'm in denial about my age, but the vets racing scene has yet to entice me.  The only events I've done are relays for the club. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I got into the masters track league about 3 years ago Jools, after doing a few Senior track events and being left behind by young athletes. It was also to try something new. Most of the races are grades by predicted time so you always get a competitive race. The events themselves are very sociable. Unlike road races the different teams stay at the event during the other races. So there is great support and lots of banter. Worth a try I'd say, although not everybody's cup.of tea.