Sub 3

Comments

• The shoes TR, I fully expect to get lapped multiple times on a 10,000m. He had a dark green club vest Joe. Can't remember the club name, it wasn't one I'm familiar with. I'm not sure if he won the race or not, it was confusing with at least half of the field lapping me at least once! 

What's vetrap????
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    It's cohesive tape, so it sticks to itself but not your skin (or your cat's fur!).  If you apply it as a double layer fairly tightly it gives you a flexible, thin support layer.  Admittedly after only 1 run I'm a convert.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good news  Jools, hopefully youll get no reaction from the ankle and can get back to it as it heals.

CC - i do find it strsnge that folks would wear shoes that are banned on the track, esp at hobby runner level. They know they wont get questionned so wear them, if it was a champs race im assuming theyd get DQd?

8m run in this morning, first nice morning, no frost, wind or rain. Turns out that Tuesdays s and c has given me a good butt kicking after all.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Jools.. great news that your ankle hasn't suffered too much damage, hope you enjoyed the run.  Is there a choice of colours for the vetrap?  It could become all the rage in niggle control for runners. :)

TR.. nice commuting miles last night, sounds like the S&C did you good.
    OO.. more good climbing.  Everest 8,849m - I got it in a quiz question recently.

Easier day here, 5.2m across the fields and nice to be in t-shirt & shorts again.  Tomorrow looks pleasant with very light winds so will aim to do a few laps of the racecourse.  A resident fairground & food festival is there this weekend so should provide music, sound effects and nice aromas to while away the laps. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Wardi - Another 1000 metres ticked off since yesterday so 1500m to go, hopefully complete whilst out on a long run on Saturday.   Reunited a wandering dog to its owner whilst out running earlier. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good work with the lost dog OO, and hope you reach the mountain goating peak tomorrow.

My description above was pretty accurate, lovely wafting smells from the food vendors and noisy machinery/kids in action.  The wind sock was vertical today which is a very rare thing on the racecourse.  Legs felt more energised today so did 4 laps instead of the planned 3, totted up to 14.2m.  Looking forward to some nosh at the local Italian emporium tonight.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Goid one Wardi, hopefully I'll get my first taste of warm running tomorrow for the year.

Did some strides in my 6m this morning, to go with my s and c return. Going to try to put my body through a bit more functional fitness rather than tons of 8mm only.

Will have a few refreshers before tomorrows long run.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Nice work Wardi, sounds like your Italian is well deserved.
    TR - So easy to have 8mm as the default pace. Were in luck then as the next few weeks look like being fantastic running weather 

Another 1000 metres climbed over a 13m run today averaging 9.30 mm.  Currently on 7915 metres, so another 934 to go until I've run the equivalent height of Everest. Hopefully achieve it on Sunday or Monday (2nd jab day) to get it done in May.  Its only the last week I've been going for it with 85m and 4000 metres ticked off so feeling a bit cream crackered.  Looking forward to getting back to proper sub3 training again. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    OO - big miles and climbing. Will make you strong.

5.5m, 10m ~mp, 5.5m. The 5.5m allows me to get to flatter lanes for the mp. Did the same run at the start of march and the 10m was av 6.40, today was 6.37 but it was probably a bit less windy. Today was more 5  av 6.42 and 5 av 6.33 due to the breeze and undulations. Happy days after struggling a bit to get going recently. Tough run and was pretty thirsty late on as i probably had a few too many frothies last night. Ill use the next % for the 13m version in 2 weeks, we'll see how they go on a known course.

Been called fwd 10days and have my 2nd jab tomorrow, so a good time to have a few easy days after that.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. fabulous week of miles and closer to the mountain peak!  Hope you had a beer or two at the end of all that!

TR.. great long run effort with a big MP section in the middle, hope the legs aren't grumbling too much after that.
    Good luck with the jab too, hopefully no nasty side effects.

My legs were a bit weary after yesterday so kept it to a steady 5.5m in the sun this morning.
    Afternoon garden party for a family birthday, nice to meet up with a few folks again.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - nice one, sounds a good afternoon.

Did another bout of s and c yday afternoon, so legs were a bit tired for todays turbo. Wu, 10x4min/1min, wd. Good warm weather training, made a big puddle.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Nice workout and good to see the puddles are back TR.🙂

10.6m this morning.  At 9.30 start time it was 10 degrees and felt a bit chilly. However the temp did seem to increase rapidly in the space of a couple of hours so I did finish with a sweat on.  62m for the week, Indian tucker on the menu for later.

• I had my first jab on Friday night and felt like I had a hangover until lunchtime today, by which time it was boiling outside so I opted for another rest day. I actually fell asleep at 6.30pm last night, fully clothed. Woke up confused at 9.30pm and essentially just got changed and went back to bed. Still, better than Covid. That wiped me out for 2 weeks, not two days. I'm hoping dose 2 causes less of a reaction. Waiting patiently for news from TR! My running buddy had his second today, but despite having had Covid (he's the one who gave it to me), he didn't have any reaction to the first dose. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear you had a reaction CC2, hope it doesn't linger.  Weird how it affects different people with no particular pattern.
    Make that 10+4m today, Mrs Wardi dragged me out for a 2nd run late afternoon, 66m for the week.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    TR - That's a really good session and you must be pleased with hitting those times for the MP sections.  Take it easy with jab 2, got mine at 9.45 am today!
    Wardi - You are really being super consistent with your weekly mileage. All good stuff and in the bank.
    CC2 - Sorry to hear your suffering with jab 1, hopefully your feeling much better today. 

I "Everested" yesterday as part of a 7m hilly run finishing with my first shirt off run of the year. So 8,948 metres run, I was going to kick on last night and this morning and do a few more runs to get to 9,000m+ and improve my placing - which was an obsession last week - but a really good day on the beach and a swim - first since September saw the end to that.  So will finish c5,500 worldwide and c220 UK.  All those hilly doubles certainly add up, 82m for the week, a near record for me.  I will take part in another in July if I can get to my mountain race in France in August - looking 75/25 at the mo.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Jools - great news the ankle is on the mend. The magic tape sounds like a top life hack. Hopefully you're back into things by now. 

Wardi - sounds awesome running around the course when there is a mini festival in flow. Reminds me of the year I took my running gear to glastonbury! Silly idea really although I wasnt alone as a few others were spotted running the perimeter fence with me. Solid week once again.

OO - seriously impressive efforts over the hills. You and Jooligan are making it seem easy. I must admit to not hating the hills like I perhaps used to. Top stuff and will surely have huge fitness benefits when you come back down to sea level :) 

TR - that's more like it with the paced effort in yesterdays long run. I've started to do some weights as mini SJ has shown an interest. Hoping to stick at it but we'll see. 

CC2 - hope you're feeling better by now. I've had a reaction on both occasions but it was reasonanly short lived both times thankfully (see below)

Had my second jab on thurs morning, went for a 10 miler that evening along the canal, felt decidedly awful during the last couple of miles. Had a shower and got straight into bed as had developed the chills by then. Sweated the fever that had also come on for about 3 hours until 9pm. Got up and had some food as I felt a bit better.

Friday still felt about 80% but jogged on grass for 6 miles but HR 10bpm higher for the pace so knew I wasnt quite right. 

Woke up Saturday and felt ok so decided to run the 8 or so miles planned but add some efforts in. Ran 3 x 3km off a 1 min float/recovery. Eased into the efforts each time allowing my HR to climb to the desired LT range. Averaged 6:20's for first effort down to 6:15's for last effort. Getting stronger as I went along was a good feeling. 

Got up yesterday and felt back to normal so planned a new long run route and headed out for 20 and a bit in 2.41 on another lumpy road course, just under 400m climbing. Mainly rolling hills but a couple of sharp climbs that needed focussing on to keep momentum. Same glorious sunshine everyone had so was glad to get home having drank my 500ml soft flask a mile or two before them end. 

Decent week again (66 miles) which pretty much completes my 12 week build back to 60+ miles. Probabaly the most sensible build back I've ever done with perfect 3 week on, 1 week off approach with a nice graph on strava showing the progress. P&D after next this week.
    edited May 2021
    X-post OO - fantastic achievement and well done on the placings and reaching the Everest target. The beech and swim was the right option. A well deserved afternoon of r&r I reckon.

Hope jab 2 doesn't affect you too much. 

Re-read my post above, the float/recovery was 1km not 1min during those 3x3km efforts :)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hope the indian was tasty wardi

CC - hopefully you're over the worse of it now then. As a CV sufferer the jab is likely to rough you up. My wife who has long covid was badly affected by jab 1 but only had a migraine after jab2. I felt a bit off after jab1 and had a few ropey runs afterwards. Nothing to report after last nights jab, yet....

OO - nice one on hitting the Everest target, good that it resulted in big miles too. Beach and pub sounds good. My eldest has been in Cornwall surfing for a week. Good news on jab2.

SJ - good news on jab2 too. Its great that lots of us are nearly fully jabbed. Sounds like you had a rough couple of days but bounced back well. Thats a pace 3km session, good to be able to run long the next day too.

I walked with the spo today, I'll probably have a rare zero as i was jabbed yday. My running legs will have had a mini break by the time i run commute home tomorrow too.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Speedy: I felt really rubbish for a couple of days and then a bit dopey for a few days more.  I think the reaction to AZ is worse if you have had Covid.  

SJ: a nice few days' work from you.

TR: a sensible time to chill, I think.

I managed 8 on Friday, 11 on Saturday, 16 on Sunday and 5 today.  The ankle/foot does get a little bit tired/tight at times, so I've been stuck with laps on the flat, but better that then no running.  Otherwise a fairly tedious weekend as work is mad at the moment.  I think that's why the weather is so great (typed wistfully as I stare through the window...)
  • Feeling normal again today, although my HR was higher on this morning's easy run that it would usually be for that pace. Stuart had zero reaction to his second dose last night and was actually ahead of me on the hills for the first time ever. I was tempted to punch him in the arm. No reaction to either dose of AZ, despite having had Covid and he flipping gave it to me before Lockdown 1. It's just rude! 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Great training SJ, some good sessions in amongst the big miles.  BTW my annual festival pilgrimage near Banbury - our group of 4 opted for glamping last time around and will be this year if it happens (August).  There's no queues for showers, loos etc so the 2 girls & me (the other chap is a cyclist) potter off for a pleasant country run by the canal & scrub up on return.

OO.. congrats on reaching the peak, hope the air wasn't too thin!
    Jools.. that weekend of miles is a good sign for your ankle.  Hopefully you can run through it from now.
    TR.. the grub from that Indian is top notch so yes another tasty treat.
    CC2.. good to see you're feeling better.
    Got out before the heat of the afternoon for 5.8m.  Legs felt a bit cranky at first, possibly last week's miles I thought.  They did seem to loosen up as the run progressed so a faster 2nd half FWIW.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Nice long/MP run TR.
    sj - nicely done on the 3 x 3km. Feeling stronger each time bodes well.

Nice mileage being banked by many too; well done.

I bagged another 50m week last week. All easy bar 10mins of tempo in the middle of an hour on Saturday - came out at 6:01m/m, which is probably about 10m race pace. Threw 3 x 420m hills into yesterday's 8m too. Just ran strong rather than hard as I'm still feeling a bit blah (fibro) but wanted something in the mental strength bank rather than bowing down to it. Ironically I feel better after any small amounts of quicker running so maybe it's just stretching me out from the diy.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    A very easy 11m (8:01/m) in the sun earlier. That counts as a long run for me at the moment. It was definitely far enough in that heat!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Good news jools, nicely on the mend

TT - hopefully you'll get a nice block of consistet weeks in now.

After my mini break i was back at it, with 14m tonight, nice to get out in the warnth.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice MLR TR, similarly I quite like this weather - pleasantly warm but not too hot.
    TT.. I was stuck on 10-12m max when I had a niggle, very frustrating but it soon comes back.  Decent 50m from you last week and 11m today. 
    Double today, 4m this morning with some nice views across the fields.  Chaperoned a group at the club tonight as I knew a mostly off road route that had a lot of shade.  Another 7m done in & out of the sun.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR - 14m on a Tuesday is good going, esp after the long run at the weekend.
    TT - Good to see you back at it, you tend to improve very rapidly, so looking forward to more statements like 10m pace is probably around 6.01 mm!. 
    Wardi - A nice looking double. 
    CC2 - Good to see the effects of the jab have gone. 
    Jools - Seems your managing your ankle wellwith 4 days of decent looking training albeit lots of flat laps, if it works.   
    SJ - Thats a great week of training and a good looking 20m done and dusted. Really good times for the 3X3 km Sorry to hear that jab 2 had some after-effects for you. 

May was a record 323 miles for me,  so a day off for Monday and jab day.  Fortunately just felt a bit weary so went off at 8.15 pm last evening for a really nice flat 8.5m - gorgeously cool and refreshing.  
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Good to hear the jab didn't cause any traumas OO.  Sounds like a nice run last night, cracking monthly total!
    After yesterday's double my legs decided they were not up to much today.  I was determined to enjoy a run in the sun though so cranked out a steady 10m, it was getting quite hot in the last 3-4m.  I'm just about to open a nice cold Mexican beer on the patio as the heat has dropped a touch.
    282m for me in May. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - sounds like no jab side effects for you, i never noticed any.

Wardi - tasty miles esp given you've bee  building back up from injury. 1m more than me. Im consistently a bit lower at the mo.

Was on the road early for work today, was tired and hungry when i got back and cnba to run. This week is going to be light. Only 1 run and 1 turbo since saturday.
    edited June 2021

Joolska - good that you are able to run as you say. Hoping the ankle keeps improving. 

TT - good progress being made now the diy is coming to an end. 

TR - great running weather atm. Nice mlr. The easier week might be just what you needed. 

Wardi - the doubles must be very nice with the current conditions. Nice 10 gritted out. I had a bottle of the fred official partner after tonight's run. 

OO - quite the month with the mileage record and the everest challenge met. Good to hear jab2 was a minor event for you. 

Club session last night was 3 x 7 mins followed by 7 mins Fartlek. The efforts were a tad slower than the 3k reps from saturday. Sundays long run possibly still in my legs. 

Left tonight's 11 and a bit until after 7pm. It was sticky hot and humid but the stiff breeze helped. Picked the pace up on the return down the canal tow path to finish strong. 

271 for May. Decent. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - that's another good session banked.

Back on it with 10m inc 14x3min. Much better pace than recent weeks, so things are start to come together in the last wk. Think the s and c might be helping.