A thousand miles in 2021?

Comments

• Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Thanks MrM2, been tough keeping going & pace is terrible now.🤣
    Good to hear you're on the way back.
    5 mile lunchtime run today, a few stops to chat...warm one but probably less than half of the temp you have Dubai, so huge well done on your streak...I'm only just up the road from you so you'll probably overtake me later today.
    917.2 miles YTD 
  • Cooler at 38 degrees this morning.

Runstreak day 161, 4.08 miles

YTD 920.84 miles

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    MrM2, so glad you are making progress. We've both had a frustrating year so far eh?

Dubai, impressive streaking. 38 degrees...yeah, I don't think I'd want to live in Dubai.
    Hobie, big miles already!

8 for me today - enjoyed this run. It is so nice to be able to do distances where I can explore a bit again. Covered some new roads that I had walked while injured but hadn't yet run so that was fun.

YTD: 443
  • Hi all, lapsed again..

Unfortunately after I did my time trial half marathon I got really bad back pain, not good at all and curtailed much running. Not sure if it was that or just a coincidence.
    Anyway, extra running:

May 29th; planned to run a big big of thanet coast, made it 10.3 miles and got picked up.
    Week off.

June 4th; very gentle 17.75 trail run.

June 8th; trail 6.3

YTD=454.3 

My 1k is looking like it could be a bit of a close thing at this rate!

Well done Cal.
    38 makes our 23 seem positively cool Dubai.
    Awesome mileage Hobie!
    Great news things are slowly improving MrM2.
    Great running Harmander.
    That is a fantastic marathon Donnie, well done.
    Sounds positive TT.

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    LTT have you seen anyone? I am no medic but I rely on my physio to keep me on the 'road'. 

Cal good to see you back out there. 

MrMr2 good to hear you are on the mend. No internet for a week, something I want to forget, remember when we all used to have one computer and a wire trailing across the floor!!! 

Harmander you over 600???

Back on the AlterG this morning, 81%, 3mins running, 1min walk. So good to be moving in the right direction. 

YTD: 486.64
    Great to see you logging some longer miles Cal.
    Club run tonight 17 of us tonight, so nice to have a group run again.
    Hilly 7 miles.
    924 miles YTD 
  • Runstreak day 162

5.79 miles

YTD 926.63 miles

How do you manage to run in that heat Dubai, what pace do you do those runs at?
    Quite humid here in wild west wales today...lunch run today on the coast path.
    929 miles YTD 
  • PaulMarshPaulMarsh ✭✭✭
    Doing 1000 miles in the year isn't too bad, I average 10 miles per day, so get 60 miles a week in, maybe more as the Sunday run is longer.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hobie I think DR has become used to that heat! 

Paul welcome, there is also a thread for 2021 miles in 2021 (or km), they are equally as welcoming. I like the idea of 10 miles a day, do you have a set route?

Short AlterG session, lots of one legged work on Bosu balls! Up to 88% one min walking three mins running. 

YTD: 488.5
  • Welcome Paul (Marsh). It is great to draw inspiration from such form.
  • Thanks LTT.
    Good to hear of progress MrM2 - of course Samosas are good for marathon running - one runs faster to the loo.
    Keep it up Cal.
    My nearest parkrun starting on 26th June - great news.
    Yes I crossed the 600.

08/06 - 5.64
    09/05 - 5.64
    10/06 - 11 43 - we got people to run100km collectively.
    11/06 - 5.63

(28.34)

623.02 miles

The 100km was to mark what would have been the Duke of Edinburgh's 100th birthday.
  • Hobie, in the summer I run by heart rate and my pace slows to approx 10.20 a mile, don’t really care about pace as long as I run. We do have a treadmill but my sons and wife use it more than me. I go on it occasionally to run a bit faster. As TT says you do get accustomed to the heat although I avoid the midday heat were possible. I find about 25 degrees to be the optimal temperature and in the winter will usually have a base layer on if it’s below 20 degrees. My kids have lived most of their lives in the Middle East and cope very well with excessive heat. And the other hand it hasn’t rained since March 2020 and obviously we don’t get snow. Although I have seen frost and minus temperatures in the Iraqi desert.

Up at 0315 this morning to go to work and had plans this evening so only managed 1.43 miles this afternoon in 43 degrees. Runstreak day 163.

YTD 928.06 miles

• Dubai,
    Wow, the only time I have faced such heat is when the 'ol girl loses it.
    Makes me run faster though. lol
    Dubai, much respect for running in that, must be brutal.
    Friday night beginners group tonight with a little extra beforehand...chasing squirrels and avoiding nettles and buffalo. 
    939 miles YTD 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Harmander, Barking's your local isn't it? (At least that's where I met you despite not realising it was you at the time). 
    Very happy to see parkrun returning.
    Dubai, when I visited Dubai, we actually had rain the day we went to Abu Dhabi for Ferrariworld. Saw several accidents along the road there, and traffic was terrible. I guess the locals are not used to driving in the wet.
    43 degrees is hotter than a Bikram yoga studio (though hopefully nowhere near as humid).
    TT, is it balance work you're doing on the bosu?
    Linton, hope you can sort your back pain. My physio would say you need to strengthen your core. At least that's what he tells me. (My SI joints are little buggers).

5 miles today, with some light speed intervals at the end (aiming for sub-9 pace up and down the roads behind my house, so just below MP). Considering I didn't feel good yesterday, it went OK. 

YTD: 448
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    I'm another one excited for the return of parkrun. Looking at the news this morning however it might be late July, but it's getting there. 

Cal: great progress, long may it continue. 

TT: I've literally no idea about your percentages or the technique / equipment your using. I really should Google it. 

Mr MM: slow progress is better than no progress. Your probably the most experienced on the thread, surely you'll overcome the injury in good time. 

Hobie: did you follow the Suffolk back yard ultra? Would you ever fancy it? 

Two lots of 5 since last updating. Think the bank holiday marathon is getting though my system. Had a bit more 'go' about me last night. 

Ytd: 644.9
  • CaL, I live 3.3km from the start of Barking parkrun and started going there when the missus got the hump with me finishing ahead of her and then 'bugging' her to finish quicker by catching up and running alongside her at Valentines Parkrun which is 0.7km from our front door.
    I think she done me a favour as the run to Barking was a good warm up for my pacing duties and the run home was relaxing warm/cool down.
    Guess I am stuck with her again until Barking starts up again.
    Will be doing the Twilight Ultra as my first proper race after lockdown (and COVID) on Saturday 25 July at the nicely challenging Redbridge Cycle track.
    I will see what position (apart from keeled over) I finish in my age category as I came first two yeas ago.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Donnie long may you remain ignorant of equipment and percentages needed to recover from two fractures in a pelvis!!!!!

Harmander well done on the 600. 

I too am excited by ParkRun, not so much the run, but what ParkRun starting up means in terms of other races. Also our local ParkRun has a great cafe at the end, any excuse for hot chocolate and cake. 

Cal for one exercise I had two Bosu balls two paces apart and was 'running' over them. It's tough because you need to keep balance as well as have the guts to put weight on the damaged side, but it's a great exercise.

Hobie chasing squirrels sounds wonderful, red or grey?

6.01 miles, 90-91% and running intervals increased to eight mins at 8.47 a mile. Plus, as OH working, a five mile walk and train journey! 

YTD: 494.51 (slowly getting there)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I did 12 miles today - I was aiming for 10 but underestimated the route a bit and also managed to take a wrong turn which added a bit of distance (I didn't need to backtrack as I knew where to go from there but it just made it a bit longer). I won't lie, the last few miles were a slog as it was already very warm and I'd not taken water with me, but I was pleased to get it done. I don't think I'll be good for much during the rest of the day.

YTD: 460
    TT, grey squirrels around here, but looking forward to maybe seeing some reds when we visit Scotland next month. 

I had a virtual relay race today and I picked the 6 - 7 in the morning shift...good choice as its properly hot here today. 
    Morning chorus from peacock, cockerel and lots of bunnies.

949 miles YTD
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Singing bunnies? That's a new one!
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    5 and 5.6 over the weekend. How Dubai runs in his temperatures I'll never know. Mid 20s here and that was a struggle. 

Ytd: 655.5
  • Runstreak day 167

12.6 1.62
    13.6 7.46
    14.6 5.46
    15.6 7.58

YTD 950.18 miles

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hobie 6am is the perfect time at the moment. 

Back on the AlterG, but the most amazing thing is I managed 100% of body weight for three mins! The end is in sight......... Or actually the beginning. 

YTD:497.13
    Nearing 500 TT, going well.
    Dubai, still amazed by that streak in that heat...as you say, acclimatise and it's not so bad.
    Recovery shuffle on Monday and some easy miles at lunchtime today with our little group in work.
    962 miles YTD 
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks again, everyone. Yes, slowly getting there. (Had to say 'working towards...' when I was teaching!)
    Had one last physio session 4 days ago, and everything seemed OK. Since then I've done three runs; one of 5k and two of 10k...without walking. There are still some twinges going on, but generally feel that I can gradually start to get back some pace and distance. Need to find some paths that are not overgrown. Thought it was going to be a case of 'death by nettlerash' after yesterday's run!

YTD: 338' .

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Mr MM and TT: I think you're winning the fitness battle which is good news. I like it when everyone in our little group is doing well. 

A sluggish 5.5 last night. Ive decided I prefer winter nights to summer evenings. 

Ytd: 661. 0
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    So my old bod did not approve of that 12 mile run and I've had a lot of complaints from my right groin and knee. I took an extra day off yesterday and did a lot of rolling so I was able to get out for a slow, plodding 5 today. I am seeing my physio tomorrow. Hoping to avoid more time out.

YTD: 465
    Great to see you on the mend Cal.
    Nice club run tonight...possibly the flatest route around here.
    969 miles YTD