Comrades 2022

Comments

• SD - fantastic running. Congratulations to you. Another 100 in the bag. Hot day for it.

Well done Fido 2 dogs, McHilly and Lowrez on your runs.
  • lowrez: that's a fantastic outfit!
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Debra - brilliant performance, congratulations.

Baldstan - really nice to see you at QECP.

Thanks everyone. Really suffered from the heat - stomach said “no” to everything except water, coke and bananas - so started my death-march at 38 miles. It was not pretty...

Met some really nice runners at the back of the field though!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks Debra :) I was up until 2am sewing - ha ha - these things are meant for cocktail parties rather than the ravages of running. It needed considerable effort to ensure everything stayed attached etc. In the end I ran out of time and got some kip. This morning I had to quickly sew myself into the shin guards as the provided velcro fastenings didn't even overlap to keep them in place on my measly legs :) I will reposition those soon so I don't have to do that again; definitely more mileage in this one, eg Chester 10k, half, metric, full etc.
  • Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    SD: huge sympathies for the heat & digestion problems.
    Baldstan: it was great to see you at QECP. And apologies for asking after Ally - from my running club, not Comrades, and a momentary mental confusion regarding who know who! I did meet another Comrades runner, Steven, out on the course.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    That is a fantastic result under those circumstances SD; I was looking at your dot thinking you were completely in control merrily sailing along, just like you were at Comrades in 2018 when you cruised past me in the final few ks through Berea and assured me I'd get home OK. Well done.
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Well done Debra and SD, in that heat congrats on getting to the end.  

St Albans half marathon for me today, which I also entered as my result for the Comrades Hope Challenge.  Well done Lowrez, McH and Fido (long time no see on here).
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Grear runs everyone - I didn't run! Just met Fido for coffee and cake after her run!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Wow! F2D was in town! I missed that, what a great picture :) we need to launch a competition for the photo with the most Comrades logos in it! Well done Fido! McH you could have easily got away with the impression you were in the Hope pot. Both of you looking like you hadn't taken a step too! But where is the cake?? I thought the woman over your left shoulder was wearing a white skirt McH :) What watches are you both using? Very colourful!
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone. Some great running going on. I'm jealous......

I'm not in good condition myself. I didn't even enter the virtual race. Rather too expensive in my opinion to wait 9 months for a medal.

I was woken by numerous cockerals crowing but elected for coffee and bacon sarnies. I took the kids boldering on the hill on our farm this morning which was good fun. I ran 7km late afternoon. Even 21km would have been a major challenge.

BTW, I got another job. Long hours at the moment, but I love it.

PLEASE real Comrades in 2022

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Great to hear you are at least roadworthy Bike It. Mmm bacon sarnies, but they have to be accompanied by a cup of tea? I had to look up bouldering :) it does sound fun; the kind of cross activity that is so foreign from running it just has to be good for you.
    My daughter was running the Comrades app and Strava concurrently she said she had to close the Comrades app down when that bloody awful Chariots of Fire came on - ha ha - her generation hate it from it being used as a ring tone so much.
    Brilliant news on the job, being paid for something you like doing isn't really a chore at all, pleased for you :)
    I shouldn't say this, but I'm already concerned about 2022, I fear you will not hit the target of all vaccinated by year end; what is that end game going to look like? Sorry :(
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Lowrez - “where is the cake?”, it was already inside me of course! As for my watch it’s my Garmin 735xt, couple of years old now… I love it and does everything I want, but is starting to show signs of battery life not being what it used to be..:. I find it really annoying that I end up changing watches just because batteries start to fade (I got it at about 50% of list price about 2 years ago… I think it might have been on Amazon prime day…. Will be looking out next week in case this year’s prime day has Garmin bargains!) Are you getting on better with your new watch yet?
    edited June 2021
    Comrades Hope Challenge runs need to be uploaded TODAY!!!
  • Great to hear from you, Bike It. Congrats on the new job and I hope you continue enjoying it. Glad you're also managing to enjoy your farm - on-site bouldering is impressive.
  • Great running today everyone!! 💪 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I haven't had the beans to battle with the crapos since that first run McH. It's been sat there counting down to data loss which has long since passed, another great feature! Garmin's keep data until you decide to drop it and for all intents and purposes have infinite memory. Right now it's bleating about wanting to be charged. I feel like plugging it directly into the mains and putting it out of its misery. No doubt I will get around to grappling with it again sometime. Very tempted to try a Bip S... When is this Amazon Day? Maybe there will be something off one of Garmin's more substantial offerings 🤔
  • sorry you’ve not taken to the watch Lowrez 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Sorry I am so critical too Mark, I should move on, actually thinking of selling it second hand and getting a Garmin; I don't think I actually "want" to invest the time in understanding it properly. One careful owner, only driven it once :D 
  • Have to admit I was critical of mind yesterday, often doubting the readings, but as my breathing became shallow my O2 sats were hovering around 74%, but at checkpoint had paramedic put a oximeter on it where it read 75% was very appreciative of that feature. Good luck with whatever you decide Lowrez, Autotrader reasonable rates I believe? 😂 
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Lowrez - ooh, genuinely interested in buying your Coros. I’ve been thinking about getting one for awhile because of its battery life.

I had to charge my Garmin 235 three times “on the run” - well, more like during my walk - over  the SDW course.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Its yours SD :) I'll PM you and we can agree a price :)
    edited June 2021
    Battery life is great - I still had 50% left on mine (Apex Pro) when I looked about lunchtime yesterday.  SO nice not to spend half the race with a power pack attached. Still not finding it easy to navigate, alas, but I Know many people do.
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Debra - even on my Garmin 235, you were so fast you would only have needed one charge!
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Debra, no problem. I assumed you meant Ally Whitlock, who had been the second woman through QECP, and you were checking on the competition!
    Good to hear from everyone who ran or supported over the weekend. I hope we do get to run in real life next year. 1owrez, I think you're missing a trick not running a Centurion race in that outfit.
    Still trying to find a new, slightly larger pair of Inov8's before my next race, but it seems most sizes are out of stock everywhere. I wonder if there's a container full of them still sat in the Suez Canal? Even contemplated going up two sizes to a 13, but though it felt comfortable in the shop I worry that it would start rubbing after a few miles.
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Great running everyone, particularly Debra and SD. 
  • My garmin 945 is supposed to have over 30 hours battery life. I know it didn't last when I did my 100 miles but it got to 93 and I think I had everything turned on so if I'd just checked it out and turned a couple of things off I'm sure I would have been fine. I feel a bit of a fake having a fancy watch and only covering about 20 miles a week

Well done to everyone who did the Comrades Hope Challenge.

Good to hear from you Bike It
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Stan, do Centurion stage anything shorter than a marathon? I'm not up to much more yet.
    I love a good web hunt; what size and model of Inov8 are you after - I purchased some Mizunos from Portugal the other month; considerably cheaper than the best UK price I could find.
    Go careful with going a smidge too big - I got a crescent shaped blister right round the back of my heel on 777 with a pair of shoes that were just that bit too big.
  • baldstan: yes, Ally Whitlock - she's in my club. That's the first 100 she's done without having serious problems keeping moving during the night, so I think she took about 5 hours off her PB!
  • lowrez: the shortest Centurion event is Wendover Woods night 50K. The elevation is crazy.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    El-evat-ion ooo ooo ooo - a mole diggin' a hole...