Sub 3h15

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I don't know - I wasn't aware carbon plates have made it into trail shoes! I'll have to look now...
  • On the basis that I have a half marathon at the end of July that could be hot, I went with 'suck it up buttercup' and did my LRWP (long run with purpose) at 10am round the boating lake. I was relieved that the tempo 12 miles in the middle was only at 7 min miling though. It was certainly warm! 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I had to do rather a lot of work first but am pretty sure my trail shoes are carbon plate free. Phew! 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Jools - nice recovery run with natural bounce.
    OO - yes, I hope so.
    Speedy - that's an impressive session.
    12 mile MLR along the river this morning. 6 slow miles out and 6 easy back.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Solid morning work again, Gul. I sort of joined you today with a 10 miler on the trails before work.
    Does anyone else get anxious before a training run for no apparent reason? I've not slept well of late, so wondering if it's that but it took a lot to get me out of the door today. Really glad I did though.

I created a route with lots of bail-outs but after about 6 miles I started to feel pretty good, just kept things at easy pace. Sun was out, it was warm and out of nowhere a deer ran onto the path in front of me and I appeared to be chasing it for a while. I slowed down to a walk to stop scaring it while it found a hiding place in the hedges. Lovely stuff!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul, Bedford is around 25th July and  a few days before I fly to Lanzarote for 10 days so a good natural break point, though I may very well not be gong of course. Nice work on the morning MLR.

Well done on getting up and getting it done gdawg.

Good work, Speedy, that sounds a big old session.

I did some 1k reps today, 8 of them off 60s. Didn't get out until 12.30 so was pretty hot so decided to try and take the edge off the effort. REPs came out 3.42, 3.38, 3.31, 3.36, 3.31, 3.38, 3.31 and 3.37 so I guess the average was about 3.36 so 5.48mm. I was pretty tired and thirsty and very hot by rep 7.

Yesterday was an easy 5 and spin. Tomorrow its' an easy 9 then after that the forecast says it won't be so warm.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - well done getting up and out. I just usually worry if I will wake up in time!
    DT - good work on the reps in this heat.
    6 mile recovery run d&d.
  • Morning all - it's been far too long since I dipped in here so great to see so many familiar faces! Sounds like all the restrictions haven't been getting people too down, and a quick look back shows some blistering performances out there as well as the usual crazily early starts and cross training through lugging concrete around.

At some point soon I need to gear up for autumn marathon training - having marginally missed out on my GFA attempt in the virtual run last year, I've got the Yorkshire Marathon lined up in mid October, but as MsL got a place in London through the ballot (her first London mara) I'll definitely be up in town cheering everyone on. Fingers crossed it all goes ahead for many different reasons.

Nothing spectacular to report on the running front from me - I've been ticking over in the 40-55 mile a week range for most of the year.

That said, the short term aim in line with the general levels of madness on this thread, is next week with a week long run down the River Trent (300km from the source near Stoke to the Humber estuary). I'll be running while a mate of mine is doing it in a kayak with various meeting / eating / sleeping points en route. 

It'll definitely be a slow plod and I suspect that there'll be a few run-walk stretches, especially towards the end but we're raising money for the BHF as well as, I hope, having a bit of fun doing it. I'm ashamed to say that I really don't know much of the parts of the country that we'll be going through which gives the run an extra interest factor.

Hoping to be popping up more regularly on here from now on.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good to see you back in these parts, Lorenzo. Sounds like a great challenge, looking forward to seeing updates on Strava. Good luck, mate.

Up and out early again today, only managed 6 miles as I had to get back to let some landscapers into the back garden.
    Warm run again so just ran on feel, came out at 7.09 pace. Gave myself the option of a track session tonight but have already opted out as it's too warm for 15 x 200m and feel that my legs would benefit more from a roller and massage gun session instead.
    No need to push anything at this stage, London is a spring marathon, so in campaign terms, it's actually on January.  ;)

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo that's a terrific idea for a journey. If you didn't see Tom Fort's BBC4 doco then it's worth a look (he floated down the Trent end to end in a punt). I think he also wrote a book about the journey.  The lower end where the Trent meets the Humber is an interesting place with lots of history attached.
  • Thanks for that Poacher - wasn't aware of that documentary. TBH given the size of the shipping at the point where it becomes the Humber I'm glad I'll be on dry land - much safer. 

Raining down here which is a mighty relief - I really struggle to both work and run (not at the same time!) in the heat
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - really great to hear from you. That sounds like an exciting challenge ahead of you. Must take a lot of planning? Look forward to hearing how you get on. Keep us posted!
    GD - that's a tidy pace.
    Poacher - one to note for a rainy day.
    No long run on the P&Dschedule this week, but knowing I'm a but short on endurance at the moment, I added a couple of miles to make 18 this morning. Haven't checked yet, but I think it was something like 8@8:30 & 10@7:30.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    I forgot to say I was disappointed that there was very little rain overnight here and not a drop while I was out. I was looking forward to getting drenched!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice work on the impromptu long run, Gul. It rained a bit her and feels much fresher today.

Lorenzo, good to hear from you. Sounds an interesting challenge. Looking forward to seeing everyone once again in London in October, I hope!

Out yesterday morning at 8am for an easy 9m. It was pretty warm then so happy I got it out of the way. Will go out at midday for 4m recovery immediately followed by spin.

Feeling a little squiffy today after more than a sensible number of beers last night watching the footy.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Nice to hear from you, Lorenzo, and good luck with the challenge.  

11 yesterday morning and 13 today.  We had a decent amount of rain overnight (judging by the puddles) but only a few spits and spots just as I set out this morning.  It was still relatively humid, although better than it has been of late.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - more beers tonight, then?
    Jools - good to do back to back MLRs.
    It's raining! Not torrential but feels a bit cooler. 6 mile recovery run d&d.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great to hear from you Lorenzo and your latest escapades- good luck with that one.
    It's the North East masters track event this Saturday starting with the 5000 meters at 10:30 am. I'm sure it will feel just like a parkrun 😁
    I might also stick around for the 800m later in the day. A chance to recover my awful performance a couple of weeks ago.
    Good to see folks starting to crank up the long runs. I haven't gone over 16 for a fair few weeks now.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Triple MLRs: 15 today (I've been called up for the Midland league match on Sunday so wanted to get most of my miles done during the week).  A very gentle 5 mile jog planned for tomorrow!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Loads of stuff going on with work and having stuff done to the house meant I had to get my longer easy run done first thing this morning. When I went out the rain was light so I had a short sleeved base layer with a singlet over the top. After a few miles it started to rain hard.

In the final 2 miles a lorry couldn't avoid a large puddle and drenched me. Felt like someone had thrown a massive bucket of water over me. It was great! I don't mind getting wet on runs, it was rather refreshing.

Anyway, 15 miles at 7.56 pace before work. Felt surprisingly strong for a morning run and had to reign it in early on. Got some sort of issue with pain moving around the left hamstring area, not a focused pain, more a weird. One to be careful with.

Of course, this now means I can tuck into beers watching England beat Scotland tonight (jinxed it!!)

Happy for you and your Wales boys, DT. Just don't do better than England, please.  ;)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul, yes it's a lot cooler here today as well. Yes, I shall get out for a few tonight to watch the big game. Nothing too much though as junior football is in Malvern at 10am tomorrow and I need to be legal to drive.

Good luck on the track, OO.

Gdawg, solid work getting the 15 done. I am off out very shortly for a lunchtime 15. I'll be pleased with a 2nd round spot after that anything is a massive bonus. England seem set for a tough draw however in the next round.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Easy 15m over lunch. It didn't seem to matter how fast I run the effort and Hr just sat at very low aerobic. 7.27mm average for 136 bpm average so right in recovery effort. Took so little out of me, legs feel fine and was out for footy beers and 6 and no post run fatigue.

Amazing the effect of the temps on these things of last few weeks. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - have a blast in 5000m and maybe 800m too.
    Jools - nice triple! All the best for Sunday.
    GD - hope you enjoyed the beers if not the footie. Another draw for England could set up a last 16 match against Wales! Take care now.
    DT - great easy 15 miler.
    Another 6 miler today. Now off to York to clear Miss GD the younger's room at Uni.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    12 mile easy/steady this morning to make 70 for the week.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    The masters went well yesterday. 17:49 for the 5k which got me the win. Then stuck around for the 1500 (5:03) and 800 (2:29), picking up the age cat win in both. My times in the 1500 and 800 were both quicker than the league races 2 weeks ago in spite of having just run the 5k, so I'm definitely over whatever issue I had.
    The legs are pretty battered today but I'm in the Lakes and a nice easy recovery 11 should get me to 40.
    Good luck in your race today Jools 🤞
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Excellent wins on the track OO - those are pretty nifty times.

Good easy miles Gul and a nice total for the week.

Nice relaxed 15 miler DT.

Good work on the long run G-D although shame about the drenching.  I've had that problems a few times and it's only amusing if you're about to finish the run.

A nice mid-week MLR triplet Jools - hope you found some speed at the Midland league match.

Good to have seen the back of the excessively warm weather - the early evening MLR on Wednesday was hard work but the progressive 12 miler on Friday was much less taxing.

20 miles early morning on the cycle trail.  It's normally relatively quiet at this time of the day but it felt like running on the Thames tow path at times.  Almost had a few run ins with a couple of dog owners and came a little too close to an out of control horse but otherwise pretty uneventful.

Average pace of 7:40/m with the last 4 miles at 6:53/m.  I had been feeling somewhat sluggish for the first 10 miles so it was good to find a bit of pace at the end.  79 miles for the week.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Impressive stuff SBD getting a long one in and those last 4 miles especially 👏
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Great race results, OO. I'm not surprised you're pleased, especially after your last outing didn't go as well as you'd hoped. A busy day, though!

You're clearly in great shape, SBD. A very good long run with an excellent finish.

5 easy yesterday morning and then a 2.5 hour walk in the afternoon. I got to Yate this afternoon to find that our team managers didn't think it was fair to deselect me in favour of a clubmate who has recently run 10.20 for 3k and wanted to run as a guest. I told them not to be silly and to think of the points. Come the race my heart wasn't in it, and my breathing was awful (probably the hayfever). I plodded round in a wee bit under 12 minutes, which is obviously awful, but never mind. I'll take a while bunch of sh!t build up races as long as the marathon goes ok 😂
  • Great racing OO! 

I turned down the Midlands League this weekend in favour of an MP run with my coach Vince and some of his other athletes. 12 @ MP, plus WU and CD, 15 weeks out from the marathon. I'm scared to think what I'll be doing in peak training!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I can understand that Speedy. Apart from your experience and that of DT, I have several pals turning to personal coaches and seeing rewards. The chance to meet up and see others on the same path must be tempting indeed. 
    Don't worry Jools I had similar problems 12 days before yesterday's bounce back, I'm sure yours is a similar blip.
    12 easy miles today in the Lakes. Legs felt ok if a bit stiff. 42 for the week. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - excellent racing and congrats on the wins. Very impressive all in one day.
    SBD - good fast finish long run - coming along nicely.
    Jools - just a blip, I'm sure.
    Speedy - super session.
    14 miles this morning. First half slow/easy and second half steady (around 7:30/m).