Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Shades - Yes still my only sub 4. 3rd fastest was the sub 4 attempt a few months before down at Caldecotte where i could have gone 4:05ish but it was hot so i backed right off knowing we'd gone too hard that day.
  • Big G - I tend to agree those photos make it look like a holiday destination!

Rcouture - hope the calf heals itself

Shades - I think parkrun have what they want and thats the permissions in place, I don't think they'll care now just have to wait for the July date.

Cal - hope the knee isnt anything too sinister.

Haven't managed to get out for a run yesterday and unlikely today as still tender from sunburn.  Glad I'm wfm still as no meetings = no top required.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I was watching the high jumpers as I was warming up,really impressive,how they get over the bar I will never know.
    I felt like my legs were recovered but clearly not,when I've checked I was actually at 18:30 pace,so a decent effort but wouldn't have held it,and I would have ended up being lapped by everyone,the lap of shame would have been embarrassing,even though the vast majority watching wouldn't be able to hit that speed,it doesn't seem like that.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - the Plymouth Half may have changed their course slightly since I did it last but it was always a good race, with a varied course.   I just looked at my stats and  I ran it 5 times, twice doing PB's.   I think it started to clash with marathon dates and I stopped doing it.

Rcouture - good news on the HR.   Annoying about the calf.

Keith -Leicester isn't the flattest of courses and that drag up to the finish is tough but I've done one of my fastest marathons there too.   Only race where I've run past a genuine space rocket.    :)
    You're running well again so maybe on the horizon a marathon PB attempt at some time?

Robert - I see parkrun have today announced a date of 24th July.

Topless working 😲   Ouch to the sunburn though.

Ian - I don't blame you for bailing out, you knew it wasn't there.  Just unfortunate your legs didn't tell your brain that before starting.   ;)

Once when I was doing a track race, can't remember if it was 12 or 24 hour but I was fascinated by being able to watch a one to one coaching session for a high jumper with his coach on the track infield.  Such a technical sport.

Pilates was good, lots of hamstring stretching.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Interesting message from our club,Merseyside are considering having an ultra as part of their county championships,not something I have seen many doing,they are at the gauging interest stage so be good if it goes ahead.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Just a quick message from me, I have been lurking away but haven't posted anything as Ive nothing to say. Just a well done to Big G and Ian for DD (sorry to hear you didn't make the start line Shades) and RC for your marathon as  well. 
    I'm still not running as my knee hurts too much. I had my MRI scan last week and the results aren't great. I have a fissure in my meniscus and tendinopathy on the "patte de oie" of my knee. This literally means goose's foot but I have no idea what the equivalent term would be in english. I still need to speak to my doctor.. he left me a message saying we needed to discuss options, either referral to a surgeon for the meniscus but as the fissure is quite small but the tendinopathy quite bad maybe an injection into the tendon would be a better option first. We'll see once I've spoken to him. I'm just resigned to it now but it is getting me down a bit. Normally I'm a pretty positive person but this is just going on and ON and I miss running so much  :(
    Anyway, don't want to bring a downer on the whole thread.. I am still lurking and loving reading about all your running.

A definite +1 from me for Barcelona too. I absolutely loved it and I'm not a big city marathon fan. We had a fab weekend, ate the best tapas and the marathon felt like one big sightseeing trip. Would LOVE to do it again :)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, parkrun has announced the date will be moved to July in line with the restrictions lifting.

I was getting a lot of ache from my hip and groin yesterday and did a lot of stretching and rolling. It was still not right this morning so I opted for the gym instead and have made an appointment with my physio for Thursday (which happens to be my birthday but it's not like I've anything else planned). It does feel quite a bit better now but I doubt I'd be saying that if I'd followed my heart instead of my head and gone for a run. Still hoping to run tomorrow but we'll see.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - will it be a road ultra or trail ultra?  Distance?

Mamafox - no need to just lurk even if you can't run at the moment, we're always pleased to hear from you.
    Well at least you've had the scan and can now discuss options with your running doctor.
    I just did a quick web search and it seems the right thing to do dealing with the tendinopathy first as the fissure might not be causing the pain, if so they might leave it alone.   I hope you're still able to do lots of walking with your lovely dog.

Have you had your Covid vaccinations now?  I think most of us on here are double jabbed now.

Is lockdown lifted in France now?

Cal - hope the diagnosis from your physio is good news, especially as it will be your birthday.  Did you do something to the hip/groin?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Didnt realise your birthday was the day after OH's
    Shades-Unsure yet,they have just sent an email out asking if clubs would be interested in entering a team.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - sounds interesting, might be on a similar course to the ultra you did, was it the Wirral Way?

Do you ever do off road races?

6 miles today, nice fresh morning again.

Gym later.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-No I don't,I did a couple of multi terrain races across road,trail and beach and hated it,it goes across rocks and I was too worried about getting injured,some were sprinting across them.
    Wirral way is about 13m long,so you can do multiple loops,it was part of the circular trail I did,the other 20 is road with a bit of grass.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    5 miles for me this morning. Aimed to do my 5x1k but after one set I realised it was never going to happen in my fasted state as I was struggling to hit anywhere near my goal pace. Hopefully it’s just that rather than a total loss of speed post mara/less miles. In the end I just did some fartlek to get the legs moving instead. Lesson learnt to do any higher intensity stuff later in the day. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, I usually find that faster stuff is easier later in the day too.  In my case, I wonder if it's just that I've been moving around all day so have loosened up a bit by then, but I'm not too sure really.

Ian, that sounds interesting.  Are you still hoping to get more into the longer distances?

MF, great to hear from you, but sorry you're having a tough time of it with no running :(  I can imagine it's getting you down as you've been out for a long time now :(  Let's hope the doctor comes up with a plan you're happy with once you've discussed options.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Yes I am,still have some targets at the marathon,and I have a list of races I want to do,but I can definitely see me combining it with longer races in the next year or 2.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - It makes sense I guess if you are mainly using carbs/glycogen in higher intensity stuff which is generally depleted when you wake up. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just been for my latest physio,
    Physio "have you run much since I seen you 2 weeks ago"
    Me " I did 32 miler"
    Physio "that's good over 2 weeks:
    Me "that was in 1 race"
    Physio nearly collapsed   :smile:
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I thought you weren't that keen on some of the off road stuff.   

Re the ultras, perhaps a trip to do Comrades one day?

When travel is back on the agenda you can always pop over to Ireland, quite a few road ultras there.   Some are combined with half and full marathon events so OH can race too, unless by then you've lured her into the dark world of ultras.   ;)

Rcouture - many runners can't do the speedwork early in the day, even if not fasted some struggle.   Late afternoon is supposed to be the sweet spot for most runners.   So definitely not a loss of fitness for you.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 said:
    Just been for my latest physio,
    Physio "have you run much since I seen you 2 weeks ago"
    Me " I did 32 miler"
    Physio "that's good over 2 weeks:
    Me "that was in 1 race"
    Physio nearly collapsed   :smile:
    Ha, ha brilliant
  • MF seems to be a few tough years from you, the good news is the MRI has highlighted the issue so you can start the healing progress.

Ian missed your 5k post, probably sensible dropping when you did, it wouldn't have been much fun running by yourself, strange how people identify being lapped as slow but not considering the context of the time of others.

Shades I was fortunate to speak with Lasitskene's (Russian High jumper) coach when volunteering at Heathrow for the 2017 world athletics, questioned how to you train for high jump.  alot of work goes into the mental side of things and studying techniques and flexibility training.

Rcouture, always have a breakfast before doing any speedwork myself, do a few longer runs fasted as the pace is slower.

6 miles this morning with the new fenix watch, it didn't make me a faster runner lol.  It's a fair bit heavier than the 235 but felt comfortable even on my little wrists.  It was warming up by when I finished at 8:30, think we have a few cooler days to look forward to after today.

ATW had a 10k cancelled due at the weekend by the local council, it's at a park where the police advised people not to travel as was overcrowded at the weekend.  It's also a base for a big tri of theirs the following week which isn't looking promising either.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Shades-Absolutely comrades is on the list,ideal world I get my DD time to where I think it should be, then I'm ready to go.
    Doubt OH will do an ultra, she can't get her head around walking in a race.MK have said their plans were based on the previous restrictions so they are still good to go,looks like she might be finally about to do a race.
    Rob-I remember marshaling the road relays a few years ago and thought they were running really slow,the lead group was sub 15min 5k guys,I think when you watch people they seem slow
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - going to cool down here too in the next few days.    Shame about ATW's event being cancelled, we need some traditional British summer weather which will keep a lot of folk indoors.   The hot weather brings everyone out and about.

Ian - date for next year's DD is going to be announced on Saturday.   You might need an ultra distance somewhere in between DD's 32 and Comrades 55, to help with the training.

The reason your OH can't get her head around walking in a race is because she hasn't done enough/any marathons.   We all know that during a tough marathon walking seems like a brilliant idea (at the time).  :o

That's good news about MK.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian/Robert, it is strange about people seeming slow. When I’ve watched Olympic tris and London Marathon even the elites seem slow. I think they can make it look easy, which kind of looks like they’re not pushing I suppose, which then makes them appear slow. But of course since I’ve been a runner I know they’re not slow, and they are actually working hard!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I am about a minute per mile slower if I go out at 6am compared to if I go out at 9am. It's all down to stride length - obviously I am much stiffer first thing, even with a warm up and mobility work beforehand.

Shades, the hip/groin thing is the same thing that I've had problems with for a while (it was a year ago that I had to take time out with it) and that'll be what is causing the knee issue. Something's obviously jammed up in there so I'm hoping Toby can loosen it up a bit.

I did go out for a run today - 5 miles very slow at 6am. Knee twinged a bit during the first few strides but then settled. It was already warm and humid so I was well over 11 minute pace for most of it. Groin ached a bit after but is not too bad at the moment.

I am very much looking forward to cooler weather. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - oh no, recurring injuries are so frustrating.   Hope this time you can get shot of it faster and not lose any more training time.

I'm fed up of this warmer weather too.   Gym was lovely and cool.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Went out for 8 miles or so,decided to do it at a decent pace to see how it felt for next week,ended about 3:17 pace but felt really hard,when I stopped I realised I was drenched in sweat so must have been more humid than I realised.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - 3:17 pace is pretty good in the heat, plus it's only a couple of days since you had to bin the 5km so must still be some DD in your legs.
    Forecast to be cooler at the end of the month too.

I see Liverpool have their marathon 24th October, permit on RunBritain.  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I entered liverpool a few weeks ago,3 weeks after Chester so ideal timing.Gran Canaria have announced a different marathon in Maspalomas for Nov 14th so thinking about that.
    I have no idea about pace for MK,that seemed a bit fast today.I did 3:36 at Windermere,I'd imagine it's a couple of mins slower than MK,and wasn't full out so pretty sure I could have gotten 3:25-30,so maybe 3:20 for MK sounds realistic?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, it's great to read you've got a few race plans.  I'm useless at advising on race paces, as I struggled with it for my own race (Shepperdine) with no smaller races to help give an idea of what I was capable of.  Maybe go out at 3:20 as you say, and just see how you feel as the race progresses and adjust pace accordingly.

Lots of faffing earlier in the day meant no Zwifting until mid-afternoon, but I got on there for a couple of hours and enjoyed it again.  There's a Zwift race tomorrow morning I'm signed up for as part of a team time trial, so that will be x-mins of pain, no doubt!  I suppose it is a little odd that I am using the bike way more now that it is on the turbo compared to when it was it was just a road bike.  I've no real urge to get it off the turbo and take it for a ride outside, even though the weather is good.

Hammie is still not quite right, so there's been no running for nearly a week now.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I hope it improves soon, Big G. If it's anything like mine, it takes ages. Mine still grumps at me but is at a level I can more or less ignore it.
    My groin isn't aching this afternoon so looks like I got away with that run.
    I am tempted to do a birthday run early tomorrow but the forecast is saying thunderstorms so I might have to forget it.
    I've bought myself a cake, anyway.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - Happy Birthday, enjoy the cake 🎂

Good news on the groin, that would be a good birthday present, i.e. not injured.

I like running in thunderstorms, I find the thunder and lightening quite exhilarating, more than 10 mins of torrential rain not so much fun though.

Ian - I think 3:15-3:20 pace would be a sensible pace for MK, of course a lot will depend on the weather as likely to a fair bit warmer/more humid than Windermere or DD.

That's good about Gran Canaria staging another marathon, November could be a tricky time re Covid though, but who knows.   :/

You must have quite a few marathons lined up for the autumn now.

Big G - is the hamstring niggle/injury improving?   Are you still doing your strength work?

7 miles for me today.   Very dark with promises of rain but annoyingly it just started after I got home, I enjoy a run in the summer rain.   Calf is a bit sore so have cancelled the gym and rebooked for tomorrow instead.