Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Come over if you get the chance Reggie.
    I'm hoping Scotty might turn up too.

Off for a club sesh of 5x5mins tonight. Interestingly posed as 16secs a mile quicker than 5k pace :D 
    but club sessions tend to pitch these for the middle of the group at best.

Realistically that looks more like a threshold type sesh to me - espedcially for what apparently is going to be 24 degrees, "feeling like 27" looking at BBC weather.

My pal who always escalates things (he'd say I do!) isn't there tonight, so that should help the staying sensible mood.
    5mins I expect will feel like one heck of a long rep tonight, so will try and do what the "clever" people do and ease in, and if needs be ramp up later

Jools - your maniac behaviour should not reduce your sympathy for us "norms" ;)
  • I enjoyed the heat today for my lunchtime run. If you don't have to push it and can ease it back a notch or two then pootling along in the sun alongside the River Thames is a nice way to pass an hour. 
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    SQ - Good solid run mate, although as SG alludes, that makes me think of my young naïve days doing long races in the summer!

SG - The 15.45 man was who I thought. Fancy shoes though I presume? You are right though, the old blokes who were quality in their youth are a pain in the arse when they start competing again!

Love the idea of Reggie stood on the bow Titanic style giving SG some grief ;)

Awful 5m tootle last night - and 16 x 400 over the field at lunchtime went ok gladly. Thought i'd be big time and wear the NB England vest LOL. Well I don't get to wear it otherwise!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SC - had to check, but yeah a pair of the Next.

I saw the originals have dropped to the price of the Next2, so with a 15% discount code I thought I'd get a pair in. Mostly for "proper" road stuff when ever it resumes.

The photos don't do them credit. Insane looking things, with massive sharp ark at the back, and the thinnest plastic ever on the upper.
    I'm hoping my donkey big toes and heel striking ugliness don't shatter them on run 1 :D 

5x5mins last night. No real idea on pace, as it's a 380m grass track for starters, and we changed direction for the last 2. Clockwise/anti clockwise affects pace on my garmin too!

Amused me people were posting their paces on strava. Most likely they were turning over 10secs or so slower I'd say.
    It's not even like you could use lap times either, as 1) it's not 400m, and 2) we weren't doing a fixed amount / up to a certain defined measurement line either!

Decent though. Felt fairly comfortable and I'd guess somewhere in the 10k to threshold mix.
    Was never going to be 16secs a mile quicker than 5k pace, that's silly and probably only valid for 24-25min 5kers who ironically probably don't have a clue on pace zones anyway!
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Yes for something like that on Strava you should most likely just call it 'Ran around a bit in a training session and got tired' The Alphas do look silly tbh. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    These are the Next, but I'm sure the Alphas are even sillier, in price and look.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Bloody bollocks!  Had to abandon a run 2 miles in and walk back yesterday as the hamstring flared up. Still pretty sore today so bike tonight and doesn't bode well for my trip to the Lakes at the weekend, either for the long drive or doing anything when there!  My own fault - frustrating day on Monday and took it out on a short but pacey run, which on reflection, having done my longest for some time the day before was a bad idea... feckin eejut!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Had a call from a number I didn't recognise at 4.15. Only answered it as I thought it could be some car people about a little query.
    Was a pal from about a decade ago, telling me they had some vaccines going if I could get to Wycombe's ground by 4.30!

Bit of a stretch, but some "motivated" driving got me there just after, and second jab on board.
    Just 5 weeks after the first one, but 4 weeks is the minimum time apparently so all good.

As long as no surprises with Sunday's trip ahoy but 3 clear days in between.
    Last time was 2 clear days then the BP 5k and that came out the best of my 4 this post lockdown period.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Not great Bus.
    But just a couple of steps back on the rehab plan and take it on board as a "don't" for next time.
    Plenty of time for some angry smashfests when you're properly back.

Maybe a disciplined total rest for 2 days, and some dull stretching strengthening guff and the trip can still be some long walks or gentle ones at least.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    That’s a fecker Bus. Hope you manage some decent walking up there at least.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    That's annoying Bus, take you bike, do the FW   :)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cheers chaps. Can't say I'm feeling like a massive well of positivity with the world right now!

I'm considering it Reg (taking the bike that is, not the FW - I could barely do the Fred Basset!!!). Bike is in desperate need of a service though, so a bit nervous of getting stranded somewhere (especially given my recent luck!).

Also need to work out how to get it in the car :smile:

16M on the bike last night and a walk tonight the best I can muster currently.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Chin up Bus. These times are annoying, but you've always come through them, and worse before, so am sure you'll be back. At least you're still not missing a great amount race wise!

Suddenly changed from hot and humid to pouring rain today.

Picked a foolarse route up through the woods - probably the steepest version, so it came out 10mins for mile 1 (!) and then I'd overlooked that the route into Flackwell, where you can normally run ok on the side verges, was massively overgrown, making for a bit of a stop start stand aside as cars passed job.
    Next 6 miles more sensible though, and that's in effect 2 full days rest now until a 9am Sunday race.

The "Golden" mile looks more likely to be a "miserable rainy" mile right now, but it's all good - adds to the excuse locker if needs be, when I put a 5.47 mile in :D 
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Just popping in to wish Jools good luck on his epic tomorrow (I think). Big run - even by your usual mad standards! 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Forgot that was tomorrow! Good luck Jools - DBS!!!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Can get a taster of the mentalism involved there.

And there was me thinking my 4 hour round trip to race 4miles was on the mad end of the scale :D 

I will fill the need for a race report now then :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Gosport Golden Mile & 5k

Having stumbled across this double in 2017, which was one of my best running experiences, on a glorious day, and gone back in 2018 for a more windy version, I was disappointed it clashed with Endure in 2019, and then of course was binned off in 2020.

As the older you get the more you realise you don't have infinite years full stop, let alone at decent pace, I made sure to get signed up for this one, with no particular expectations, aside from having a nice little trip down there, and racking up two more races for 2021, having sat at only 4 by mid June!

I'd originally seen the mile was a 10am start, almost papped myself when they said it was 9am, and then relaxed a bit when they eventually decided on 9.30am

The mile was to be seeded, and I'd put down 5.05, genuinely not knowing if I was being optimistic, or sandbagging! in 2017 I did 4.56, and in 2018 I did 5.10. The difference of still versus windy, as I was in monster shape in 2018 summer.

Woke up at 5.45am feeling wrecked. Dreadful sleep, and it felt like a proper race day :D

Had pencilled in 6.30-6.45am "latest" for the departure, so, obviously left at about 7 :)

Slightly taken back by the sat nav saying it'd take 1hr 58. Heck! Thought Gosport was 1hr 40.
    Always catches me out does Gosport.

Not much margin for error, or any of my infamous "take the wrong turning" and cost myself 15mins shenanighans today :)

Luckily - perfect drive down, with obligatory unnecessary long 50zone on an untouched M27 near the end.
    The last bit to Stoke Bays road always seems to take ages, but all arrived and had managed to gain back 10mins or so, for a comfortable 8.50 or so arrival.

To this overcast view

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Parking is beautifully close, so I strolled the 50metres over to the organisers, pleased to feel only a light wind, and then was told the sign up area was the OTHER end, by the mile start :)

Quick change, and little jog down there, and suddenly it was nearing 9.30.
    Same number for both races, and chip in the number - perfect, wish all races would do that, so much easier.

The format of the Nice Work races, is 12 in a proper race, just lining up ever so slightly distanced. But to all intents, a proper mini race. All seeded in the mile - so even better.

I'd seen a 4.45 and a 4.55 in the entries, so I was 3rd seed on paper. Then it went to 5.30s.

I'd seen the 4.45 guy before, from previous south coast jobs battling fairly closely. Big fella, muscular, but red hot speed these days. He's down to 1hr 11 halfs these days!

There were 3 mates from Portsmouth down who would make up the running behind him, alongside me.

Race is off, and 4.45 guy storms off, I'm in second, and it's that first quarter where it feels comfy, but is probably too fast.

I can literally feel the rivals on my shoulders, which is unsettling me a bit, as I thought I'd be 3rd at this stage with acres behind :D 

Come half way it feels like my usual miles, doesn't particularly feel like I'm going mad leg wise, but breathing hard. The pace shows about 5.10 but I can still feel people on my shoulder.

We're into the second half now, past the crowded part of the prom, and past the lads wheeling canoes across the route :D 

I relax a bit here mentally, as we're on the run in, and I can start to feel it's only me and the 4.55 guy close by. 
    He comes past on 0.8miles, but I'm actually going really well, and I'm gonna get well under 5 :D 

Over the line on 4.56 on my watch, with the split being 4.56.23 or so, so I'm expecting that'll go to 4.57

Hopeful it doesn't somehow creep further up, but I took it on the line and only started the watch on the mat...so fingers crossed. Either way it'll be under 5 (he says ;) )
    Slightly surprised the guy in 2nd reported 4.58, but I suspect he started his watch too early, and he started behind me slightly too. Think the winner "only" did 4.50 so a bit under his prediction.

3rd place, so hopefully that's one of the "sought after" tenners off retail price in specific south coast store vouchers coming my way ;)

I jest, but we win so few pots/prizes, i'll lap that up for sure!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    About an hour until the 5k then, and I spend the first 20mins revelling with the guys ahead and behind. None of them are hanging about for the 5k strangely. But I suppose it makes more sense for a distance traveller like me to do both, and if you're local the mile is plenty.

Two of the Portsmouth lads had the Next on. Both original and version 2.
    Helped to beef the quality up a little having them there.

It does tend to attract some quality runners at times, albeit in small numbers. Alex Teuten did 4.11 in 2017!

Thought there was no point doing a warm up in the next time, as I sort of knew the mile was the "real" work of the day, and the 5k was a bonus. And also that my "heat" for the 5k, not being on seeding, was a right mix of paces to say the least!

Instead used it as a chance to hydrate a bit, and relax.
    It had turned a little warmer by this stage. All hints of rain had disappeared totally too.

10.30 and the 5k was up.
    I'd originally asked to go in heat 2, thinking I'd at least have people to hunt down, with 3min gaps in between heats.
    However, I ended up in a heat with 11 others leading the race off. The 4 or 5 who quoted a time were all 30-40mins.
    There was a Belgrave guy though, he'll be quality I thought.
    65 years old! So the quality is as per age category.

I had a further look. One 18.18 guy so I thought, ah that might be a bit of shared running.

It wasn't. The organiser took one look at the 12 of us, and called me and another guy to the front.

Off we go, and even at steady opening, I can feel it's won after 100metres.
    I never thought I'd say something like that. I always remember an international winning the Wycombe half saying similar, and I thought what the frig.
    But yes...you can sense it sometimes!

When 1km, with a little bit of wind, came out 3.35 or so, I knew today's 5k would be more your tempo-ee sort of hard but comfortable job.

The first mile is the reverse of the mile, and then just after creeps into this sort of footing

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Not "that" bad to set us off then, but offroad doesn't help the pace.

It carries on for longer than I'd remembered, and then inclines a bit, and then goes round a corner into this stuff

Not sure the photo does it credit as some of it was deep, and it must have looked farcical some lanky goon trying to storm through it :D:D 

I'd not remembered this from 2017 where I did 17.50 - but the critical difference back then was I was in a very competitive race. Without that, there was no chance of upping the intensity.

Round another bend, thankfully out of this stuff, and an arrow pointing seemingly on, when right looked more like it

You could be excused for thinking straight on was into a dead end/someone's yard, and to the right was the road, but no, luckily it was straight on, and yet more offroad, and the reverse of what we'd done earlier.

Was slightly surprised, but shouldn't have been, to see almost all of the field, on the way back, many of them being very supportive and kind.

Finally back onto the glorious prom footing, and tonnes of people were out, and loads clapping and shouting positive stuff.
    I felt a bit sheepish at the "how fast is this guy" sentiments, as I realised I'd be well into the 18s and if I'm honest could have done another few km at this effort :)

However, bootleg standard excepted, it was pretty nice rampaging down the prom, knowing I'd be winning this heat at least, and hopefully, though no real idea, overall too... tbc that one, as no results out yet.

Over the line for 1830 and on finishing just enjoyed some chat with the organisers. I think that said it all, as most races are an on the floor job.

However, it felt the right effort today, and the mile was the real quiz.

2nd seemed to take ages to come in after, and I wonder whether he was the 18.18 guy from the Gosport midweek series (faster course - no shale/beach section!) after all, or whether the mile had smashed him!

No prize giving or anything due to the covid rules, but I dare say something may come in the post in due course for both probably - albeit just the hard to use vouchers :D 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice couple of medals, and another decent little trip. Has been a long time since a south coast trip.
    Made the mileage up to 10 all in after, for a 57mile week, jabbering to anyone who would listen.

2 hour drive home, and happy to sit and refuel the rest of the day!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    They took until 9.30 pm to get the results up, and the friggers have somehow made my mat to mat self timed 4.56.23 up to 4.59 in the results  :o

2nd at 4.57 and winner 4.54.

Thank goodness that still gets in under the magical 5 though.

Won overall in the 5k though. 18.32 given, and second fastest 19.22, then 3rd was 21.51

Blooming heck!

The guy who was second over the line actually did 22.11, so no wonder it felt ages until he was in!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ok...i sheepishly realise what's happened now :D 
    Obviously the mile auto split kicked in, i took the mat split, and that was the difference...doh :)

Still should have been 4.58 though.
    But as we were...and time for someone to else to post now 

5mile morn run.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Nice one SG, I can testify to the lack of wind, we were due to sail back from East Head near Chichester and had to motor all the way back to Gosport instead. My only exercise over the weekend was a 15 minute swim around the boat and a bit of diving in the Marina, trying without success, to retrieve my brother-in-laws spectacles from the bottom of the marina. My ears seem to tell me my head is going to implode after about 2-3 metres down so I never even got to the bottom!

Look forward to the report Jools, total madness, all that time and not even any cycling involved!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    I'm shocked at my lack of analysis skills, from the not realising why my time was 2secs different in the mile, to initially thinking someone was 3mins behind in the 5k :open_mouth: - i realise that was a chip versus gun job!

Looking properly now, there was a guy 18secs behind in the 5k, but in a different heat. And someone "Only" 50 or so seconds behind in my heat.
    What a carry on - a win is a win though!! phew.

Sounds a nice relaxed one Reggie.
    Hope Jools report is as lengthy, but without the analysis issues :D  
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Good work Jools - Pictures look great. SG - Well done on the races, can't wait to do the Shapwick mile again in deepest Dorset!

Did a 4 x 200 plus a 400 session Friday in the pissing rain, but my quad tightened quite dramatically in the last set, which was worrying, with the Southern masters 1500m tonight at Battersea. Its was 'ok' Saturday during a 5 miler, so will see tonight. Obviously the weather is doing it's thing again.

There's a Sri Chimnoy 5k I can watch when I'm warming up too, thats a bonus.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Weird move by Wokingham Half, scheduled for September and they have moved it to Feb for its usual slot. They're blaming Covid but unless they are retarded that can't be the real reason. Restrictions will have been lifted by then and I am not sure February is a better bet!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    That is a strange move.

I expect they had it pencilled in that this week or next is where they press the button on the main expenses, and they were expecting all restrictions would be off by now, and no issue at all.
    Then it got delayed a month and it has made them nervous.

Maybe entrants have been similarly cautious and the numbers don't add up well either.

Always looked an odd time slot. Early/mid September means you're doing your long distance training right through summer which isn't ideal.

Wonder if any other September/October postponed events are thinking similarly?

• Stevie G said:
    That is a strange move.

Always looked an odd time slot. Early/mid September means you're doing your long distance training right through summer which isn't ideal.

You have too much of a runner's head. 

The race was last run in Feb 2020 and about 2,600 finished.

The first 122 runners were under 1:20 gun (122nd was some Datchet Dasher).
    The first 370 runners were under 1:30 gun
    The first 884 runners were under 1:45 gun
    The first 1594 runners were under 2:00 gun

So about 1,600 sub 2 hours, 1,000 over 2 hours. 

If you are a race organiser, are you worried about the 122 who can do a sub-80 half and bring in 122 entry fees or are you worried about the 1,000 or so souls who can't break 2 hours and still bring in 1,000 entry fees? 

The answer is pretty obvious, and then if you look at those 1,000 then are they more likely to train in the summer or winter?